• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how or why they'd show us footage or a teaser for a game thats a minimum 3 years away after FF7R releases.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
CC is great only because it gave us one of the top 5 FF7 characters. DoC is bad because it gave us Shelke and more Lucrecia.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention that if such a teaser were to be satisfying, they'd have to make sure it's polished. I don't see how any part of the next game could be that polished at launch--even if there's significant overlap in development between part one and part two.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It probably won't have, especially since the next game will most likely be a next-gen game.

Probably, but it's not like they'd have to include the platform, and the nextgen consoles have essentially already been announced.

I don't see how or why they'd show us footage or a teaser for a game thats a minimum 3 years away after FF7R releases.

The FFXIII games released 2 years apart from each other, and S-E already confirmed the next parts will be developed quicker. I can see the next part possibly taking 3 years, but not as a minimum.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, but it's not like they'd have to include the platform, and the nextgen consoles have essentially already been announced.
I guess it really depends on how much of the part 2 is done by the time they finish making part 1. We could see cutscenes using in-engine assets of course... I don't expect massive difference tbh. But looking at Nomura's track record, I think there is much higher chance of teaser being a CG cutscene made by Visual Works.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I see part 2 within 18 months to 2 years. The preproduction is the longest part and most of that has been done.

FFXVI might be announced at next year's E3 or when the next generation consoles are announced. The announced FFXIV before FFXIII was released.

Jun 17, 2019
I see part 2 within 18 months to 2 years. The preproduction is the longest part and most of that has been done.

FFXVI might be announced at next year's E3 or when the next generation consoles are announced. The announced FFXIV before FFXIII was released.
I could see FFVII-2 being a beginning of the show type of presentation and FF16 being an end of the show finale teaser reveal type thing.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I could see FFVII-2 being a beginning of the show type of presentation and FF16 being an end of the show finale teaser reveal type thing.
CGI teaser for XVI but won't see the light of day again 2022.

Saying that other than Kingdom Hearts and the remake the wait time from announcement and release have been far shorter since SE change in CEO.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see SE waiting for FFVIIR to completely finish before they release FFXVI. The question is where FFXVI release will fit in. Will it be between Part 1 and part 2, or part 2 and part 3.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The preproduction is the longest part and most of that has been done.
Is it? I thought their official line was that they've only planned for this first installment and haven't planned out how far the future installments will go. I seem to recall reading something like that, about how they don't even have any idea how many installments they're gonna have.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The FFXIII games released 2 years apart from each other, and S-E already confirmed the next parts will be developed quicker. I can see the next part possibly taking 3 years, but not as a minimum.

FF7R will have much higher production values and won't be able to reuse nearly as many assets as the XIII games did. The Midgar assets and enemies are completely different from the locations and enemies in the next game, and they still have to design combat systems for Yuffie, Cait Sith, Cid, and Vincent.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Three years seems kind of long. You can't forget that they'll likely be able to move on to & develop Part 2 much more efficiently (and have even said so themselves, that that's what they expect) than how long they took with Part 1, and that they can have some early work done on Part 2 even before the release of Part 1, as some of the workforce is freed up from Part 1. I also don't believe they have NOTHING figured out about the subsequent parts. They might not know how large this whole thing will end up being but I'm sure they have some story written, concept artwork done etc. that will speed up moving on with the development of Part 2.

They also have a seemingly strong base for gameplay to build the sequel on (vs. having to scrap and iterate on it for a while until they find something they find worth going forward with), they have their development studio set up that works exclusively on FFVII Remake, they should have the development pipeline fairly well figured out at this point and there's some reusable asset-work (tons of story-relevant characters they can use as is, possibly locations if there are some flashbacks or such in Part 1 that use locations outside Midgar, they can also do some colour/skin-swap enemies like Ice Bombs to pad out content without having to create something entirely from scratch).

If SQEX can do massive expansions to FFXIV every two years (while also pushing fairly meaningful amounts of new content periodically between those larger expansions), I don't think ~2 years between FFVIIR parts is totally impossible assuming they don't try to reinvent the wheel with each part.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? I thought their official line was that they've only planned for this first installment and haven't planned out how far the future installments will go. I seem to recall reading something like that, about how they don't even have any idea how many installments they're gonna have.
Kitase stated during E3 that they were already planning the second game. Don't know how far into preprod they are though.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
FF7R will have much higher production values and won't be able to reuse nearly as many assets as the XIII games did. The Midgar assets and enemies are completely different from the locations and enemies in the next game, and they still have to design combat systems for Yuffie, Cait Sith, Cid, and Vincent.
FFXIII's sequels also got way less resources, used a shitty engine that they had to struggle with every step of the way & was done by a different SQEX that still had a lot more inefficiencies when it comes to the overall development practices.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
They probably have a general idea of where they want to end part 2 but can't commit to it as it depends on how much disc space they have for it. Part 1 is already on 2 discs and that is just Midgar.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
So active party member swapping mid battle or only via menu outside of combat?

With the more action oriented combat I would love being able to swap out party members quickly in battle like Tales of does it for example

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK

With the more action oriented combat I would love being able to swap out party members quickly in battle like Tales of does it for example
In the first game you probably wont get a choice as to who is in the party. 99% of Midgar your party is set for you.

In the other games, its probably going to be a menu out of combat since youre going to want to swap materia and accessories between characters to suit whatever build you want.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see SE waiting for FFVIIR to completely finish before they release FFXVI. The question is where FFXVI release will fit in. Will it be between Part 1 and part 2, or part 2 and part 3.

spitballing here but assuming we see FFXVI next year and there's the general 2 year minimum announce --> release gap that puts it quite a ways back. kinda safe to assume 7R pt 2 lands comfortably before that.

months ago i'd be a lot more pessimistic about the FF7R episode rollout but now the first has an actual street date i'd like to think the wheels are greased and rolling to a reasonable extent

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting 3 years between releases.

2 years seems really short judging by the productions values we are seeing in part 1.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI announcement will be just a logo, I don't think that would take the spotlight away from FFVII: Remake Part 2.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just noticed at max stream (recommend) that aerith house is very weird,
- no bathrooms
- giant books and TV
- only 2 rooms
Like cloud sleeps in one room aerith in the other and Elmyra has to stay awake in the kitchen.

btw Elmyra art
latest

plow

Oct 28, 2017
FF XVI with Yoshida as Director in my veins pls.

edit: Actually you can also bring back Matsuno pls.

And while we are at it, can someone tell me why Takashi Tokita stopped directing games?

Last edited:

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI announcement will be just a logo, I don't think that would take the spotlight away from FFVII: Remake Part 2.
I hope it's just a logo. Any sort of gameplay or teaser results in us spending months (possibly years) looking over and interpreting every tiny detail with a fine-tooth comb, making up story beats in our heads to explain the lore to ourselves. Every tweet, article, and video will have us consuming and wanting - the blind leading the blind. And for what? Half of what they'd show us with CGI might not even make it into the game and we'd feel like we were lied to for years. I'd hate to be part of a thread like that...where all we do is mop up every bit of info for a game years before its release. Just seems like time better spent for me elsewhere, and I for one couldn't imagine doing something like that with any sort of game.

Anyways, what do y'all make of this Watchmen of Fate thing? Crazy, right???

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
just don't show or tease FFXVI until its ready Square (1 Year before Release). Hope this time they finally learn

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
There will be a teaser for part 2 at the end of the first part. See KH franchise for reference.
they didnt say quicker they said more efficiently because they had to overhaul the game once and the battle system went through various iterations but now they have it figured out. re-doing work is not efficient.
just don't show or tease FFXVI until its ready Square (1 Year before Release). Hope this time they finally learn
2 E3's. a game should only show up at 2 E3s before release. 1st E3 you can tease and make an announcement, the next E3 you need gameplay and a release date/small release window.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The journey to Kalm should be the teaser at the end or end credits.

Start PT 2 with the Kalm flashback.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
they didnt say quicker they said more efficiently because they had to overhaul the game once and the battle system went through various iterations but now they have it figured out. re-doing work is not efficient.

Semantics. The point they were making was very clearly that we wouldn't be waiting years and years for part 2 like with part 1 - they probably would want to shy away from explicitly saying "quicker" just in case something unexpected goes wrong. "Efficient" is a little more vague while still obviously meaning "quicker".

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
just noticed at max stream (recommend) that aerith house is very weird,
- no bathrooms
- giant books and TV
- only 2 rooms
Like cloud sleeps in one room aerith in the other and Elmyra has to stay awake in the kitchen.

btw Elmyra art
latest

Are you talking about the original game (original CGI-generated house with 2 rooms), or is there new footage of that area from the Remake ?

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse

Well, in one of the interviews they did mention how every character would be stronger against specific enemies, so I could see that happening. I just hope it doesn't devolve into something like FF10's battle system where there is only one or two enemy types for each of the characters. That made it the most overly simplified and tedious combat system of the entire series for me. I remember reading in an old issue of EGM where one of the reviewers compared it to a game of chess. Lol no.

There need to be more variables that determine damage rather than matching speed attacks vs. agile enemies or strong characters vs. armored enemies, etc. Final Fantasy 10 is the least replayable entry in the series for that reason.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, I loved the original FF VII ending. It was actually pretty hopeful. There was no guarantee of success but Holy coming out of the ground along with seeing Aerith's face similarily to how you saw it in the beginning was pretty nice. It felt like you win but you weren't sure. I'm good with that. Honestly, I didn't need giant post-game exposition of characters either. When it comes to Crisis Core, I really disliked the ending. The "living legacy" stuff was way too on the nose.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Semantics. The point they were making was very clearly that we wouldn't be waiting years and years for part 2 like with part 1 - they probably would want to shy away from explicitly saying "quicker" just in case something unexpected goes wrong. "Efficient" is a little more vague while still obviously meaning "quicker".
not really semantics though:
www.gameinformer.com

Development Of Further Final Fantasy VII Games Won't Be Much Faster

They are also not quite sure yet how many more games there will be.
What isn't clear is if that was in reference to the entire production of part 1 or just from when it went fully internal. The game spent like 2 years at cyberconnect and we still dont know how much was kept.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing wrong with the ending is the sort of ambiguiity about what holy is and what it is doing against meteor vs. what the lifestream ends up doing.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
not really semantics though:
www.gameinformer.com

Development Of Further Final Fantasy VII Games Won't Be Much Faster

They are also not quite sure yet how many more games there will be.
What isn't clear is if that was in reference to the entire production of part 1 or just from when it went fully internal. The game spent like 2 years at cyberconnect and we still dont know how much was kept.

Firstly, that article is old and based on what I believe was a badly translated statement. S-E PR quickly went on Twitter and talked about how part 2 development is expected to be more efficient.

Secondly, there was recently a Max video where he said that the stuff from 2015 is actually still in the extended demo he played, with only slight changes. So while the battle system was refined as you would expect, and character models have seen tweaks, it certainly doesn't seem like much was actually thrown out entirely, which is encouraging.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, that article is old and based on what I believe was a badly translated statement. S-E PR quickly went on Twitter and talked about how part 2 development is expected to be more efficient.

Secondly, there was recently a Max video where he said that the stuff from 2015 is actually still in the extended demo he played, with only slight changes. So while the battle system was refined as you would expect, and character models have seen tweaks, it certainly doesn't seem like much was actually thrown out entirely, which is encouraging.
I sure hope so

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

that was said to press during the behind closed doors presentation. I would think Square Enix's own translators know how to do their job. and again efficient is to be expected, efficient does not mean faster. it's why PR chose to run with "more efficient". and if they didn't have to redo a bunch of work from cyberconnect then 4 years for the next game would still be faster... but if they did scrap and redo a bunch of stuff then 2 and a half years would be slightly faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.