• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
What if they show a different demo, like the fight with Abse (the one showed in Japan, only).
That would be weird and, honestly, a waste of time and money.

They already have two demos: a short one (that should be kinda outdated by now) and a long one they're sitting on. The wording in the tweet makes me think they're going to use the short one (and, I mean, the leaked one is about 40 minutes long, which is a big no-no for a public demo).

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

They already have two demos: a short one (that should be kinda outdated by now) and a long one they're sitting on. The wording in the tweet makes me think they're going to use the short one (and, I mean, the leaked one is about 40 minutes long, which is a big no-no for a public demo).

Would not be unheard of, but if they were going to go to the trouble of making two demos, I'd expect both to be released, instead of one present at shows and another present on consoles. They might have them obtainable in different ways (see FFXV, where two demos were on PSN, one only for JP accounts, and one global; and the Duscae demo coming with Type-0 purchase).

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019

What´s weird about that? A demo different in the conference to the one in the PS Network would be the logical move. The fight with ABse could be an actual demo that we didn´t have access (only for presentations and others).

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this was posted before, but this vid has 1 and a half hours of HQ uninterrupted FFVIIR music.

it's great. but how is it not taken down yet? It's been up for a while.

THe new opening piece could cannot be any better than what they did. The subtle nod to you-know-who, the extended pan out, the logo climax, my goodness square how did you do this

Last edited:

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sky-tree Event Promo playing on the walls.

Note: Aerith's CG model in this video actually looks very different to me...

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you guys discussed this, but red is 100000% not going to be playable in remake.

Look at the latest trailer with the fight against Jenova.

You can only have 3 party members in your team, so we see cloud, aerith, and tifa, and yet there is red, on the battlefield.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing interesting I may have found:

cloud's remake limit break "Cross Slash" has a similar Starting animation to what Sephiroth uses (Octoslash) against Zack in Crisis Core.

Crisis Core: (see 11:46)

Remake: (see 0:37)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Sky-tree Event Promo playing on the walls.

Note: Aerith's CG model in this video actually looks very different to me...

It's hard to tell from this off-screen footage but I don't really see that big of a difference tbh.
I mean Aerith's CG took quite a change from May reveal to the later version we saw already..
They have been tinkering with some stuff, especially the lighting for the CG throughout the development so I do expect changes from early reveal.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
What´s weird about that? A demo different in the conference to the one in the PS Network would be the logical move. The fight with ABse could be an actual demo that we didn´t have access (only for presentations and others).
Making a public playable demo (both for gameshow booth and PSN) takes time and resources. The Abzu boss from TGS was possible because it was basically the devs playing the game from the development (also it was pre-recorded, not played live)

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Not sure if you guys discussed this, but red is 100000% not going to be playable in remake.

Look at the latest trailer with the fight against Jenova.

You can only have 3 party members in your team, so we see cloud, aerith, and tifa, and yet there is red, on the battlefield.
Why does him being on the battlefield confirm he's not playable? Couldn't it be that you select your main 3 party members and the 4th you can see fighting by your side but they're not controllable?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why does him being on the battlefield confirm he's not playable? Couldn't it be that you select your main 3 party members and the 4th you can see fighting by your side but they're not controllable?

It sounds like he joins way too late in the game to be worth programming as a full playable character and you'll get access to him as a full party member in part 2. So they're letting the player use him as a guest party member for a little bit at the end of the game.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
It sounds like he joins way too late in the game to be worth programming as a full playable character and you'll get access to him as a full party member in part 2. So they're letting the player use him as a guest party member for a little bit at the end of the game.
Yeah that's definitely possible. I was just saying I wouldn't use the footage of him fighting outside of the party as definitive proof of this happening.

I'd be ok with it if he's indeed just a guest member, for the reasons you stated.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Making a public playable demo (both for gameshow booth and PSN) takes time and resources. The Abzu boss from TGS was possible because it was basically the devs playing the game from the development (also it was pre-recorded, not played live)

I thought was been played live, the one next to Kitase was pressing the buttons on the controller (and it was shown). However, you may be right. It just that seems a bad move not to release a demo now. The anniversary on 31th was the perfect opportunity.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I thought was been played live, the one next to Kitase was pressing the buttons on the controller (and it was shown). However, you may be right. It just that seems a bad move not to release a demo now. The anniversary on 31th was the perfect opportunity.
The first part of the presentation was live (the bombing run and squat minigame). The controller showing was for the bombing run. The Abzu battle was pre-recorded.
I do agree with the demo release timing... and I won't be too surprised if the demo was delayed due to the game's delay as well. They probably wouldn't want too big of a gap between demo and the final release, and Jan 31st was about a month before release before the delay so it would have been ideal time, but with the delay 2 months+ seems a bit long for them I guess.

Nov 23, 2017
I think the demo will show up on PSN on March 3rd, the original release date. That's only around a month before the actual game releases. It's also after any show that would have the demo. That's just speculation on my part though.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
RE: Red not being playable per the Jenova fight footage-

This is still in Shinra Headquarters (I assume. NO LEAKS), so shouldn't there be more combat after that? Red as an assist during that fight could very well be a story/cinematic thing. After that maybe you can add him to the party?

Not sure why they'd go to the trouble of animating him for combat and giving him a move-set if you can't use him. But who knows?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
RE: Red not being playable per the Jenova fight footage-

This is still in Shinra Headquarters (I assume. NO LEAKS), so shouldn't there be more combat after that? Red as an assist during that fight could very well be a story/cinematic thing. After that maybe you can add him to the party?

Not sure why they'd go to the trouble of animating him for combat and giving him a move-set if you can't use him. But who knows?

From what I remember you only really fight a couple of times after recruiting Red (the boss immediately after getting him, the elevator boss, and the final Midgar enemy after doing the motorbike chase). I don't remember fighting regular enemies at that point, but I could be wrong.

Also Kingdom Hearts is filled with guest party members, it took till the KH3 Re:Mind DLC for three of them to become playable, and there are still a bunch left unplayable. Given the development pedigree shared between the two franchises it's pretty likely Red's in a similar boat.

And now I've written that, it'd be neat if we got an extra DLC episode where you play as Red XIII just before he gets captured by Hojo. Might mean revealing his true name early, though, and dunno how I feel about that.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
From what I remember you only really fight a couple of times after recruiting Red (the boss immediately after getting him, the elevator boss, and the final Midgar enemy after doing the motorbike chase). I don't remember fighting regular enemies at that point, but I could be wrong.

Also Kingdom Hearts is filled with guest party members, it took till the KH3 Re:Mind DLC for three of them to become playable, and there are still a bunch left unplayable. Given the development pedigree shared between the two franchises it's pretty likely Red's in a similar boat.

And now I've written that, it'd be neat if we got an extra DLC episode where you play as Red XIII just before he gets captured by Hojo. Might mean revealing his true name early, though, and dunno how I feel about that.

True.
I just wonder how they will handle his name in this series, as obviously the renaming element of the original is gone.
"My name is Nanaki. Hojo named me Red XIII because I was an experiment and a slave."
Team: "Ok, Red."

Kinda hope he's just called Nanaki, but Red XIII is burned into the original game and is iconic, so....

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
True.
I just wonder how they will handle his name in this series, as obviously the renaming element of the original is gone.
"My name is Nanaki. Hojo named me Red XIII because I was an experiment and a slave."

Kinda hope he's just called Nanaki, but Red XIII is burned into the original game, so....
My guess: Dialogue will still call him Nanaki. Menus will call him Red XIII.

Alternatively they'll give some plot reason that he wants to continue be called Red XIII. Maybe he rejects his name because of his father or something like that.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
True.

Kinda hope he's just called Nanaki, but Red XIII is burned into the original game, so....

My guess is he'll go with Red XIII up until Cosmo Canyon. In the original it felt kinda like he went with Red with the party entirely because he didn't quite trust them yet, but the programmers couldn't have it change later for story reasons due to difficulties with the code or... something.

They could make it work by having him "reclaim" the nickname Red as his own, too, if they really gotta keep it around.

It'd just be real weird if they don't address it at all, ever

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Red XIII not being playable would make sense even if it's a bummer and not what I was hoping for. He's probably going to be the most challenging character to design from a gameplay standpoint just in terms of making him feel right so it makes sense to not go through all the work of making him playable for such a short span of time.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
The first part of the presentation was live (the bombing run and squat minigame). The controller showing was for the bombing run. The Abzu battle was pre-recorded.
I do agree with the demo release timing... and I won't be too surprised if the demo was delayed due to the game's delay as well. They probably wouldn't want too big of a gap between demo and the final release, and Jan 31st was about a month before release before the delay so it would have been ideal time, but with the delay 2 months+ seems a bit long for them I guess.

Yeah, you´re right. Abzu fight was recorder. They also showed the bombimng mission at the start, but for some reason couldn´t remember it at first.

Also, I´m hopping for a demo release at March 3th (sadly).

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So, I don't want to link the tweet because I know ResetEra doesn't like to provide a platform for him, but SkillUp apparently went to some event to play the VII-Remake Demo last night. Hopefully this is a sign for some new impressions from others in the future as well.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SkillUp has defended a few controversial figures like PewDiePie in the past. I personally didn't find it to be distasteful enough to stop following him because I think he does the best game reviews on Youtube, but I also don't begrudge others who do.
He is undeniably one of the best reviewers in game. Anyhow, I know very little about that stupid Pewdipie dude but I imagine the 'defense' was probably just trying to put things into perspective. To each their own I guess.

Anyhow, I can't wait to hear what he says about the demo.... He played the original demo at e3 and thought it was unbelievable.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
He is undeniably one of the best reviewers in game. Anyhow, I know very little about that stupid Pewdipie dude but I imagine the 'defense' was probably just trying to put things into perspective. To each their own I guess.

Anyhow, I can't wait to hear what he says about the demo.... He played the original demo at e3 and thought it was unbelievable.
I just want more impressions in general! The combat system is hugely intriguing to me, maybe more than anything else.

Nov 23, 2017

I played the E3 demo too and it was absolutely stunning. Combat was perfection. Transitions were seamless. Didn't feel like a demo. Banter was fun. The one thing I didn't like is that I thought the camera was too zoomed into the characters but I'm hoping you can change that in the actual game.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if Red XIII is non-playable in all parts? On the one hand, you wouldn't control him, but on the other hand, he would potentially fight alongside you in every single fight (unlike playable characters that you take out of the active party), which would be kinda cool. Kinda like a more visible version of Shadow's dog Interceptor from FFVI. Or like a permanent version of the summons from FFXII, etc.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
My man Brad (from Easy Allies) is also playing some good old FF VII-R.

I'd be shocked if it isn't the new demo, considering he played the old one iirc.

EDIT: too slow lol.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played the E3 demo too and it was absolutely stunning. Combat was perfection. Transitions were seamless. Didn't feel like a demo. Banter was fun. The one thing I didn't like is that I thought the camera was too zoomed into the characters but I'm hoping you can change that in the actual game.
You can change camera distance, actually. That is one of the confirmed settings that leaked.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you can look at cloud's butt
lol, reminds me of Akihiko Yoshida's process for FFXII:

Bg9WPHs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.