• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
They ain't gonna choose tifa or aerith to be clouds love interest. Too much money to be made in stringing the shippers along

They already chose back in the original FFVII. Aerith is dead and also this:

1447534886454.png

Maybe Cloud's own feelings are ambiguous. Leaving things vague isn't necessarily some concession to s..h..ipp..e.. its too hard to type out this cornball word.

I mean his feelings are not ambiguous at all. Cloud joins Soldier to impress Tifa because he has a huge crush on her.

Cloud x Aerith
Cloud x Tifa
Cloud x Jessie

Cloud bangs them all but they keep killing each other until there is only ONE!

Aerith kills Jessie by manipulating events and Tifa sends Sephiroth to murder Aerith.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
They already chose back in the original FFVII. Aerith is dead and also this:

1447534886454.png

I mean his feelings are not ambiguous at all. Cloud joins Soldier to impress Tifa because he has a huge crush on her.

To be fair that scene or the scene after changes dramatically due to the love point system in the game. Cloud definitely has feelings for her though for sure.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Hey I mean if people are happy to be sold piecemeal nostalgia bits with extra padding to warrant the purchase I'm not going to get mad at them for spending their money, I'll probably get the first part too in order to see if I need to eat a big plate of Crow or not. But to pretend like there won't be filler is naive. Especially when the stuff they've added so far HAS changed the tone and plot points of the original already. Again, happy to be wrong. Stating my observations does not mean I'm not open to changing my mind.

There's a difference between "all it's going to be is filler", which is what it seems you're saying, and "extra content doesn't immediately mean everything is filler", which is what the rest of us are saying.

I just feel like people saw some flashy explosions and the bombing mission and everyone is convinced that translates to a 30-40 hour game now. I don't see how that's going to be possible. Happy to be wrong though.

There's more than just explosions; we've seen hints at new plot elements (Sephiroth flashes, more focus on Avalanche, the ghosts Aerith sees), and plenty of new dialogue, too. That said, talking about a 30-40 hour game doesn't come as much from the trailers as it does the fact that the production staff has stated each part is going to be the size and scope of other Final Fantasy games.

Lucas came back for the prequels too. Those are definitely hailed as masterpieces to this day...right?

That has nothing to do with what I said. You said it's fanfiction; the fact of the matter is, it's not. Whether it's good has yet to be seen, but George Lucas being a moron has nothing to do with the fact that the Star Wars prequels aren't fanfiction, and neither is the Remake.

And to speak to your "fleshing out" Tolkien's work we all saw how great the Hobbit did when it "expanded" on its lore right? Again, happy to be wrong but asking people to fill in blanks or pad out key events doesn't usually go over well. They "made enough content in Midgar to warrant a full game" is on the developers, not the audience. Furthering the plot only goes far if it's good, and plenty of people have plenty of reason to be wary.

Dude, I never said the game is definitely going to be good or there's no reason to be wary. Hell, I said the opposite: I've said repeatedly that whether or not the game is good has yet to be seen. What I did say was that, as far as we know, the aim of this series of Remake parts is to provide cohesive titles that all further an arc together, not give us a single story piecemeal. I specifically said that this isn't the Hobbit trying to pad things out because the developers have already stated their intentions and that's all we have to go off of; I said nothing about the quality of the Hobbit. It's a comparison of scale and intent; if you need to twist my points to argue with something I didn't say, there's not much use in discussing this at all.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is what I meant earlier. Tifa has all the reason in the world to hate Shinra but her wondering if being an eco terrorist that have killed innocents is the right way to do it and having her own problems is way more interesting than the always connected to Cloud stuff she had before imo.

Moments like this were brought up in the original, but you got about two lines at the most.

This is precisely why I've always been in favor of the multiple parts decision, if it gives them the chance to flesh out these character moments more.

The return of Sephiroth should absolutely be explored through Tifa's perspective. There would be the psychological trauma just from seeing him again, only to have that turn into rage once Aerith dies ("He keeps taking everyone important to me!").

Heck they could even take a page from Avengers Endgame...

"I don't even remember you!"

After seeing Luna in FFXV it's really hard for me to think they'll handle Tifa with any of the sincerity that was offered in the original, connection to Cloud or not. But I sure hope you're right. The I feel trapped thing could be related to her feeling stuck in a web of lies and destruction. Feeling like one more mission and one more bomb til she's closer to her goal but she's losing the heart in seeing people suffer. This could be great. But...Square.

Tifa did a TON of things that were empowered in relationship to Cloud. She basically manipulates him and fuels his hysteria for a disc and a half of the game, and takes ownership of that in Mideel after the Crater thing happened. To think she was only the "Childhood friend" is doing a disservice to the writing of her character I feel.

There's a reason the "My Turn!" part of the trailer got so much cheers.

It left me completely convinced they won't hold out on showing how badass the character can be.

It was mentioned earlier above about the concerns of damseling up Aerith, which are legitimate. Again, Tifa was clearly the focus of this trailer so they wanted to showcase her best moments. Hopefully in the actual game this doesn't happen at the expense of making Aerith look weak, because that's wholly unnecessary.

That said, not to turn this into a popularity battle (not entirely anyway), considering the overwhelmingly positive reception Tifa got from this trailer, as well as the certain possibility that she'll be carrying the role of main heroine entirely for the second half of the Remake (if it was a trilogy, Aerith would most assuredly die in part 2)...

Well, let's just say Aerith has a real tough battle ahead in measuring up to Punch Queen in the hearts of fans (and no longer just hentai fans!).

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Am I wrong in remembering that they didn't really bring the battle victory fanfare music into the fights until after the whole intro with the reactor blowing up (in the original)? That could very well be why it's apparently not there in the gameplay they've shown so far.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There's a difference between "all it's going to be is filler", which is what it seems you're saying, and "extra content doesn't immediately mean everything is filler", which is what the rest of us are saying.

There's more than just explosions; we've seen hints at new plot elements (Sephiroth flashes, more focus on Avalanche, the ghosts Aerith sees), and plenty of new dialogue, too. That said, talking about a 30-40 hour game doesn't come as much from the trailers as it does the fact that the production staff has stated each part is going to be the size and scope of other Final Fantasy games.

That has nothing to do with what I said. You said it's fanfiction; the fact of the matter is, it's not. Whether it's good has yet to be seen, but George Lucas being a moron has nothing to do with the fact that the Star Wars prequels aren't fanfiction, and neither is the Remake.

Dude, I never said the game is definitely going to be good or there's no reason to be wary. Hell, I said the opposite: I've said repeatedly that whether or not the game is good has yet to be seen. What I did say was that, as far as we know, the aim of this series of Remake parts is to provide cohesive titles that all further an arc together, not give us a single story piecemeal. I specifically said that this isn't the Hobbit trying to pad things out because the developers have already stated their intentions and that's all we have to go off of; I said nothing about the quality of the Hobbit. It's a comparison of scale and intent; if you need to twist my points to argue with something I didn't say, there's not much use in discussing this at all.
If the crux of your defense is "the devs said they're trying hard" without looking at the scenes at hand, and praising new things for simply existing rather than the quality of their content than you're right, better off calling it a day.

Sorry to everyone in the thread though. I did fill up quite a bit with rambling and will let people enjoy the hype leading up to release. Cheers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong in remembering that they didn't really bring the battle victory fanfare music into the fights until after the whole intro with the reactor blowing up? That could very well be why it's apparently not there in the gameplay they've shown so far.

Correct. During the bombing mission, the situational music overrides the battle theme and the victory fanfare.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
the cloud and jessie ship will get stronger in this game i see, posting this to help this small group in the fight against clouti, clerith and clack
96c.jpg

All this Jessie love is great. Finally, they can solve the love problem with Cloud/Jessie, Tifa/Aerith, and Zack/Sephiroth.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
If the crux of your defense is "the devs said they're trying hard" without looking at the scenes at hand, and praising new things for simply existing rather than the quality of their content than you're right, better off calling it a day.

Sorry to everyone in the thread though. I did fill up quite a bit with rambling and will let people enjoy the hype leading up to release. Cheers.

Dude. Nobody is saying that. I've repeatedly said that it's all we have to go on and it has yet to be seen if they follow through.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
All this Jessie love is great. Finally, they can solve the love problem with Cloud/Jessie, Tifa/Aerith, and Zack/Sephiroth.

Yeeessss!!! My other OTP! I will join you, brothers and sisters!

Zack x Cissnei is the correct ship though.

Sephiroth can't be shipped with anyone besides Cloud's Buster Sword.

He needs that 6 foot long sword with DAT WIDTH.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
clack is better than zack/sephiroth imo, think like that cloud was so in love and idolized zack that he got traumatized for life with his death and impersonated him, zack started to dislike sephiroth with time
tumblr_m2ih4rBOEH1rtwu6lo1_500.jpg

tumblr_oqod8ewVK91svqesco1_500.gif

thats the first time i've seen cloud happy to see anyone

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
clack is better than zack/sephiroth imo, think like that cloud was so in love and idolized zack that he got traumatized for life with his death and impersonated him, zack started to dislike sephiroth with time

I can't even remember a single point in Crisis Core were Sephiroth wasn't a dick. Did he ever do anything actually likeable or friendly throughout the game? I just remember the fan club e-mails gushing about him.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I specifically said that this isn't the Hobbit trying to pad things out because the developers have already stated their intentions and that's all we have to go off of; I said nothing about the quality of the Hobbit. It's a comparison of scale and intent; if you need to twist my points to argue with something I didn't say, there's not much use in discussing this at all.
I think there will a Hobbit comparison, I can imagine Rufus showing up at Mount Nibel like Azog in a climactic fight and they just get away. If each episode is like full length, I imagine it's got to be a mixed bag of new material.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Words like 'filler' and 'fanservice' have long since shown themselves to be useless in discussion. Use words that actually convey your thoughts or just admit you simply don't like something.

That's the thing though. Her whole arc with Cloud. The poster's point was that Tifa had no individuality in the original, she was pretty much just an extension of Cloud, narratively speaking.
It's actually funny to think what that line even means, since in Japanese it's a clear callback to what she said to Cloud in their big childhood conversation. I wonder how they're going to rework that translation-wise because in the original English version she says "in a bind".
-Ooof at using "FF7 nerds" when it's pretty straightforward. They're all failed attempts at making another Sephiroth. They can definitely up the ante on the horror element of it though.
Never a good idea to charge in with such bravado in the event you are wrong. They're just random people with Jenova Cell injections to test Hojo's Reunion Theory- Those that would hear Jenova's call and bend to its will, ultimately gathering the cells together again (That is until Sephiroth superseded that will). It's people that died due to adverse reactions or failed to submit their minds (Like Zack) who were failures. All the black cloaks (And even Cloud) proved to be a resounding success.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Pfft Zack/Sephiroth is an excellent ship. You guys are forgetting about non-crazy Sephiroth. The guyt hat people sued to look up to.

Tbh, this is why I'm hoping they put some of CC in the remake. Pre-madness Sephiroth was a cool dude. He was just kinda awkward not really a jerk.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There will be optional sex scenes like Witcher but Cloud is too disattached to enjoy any of them and you'll end of feeling bad for fantasing about him with Jesse and any of them and their awkward flings.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Pfft Zack/Sephiroth is an excellent ship. You guys are forgetting about non-crazy Sephiroth. The guyt hat people sued to look up to.

Tbh, this is why I'm hoping they put some of CC in the remake. Pre-madness Sephiroth was a cool dude. He was just kinda awkward not really a jerk.

I apparently forgot how bad Zack's voice acting was, the delivery is all over the place in this video.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone been playing as Cloud a lot in Super Smash Bros. recently? All this FFVII news has got me playing him, great fun but I wish he had a better recovery.

Also, I would love to do another play through of Crisis Core but that never got a remaster/port which SE is notorious for doing. I'm guessing there must be some specific reason holding them back.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone been playing as Cloud a lot in Super Smash Bros. recently? All this FFVII news has got me playing him, great fun but I wish he had a better recovery.

Also, I would love to do another play through of Crisis Core but that never got a remaster/port which SE is notorious for doing. I'm guessing there must be some specific reason holding them back.

All the Gackt related shit, including his likeness and music used in the game.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I've watched the new trailer like 1000 times. I was going to wait for a potential PC version but yeah, I can't fucking wait. I'm buying a PS4 just for this (and a few other games)

Status
Not open for further replies.