• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Bullshit. Midgar was the best and most memorable part of the game.
I love Midgar so much too. Definitely the first place I think about when I think of FF7.

Kind of jumping the gun here, but I wonder how much they'll expand on the other areas. Obviously not as much as Midgar, but I wonder what else they could add to these locations.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest everything I like about FFVII happens outside of Midgar aside from the Bomb Mission, so I became kinda whatever about Part One once it was revealed that it's pretty much just that. Never had much interest in the location or its aesthetic, the juxtaposition in the outside world was more interesting to me. Really excited for the later parts though.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this will be the biggest marketing challenge for the game, convincing people to stop looking at this project as a single game getting split up and selling them on each game being a full game in its own right.

It's one of the reasons why i think the dual blu ray discs was such a smart strategy, even though it technically doesn't mean anything, it helps explain that this isn't a small chunk of a game or a telltale like episode.
I don't think I'm too far off the mark if I say that the masses don't care at all that it's divided into parts when they are getting something as totally cray-cray-bonkers as we are seemingly getting. If this offers something as thoroughly exciting as the (extended) demo promises (based on impressions), then no one but the most negative of nancies will give a single iota of a fuck that there's more than one part, as long as they continue offering something that entertains them. Other than the painful wait between releases. No one will enjoy that, lulz. But I don't think that or being divided into parts will act as much of a detriment for people getting invested in the remake.

Dedicating an entire game to Midgar is such a weird choice. The pacing is probably going to be awful if they're really intent on stretching a glorified tutorial into a 30+ hour experience. It also makes me wonder how many parts there will be and how the stats will carry over between "games."

I bet they're still trying to figure out how to do the world map. Midgar-only let's them bide more time and wait for next gen.
Based on the impressions, the extended demo that press/bigger Youtube-pees played/saw at E3 seemed to do just fine with the kind of expansion that this remake is going to get that didn't sound like it it made the pacing suffer.

The game takes you seamlessly from the train station to the reactor through old & new environments, there are some non-random fights in places where it makes sense & some additional scenes of banter between characters that sounded like they do a decent job of fleshing out characters & their relationships + the mecha scorpion fight is a much more elaborate setpiece spectacle instead of a few characters standing around for a minute or two, taking turns hitting each other. The original bombing mission is something like 10-15 minutes while IIRC the remake demo shown to press was somewhere along 45-60+ minutes (and didn't even include the end of the mission). I don't think I read a single impression that complained about the experience feeling like the pacing is suffering even though they took something that short and spread it into a segment that lasts almost an hour. Even if some of the slower bits get expanded, I feel like fans especially will enjoy it if we get to spend a bit more time with Cloud wandering around & talking with Aeris between Cloud dropping down to the church and them walking to Aeris' home.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'd just expect a presentation similar to E3 but for the Chinese audience.

Maybe a slightly different footage roll, but nothing terribly different (like maybe seeing a little bit more of the gameplay demonstration, because there were many cuts -in the boss fight too, showing different playthroughs at times). For Gamescon I expect the same: demos for a newer audience (first China, then Germany) and little (or even nothing) new.

TGS should have a nice showing I'd bet. The Nanaki show, just you wait.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
At least we should get some off-screen footage of the the demo playthrough (unless they restrict photo/vidoes like they did at E3)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Show something new pls. Enough gifs of Guard Scorpion and Tifa fighting enemies from the original.

Sector 4 footage when.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
At least we should get some off-screen footage of the the demo playthrough (unless they restrict photo/vidoes like they did at E3)
Show something new pls. Enough gifs of Guard Scorpion and Tifa fighting enemies from the original.

Sector 4 footage when.
Hopefully.

It's stupid (as the short demo was essentially what they showed in their presentation), but I was quite dissapointed that they didn't allow off-screen recording. I'd have liked seeing players messing around.

I'm betting on S-E uploading a direct-feed walkthrough of the demo (the short one; the "secret" one might be too much) sometime in the Summer. We'd get to see a little bit of the flow of regular combat, exploration and, of course, the full boss fight. And all with a non-embarrasing compression.

Although it might be silly as it'd just be more of the same, but hey.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished before crisis, i keep the same points i made earlier in the thread, one cool point i forgot to talk is the female protagonist, she's cool.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Next time they show the game they really need to show some of the new stuff. What is in this game outside of recreating FF7's Midgar events. What do we get to do in Midgar etc.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Next time they show the game they really need to show some of the new stuff. What is in this game outside of recreating FF7's Midgar events. What do we get to do in Midgar etc.

I would love it if they made specific side quests for the individual characters. Maybe solo missions where we only control one of the main characters that pertain to their individual jobs with others joining in on occasion. Cloud doing cheap sword for hire missions for the people living in the slums. Barrett doing general, smaller things for Avalanche like sabotage missions or testing out new recruits. And Tifa could sling beer and listen to people whine about their problems. And kick ass when she needs to, cuz she don't need no bouncer.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
E3 was focusing on the new combat system and they did an excellent job showcasing it.
Now they need to show exploration(?) of Midgar. Like Adonais says, showing a new side quest would be pretty nice. I would love to see moving around new parts of Midgar, and how they handle the quests.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I made it. Best part of each playthrough

D_cyTTQXoAApntT.jpg

I would love it if they made specific side quests for the individual characters. Maybe solo missions where we only control one of the main characters that pertain to their individual jobs with others joining in on occasion. Cloud doing cheap sword for hire missions for the people living in the slums. Barrett doing general, smaller things for Avalanche like sabotage missions or testing out new recruits. And Tifa could sling beer and listen to people whine about their problems. And kick ass when she needs to, cuz she don't need no bouncer.
I dunno, random slum people hiring Cloud to "go kill 5 sahagins, they're causing trouble for merchants!" is the kind of filler that would make me laugh at a full game Midgar.

Last edited:

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
I dunno, random slum people hiring Cloud to "go kill 5 sahagins, they're causing trouble for merchants!" is the kind of filler that would make me laugh at a full game Midgar.

I know. But that's modern game design for you. There will be meaningless side quests, for sure. I'm just hoping they'll do something to make the quests fit in with the themes of the game, since you know they'll be there.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I dont know if this is allowed in here, but i really loved this video on the recent 'controversies' regarding this game. if you can, give a look

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ff7 has a lyrical music, who never singed along

Estuans interius ira vehementi
Estuans interius ira vehementi

Sephiroth!
Sephiroth!

Sors immanis
Et inanis
Sors immanis
Et inanis

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I realize I'm getting way ahead of myself here but just having beat the switch port...it would be super nice to be able to control that final Highwind form around some sort of end game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its the same of advent children the VA is awesome
Oh, cool. I guess I was just assuming if they were changing the English cast they would change the Japanese, as well. I watched Advent Children with subs before the English dub came out, but it's been so long I don't remember Sephiroth's voice in it anymore.

All I remember is Tifa's "tsuru tsuru tsuru tsuru".

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Is behemoth horn the most obscure weapon in the game
Probably? It's in an area that's optional, in a setpiece that you cant redo, in a place where there was nothing before, and to get it you have to enter the area from a specific direction. I bet 99.9% of players dont even know it exists, hell, the OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE doesnt even mention it.

Oh, cool. I guess I was just assuming if they were changing the English cast they would change the Japanese, as well. I watched Advent Children with subs before the English dub came out, but it's been so long I don't remember Sephiroth's voice in it anymore.

All I remember is Tifa's "tsuru tsuru tsuru tsuru".
Japan tends to have a different culture when it comes to VAs and characters. Basically if you do a voice, you're locked in for life (unless you do THE DRUGS!)

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see the Wall Market section in Gamescom or TGS.

Excited to see Cloud crossdressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.