• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eylos Nice the angle is now it's fake when originally it was women in the gym supposedly dress and look like this in real life... reality check from a woman: no the fuck we do not. And skin tight leather thigh highs that restrict movement are the last thing someone would opt to fight for their life in, so no it doesn't make sense from the "she's a fighter" perspective, either. Cloud is a bad counterpoint. He has a lot more muscle than her, and isn't she supposedly one of the strongest martial artists in the game's world? Her relative frailty is a huge part of her sexualisation and cannot be divorced from the topic.

how convenient then that none of them are here to say so themselves. I notice you have a grand total of zero posts in the sexualized women's design thread so you clearly know a lot about the topic and are interested in other perspectives.
no rpg and even more j-rpg makes logical sense in terms of strenght and muscular build. My point of what i was saying is that its not a sexualized costume now for what she's suposed to be, since the costume of fighters in real life are close to it and posted examples of it, and i agree about the thigh highs thats non realistic and even the leather stuff, but i dont think to not have it would make it less sexy/revealing on contrary, i said its a stylish representation of what a fighter looks.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Eylos how convenient then that none of them are here to say so themselves. I notice you have a grand total of zero posts in the sexualized women's design thread so you clearly know a lot about the topic and are interested in other perspectives.
It's just anecdotal. I'm mostly referring to Twitch personalities based on their reactions to the trailers.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I think what they are trying to argue is that "athletic, sporty clothing" is more normal than we think it is.

I don't agree with that point and find it weak. But I think it's reasonable to reflect upon - it's not necessarily a tactic in some heinous sense.

Anyhow, if I'm given the choice of buying Tifa's AC outfit, im doing that right away.

Edit: just fyi, im a dude

I may not see completely eye to to eye with Eylos on this, but I'm not gonna hold a grudge over that (and the follow-up was appreciated and clarified some things, thanks Eylos.) the part you quoted was not directed at him or anyone else talking about athletic gear. but that one comment read word-for-word like a bad faith argument regularly seen in the design thread that gets swiftly refuted and sometimes mods even step in. It never goes anywhere worthwhile.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but that one comment read word-for-word like a bad faith argument regularly seen in the design thread that gets swiftly rebuked and sometimes mods even step in. It never goes anywhere worthwhile.
Can you clarify which comment that is that reads like a bad-faith argument? I don't understand fully.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was very worried Square would also give in to the nuttjobs out there that demands that female characters dress in as little as possible, especially when it comes to Tifa that's become more and more sexualized throughout the years thanks too fanart etc.

So I'm surprised to say I like Tifas new look, I'd still prefer if she'd had more muscle mass but I think it overall looks really good. It's safe to say they only decided to do small adjustment to her classic 97 design but at least they didn't go overboard with the fan service, in fact I haven't seen them frame her as anything other than a woman who could kick your damn ass, thankfully.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Tifa should be far more muscular than she is, given the things she's fighting with her bare hands. Something like this would make more visual impact (although technically an MMA fighter's build would make more logical sense):
789847.jpg

Cloud's lack of muscle mass is at least explained in-story by his mako therapy.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa absolutely has a sexualized design. It's a lot tamer than I expected it'd be, and they tied sensible design aspects into it with the sports bra and shorts, so for that I'm at least thankful and able to more easily overlook it, but she is still 100% obviously designed with sex appeal as a leading factor. She's got an exposed midriff, mini skirt, and thigh highs, like... c'mon. Her outfit barely even reads as athletic, and her body type certainly does not.

Edit to clarify: I think they did an acceptable enough job with her redesign in keeping it reasonable, so I'm not trying to call her look out as awful. Just pointing out that it is still definitely sexualized.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I mean, I think trying to justify making Tifa look like a realistic fighter when three of your party members are, in order:
1) a man with a gun for an arm who is somehow able to the fire the gun,
2) a robotic cat yelling out commands to a stuffed doll, controlled by someone thousands of miles away, and
3) a mutant living in a coffin for the last several years who can transform into eldritch horrors when needed,

all seems a bridge too far. Maybe keep in mind the title of the game?

Sure, it's pointless to try to say she's not sexualized. It's also silly not to see that this sexy character is both the least confident, and the least willing to use her sex appeal for her own personal gain. Whereas Aerith seems hell-bent on turning Cloud's head despite dressing far more conservatively, Tifa just wants to be by Cloud's side and chooses kindness as her avenue to do that. Tifa and Aerith were both designed to be paradoxical and polar opposite.

SE have taken the route of least resistance here, no doubt. But it is also the best route because it does not betray who Tifa is in this story.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Always curious what's the association with MMA and body builder body types when people talk about fist fighting. If you even look at the best MMA fighters they aren't that jacked. I'm sorry body building is not that practical when it comes to fighting. Could Tifa use some more muscle tone yeah sure not sure why people think she needs to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger to fight.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Attempting to shut down discussion of sexism; antagonizing other users
I see that the thread has gone to shit.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think my main beef with Tifa's design at the moment is the way her suspender straps falls to the side and accentuates her breasts more than they needed to be. They should have went without the straps, made her boobs smaller or have the straps go across her boobs rather than towards the side, making it seem like they're 1 size too small.

Saleal

May 24, 2019
Tifa should be far more muscular than she is, given the things she's fighting with her bare hands. Something like this would make more visual impact (although technically an MMA fighter's build would make more logical sense):
789847.jpg

Cloud's lack of muscle mass is at least explained in-story by his mako therapy.
giphy.gif
.....no

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was not fighting anyone because of tifa design (thats a sad thing to fight for) i think its cool/normal to discuss this topic especialy in regard to tifa that was oversexualized in the original, and i feel the sports bra and shorts eliminates that, since thats the base of woman mma fighter costume of what tifa would be close to, there's people that disagree, and that's ok and normal. I feel people didnt liked this subject, or feel that i'm fighting, i think its hard to guess the tone of how peopĺe talk in the internet, so i understand why this happened, so to be clear i was talking calmly and didnt wanted to sound agressive or like i was fighting, sorry if i gave that impression, but i already made my point and i understand who disagree, and i dont have much to add to the subject so i will not talk anymore.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Anyhow, if I'm given the choice of buying Tifa's AC outfit, im doing that right away.

Would be legitimately baffling if her classic and AC outfits aren't dlc day 1 or maybe even unlockable in game same with Cloud's AC outfit and atleast a recolor of his regular outfit to be closer to the original.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I've got no problem with people wanting a purple outfit but like, y'all know that was just the chibi model right?

Official color was always dark navy bordering on black(which would have looked like an eyesore on the chibi model).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It's the only thing that would visually fit. Even an MMA build would look too small for someone attacking giant robots with nothing but their bare fists, although it would still be an improvement. My friend, who's new to FF, is very excited for this game but even he thought that visually, Tifa really does not look like she should be doing any damage at all to larger bosses like Abzu or the Air Buster.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Attempting to shut down discussion of sexism; antagonizing other users
I see we doing this again

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
To each their own, I guess. Just look at that picture. So many images of her jutting her chest forward, her rear jutting back. A more modest outfit would make those poses less an issue for a dad like me playing with younger children, or a religious household (like me also) whose family values modesty for both men and women.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable or prudish. She is not simply unbelievably attractive, she is dressed in a way that many of us would deem sexual and hot.

Like, look at Aerith. She is just as attractive and beautiful as Tifa, but the nature of her outfit changes the whole aura of her on screen.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake2.jpg

Unfortunately I have to post this behind-the-characters photo because it makes clear what I'm trying to get at.
QNhg6hB.png

Tifa has always been one of my mains. Her, Cloud, and Barret. I love them as characters, but the reality is that her outfit, although it is nostalgic for the OG ff7, it is also fanservice in other ways. That is how it appears to me and will come off to many others I bet.

Edit: I want to say that I don't want to offend anyone with this post, and sorry if I have. But I want to keep this as is because I think it's an important contribution to this discussion.
There is nothing wrong with being hot/sexy and their looks are meant to be in contrast with their personalities. Tifa's outfit is allusive while Aerith's (combined with her job) gives her an innocent girl aura. Turns out they're nothing like their looks lead you to believe.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
...So anyways we make actually be getting previews next week.

Brittney Brombacher said:
I saw two amazing games this week, and it's killing me that I can't talk about them until next week. I hope
@andrearene
is ready to listen to me talk a LOT during next week's
@WhatsGood_Games
. Get your wine ready, girl.
was most likely FF7 Remake and RE3 Remake but there's a chance it was other games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
nope, the delay was basically a month and a week. not sure how you missed it what with you being so active in the various FF7 Remake threads.

a part of me thinks the delay was just to get what would have been the day one patch on discs.

If there's one thing I'm not super focused on, it's the particular DAY games come out. I usually just know what the month is and then I'm like "oh that's out next week".

I knew it was April, I just thought it was end of March -> end of April, rather than end of March -> beginning of April.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any word on when the demo will release? Seems like it should have happened by now. Ive completely stopped following any news about it though, so I dont know if its been talked about.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My critique of her thigh highs is thus: knee protectors would make it look a lot more functional than just being socks.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Has there been any word on when the demo will release? Seems like it should have happened by now. Ive completely stopped following any news about it though, so I dont know if its been talked about.
Some people have speculated that it may happen near the OG release date, but there's no word. At this point, I would push it out of your head and just be pleasantly surprised if it drops before release.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've only recently found out that the 1st class edition ships with the deluxe box and you get the figure separately. Considering the price is over 3x the deluxe cost, I can't help but think this comes across as really lazy. Even the ultimate edition of XV had its own box.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I want Aerith's staff attack to look and sound as painful as the original. You could just feel the Shinra guards wincing in pain when she thwacks them

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I've only recently found out that the 1st class edition ships with the deluxe box and you get the figure separately. Considering the price is over 3x the deluxe cost, I can't help but think this comes across as really lazy. Even the ultimate edition of XV had its own box.
so they're shipping 2 separate boxes? also where are you getting that info? from a manufacturing perspective it makes a lot of sense, the 1st class edition also includes all of the deluxe edition stuff and that's being sold everywhere.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
so they're shipping 2 separate boxes? also where are you getting that info? from a manufacturing perspective it makes a lot of sense, the 1st class edition also includes all of the deluxe edition stuff and that's being sold everywhere.

From the website: https://store.na.square-enix-games....inal-fantasy-vii-remake-1st-class-edition-ps4
"Please note, this is a soft bundle. The FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Deluxe Edition contents are bundled separately from the Play Arts Kai Cloud Strife & Hardy Daytona."

Well XV also had a Noctis figure pack in and you got this box.
204453J.JPG

It just comes off as cheap when you're paying for a premium package.

Nov 23, 2017
I happen to agree. If there's no special box for this then that's cheap. Dissidia NT, XV, and every other FF game that had a CE had a special box. I know Kingdom Hearts III broke the mold but hell, Left Alive got a special box.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's almost nuts at this point how much play Tifa is getting in marketing.

Not entirely surprising, but between the video thumbnails, twitter feeds, posters from Square coupled with similar branding from media outlets, fan YouTube thumbnails and cosplay and fan arts.

I'm starting to legit feel bad for the other girl.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It's almost nuts at this point how much play Tifa is getting in marketing.

Not entirely surprising, but between the video thumbnails, twitter feeds, posters from Square coupled with similar branding from media outlets, fan YouTube thumbnails and cosplay and fan arts.

I'm starting to legit feel bad for the other girl.

I don't know about that, Aerith has been way more prominent in the Theme Song Trailer and the Opening Cinematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.