• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
What if Red XIII is non-playable in all parts? On the one hand, you wouldn't control him, but on the other hand, he would potentially fight alongside you in every single fight (unlike playable characters that you take out of the active party), which would be kinda cool. Kinda like a more visible version of Shadow's dog Interceptor from FFVI. Or like a permanent version of the summons from FFXII, etc.

I doubt it tho

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I played the E3 demo too and it was absolutely stunning. Combat was perfection. Transitions were seamless. Didn't feel like a demo. Banter was fun. The one thing I didn't like is that I thought the camera was too zoomed into the characters but I'm hoping you can change that in the actual game.
I'm so psyched to hear that people like that combat. I'm really hoping they nail it. I made a whole thread a few weeks on how I feel like it would be a good "base" for the series to build on for a few installments.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
lol, reminds me of Akihiko Yoshida's process for FFXII:

Bg9WPHs.gif
Oh my god lmao

Nov 23, 2017
I'm so psyched to hear that people like that combat. I'm really hoping they nail it. I made a whole thread a few weeks on how I feel like it would be a good "base" for the series to build on for a few installments.
I absolutely feel that the VIIR combat has the potential to be the main combat for FF games going forward. It's a blast. I actually enjoyed using magic and whatnot. I am excited to see how much level grinding affects the combat though. In the original, I could grind some levels and just mash the standard attack over and over again on bosses. I'm wondering how being strong will play out in this game.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I absolutely feel that the VIIR combat has the potential to be the main combat for FF games going forward. It's a blast. I actually enjoyed using magic and whatnot. I am excited to see how much level grinding affects the combat though. In the original, I could grind some levels and just mash the standard attack over and over again on bosses. I'm wondering how being strong will play out in this game.
Honestly, I look at that combat system and I kind of want to see a Final Fantasy V remake with it, hahaha. I know the ATB has aged, but I did and still do love it, so to see it get an interesting modernization like this is really cool.

V is the secret best Final Fantasy. Come at me, bros.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, I look at that combat system and I kind of want to see a Final Fantasy V remake with it, hahaha. I know the ATB has aged, but I did and still do love it, so to see it get an interesting modernization like this is really cool.

Considering we've had multiple FF Games with jobs, I can definitely see a new FF going back to that well and incorporating some action combat to tailor to it. I'd love to see it. I don't need an FFV Remake for that though. I'd prefer a new game.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

I just.. I can't with V. The job system is well done but two or three classes just dominate and the rest of the game is meh.

But carry on!

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Considering we've had multiple FF Games with jobs, I can definitely see a new FF going back to that well and incorporating some action combat to tailor to it. I'd love to see it. I don't need an FFV Remake for that though. I'd prefer a new game.
I'd go nuts with hype if FFXVI gave us a job system again.

I just.. I can't with V. The job system is well done but two or three classes just dominate and the rest of the game is meh.

But carry on!
Oh it's terribly unbalanced but completely breaking it was part of the fun!

Nov 13, 2017
What if Red XIII is non-playable in all parts? On the one hand, you wouldn't control him, but on the other hand, he would potentially fight alongside you in every single fight (unlike playable characters that you take out of the active party), which would be kinda cool. Kinda like a more visible version of Shadow's dog Interceptor from FFVI. Or like a permanent version of the summons from FFXII, etc.

In the latest trailer, you can see him walking around the arena in the
Jenova
fight. I'm almost positive this is confirmation that he's an AI character for this part.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Christ, the arrangement of Tifa's Theme just gave me a major nostalgia rush and took me back to being 13 again..

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 Royal had one last week i think, Outriders had one the other day, and i heard Nintendo has one this week, i think for animal crossing but i havent heard specifics

Oh I see. It seens TLoU 2 will be playable in a few days too so maybe it will also have a preview event.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see. It seens TLoU 2 will be playable in a few days too so maybe it will also have a preview event.
the press already had a preview event for TLOU2 back in September before it was delayed. it's playable at PAX East but i think it's only a part of what the press got to play. i could see they get a review/preview event closer to release.

ggg

Jan 8, 2018
I'm so psyched too, that's my favourite part to delve into, a lot of kh2's dna i heard

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

V is so criminally overlooked. It hurts everytime.

If we assume the XIV team (or rather division as its not the same team doing XIV and whatever their secret project is) really is working on XVI then a job system seems really realistic tbh.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
V is so criminally overlooked. It hurts everytime.

If we assume the XIV team (or rather division as its not the same team doing XIV and whatever their secret project is) really is working on XVI then a job system seems really realistic tbh.
If they're indeed tackling on XVI (as many of us think they are), that would be the "secret project", wouldn't it? For those who don't know, it entered full production last year and it's a next-gen game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Nice to see more outlets playing this.

I wonder when we'll get their previews (probably late this week or the next one even) and how much B-roll footage they'll be allowed to show.
Yup it would be the secret project.
It's gonna still take a while (unless they follow tradition and reveal things early on), but I get giddy just thinking of whatever announcement trailer XVI is going to get. I've been waiting for a properly new single-player mainline FF since 2006, really. Can't wait to see the characters, art direction, setting...

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
If they're indeed tackling on XVI (as many of us think they are), that would be the "secret project", wouldn't it? For those who don't know, it entered full production last year and it's a next-gen game.

quite fascinating that, after 15 years, this might be a Final Fantasy Game that won't be announced before the development actually started (or is at the early stages)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
quite fascinating that, after 15 years, this might be a Final Fantasy Game that won't be announced before the development actually started (or is at the early stages)
With the rereveals of Kingdom Hearts III and VII-R, it seems like Square is trying to give concrete info on games about a year before they are ready to release right now. I wouldn't be surprised if that strategy includes announcements from here on. They've been burned so many times by early announcements that it would be a good strategy.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Slowly, but S-E's getting their shit together lmao.

I wouldn't be shocked if we got introduced to XVI this year in all honesty, but I wouldn't bet on it. Probably 2021 with a 2022/2023 release.
With the rereveals of Kingdom Hearts III and VII-R, it seems like Square is trying to give concrete info on games about a year before they are ready to release right now. I wouldn't be surprised if that strategy includes announcements from here on. They've been burned so many times by early announcements that it would be a good strategy.
There's also the fact that next-gen is still not formally introduced, so any big game after FF VII-R and Avengers (hence, next-gen) has a lower chance of being shown unless cross-gen.

The only reason I wouldn't be shocked if XVI is shown this year is because it'd be a good moment for PS5's (or Xbox's, I guess) presentation, but it does seem that they want to reduce the marketing times.

Although they still have stuff like Babylon's Fall, which was announced in June 2018 and we only got something concrete last December, and we're still told to wait until the Summer for more lol.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

hopefully that will be the case in the future.
It also helps that they finally (it seems like it) are not struggling with the problems of last gen. With the UE4, the restructuring of the divisions and bigger teams, the development in the future should be smoother for the likes of KH, FF7, Luminous Project or Dragon Quest. Also there is no pressure to announce XVI given that Final Fantasy VII has all the attention atm

Slowly, but S-E's getting their shit together lmao.

I wouldn't be shocked if we got introduced to XVI this year in all honesty, but I wouldn't bet on it. Probably 2021 with a 2022/2023 release.

yeah it seems like it. i wouldn't be shocked aswell, i even expect them to announce it to push the PS5 Sales in Japan. If it releases 1-2 years after the announcement im ok with it

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN

God, I hope not. I'd be massively disappointed.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If I can't play a berserk red xiii going crazy blasting magic all over what's even the point of the remake?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the older FF7 raps Megaran did are a bit underappreciated. I recommend checking out the Black Materia he and some others did.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So if there are media preview, I wonder when the embargo will lift.
I am curious about the regular world exploration part more than anything...
Like I have seen enough on combat so I am not worried about that, but they have barely shown the exploration of Midgar so I am curious on this part.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So if there are media preview, I wonder when the embargo will lift.
I am curious about the regular world exploration part more than anything...
Like I have seen enough on combat so I am not worried about that, but they have barely shown the exploration of Midgar so I am curious on this part.
Yeah I'm interested if we really are getting a semi open Midgar. It doesn't really make sense for the game to have a compass otherwise

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check and I'm anticipating this to be a fairly linear game, a bit more in line with FFX than FFXIV/XV. They'll expand on the old environments & introduce new/connecting ones to make for a more seamless experience & to allow for a bit more room for exploration & traversal, but I'm not sure if there'll be much in the way of hubs/more open structure, outside of maybe a few relatively minor optional areas/dungeons you can choose to explore that have some extra bosses/content. But not, like, half of Midgar open for you to discover. So maybe you can choose to go to Aerith's house or go and explore some abandoned building that happens to be at the end of of a forking path on the way there.

They just haven't really shown anything in the trailers that looks like more open exploration, so unless they've kept it all under wraps until now, I'd not expect too much freedom to diverge from the critical path. At best maybe we'll have a FFXIII Pulse like situation (though hopefully with the "Cocoon part" of this remake being better), where we'll mostly be on a relatively linear, faithful to the original path for the first half of the game, then they'll give us a portion of the game where we have a slightly larger more open region to roam around in that has some side quests to tackle, after which we'll be thrown into the final, more linear stretch of the game again in the Shinra building once the player decides to move on.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nice to see more outlets playing this.

I wonder when we'll get their previews (probably late this week or the next one even) and how much B-roll footage they'll be allowed to show.

It's gonna still take a while (unless they follow tradition and reveal things early on), but I get giddy just thinking of whatever announcement trailer XVI is going to get. I've been waiting for a properly new single-player mainline FF since 2006, really. Can't wait to see the characters, art direction, setting...

I think it wouldnt be crazy to be announced this year and released Holidays next year, given pre-production is done and Yoshida knowing how to lead a team very efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.