• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to be "officially dating" to have mutual feelings for each other. Which is obviously the intent in the relationship

Cloud and Aerith were never an "official couple" but they still had feelings
And neither were Tifa and Cloud. I don't know where this "they were clearly an item" came from. They didn't have the balls tk even Confirm this on Advent Children even when they were apparently living together (we don't even know if they slept in the same room even).

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It's been a while, but didn't Tifa and Cloud sleep together before the final mission if you played the "date mechanic" to perfection? Under the Highwind. Although yeah, they obviously didn't want to explictly commit to that post-VII.

This is the second time I've talked about shipping today, I hope y'all areproud.
I think it's pretty nice, although I prefer AC Cloud personally.
I don't know, maybe it's the face being so long and soft, and the hair so stiff :( Or me comparing him to Smash's Cloud, who I quite like.

I think it ultimately has to do with how plastic-like he looks under the game's renderring, although I do like how other characters (like Locke) look.
I remember Team Ninja had to do over 100 takes to get approval for Cloud's face from Nomura lol.
Lol, yeah, that's very Nomura-like. I remember him not liking the original direction of a Remake trailer CC2 had presented to him (I think it was regarding the E3 announcement).

My headcanon is that one of the reasons CC2 got the boot had to do with the visual aspect of things not matching Nomura's wishes.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh is this a shipping thread now?
4df.jpg

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while, but didn't Tifa and Cloud sleep together before the final mission if you played the "date mechanic" to perfection? Under the Highwind. Although yeah, they obviously didn't want to explictly commit to that post-VII.

This is the second time I've talked about shipping today, I hope y'all areproud.

Cloud left the home because he got Geostigma and didnt want to be a burden

They also said they turned Tifa into a love interest the moment they decided Aerith would die. So obviously Aerith was the original plan

But no point in arguing shipping. The characters are great on their own not worrying about it. I remember this topic happening before and only lead to closure, so I am backing out before its too late

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to be "officially dating" to have mutual feelings for each other. Which is obviously the intent in the relationship

Cloud and Aerith were never an "official couple" but they still had feelings

Having feelings isn't a relationship. It leads to a relationship.
The question was if the post FFVII games made it canon that they were in a serious relationship, or if they left it ambiguous. Since the English script says Zack was an ex-boyfriend, and the Japanese just says he was a boy she liked.
The answer is they were never in a serious relationship before FFVII.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Emerald weapon lurking in the deep is one of the scariest things about ff7. Though I wonder why it could just never surface like diamond weapon. Probably would have wrecked shit up.

The weapons kinda blew actually. Ultimate sucked. Emerald stuck in the water. Diamond ok sister ray owned it. Ruby get out of the desert bitch. Sapphire taken out pre sister ray.

OMEGA lol

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having feelings isn't a relationship. It leads to a relationship.
The question was if the post FFVII games made it canon that they were in a serious relationship, or if they left it ambiguous. Since the English script says Zack was an ex-boyfriend, and the Japanese just says he was a boy she liked.
The answer is they were never in a serious relationship before FFVII.
CC sure made it feel more than just teasing it around. Original FF7 does not matter if it was changed later. SE seem to like to push it like they did. But we will see how they handle it now. Because I know they said they plan on changing some of the compilation content anyway. Zack will be more expanded on in the remake for sure, so that will be the final answer there. But its irrelevant. He died and she moved on. Then she died. Then Cloud kind of died, but she noped him out because she becomes OP after dieing

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, dude. She just looks so lifeless and doll like. They pretty much modernized each character while still maintaining aspects of their original design. I hope it's something better than this. I'm sure it will be considering how Jessie came out.

D6LieVEUcAM9MSJ.jpg

RIP Jessie

Thats gonna suck climbing that support tower

Jan 2, 2018
Hi there,a question from someone who has little to zero knowledge about FF7:
I went through some rumors over the years before the announcement and the thing that kep coming back is that remaking FF7 would be nearly impossible because the scale of the original is so big..may I ask how? is it the world itself? the plot? gameplay mechanics?
If you can,please keep your answer spoiler-free as I have managed to stay spoiler free so far and interested in buying the remake (:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Ahhh yes, the most detailed one. Sounds too good to be true, though, and I've been hurt before.

I'm still in the 3 episodes camp. Square will try to milk this remake for all that it's worth.

I'm with you on that last part. If the game was going to be split into just two parts I think they would have announced that from the get go. Instead they said episodic. If each part/episode is the size of a full game then I can't really see them doing more than three parts. I feel like anything more than that is just milking it and would stretch out the story.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 Episode 1: The ShinRa Menace

FF7 Episode 2: Attack of the Jenova

FF7 Episode 3: Revenge of the Planet

Oct 25, 2017
CC sure made it feel more than just teasing it around. Original FF7 does not matter if it was changed later. SE seem to like to push it like they did. But we will see how they handle it now. Because I know they said they plan on changing some of the compilation content anyway. Zack will be more expanded on in the remake for sure, so that will be the final answer there. But its irrelevant. He died and she moved on. Then she died. Then Cloud kind of died, but she noped him out because she becomes OP after dieing

Yeah. My take is
Zack asks her out.
She falls for him and plays coy. They clearly like each other.
Zack goes on mission and disappears due to being captured by Hojo.
Aerith thinks maybe he blew her off since he ghosted her but definitely isn't dead.
Years later feels him die.
Is unsure how to describe the relationship to Cloud because she's not sure if he really liked her since he ghosted her before.

Matches up with CC and the original nicely that way.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. My take is
Zack asks her out.
Aerith thinks maybe he blew her off since he ghosted her but definitely isn't dead.
Is unsure how to describe the relationship to Cloud because she's not sure if he really liked her since he ghosted her before.

Not like Cloud is an emotional state to ever sort out his feelings for anyone until AFTER AC is done and two ghosts and his friends tell him off

Not that I blame him. He just meets misfortune up until then

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I always thought that Aerith has feelings for Cloud but that was because he reminded her of Zack so much. It wasn't actually Cloud she was interested in.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope whoever brought it up doesn't regret what this may or may not turn into

Nov 23, 2017
I always thought that Aerith has feelings for Cloud but that was because he reminded her of Zack so much. It wasn't actually Cloud she was interested in.

That was my impression too of the Aerith and Cloud dynamic. Tifa definitely had feelings for Cloud but it was left more open if Cloud had feelings for her. They definitely banged under the Highwind if you got enough dating points. Honestly, I think the relationship between those two boils down to both of them not having enough stones for go for it.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I really want the few challenging portions of FFVII to be kept in and remain..well challenging. I hope the Ruby and Emerald battles stay in and be every bit as brutal as the original, also I'd like to see KoTR still be tough to get..if not the breeding and training Chocobos method at least hard/time consuming enough where not everyone will have that materia. I appreciated these few moments that felt like an actual accomplishment.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I really want the few challenging portions of FFVII to be kept in and remain..well challenging. I hope the Ruby and Emerald battles stay in and be every bit as brutal as the original, also I'd like to see KoTR still be tough to get..if not the breeding and training Chocobos method at least hard/time consuming enough where not everyone will have that materia. I appreciated these few moments that felt like an actual accomplishment.
Emerald is EZ

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda off-topic, but I've seen this mod for FF VII and holy fuck, it's perfect.

Seeing the character models actually look like Nomura's concept art is the best.

Man I dunno what you're talking about, that kinda looks and sounds like shit. The SFX and music are both low bitrate and the ui looks amateur

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Man I dunno what you're talking about, that kinda looks and sounds like shit. The SFX and music are both low bitrate and the ui looks amateur
I'm merely talking about the actual character models (the main characters) when in battle lol.

Any mod that tries to "fix" the music or the UI is usually shit. And let's not talk about the ones replacing field models with characters not looking like LEGOS (the scale is all fucked up as a result).

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Stop with your pick and choose remake. You want difficulty, keep the cheese.
You realize any cheap exploit in today's gaming environment will be plastered all over the internet 12 seconds after its discovered and ruin the entire point of the weapon battles..why even bother. This isn't 1997.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You realize any cheap exploit in today's gaming environment will be plastered all over the internet 12 seconds after its discovered and ruin the entire point of the weapon battles..why even bother. This isn't 1997.
Things like overflow are exploits but Cait Sith's game over limit break isn't an exploit (ignoring the mug glitch in that gif). Should Knights of the Round also do 20x less damage because it makes some battles easier? None of the "exploits" that can be used to kill things are easier to use than simply using normal mechanics that happen to be powerful.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Things like overflow are exploits but Cait Sith's game over limit break isn't an exploit (ignoring the mug glitch in that gif). Should Knights of the Round also do 20x less damage because it makes some battles easier? None of the "exploits" that can be used to kill things are easier to use than simply using normal mechanics that happen to be powerful.
I was responding to the mug glitch cause that's what you posted..in response to my post and now you're saying ignore that..K. Cait Siths game over should stay that's a chance thing not an exploit and I never said otherwise.

Anyway KoTR should stay overpowered cause it's tough/time consuming to get (which I already said I wanted to stay that way). And I 100% disagree with you that the exploits aren't easier to use than normal mechanics..of course they are.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I was responding to the mug glitch cause that's what you posted..in response to my post and now you're saying ignore that..K. Cait Siths game over should stay that's a chance thing not an exploit and I never said otherwise.

Anyway KoTR should stay overpowered cause it's tough/time consuming to get (which I already said I wanted to stay that way). And I 100% disagree with you that the exploits aren't easier to use than normal mechanics..of course they are.
If you were talking about the mug glitch then why would you be mad about that being in? It doesn't really affect anything.

When it comes to defeating enemies which is what I said, how is something like damage overflow easier than something like Game Over or multiple mime-kotr setups or something.

Explanation for why this is a multi-game project

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda off-topic, but I've seen this mod for FF VII and holy fuck, it's perfect.

Seeing the character models actually look like Nomura's concept art is the best.

This video kind of reminded me why I don't go back to these old FFs all that often anymore. It's not that I don't like ATB/turn-based/characters stand in a row waiting their turn to attack battle systems anymore but it's the random battles. It's jarring when you can't go 5 meters without another mind-numbingly easy battle.
Hi there,a question from someone who has little to zero knowledge about FF7:
I went through some rumors over the years before the announcement and the thing that kep coming back is that remaking FF7 would be nearly impossible because the scale of the original is so big..may I ask how? is it the world itself? the plot? gameplay mechanics?
If you can,please keep your answer spoiler-free as I have managed to stay spoiler free so far and interested in buying the remake (:
Those comments were made in relation to remaking FFVII in the style of the PS3 tech demo and when it was presumed to be a single game. The first thing to note is that the game is now being done in PS4 quality graphics. Just re-creating every location, every PC, NPC, enemy model, VFX etc. from the original game in this level of detail & modern production values is a whole lot of work, much moreso than the original. Probably doable in one go, but that's not all this remake is.

The original game is a fairly linear journey across a whole planet. It's not particularly massive when it's done with relatively few pre-rendered rooms, corridors & spaces & a miniature world map with very little detail that are separated by loading screens that can move you forward as much as the developers need you to be moved forward at any given time with no reason to worry what is around or between those pre-rendered backgrounds, but if you make it with a more realistic scale & make it all more seamless, as more modern game design dictates, that expands the workload a whole lot. Now you not only have to model everything that was in the original game (which is a lot of work already), but you have to fill in a lot of the gaps. I'm sure the remake won't be entirely seamless with no loading screens or fades to black, but it will be a lot more seamless than the original. Now running through Midgar won't greet you with a loading screen every 10 meters.

And everything is in full 3d, not just from a single POV like the original. So where they could previously just model a single front of some building, now they might need to model it from all sides. And they need to model what is in the distance/horizon everywhere. Originally they didn't need to think about what is to the left or back of what you were looking at but now the player might explore his surroundings and turn his/her/their camera towards directions that were never shown in the original. What do you see when you look back towards the path you came from going to a certain playable character's home? This plus now all cutscenes need to be carefully choreographed, animated (both body movements & facial animation) etc. on a level far beyond the originals simplistic emoting.

Remaking FFVII also has a "problem" in that it has sooooo many unique locations with very unique characteristics. A lot of big games like Spider-Man nowadays rely on procedural crafting of the environments and a lot of recycling of assets throughout the world. It's the same trees, flowers, tables & other basic assets repeated a lot throughout the world. FFVII's remake can't do this. Even Midgar alone, the starting city, has you go from different levels of slums/poor residential areas to factories & high tech labs & brothels with lots of unique aspects that need to be hand-crafted from top to bottom without much they can reuse from anywhere else in the game. Imagine FFVII Remake being more like Uncharted where you push forward constantly and around every corner there is a new unique ancient temple, icy mountain, magical forest, asian city, chocobo ranch or such and they need to make a lot of realistic-ish scale connective tissue between those that makes them make some resemblance of a sense.

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
If you were talking about the mug glitch then why would you be mad about that being in? It doesn't really affect anything.
I mean it skips the KoTR animation that means something in an Emerald battle without the underwater materia but I'll leave that aside it's not huge deal so that's fine whatever.

I'm simply saying I would prefer the known glitches (forget mug) to beat the weapon battles not be purposefully carried over...you disagree?..Ok. In today's environment glitches are instantly exploited..you can watch a YouTube video to see exactly what to do to trigger the exploit before ever starting the game..kinda ruins the point of what's supposed to be a tough encounter.

When it comes to defeating enemies which is what I said, how is something like damage overflow easier than something like Game Over or multiple mime-kotr setups or something.
Because having a maxed out Vincent with death penalty (something that will probably happen just from playing through the game) to get the overflow glitch isn't nearly as hard as beating the weapons normally..sure you won't get the overflow glitch the first time but knowing the exact method to get it and rinse repeating is certainly easier than fighting the whole battle normally. I don't get how this a point of contention.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Because having a maxed out Vincent with death penalty (something that will probably happen just from playing through the game) to get the overflow glitch isn't nearly as hard as beating the weapons normally..sure you won't get the overflow glitch the first time but knowing the exact method to get it and rinse repeating is certainly easier than fighting the whole battle normally. I don't get how this a point of contention.
Ok well we must have a different idea of how people play the game. Assuming the remake has the same mechanics as the original game (which it won't) I would imagine more people willing to do things like try to get RNG luck for Cait Sith's limit or do stupid mime-kotr or mime-counter limit break setups to kill Emerald then they would be willing to spend time kill nearly 2000 enemies with only Vincent just to have him deal max damage, let alone the 16000 kills or whatever is needed for overflow. It might be "easier" in the literal sense that it's less battle setup but I think more people would rather do one than the other.

Assuming they even felt the need to anyway. It's not like even Emerald or Ruby are that crazy without purposely OP setups.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Years later and I still get to watch the joy of people debating CloudXTifa or CloudXAerith.

whatyearisit.gif

On topic, the more I see of the classic materia system the more wary I am of the new combat in the remake. I know I won't be able to set up Cid to counter 20 times or something insane like that or have crazy Summon setups and such which kinda bums me out. Sure it'll look "flashy" but the strategy part of it is why I loved the materia stuff so much.

EDIT: Unless they add in some kind of gambit system which I highly doubt.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Ok well we must have a different idea of how people play the game. Assuming the remake has the same mechanics as the original game (which it won't) I would imagine more people willing to do things like try to get RNG luck for Cait Sith's limit or do stupid mime-kotr or mime-counter limit break setups to kill Emerald then they would be willing to spend time kill nearly 2000 enemies with only Vincent just to have him deal max damage, let alone the 16000 kills or whatever is needed for overflow. It might be "easier" in the literal sense that it's less battle setup but I think more people would rather do one than the other.

Assuming they even felt the need to anyway. It's not like even Emerald or Ruby are that crazy without purposely OP setups.
Well in my original FFVII save I have Vincent maxed out with death penalty just from playing through the game..granted I grinded a lot with my party but I certainly never made Vincent a focus. Of course this was 20 years ago so maybe I forgot exactly how much I used him but I'm just saying I had what was needed to get overflow without even knowing it was a thing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Well in my original FFVII save I have Vincent maxed out with death penalty just from playing through the game..granted I grinded a lot with my party but I certainly never made Vincent a focus. Of course this was 20 years ago so maybe I forgot exactly how much I used him but I'm just saying I had what was needed to get overflow without even knowing it was a thing.
You might be remembering wrong or were just a young grindlord. You need like 65000 kills to overflow normal enemies with Vincent lol. 15000 if you have a specific setup like four hero drinks deathblow berserk etc.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they will handle the summons in the remake. Imagine summoning Bahamut Zero or KOTR

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my take on the relationship thing:

Zack is steve rogers and aerith is Meggy Carter, they both have feelings for each other, and they never had their date.
Aerith likes cloud because he resembles her old crush and cloud in the original game he's a fuckboy he's interested in aerith and tifa
tifa likes cloud
jessie likes cloud

i like to think that the canon is that cloud liked aerith until her death, and after it he likes tifa.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
NT does have a unique style to it. So you may notice some minor differences. Though we most likely getting the Tifa we always get. Though NT Tifa will likely be 1:1 nearly with her classic design just in the NT style

While I am certain we getting the same for Remake, she may have alterstions to fabric and accessories. Even Aerith who has a different dress, from a glace you first think that is what she wears normally. Though its probably easier to animate too. Barret's the same way. So I am interested how they stick very closely to the classic look while putting a slight new spin on it. Or maybe she will be like Cloud and hardly anything at all

One thing that should be noted is that NT is 60fps unlike Remake, so the latter is going to have some technical advantages. Though it is mostly about the art style.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Those comments were made in relation to remaking FFVII in the style of the PS3 tech demo and when it was presumed to be a single game. The first thing to note is that the game is now being done in PS4 quality graphics. Just re-creating every location, every PC, NPC, enemy model, VFX etc. from the original game in this level of detail & modern production values is a whole lot of work, much moreso than the original. Probably doable in one go, but that's not all this remake is.

The original game is a fairly linear journey across a whole planet. It's not particularly massive when it's done with relatively few pre-rendered rooms, corridors & spaces & a miniature world map with very little detail that are separated by loading screens that can move you forward as much as the developers need you to be moved forward at any given time with no reason to worry what is around or between those pre-rendered backgrounds, but if you make it with a more realistic scale & make it all more seamless, as more modern game design dictates, that expands the workload a whole lot. Now you not only have to model everything that was in the original game (which is a lot of work already), but you have to fill in a lot of the gaps. I'm sure the remake won't be entirely seamless with no loading screens or fades to black, but it will be a lot more seamless than the original. Now running through Midgar won't greet you with a loading screen every 10 meters.

And everything is in full 3d, not just from a single POV like the original. So where they could previously just model a single front of some building, now they might need to model it from all sides. And they need to model what is in the distance/horizon everywhere. Originally they didn't need to think about what is to the left or back of what you were looking at but now the player might explore his surroundings and turn his/her/their camera towards directions that were never shown in the original. What do you see when you look back towards the path you came from going to a certain playable character's home? This plus now all cutscenes need to be carefully choreographed, animated (both body movements & facial animation) etc. on a level far beyond the originals simplistic emoting.

Remaking FFVII also has a "problem" in that it has sooooo many unique locations with very unique characteristics. A lot of big games like Spider-Man nowadays rely on procedural crafting of the environments and a lot of recycling of assets throughout the world. It's the same trees, flowers, tables & other basic assets repeated a lot throughout the world. FFVII's remake can't do this. Even Midgar alone, the starting city, has you go from different levels of slums/poor residential areas to factories & high tech labs & brothels with lots of unique aspects that need to be hand-crafted from top to bottom without much they can reuse from anywhere else in the game. Imagine FFVII Remake being more like Uncharted where you push forward constantly and around every corner there is a new unique ancient temple, icy mountain, magical forest, asian city, chocobo ranch or such and they need to make a lot of realistic-ish scale connective tissue between those that makes them make some resemblance of a sense.

Thank you for laying this out so well, it should be stickied for all the idiots who continue to proclaim that the Remake could easily be done in one game and Square are just greedy pricks. Although they're thankfully not as common here.

LOL. Sounds like the dude is being questioned for murder or something.

I mean he murdered his own credibility, soooo...

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. My take is
Zack asks her out.

i think aerith knew zack died, she has the connection with the planet thing, and knew when her mother husband died. Thats implied in crisis core, in the original game its not, but i believe that it makes sense she knew about it.

edit: yep in the original game she doesnt know about zack death, that's a crisis core thing, she says this:

"Aeris
What a shock... I didn't know Zack was from this town.

Cloud
You know him?

Aeris
Didn't I tell you? He was my first love.

Cloud

Aeris
Zack... SOLDIER First Class. Same as Cloud.

Cloud
Strange, there aren't that many who make First Class, but I've never heard of him.

Aeris
That's all right. It's all in the past now. I was just worried because I heard he's been missing.

Cloud
Missing?

Aeris
I think it was 5 years ago. He went out on a job, and never came back.
He loved women, a real lady's man. He probably found someone else...
Hey? What's wrong?"

Last edited:

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shipping thread? Shipping thread.

Cloud and Aerith.

Fav Cloud + Aerith ship moments. Can't for these in the remake.

tumblr_inline_nl4esrQFY81qh6wo2.jpg

@ Gold Saucer. By default it's C+A. For Tifa, the player has to do specific decisions.

FFVII_DateButYoureDifferent.jpg

Aeris
Wow, how nice.
Oh! Look, Cloud.
It's so pretty.

At length, she turns away from the window.

......it's beautiful, isn't it?
......first off, it bothered me how you looked exactly alike.
Two completely different people, but look exactly the same.
The way you walk, gesture...
I think I must have seen him again, in you...
But you're different.
Things are different.
Cloud...
I'm searching for you.

Cloud
............?

Aeris
I want to meet you.

Cloud
But I'm right here.

Aeris
(I know, I know...what I mean is...)