• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
final-fantasy-7-remake.jpg
The mods stated we should make a general pre release thread for this game since there's so many threads about it.

What we know about this game

-Final Fantasy VII Remake will release in multiple parts, Each part will be a full game on the scale of the Final Fantasy XIII games (Kitase said the reasoning for this is because it wasn't feasible to make all of it in one game without cutting significant chunks out of the game and they didn't want to do that) There is further explanation in post #487 which i've threadmarked.
-Final Fantasy VII Remake is being developed using Unreal Engine 4
-FInal Fantasy VII Remake was originally being developed by Cyberconnect2, but has since been brought in house with Square Enix developers
-Directed by Tetsuya Nomura, produced by Yoshinori Kitase, Written by Kazushige Nojima, all 3 worked on the original game Nobou Uematsu is also working on the game.
- Naoki Hamaguchi (Co-director) and Mitsunori Takahashi (Battle Planner), was the lead battle planner for KH2
-This is not developed by the FFXV team, and it's combat system is different from XV.
-Final Fantasy VII Remake will release March 3rd 2020
-The first game will take place in Midgar on multiple Blu Ray discs

What we dont know about this game

-How many games there will be

-The release dates of the other games

Reveal Trailer

2019 Gameplay Trailer

E3 2019 Trailer

And here are links to the official Japanese and global websites for the game:
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffvii_remake/
https://ffvii-remake.square-enix-games.com/

Here's a detailed summary of FF7 remake interviews.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kbqssZSyZE5OASLQn2SlGCt-GA/edit#gid=162353263

https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/remake-interviews-catch-all-thread.17121/

If there's something you would like added to the OP please just @ me or quote me so i get an alert and i'll add it to the OP as soon as i can.

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see a general discussion thread. Given the amount of discussion that's come from a trailer that was just over a minute it's going to be a glorious nightmare once they show more at E3.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reposting gifs
Aerith start:
CraftyScrawnyAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif

Cloud first fight
ThankfulResponsibleHoiho-size_restricted.gif

AVALANCHE
AjarGiddyBear-size_restricted.gif

AnySecondaryDoe-size_restricted.gif

Cloud + Aerith
ThankfulRegalKitty-size_restricted.gif

SEWERS + APS
SardonicWavyLeech-size_restricted.gif

Fights
GracefulCelebratedConey-size_restricted.gif
EasygoingCalmLadybird-size_restricted.gif

Big Shot
ArcticScratchyFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

Cross Slash
CostlyFeminineFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

Moving outside battles or cutscenes
LoathsomeAdorableIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

Attack while it's tail is up!
MedicalWhisperedCondor-size_restricted.gif

Cloud + Sephiroth
BlaringNaturalHatchetfish-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between directed and produced?

Nomura is the creative vision behind this game, the designs, the combat system, the general structure and gameplay loops, the tone, all of that is him. Producer can mean alot of things to alot of different developers, producers typically make sure the game is going according to schedule and isn't going over budget, in this case Kitase is likely much more involved than that because Nomura works on multiple projects at once and isn't on FF7 every day.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
What if instead of Aerith you know whating, they make Cloud and Tifa and Barret and Vincent and Yuffie and Cid and Cait Sith, and Lightning, and

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
They have to keep the phrasing of that line in the game, right?

FFRK has that line in a textbox and then you get another one with something like "and you'll get zapped!". It could work like Barret screaming that, the player rushing in and getting zapped and Barret berating Cloud for not letting him finish the phrase.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Unreal engine? So It will be multiplatform in the end....nice.
Hopefully they will handle this remake with a care long lost from squaresoft times

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This is still quite baffling to me. SE outsourced FF 7 Remake? wtf?!

On paper it actually made alot of sense.

-All of Square Enix's internal teams were busy with other projects (FFXIV, FFXV, KH3, etc)
-It's very difficult to recruit HD developers in Japan
-Cyberconnect2 makes HD action RPGs
-They've worked with Square Enix and Nomura in the past
-They were familiar with Unreal Engine 4 (This is absolutely huge)

For whatever reason, it just didn't work out.

Unreal engine? So It will be multiplatform in the end....nice.

It was originally announced as a timed PS4 exclusive, but that marketing/language was removed from the recent trailer, so i think there's a pretty good chance it launches day and date with PS4/XBO, possibly even PC. We'll see next month.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
ArkhamFantasy , maybe it's worth adding/acknowledging other staffs such as Naoki Hamaguchi (Co-director) and Mitsunori Takahashi (Battle Planner or something...). Maybe also highlight the reason about the latter (e.g., worked on KH, KHII, Dissidia and Dissidia 012).

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Two questions:

-do we know if SE cometely rebooted the project after bringing it internally or did they keep some CC2 assets?

-do we know if they have a single team working on all parts or if they are split?

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:

-do we know if SE cometely rebooted the project after bringing it internally or did they keep some CC2 assets?

-do we know if they have a single team working on all parts or if they are split?

We don't know anything about CC2s departure, or what was kept/scrapped. If there is another team worked on this game then Square Enix hasn't said anything about it.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
To be completely honest, I actually like the little we've seen of this so far. I didn't mind sickly Cloud but the new model is good too, Aerith looks great and I have no real issues so far with anything else I've seen except the voice-acting in the trailers sounding kind of stilted/poorly directed (and even then it's only a few lines, it's hard to gauge the entirety of the voice direction from those). Nomura's statement a ways back about how Cloud is meant to be a dork also gives me some faith that maybe most of my trepidations (which were entirely about the presentation of the story and the characters) won't come to pass or it won't be as bad as I expected.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They basically have mini-teams working in parallel on all the locations. Shinichiro Biwa, a planner, explained the process:

https://thelifestream.net/forums/th...ws-catch-all-thread.17121/page-49#post-804254
He splits the process of creating a location in 3 parts
Part 1: Interpretation of the locations he is in charge of from the original FF7 game
part 2: Planning modifications/additions and alterations to the location, then getting them approved through meetings as well as deciding how much resources are needed.
part 3: Actually implementing the above, then polishing up the location.

He says that because the story is already decided and the game has a linear progression (story wise) how to design a location depends on the battle scenarios that take part in it, from necessary character motions and actions to how vertical the area must be, the events/setpieces that will take place in the area etc, all are taken into consideration before creating the location
aka they use the original as direct reference on what will happen in each area, then adapt that to the new combat and additional events, taking into account how the characters will move and what actions they will have available etc then they create the location.

During the planning phase of a location they include all the elements that make up the game such as scenario, actions, terrain type, topography.
The resources ordered/asked for each location include everything, from experts on bug stuff, to character designers, scenario writers, cutscene directors, UI designers and motion directors, even texts for NPCs.

Once all this is done they of course can't just implement them arbitrarily, it is necessary to responsibly implement all the resources used and of course there are always issues and shortcomings that will be visible here and there so they promote revisions and when they move forward to the next location they keep in mind "how can we improve even more on this one".

For the above reasons the amount of work constantly gets increased but that is something that can't be helped/is inevitable since that's exactly what allows them to achieve what they really want freely. Even when keeping the games volume in mind the amount of work they have to do for each location seems as if you're making a game from 0 and because of that there is a lot of enthusiasm.

He also confirms that the planning phase for all locations is already settled, they have already entered the "building/making" phase and the locations are already taking shape, and getting closer to how they have imagined them every day.

Last interesting part, he was asked what is the most difficult time during work and he said
"When a great idea doesn't get realized as intended due to technical difficulties which then forces modifications on the initial plan, or when someone else comes up with a brilliant new idea which makes me feel bad for myself for not coming up with it.
Because when you're feeling like you have given all the great ideas you could come up with and then someone else comes with a new overwhelmingly good idea you feel the frustration."

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop reading/discussing everyone's thoughts about this game. Counting down the days to E3.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop reading/discussing everyone's thoughts about this game. Counting down the days to E3.

I know, i fucking love it. I'm actually very spoiler sensitive so i typically stay out of threads like this and avoid trailers after the initial gameplay reveal, but since i already know the major plot points of this game i'm actually participating in all the speculation and trailer break down threads and it's so much fun!

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, to bad that there's only one spot to talk about FF7 now. I liked seeing several threads taking up space on the home page.

So hyped for this game. I'm pretty sure it could suck and it would still be my goty.

I never realized how bad Clouds design was in the first trailer until this most recent one. I think the characters are looking pretty good and it's crazy to see the diversity in characters at such a high quality scale.

The combat is actually sounding promising too.

Game of the Year 2019!

May 13, 2019
I can only hope they actually keep some of the bizarre enemies from the original game.

What I am trying so say is that if I don't run into a giant robotic dollhouse throwing nukes with reckless abandon in Midgard, the game will be dead to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.