• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nanaki calling Bugenhagen grandpa is cute, leave him alone. Don't have to be blood related to treat someone like family.

It's special Dissidia NT renders
qrx4j96nc9801.jpg

I forgot about that nightmarish Tidus face

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Dissidia NT Tifa makes me appreciate what they're doing with the character models in Remake even more. There's something about the style and the modelling that makes the Nomura school of character design work without them looking like dolls.

Like, Tifa looks alright I guess (face and hair too boring, but hey), but Cloud is atrocious imo. There's something about him that's very off-putting.
Zac_Gorman_-_Final_Fantasy_VII.gif

This was my favourite of Gormans
He's really, really good. I love the Zelda ones as well.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
If Dissidia were just a regular 2D fighting game, I'd be all over it. A fighter with all the FF characters? Yes, I'll take it, thank you.

Whatever Dissidia actually is, far less interested.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
If Dissidia were just a regular 2D fighting game, I'd be all over it. A fighter with all the FF characters? Yes, I'll take it, thank you.

Whatever Dissidia actually is, far less interested.
I kinda enjoyed the PSP ones, but yeah.

I know it's basically a meme at this point, but imagine what Arcsys could do with a FF 2D fighting game.

I'd also want stages that aren't as empty and boring as the ones currently in (I understand why they're the way the are in the Dissidia series, but still). As a whole, I never truly cared about them beyond being able to play as these characters and, even then, the design of some of them I quite dislike.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of sad moments
- Elmyra waiting for her husband to return from the war
- Barret watching his town go up in flames
- Actually that whole Dyne subplot was pretty heartbreaking. Dyne saying stuff like "there's too much blood on my hands" and Barret responding with "My hands aren't any cleaner" once Dyne kills himself. Whew that got to me.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of sad moments
- Elmyra waiting for her husband to return from the war
- Barret watching his town go up in flames
- Actually that whole Dyne subplot was pretty heartbreaking. Dyne saying stuff like "there's too much blood on my hands" and Barret responding with "My hands aren't any cleaner" once Dyne kills himself. Whew that got to me.
- pillar destruction
- nibelheim
- zack parents asking for any news about their son to cloud and cloud says he never heard of him.
- nanaki and his dad
- cid never achieving his dream
- cloud in the temple of ancients
- aerith death
- aerith parents story
- sephiroth fake truth and puppet cloud
- yuffie talking about wutai
- vincent past
- zack past

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- pillar destruction
- nibelheim
- zack parents asking for any news about their son to cloud and cloud says he never heard of him.
- nanaki and his dad
- cid never achieving his dream
- cloud in the temple of ancients
- aerith death
- aerith parents story
- sephiroth fake truth and puppet cloud
- yuffie talking about wutai
- vincent past
- zack past
Prof. Gast and Ifalna's video journals were pretty sad to watch, yeah.

- Cloud's childhood
- Cloud's wheelchair movement when he's heavily poisoned
- Fort Condor bird RIP

The whole game is just dripping with melancholy.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of wheelcloud, in the original if you speak to him while he's like that, he mentions Xenogears in his babbling. Would be cool if in the remake they make him babble about Spira just to further fuel the "same universe" fire

Watch him babble about keyblades.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of wheelcloud, in the original if you speak to him while he's like that, he mentions Xenogears in his babbling. Would be cool if in the remake they make him babble about Spira just to further fuel the "same universe" fire
To be fair, the only people capable of making any sense of Xenogears' story were probably also heavily under the influence. The rest of us were like Tifa.
Vej4m5w.gif

jkjk I enjoyed Xenogears well enough.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
that's why I think we won't see any true open world stuff, it's just way too much with too little content. I would be fine with an updated overworld, or just some playable hubs between areas, FF12 style.
Eh, it's hard to say. I think they are going to want a working airship/vehicles eventually; we might see something on the scale of FFXIII's Pulse areas, or something like the big 'wide linear' driving sections from Uncharted 4/Uncharted:LL.

I think the way we enter towns/non-overworld will definitely be walking across a zone border, though, for sure. Won't be able to approach them from any angle.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's hard to say. I think they are going to want a working airship/vehicles eventually; we might see something on the scale of FFXIII's Pulse areas, or something like the big 'wide linear' driving sections from Uncharted 4/Uncharted:LL.

I think the way we enter towns/non-overworld will definitely be walking across a zone border, though, for sure. Won't be able to approach them from any angle.

While it was unfortunately very late in the game, Pulse was pretty cool to explore. Nice, varied landscape and areas with interest options for exploration without just being enormous for enormous' sake. Much more fun to poke around in than the XII areas, which all seemed like big boxes w/ texture pain on the walls.

XV had some nice landscapes too obviously, but did take too damn long to get around, and that led to some monotony. I really loved the caves/dungeons in XV though...

If VIIR had world areas that were more like Pulse I wouldn't mind so much. I like the classic worldmap, but it's an increasingly weird abstraction w/ today's graphics and today's expectations for game structure. What I don't want is a Lost Odyssey or FFX style map screen for airship travel :-(

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
While it was unfortunately very late in the game, Pulse was pretty cool to explore. Nice, varied landscape and areas with interest options for exploration without just being enormous for enormous' sake. Much more fun to poke around in than the XII areas, which all seemed like big boxes w/ texture pain on the walls.

XV had some nice landscapes too obviously, but did take too damn long to get around, and that led to some monotony. I really loved the caves/dungeons in XV though...

If VIIR had world areas that were more like Pulse I wouldn't mind so much. I like the classic worldmap, but it's an increasingly weird abstraction w/ today's graphics and today's expectations for game structure. What I don't want is a Lost Odyssey or FFX style map screen for airship travel :-(
Agreed. I think FFXV had to make some pretty clear compromises in terms of world design to make the open world thing function; and even then it felt like you were driving around somewhere much smaller than e.g. GTAV's more-detailed open world, let alone an entire continent or globe.

I think the goal of a fully streaming high-level-of-detail open world in FF is still a laudable one, but I think it's better to prioritize the 'high level of detail' thing over the fully streaming thing and make their areas bigger and bigger from game to game, rather than starting with 'huge and also clearly mostly procedurally generated' and trying to get better at filling in the details.

Also, I am dead certain that a game that has Midgar in it is not the right time to launch a fully streaming realistically-sized Entire Fucking Planet that you can pilot your airship across.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Those FFVII Nomura character sketches, does anyone have a link to all of them. I always loved that artstyle. Did he do sketches like those for FFXIII as well? I've only seen the Lightning one

Edit: I mean the portraits like these. I can find scattered ones but I've come across ones in this very thread that I haven't seen

977e2f82a433cb16d7a2c2331d598a95.jpg

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
we might see something on the scale of FFXIII's Pulse areas, or something like the big 'wide linear' driving sections from Uncharted 4/Uncharted:LL

that would still be quite some effort. wouldn't surprise me if the vehicles end up being some kind of glorified destination-selectors (although I do hope we get some version of a traversable 'overworld')

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those FFVII Nomura character sketches, does anyone have a link to all of them. I always loved that artstyle. Did he do sketches like those for FFXIII as well? I've only seen the Lightning one

Edit: I mean the portraits like these. I can find scattered ones but I've come across ones in this very thread that I haven't seen

977e2f82a433cb16d7a2c2331d598a95.jpg
ff6 has awesome nomura art
tower-of-gods.jpg

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It is, especially now that I've dealt with suicide in my adult life.

The tonal whiplash of racing chocobos 2 minutes after he jumps off a cliff is even worse than snowboarding after Aerith, though.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
that would still be quite some effort. wouldn't surprise me if the vehicles end up being some kind of glorified destination-selectors (although I do hope we get some version of a traversable 'overworld')
I definitely expect that Midgar's going to function with a sort of destination-selector thingy - it makes too much sense to make the train your primary way of getting around the city.

But yeah, assuming here that it'll be a trilogy, count me in as super curious to see how they handle it in part 2 - which will likely be something of a linear odyssey - and again to see how they handle it in the final game - which will likely be more of a spanning-the-globe less-linear mix of sidequests and main story content.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to play back through 7 before this is out. What's the best way to do that... PS4 or Vita? Trophies, updates etc between versions or are they all the same?
vita does not have trophies you will play the original ps1 version. Ps4 has trophies and cheats.
So its a question about if you like to play on vita,and how much you care for the cheats and trophies.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you seem to think I am challenging your authority or experience. I am not. Or at least I didn't mean to. I do apologize if it came off that way.
sorry, i didn't think you were, didn't mean for it to seem like a snap-back. i was just laughing at the situation cause I had literally just gotten out of meeting going over direction for an upcoming animation project. i found it ironic is all. all is good.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
search for "name of the game" + nomura art on google images

ff7
parasite eve
ff8
has some good human art pieces

That's what I do but they're all scattered and I always randomly come across ones I haven't seen. Cant seem to find a database that compiles all of them, at least for one particular game.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Nomura had a great variety of artstyles in such a short period, and all of them good: the very classic style of his VI days (with delicate-looking characters reminiscent of Amano's), the super anime VII style, the more realistically proportioned style of VIII and Parasite Eve...

I love 90's Nomura.

Status
Not open for further replies.