• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I remember when they showed GF Re-link trailer, I went "Hey that's the fight with Ultimate Weapon"

1jThAqz.jpg

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I expect some of those fights to be set-pieces tbh. At least parts of them.

Nomura must be glad he won't have to worry about them for a few years lol.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Already predicting camera issues when fighting the weapons.

Bookmark this post for 2028.
Maybe. I hope they don't ever repeat the dumb design decisions they did with FFXV's Adamantoise.

FF has definitely managed to have enormous boss fights before (FFX's Sin comes to mind), but agreed that it's trickier to handle them when there's any sort of real-time combat going on. That said, the WEAPONs aren't *that* enormous in the existing battle screens, to be completely honest.

My guess as to how they might handle a problem like this is to have a bigger and bigger emphasis on your ATB-bar-consuming turns (and present some sort of easy smaller targets for building it up rapidly).

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the weapons will definitely be set pieces. Draw some inspiration from GoW maybe? Would actually love a fight ON the actual weapons, with some more dynamic camera angles showing the scope of the actual fight.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Those FFVII Nomura character sketches, does anyone have a link to all of them. I always loved that artstyle. Did he do sketches like those for FFXIII as well? I've only seen the Lightning one

Edit: I mean the portraits like these. I can find scattered ones but I've come across ones in this very thread that I haven't seen

977e2f82a433cb16d7a2c2331d598a95.jpg
This image specifically is a character portrait from Before Crisis, so... You can search those.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just let us fight Emerald on the ocean floor.

And Weapon fights already had set pieces, don't make more. If anything let us aim the mako canon at Saphire's face.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The 3 party members make the weapon fights even more interesting, just thinking of the characters being spread out focusing on different parts of the weapons in a GoW esque boss fight has me sweating. Really hope Square nails it, love everything we've seen thus far but giant bosses are always hard to do.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Strong woman ready to kick ass or blank-faced doll with poppin' tits? Hmmmm... tough choice...

never been a big Team Ninja fan

They... look pretty much the same tbh including popping tits.

I prefer the more anime style of the right when it comes to face though but I still like the more realistic face on the left too.

FFVII is kinda cartoony and I kinda wish it didn't go all in on the realism.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As a fan of anime, I can wholeheartedly say that the less anime the better. Love the Remake designs.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There is a materia for that. Problem solved.
^ this.

Also I just don't get the "realism" arguments in video games re: the ocean floor fight.

Between FFXIV and other games we've already seen them fight weapon sized/big bosses plenty of times before. I don't know why that seems so hard for people to understand.

I mean look at Bayonetta or even KH's last boss on the PS2.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if the Diamond Weapon fight is anything other than us poking its toes with tiny sticks I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
answering myself there's very big monster on the monster hunter series
latest

how the game handle those fights?
this is a good question.
When I think big huge monsters to fight i can't help but think about shadow of the colossus. more related though In kingdom hearts you fight the rock and ice titan but it's basically slash at feet until stunned then wail on the heads or do a mechanic to get to a stun and then wail on a head. for better engagement you can break it into stages with different mechanics. the God of war games might be a better place to seek inspiration though. and instead of quicktime events it can just be auto triggered cinematics to progress the fight to the next stage.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
4M7U1Fm.png

Acrophies has in its arsenal one of the game's rarest abilities, the Isogin Smog that inflicts the Darkness status to the player party, but will only be used by Acrophies if the entire party is already under the Darkness status. If Acrophies uses this attack more than once, it might crash the player's game.

Since Acrophies has no other abilities that induce the Darkness status, the Ink item will have to be used on all party members to see this attack naturally.

Keep this in the remake or game is ruined

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
4M7U1Fm.png

Keep this in the remake or game is ruined
So far they've kept every enemy from the original from parts we've seen and have said they'll even add new enemies. Even if they do end up removing some enemies, I think that snakehand-crab is very likely to make it in. That can be made to look terrifying in the remake. I'm more worried about the house-enemy in Midgar. That could maybe be seen not making sense for this kind of artstyle.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
So far they've kept every enemy from the original from parts we've seen and have said they'll even add new enemies. Even if they do end up removing some enemies, I think that snakehand-crab is very likely to make it in. That can be made to look terrifying in the remake. I'm more worried about the house-enemy in Midgar. That could maybe be seen not making sense for this kind of artstyle.

Hell House is one of the more well-known of the game's weirder enemies because of how early it shows up - it was even shown along the WEAPONs as VII monsters with more modern concept art-like visualisations for Mobius.

300px-Card_2609_EN_Hell_House_FFVII_3.png

It's worth noting that all of Mobius' VII events have specifically been remake-themed.

Something like its Mobius incarnation could absolutely work in the remake's style - it depends if they think it's iconic enough for the detail required for a full enemy, instead of just having a broken down reference to it dumped in the slums.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Hell House is one of the more well-known of the game's weirder enemies because of how early it shows up - it was even shown along the WEAPONs as VII monsters with more modern concept art-like visualisations for Mobius.

300px-Card_2609_EN_Hell_House_FFVII_3.png

It's worth noting that all of Mobius' VII events have specifically been remake-themed.

Something like its Mobius incarnation could absolutely work in the remake's style - it depends if they think it's iconic enough for the detail required for a full enemy, instead of just having a broken down reference to it dumped in the slums.
Heh, I kind of feel like you proved my point. That art looks like it's from Toy Story. :D

I do agree that it's fairly iconic but they have to do some work to make it work in the remake, I feel.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Heh, I kind of feel like you proved my point. That art looks like it's from Toy Story. :D

I do agree that it's fairly iconic but they have to do some work to make it work in the remake, I feel.
I think they could contextualize it (explicitly or not) as some weird toy Shinra made that went defective or whatever tbh (that would explain why there are so many of them that look identical, which was my biggest "problem").

I'm really curious about the new enemies. Considering that we're for sure getting the original ones (and are really faithful), I want to see quite a few of them to spice things up.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
They could say they were mass produced Decoy houses to use as bait during the Wutai War. Imagine a whole village of these being raided by a wutai party and suddenly transforming into these weird mecha things.

hope we see these in Shinra HQ

039.png

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I meant keep the dumb enemy AI not just the enemy lol.

Also please just show Hell House in the next trailer so people can stop memeing about it!!!

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I was rewatching some of the BG&E2 footage and even back then... Seeing all of that running and actually working on a regular PS4, made me hopeful about FF7 maybe only needing 2 parts. Midgar on PS4, everything else on PS5.

I'm hoping with the technical advancements of the next-generation, it'll be much easier for them to accomplish their vision. Just imagining the Highwind in actual scale, flying at those speeds and instantaneously switching back and forth between the bridge and the overview, holy shit... I really want to see that. That, to me, would be like experiencing 3D-graphics for the first time all over again.

Only had that feeling once...

1-E20_000.jpg

Also, imagine, whilst on the bridge of the Highwind, you see the actual landscape beneath you...

tumblr_p44c5xGfAb1qgvvtno1_500.gif

With SSD's becoming a standard for the next-generation, surely it ought to be possible? Expensive? Yup... But that's what a remake for this game needs to be.

The original game had a staff of over 100 people, with a combined development and marketing budget of around $ 80 million! That's about $ 127 million in 2019, when adjusted for inflation... Which is still a lot of money.

Nope the total budget of the original game was 145 million, not 80. INb4 official source.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"We don't talk about that side of town...'

The hell houses will chase Aeris and Cloud, loads of them. They scream 'There's no place like home, there's no place like home' voiced by Earl Boen or someone sinister.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Nope the total budget of the original game was 145 million, not 80. INb4 official source.

Well, that's even more insane. Wikipedia used IGN as a reference...

IGN said:
Release delays peeled out one after the other, while the budget flew past the $40 million mark. Meanwhile, Sony planned out an ad campaign for North America that easily doubled that number, including prime-time network commercials, spots in Rolling Stone, Playboy, Spin, various comic books, and a Pepsi tie-in.

Nevertheless... Insane numbers för 97'. I hope they match or exceed that ambition for the remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.