• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get why people think FFXV had development issues because of its engine? Simply not true. XIII did and thats why they switched engines. XV did not. XV simply didn't get as much time as it needed to fulfill the development teams (granted too big) ambitions.

If the engine would be an issue SE wouldn't have funded an entire new studio AFTER XV shipped solely using that engine.
That was before the director and architect left. They didn't switch KH3 to UE4 for shits and giggles. And most projects in general were shifted to UE4 when one of the major points of luminous was having other Square studios use it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That was before the director and architect left. They didn't switch KH3 to UE4 for shits and giggles. And most projects in general were shifted to UE4 when one of the major points of luminous was having other Square studios use it.

Yeah they switched KH3 because Luminous didn't support the variable shaders they wanted for KH3 and because the engine itself wasn't finished until XV was done and shipped. And at this point SE has more experience with UE4 because of that and will likely keep using it.

If they didn't had shit management during that time this whole thing would've played out differently. As in the original plan was likely to first finish the engine and then start using it, which IIRC the original architect advised SE to do. I just genuinly disagree with the notion that Luminous is at fault for what happened with the XV project.

But as I told the other poster I will drop the topic here (just didn't wanna leave you without a reply as I don't like doing that). In the end we are both just making guesses and have our own viewpoints on what are the causes for the game not really coming together as much as they wanted. And if I seem aggresive or anything that's not my intention - I just really like the tech behind XV and always thought that it was an impressive accomplishment on that front while being excited for how they apply that engine in the future.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a nasty suspicion that they are planning to delay the game because they are going to lose out on retail sales and these tweets with the 'still going to launch' lingo are ways to cover their behinds. I hope I'm wrong. Everyone needs something to do when stuck home...

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
KH3 shifted because Luminous Engine was not mature enough at that point to be uesed by multiple teams in different locations. They didn't have the staff to support both AND finish the engine basics. The goal is still to have more teams use the engine. This is just from last September:

As for the Luminous Engine itself, while our main focus is using it for the high-end title that is currently being developed at Luminous Productions, I do at the same time have the desire to expand to a wider userbase. And by moving forward with mobile support, we can attract more teams world wide to use the Luminous Engine, which will hopefully result in further increasing its potential. That is how I hope things will flow.
And these days, Luminous Engine has a leg up on other engines in terms of optimization for consoles as well as optimization of CPU usage.
www.luminous-productions.com

Studio Head Takeshi Aramaki on “Luminous Productions’ Present and Future”. The challenge of developing a global, AAA-scale game title under the new organizational structure and his aspirations behind it - Luminous Productions

A game studio established within Square Enix Group in March, 2018, Luminous Productions. Eight months have passed since Takeshi Aramaki was appointed as the new studio head in December, 2018. The studio head, Aramaki, talks about the initiatives Luminous Productions is undertaking, and the...

This is from Takeshi Aramaki, who was lead programmer on FFXV and main guy behind the engine in recent years, who is now running the entire studio since Tabata left. SE making the engine head lead the studio is in my eyes showing confidence in Luminous Engine seeing more use in the future. If it will work out? Who knows, but Square certainly have not changed their minds about wanting their own engine long term.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
KH3 shifted because Luminous Engine was not mature enough at that point to be uesed by multiple teams in different locations. They didn't have the staff to support both AND finish the engine basics. The goal is still to have more teams use the engine. This is just from last September:

www.luminous-productions.com

Studio Head Takeshi Aramaki on “Luminous Productions’ Present and Future”. The challenge of developing a global, AAA-scale game title under the new organizational structure and his aspirations behind it - Luminous Productions

A game studio established within Square Enix Group in March, 2018, Luminous Productions. Eight months have passed since Takeshi Aramaki was appointed as the new studio head in December, 2018. The studio head, Aramaki, talks about the initiatives Luminous Productions is undertaking, and the...

This is from Takeshi Aramaki, who was lead programmer on FFXV and main guy behind the engine in recent years, who is now running the entire studio since Tabata left. SE making the engine head lead the studio is in my eyes showing confidence in Luminous Engine seeing more use in the future. If it will work out? Who knows, but Square certainly have not changed their minds about wanting their own engine long term.
He's saying that's what he hopes will go down, we're nearly a year on from this statement and there's zero indication of Square's devs expressing any interest in using it, aside from the people who created it and were given their own studio after a successful project that reinvigorated Square's biggest brand. In general, besides the flex, there's really no point. Square's studios have been full speed ahead with all these UE4 projects with none of the caveats of a proprietary engine like Luminous.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still on the "It's a vision he shows Cloud while explaining his motives" train.

Basically that exposition from the Temple of the Ancients. Just moved to earlier and with a vision of Meteor added.
Some issues:

Meteor shows the damage from Shinra No. 26, so this is specifically a vision of the actual future.
I'm not sure Sephiroth knew exactly what Meteor was prior to finding the mural. The reason he goes on that roundabout journey across the western continent is because he was searching for an ultimate destructive magic. When you encounter him at Nibelheim he throws a Destruct materia at cloud cuz Destruct isn't good enough.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
He's saying that's what he hopes will go down, we're nearly a year on from this statement and there's zero indication of Square's devs expressing any interest in using it, aside from the people who created it.
Well, nearly 8 month isn't quite a year yet, and they haven't even announced the Luminous Productions game yet nor any other major game by an internal team since, so we don't know anything about what other SE teams are using for next gen projects. VII Remake started before XV was done and the next parts will continue with UE4 because switching would be dumb, and SE Japans other project since were mostly developed at other studios and wouldn't use Luminous anyway.
That's why I'm saying nobody knows if it will work out how he wants, but the intent is still there, for all we know Yoshidas team could be using it right now for their new title... or maybe not... but saying no team has shown interest is easy when none of the relevant ones have announced anything they are working on.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well, nearly 8 month isn't quite a year yet, and they haven't even announced the Luminous Productions game yet nor any other major game by an internal team since, so we don't know anything about what other SE teams are using for next gen projects.
Most likely UE4.
VII Remake started before XV was done and the next parts will continue with UE4 because switching would be dumb, and SE Japans other project since were mostly developed at other studios and wouldn't use Luminous anyway.
The whole intent was for it to be used not just with Square's internal teams but other studios owned by Square as well.

That's why I'm saying nobody knows if it will work out how he wants, but the intent is still there, for all we know Yoshidas team could be using it right now for their new title... or maybe not... but saying no team has shown interest is easy when none of the relevant ones have announced anything they are working on.
It probably won't work out the way he wants. Realistically speaking. Especially since Square's teams are more familiar with UE4 at this point. And iterating on that will most likely lead to smoother development than working on something proprietary that already has slowed down projects because they needed to get things the engine wasn't made for up and running.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Not necessarily. They have said they will update as it goes.

I think there is a chance they just delay it. In 3 weeks time Europe and America are going to be in an even bigger mess then they are now.
If they gonna delay it its going to be to TBD because I doubt they know when the situation will resolve itself.

They going to sit on a completed game for so long?

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that it's not like this is going to go away in a month or two, when are they going to delay it to? The game is done and the recession/depression is only going to get worse, all their marketing has been for April 10th, people are sitting around bored and want to play games.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. They will probably release in physical form where they can and digital everywhere and hope for the best for now.

Capcom is also not delaying RE 3.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
S-E is not going to delay it and place that responsibility on themselves. They will let the supply chain do its job and act as first line support for those that end up with a late delivery. It's the proper way to do it.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The demo was top notch stuff, I was really blown away by it. Ended up pre-ordering the game.

The only thing I didn't like was the music, wish they had done a better job with it. I am also surprised by how amazing the game looks on the Pro. I hope we get a 60 FPS PS5 version on launch day ^_^

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of notes, Best Buy and most other stores are changing their hours to a smaller window, so if you were like me and hoping to wake up at 8 AM and go straight to Best Buy and pick it up, you're likely going to be waiting until at least Noon, if they even get the game, if the store is even open in 3 weeks (increasingly unlikely).

I went ahead and cancelled my pre-order with Best Buy and i'm just going to buy it digital. I like having physical copies but it's just not worth it at this point, Amazon also sent me an email and my Doom Eternal pre-order was estimated to take 3-4 weeks, had to cancel that as well.

Clear some HDD space for the next 3 months....

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
It's only a matter of days before shipments/deliveries for nonessential products are forbidden in Europe. And rightly so actually. I still think they just can't maintain that april 10th release date.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
They really should or this risk to bomb hard at least in Europe where retail is still strong and now all shops are closed for the lockdown here and there. Delay it until June and call it a day Square!
The situation isn't going to be a whole lot better in June. If they delay its going to be a late fall/winter/early 2021 release.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The situation isn't going to be a whole lot better in June. If they delay its going to be a late fall/winter/early 2021 release.

Well I don't think the world can afford to stay in lockdown longer than may. Here in Italy we should hit the peak by end of this month and then hopefully it's going down from there. 2-3 months like in the already hit areas that now recovered. Summer should be safe or else really, if shops still can't open by summer, this is the end for everyone. No country can afford to keep everything shut for so many months and think to ever recover...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was going to wait to buy this when it goes on sale (big FF7 fan but not dying to play this immediately despite liking the demo), but frankly, getting this day 1 and being caught up in the hype might be a good distraction during lockdown. Plus, uh... part of me wonders how long certain "unnecessary" networks like video game services will still be online in the next few months.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but with much more free time on my hands, I might as well go all in on it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I already paid off the Soldier edition so I am stuck with that. They use a courier service so I hope they avoid the delays mention in the other thread.

I still think they will ship it early and have a soft launch but keep the official date the 10th. There is no point in delaying when the game has gone gold and will probably in stores within the next two weeks.

We just need to hide in our spoiler bunker a little bit longer.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
God I really want a physical edition of this game, but am really tempted to cancel and go digital if there's likely to be a delay with physical copies. Can't afford to double dip right now sadly.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I've been going back and forth on if I should just switch to digital to avoid the potential headache of ordering a physical copy. It was already going to be a bit awkward with the game releasing on a bank holiday but the current situation obviously complicates things further.

Digital probably makes the most sense, but I really like that boxart...

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
I just don't get why people think FFXV had development issues because of its engine? Simply not true. XIII did and thats why they switched engines. XV did not. XV simply didn't get as much time as it needed to fulfill the development teams (granted too big) ambitions.

If the engine would be an issue SE wouldn't have funded an entire new studio AFTER XV shipped solely using that engine.
This is the same company that instead of just admitting versus 13 wasn't happening then forced it to become xv I wouldn't put it past them.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If square wasn't determined to get out on April 10, I highly doubt they would have reaffirmed the release date just a few days ago

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if there is a promotion to get the Tifa theme in the UK? I think all the other themes are available in Europe except for that one.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Stores are going into lock down, but I don't see any point in Square Enix having millions of units of the game sitting in warehouses until June onwards. Right now, outside of some countries, there are still ways to get physical media via off-hand pick ups and smaller opening hours.

It's an absolutely devastating climate the world is in at the moment, one that no one was really prepared for so we're all adapting as we go. From a business point of view, we are less than 18 days away from the game launching in New Zealand and less than 19 days elsewhere. The game is done, the games has been printed onto discs and supplementary items have been created. There are a lot of trailers, videos, banners, and physical tie-ins (Butterfingers, the pasta thing in the UK) with April 10th on it. Square Enix absolutely could delay the game, and they'd be right to, but unlike the movie industry which sees the movie released in cinemas where hundreds of people have to congregate to watch the movie months before a home media release, the games industry launches digitally alongside physical media (or just digitally for some titles) in the comfort of our own homes.

I think Square would be better off releasing the game on April 10th regardless while working out ways to get people their physical copies. At the very least digital is there with a 48 hour pre-load window (which is more essential then ever with data being slowed down by some companies like Netflix).

Of course, since the game is done and (hopefully) printed onto discs, an early release would be lovely (And would be the first one since, what, the NA release of FFX??) but Square had the chance to fix the date when people raised the problems of it being the Easter weekend so I don't think they're open to releasing it early (but this is a pandemic so every societal thing we know has pretty much been thrown out the window).

I like that Square Enix is keeping us all updated regularly with the release for this game and whatever decision they make, I'll be behind them. This is a crazy time to live in, absolutely insane.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
They really should or this risk to bomb hard at least in Europe where retail is still strong and now all shops are closed for the lockdown here and there. Delay it until June and call it a day Square!

If they delay it they will lose even more money (they have to change the entire marketing, which is a huge amount of money) and it makes no sense, because nobody knows when the lockdown will be over since it's happening all around the world in different period. Physical copies will still be around and ready to be shipped when the stores will open back.
In the meantime people can buy it digitally, I expect a lot of people double dipping.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
If they delay it they will lose even more money (they have to change the entire marketing, which is a huge amount of money) and it makes no sense, because nobody knows when the lockdown will be over since it's happening all around the world in different period. Physical copies will still be around and ready to be shipped when the stores will open back.
In the meantime people can buy it digitally, I expect a lot of people double dipping.

Also, this is a little ghoulish, but isn't it likely that sales lost due to less available physical copies could be countered by more people buying the game digitally due to being stuck at home with more time to play games?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Also, this is a little ghoulish, but isn't it likely that sales lost due to less available physical copies could be countered by more people buying the game digitally due to being stuck at home with more time to play games?
Yep. And this could cause double dippers as well for those who want to also get their physical editions.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Honestly I'll keep my deluxe edition from Amazon and it'll get here when it gets here, but until then I'll grab it digitally.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am prepared to double dip as a last resort. I am already €330 deep in this game and I don't want to spend €70 more but I am not going to wait.

It's much easier to make a decision with retailers like Amazon but I am getting the game from SE and they might be quicker or slower to get the game out.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, in this moment people are probably spending more on gaming than before, because they are stuck at home with nothing to do. People will buy this game digitally and those who can't will just have to wait a little more, S-E is still going to make money (and they probably have a bigger cut on digital sales). They have nothing to gain from a delay.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With so many copies of the game already printed the full game would definitely leak, that would be a total disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.