• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

giphy.gif

They have to be gearing up to put her as a guest character in a fighting game.

At this point the only available spots would be Dead or Alive or Street Fighter V.

Naw man she's into sport bras now she ain't allowed in DoA.

/s thank god i prefer Tifa in any fighting game that is not made by the DoA team

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
i think red xiii is perfectly cool in the original if you do what i did and just deck him out with like 12 mastered counterattack materia so he's mostly a berserker character; i don't hate his limit breaks either

he's definitely going to be tougher to make truly satisfying to control when it comes to the ARPG side of his mechanics, though; i definitely agree with the poster above that imitating Amaterasu's moveset from Okami is wise, and there's also the matter of Lion Sora from Kingdom Hearts 2 (who also controls pretty alright).

A major unifying factor of those movesets: unlike a lot of what we're seeing with Cloud/Barret/Tifa, in those movesets each attack also tends to move the playable character around on the battlefield (generally melee attacks lunge you forward) and there's a strong sense of momentum with each hit. I don't know how well that'd fit into the character-archetype frameworks they're trying to set up for the non-ATB portions of the combat here, but if Red XIII is the close-range super-high-mobility character (alongside a quick midrange Yuffie and an agile far-range Vincent) I could see that making a lot of sense and feeling pretty good to control.

When it comes to Cait Sith, btw, I think it'd be a fairly neat and straightforward fanwank gimme for the creators to give him a whole host of different FF mascot robots to ride on and not just a giant Moogle. Might also help deal with the confusion around the "he's a robot who controls a robot" thing, though a lot of that was probably poor translation (I don't think Reeve is supposed to be directly controlling his every move? it's very confusing).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Seto and Gi cave story line are dumb. Literally who are the Gi. Literally why did no one just tell him about his father. Literally why is his grandfather not also a dog thing.

Bugenhagen is cool but redward 13 is shrug emoji.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best scene in the game. Panning up to Seto crying tears with the full moon above.

Those feelings.... :(
kG6jMBP.gif

And that music just getting more powerful with each measure. You can feel Red's pride in his dad swell up at this point. I just wish it would have been mentioned afterwards, at least more than with this short character development scene.

Seto and Gi cave story line are dumb. Literally who are the Gi. Literally why did no one just tell him about his father. Literally why is his grandfather not also a dog thing.

I can kinda understand, since this section felt so short but I don't think it's dumb at all. There are some plot holes for sure but even then, it's still 100x better than Cait Sith's story. With the remake, we can at least hope to learn more about the Gi tribe, why Red's mom went through with keeping Seto's sacrifice a secret, and how it actually affects the story as a whole.

But Cait Sith? Dude is controlled by a guy in Midgar. And that's it. It's a dumb muppet being controlled by an Scottish cat muppet. His sacrifice was played to be all emotional but then 2.0 Cait shows up while Cloud beats a girl and all he can say is something like, "hey guys I'm 2.0 Cait Si-woop what's going on here? I'm outtie." Cait Sith is absolutely the worst character, and the fact that he got any meaningful screen time (i.e. kidnapping a little girl - that bastard) just gets me riled up.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Naw man she's into sport bras now she ain't allowed in DoA.

/s thank god i prefer Tifa in any fighting game that is not made by the DoA team

Not even sports bras can withstand the magical physics of DoA's world.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Tifa was added, because at least everyone is in on the sexy fanservice. Plus she could get some actual cool costumes that aren't just soap suds or bits of string.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I can kinda understand, since this section felt so short but I don't think it's dumb at all. There are some plot holes for sure but even then, it's still 100x better than Cait Sith's story. With the remake, we can at least hope to learn more about the Gi tribe, why Red's mom went through with keeping Seto's sacrifice a secret, and how it actually affects the story as a whole.

But Cait Sith? Dude is controlled by a guy in Midgar. And that's it. It's a dumb muppet being controlled by an Irish cat muppet. His sacrifice was played to be all emotional but then 2.0 Cait shows up while Cloud beats a girl and all he can say is something like, "hey guys I'm 2.0 Cait Si-woop what's going on here? I'm outtie." Cait Sith is absolutely the worst character, and the fact that he got any meaningful screen time (i.e. kidnapping a little girl - that bastard) just gets me riled up.
Cait Sith is just simple and straightforward though. There's nothing deep about him which might be boring but he serves his purpose. And the cat character is cute.

I don't use him ever either but at least he has an instant kill limit break. Red 'weed lord' XIII with his 'Lunatic High' smh.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cait Sith is just simple and straightforward though. There's nothing deep about him which might be boring but he serves his purpose. And the cat character is cute.

I don't use him ever either but at least he has an instant kill limit break. Red 'weed lord' XIII with his 'Lunatic High' smh.

Idk man. In terms of limit breaks that hurt your allies:
Cloud: N/A
Barret: N/A
Tifa: N/A
Aeris: N/A
Red XIII: N/A
Yuffie: N/A
Cait Sith: Face/Face/Bar
Vincent: N/A
Cid: N/A

I'd rather be faster in battle than...you know, dead.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they only need to explain that point better, like "i didnt wanted to tell you this story because you would want to see your father and you would die in that cave, now you are stronger, forgive me."

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GI Cave is where I got stuck on my very first playthrough as a kid. I could NOT beat the boss. Years later I found out you could just chuck a phoenix down at it for a OHKO.

Sadly I don't think that'll be possible in the Remake.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say there's a fairly high possibility that we will get a prog rock arrangement of the boss theme as well. Part 1 is only Midgar after all, so they have a fairly limited pool of tracks to use from the original soundtrack for what is a full game of its own now. That could mean that they will be expanding on the OG tunes with several different arrangements for certain tracks that get repeated quite a lot (like combat theme(s)). I just wonder if/how much there will be completely new tracks. If the Avalanche peeps are going to have a lot more screentime, will they get their own themes?

I really hope so, Rufus won't be the same otherwise (nor will a lot of the other bosses). I'm not sure I trust Uematsu these days to come with cool stuff, but then again I haven't been keeping up with his work, gotta check out some XIV tracks or something.

New character themes would be rad, but I'm not sure the Avalanche people would feature enough in the game to merit them, and I think they don't necessarily need to limit themselves to what played in Midgar, even more so if they're expanding on stuff that's already there, like fighting Jenova at some point in the first part, like people have been guessing will happen.

re: Weapons

I liked that the PSX's graphical limitations made them look mechanical and not biological in nature, most of all Ultima and Diamond, they looked so fucking cool. Then you see Saphire in a cutscene and it's still cool but... 😢

my headcanon is they are mechas

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I got a question for the thread. This isn't going to be relevant until Remake Part 2 comes out, but I feel like it's important all the same.

Do you think Dyne is going to continue to suffer from Tiny Face in the Remake?

latest

latest

I mean, they gave him a much bigger face in the mobile spinoff G-bike, but I feel like they'd be trying to be more true to the source material in Remake. I for one sincerely look forward to Dyne continuing to be proper representation for the Tiny-faced population!

Outside of him being crazy, that it.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a question for the thread. This isn't going to be relevant until Remake Part 2 comes out, but I feel like it's important all the same.

latest

latest

I mean, they gave him a much bigger face in the mobile spinoff G-bike, but I feel like they'd be trying to be more true to the source material in Remake. I for one sincerely look forward to Dyne continuing to be proper representation for the Tiny-faced population!

His head/body ratio is pretty normal everywhere else, even Record Keeper. Even Heidegger looks more muscular and less Santa-y, so I'm guessing they're going slightly more realistic body-wise.

F tiny-head Dyne.

Oh, but on that note. I really hope we get to meet the weirdo who surgically enhanced Barret and Dyne to fit guns on their arms. What's that dude's story? And why was he going around the world stashing away upgraded gun arms for Barret to find?

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, but on that note. I really hope we get to meet the weirdo who surgically enhanced Barret and Dyne to fit guns on their arms. What's that dude's story? And why was he going around the world stashing away upgraded gun arms for Barret to find?

Oh hell yeah, that's the kind of expanded stuff I'd love to see.

Eager to see the duel with Dyne and any battles involving only one specific party member, it would be cool to have even more of those.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
When I was playing the game the first time and I saw the "Machine Gun" shop in Wall Market, I assumed that's where Barret had his gun attached, or at least maybe where he bought the prosthetic.

Pure headcanon, but it made sense to me when I was 13, if there's anywhere in the world that does shady surgeries like that, it's probably in the slums of Midgar.

Well, it's kind of hard to run while you are filling your pants with feces.
He's the most relatable character in the game, tbh

Nov 23, 2017
Are any of you concerned about the messaging for this game? A lot of people seem to think that we're going beyond Midgar in this first game. It's not surprising to see this but it could hurt their reputation after the game comes out. It probably won't be a big deal but I can definitely see some future complaints about not knowing this.

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of you concerned about the messaging for this game? A lot of people seem to think that we're going beyond Midgar in this first game. It's not surprising to see this but it could hurt their reputation after the game comes out. It probably won't be a big deal but I can definitely see some future complaints about not knowing this.
Why are people assuming that the only info we'll know about the game on release is what we know now? SE will clarify and make obvious the game isn't the complete adventure. I have absolutely no doubt about it even if they're vague on details at the moment.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I've watched a ton of coverage of this game and read all the FF7R related threads, most people seem to understand that the first game is set in Midgar.

The real challenge is to convince skeptics that this isn't a cash grab that's intentionally being split up just to get more money from people. If the entire game is as good as the demo people were gushing about at E3, this won't be an issue.

Nov 23, 2017
that the only info we'll know about the game on release is what we know now? SE will clarify and make obvious the game isn't the complete adventure. I have absolutely no doubt about it even if they're vague on details at the moment.
I've watched a ton of coverage of this game and read all the FF7R related threads, most people seem to understand that the first game is set in Midgar.

The real challenge is to convince skeptics that this isn't a cash grab that's intentionally being split up just to get more money from people. If the entire game is as good as the demo people were gushing about at E3, this won't be an issue.

Those are indeed fair points. I was more thinking about the lapsed fan who hasn't been catching up on the E3 news. It's great that Square will continue to reveal more information as the months go by and I do feel that they will try their hardest to clarify the mixed messaging. The point about the "cash grab" is really fair and would definitely need more effort from them being put into that messaging. Gosh, I can't wait for this game. I'm dying. The demo was too good.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people who will have seen zero marketing for this game, see FF7R on a shelf/PSN and buy the game without so much as reading the back of the box or the description on PSN is going to be insignificant.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in Cait Sith only because of my interest in Reeve. There is so much they can do to expand his story and relationship with the party, especially with Midgar and Shinra getting an expansion.

Also, I never understood this, but Red's dad can't be healed with a soft or something right?

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Cait Sith only because of my interest in Reeve. There is so much they can do to expand his story and relationship with the party, especially with Midgar and Shinra getting an expansion.

Also, I never understood this, but Red's dad can't be healed with a soft or something right?
When your characters were petrified, they never actually turned to stone did they?
dA8OrG6.png

Maybe for Seto, with the level of poison that was in the arrows, he needed a Supersoft like in FF IX.

Or maybe nobody bothered trying a regular soft lol who knows!

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
When your characters were petrified, they never actually turned to stone did they?
dA8OrG6.png

Maybe for Seto, with the level of poison that was in the arrows, he needed a Supersoft like in FF IX.

Or maybe nobody bothered trying a regular soft lol who knows!

Yeah like I can accept Phoniex down is unconscious and not dead but they can get out of here with not giving that poor dog a soft.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Here's hoping that this storyline is substantially fleshed out in the remake.

But Cait Sith? Dude is controlled by a guy in Midgar. And that's it. It's a dumb muppet being controlled by an Scottish cat muppet. His sacrifice was played to be all emotional but then 2.0 Cait shows up while Cloud beats a girl and all he can say is something like, "hey guys I'm 2.0 Cait Si-woop what's going on here? I'm outtie." Cait Sith is absolutely the worst character, and the fact that he got any meaningful screen time (i.e. kidnapping a little girl - that bastard) just gets me riled up.
It's not gonna happen, but this is why I am hoping that the remake's Cait Sith is made a real person and not a robot. There's already the giant moogle robot; there is no need for a second robot. All they have to do to make me care about Cait Sith is make him a real living being. It would be pretty simple too: just make him Reeve's partner-in-crime. Reeve would still be spying on them through the moogle robot.

latest

latest

You know what? I can kind of see some Pablo Schreiber in him.

Pablo+Schreiber+First+Man+Washington+C+Premiere+vb9_WWl_u3pl.jpg

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Cait Sith could just not be in the remakes at all and no one would give a shit. The whole sacrifice slow motion shit is the most forced shit ever. I couldn't believe what the hell was happening on the screen. And then dude really came back like people missed him. Man, no one even liked you in the first place.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Cait Sith could just not be in the remakes at all and no one would give a shit. The whole sacrifice slow motion shit is the most forced shit ever. I couldn't believe what the hell was happening on the screen. And then dude really came back like people missed him. Man, no one even liked you in the first place.
I thought I read somewhere that they did that to make Aeriths death hit harder. But I've read a lot of bullshit about this game on the internet over the last 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.