• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeteoraVII

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
That's what they do in the Wutai tower though.
True, but thematically there's enough of a difference between Shinra Building and Wutai Tower to mask the fact that it's using the same gameplay structure.

I mean you could argue the same thing about the end of the game where there's like a boss rush before you finally get to Sephiroth himself...

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
True, but thematically there's enough of a difference between Shinra Building and Wutai Tower to mask the fact that it's using the same gameplay structure.

I mean you could argue the same thing about the end of the game where there's like a boss rush before you finally get to Sephiroth himself...
tbh i'm really hoping that by the time they get around to the actual end of FF7 they're able to make substantial improvements to the final dungeon. it's absolutely one of the worst/least interesting FF final dungeons (both visually and in terms of gameplay), even though the actual sequence of climactic bosses is good

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Do people really think they are going to be 100% true to the original games story and script? Haven't we already seen evidence of changes? We could spoiler tag major events but I don't think anything is sacred here. On Aerith, she can do her lifestream stuff while alive too. A true spoiler would be that in the remake she can be saved or brought back. Maybe Tifa dies, or Barrett, or something else. Actually that would be THE spoiler, the ultimate spoiler of all spoilers. We probably won't know until 2022+.

IF they actually are thinking of doing this, then actually the more people that know the original games spoiler, the better. That way when they go on a date with Tifa and she is the one who dies now, they can flip out with the rest of us.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the final trailer will be in the first state of play next year
Do people really think they are going to be 100% true to the original games story and script? Haven't we already seen evidence of changes? We could spoiler tag major events but I don't think anything is sacred here. On Aerith, she can do her lifestream stuff while alive too. A true spoiler would be that in the remake she can be saved or brought back. Maybe Tifa dies, or Barrett, or something else. Actually that would be THE spoiler, the ultimate spoiler of all spoilers. We probably won't know until 2022+.

IF they actually are thinking of doing this, then actually the more people that know the original games spoiler, the better. That way when they go on a date with Tifa and she is the one who dies now, they can flip out with the rest of us.
They said numerous time that the story will be the same with additions and expan6. They aren't going to do something like that. Time to accept it

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They are not keeping Aerith alive or killing Tifa. Yes, they going to change and add stuff story-wise, but not that, for the simple reason that you can't change something so important to the story. So yes, some things are sacred.

Look at my avatar. Let it go.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
for the simple reason that you can't change something so important to the story.
I directly challenge this assumption. It's not sacred or important. It's not difficult to change, and there are strong reasons to change it. FF7 was built on player choices and consequences. It's in the games DNA. They could so easily put in a branching story point at this moment, where basically whoever you date gets Sephiroth'd. So the purists can still have the story they love/need and at the same time make the game fresh and surprising. The loss of a party member thatb the player liked is still felt. There are some story points that require Tifa/Barrett later but again these can be altered easily. The lifestream stuff at the end can just happen while Aerith is alive. All these 'problems' are super easy to overcome.

TLDR
Easy to do it without changing the story hardly at all
Player choice and consequence Part of FF7 DNA
Would add replay-ability
Would surprise old players
Would still have option for original games story for purists
It would give the remake legendary spoiler status just as the original enjoys

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. Aerith's death is integral to the ethos of FF7, which is all about 'life'. Aerith and her people represent that. She had to go into the lifestream to release it to destroy meteor after Sephiroth was deafeted and no longer a Virus for the planet.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I directly challenge this assumption. It's not sacred or important. It's not difficult to change, and there are strong reasons to change it. FF7 was built on player choices and consequences. It's in the games DNA. They could so easily put in a branching story point at this moment, where basically whoever you date gets Sephiroth'd. So the purists can still have the story they love/need and at the same time make the game fresh and surprising. The loss of a party member thatb the player liked is still felt. There are some story points that require Tifa/Barrett later but again these can be altered easily. The lifestream stuff at the end can just happen while Aerith is alive. All these 'problems' are super easy to overcome.

TLDR
Would add replay-ability
Player choice and consequence... really mostly just factored into the Gold Saucer dating thing. I wouldn't call that player choice being in the game's DNA, everyone who plays Final Fantasy VII gets pretty much the same story. Cloud isn't some Mass Effect style self-insert either, Final Fantasy games tell a single narrative and Cloud and the characters around him have defined personalities, goals, and choices that they make as part of that narrative. You can count on VIIR following most of the main story beats of VII proper, and that includes Aerith's death.

Calling that particular plot twist not sacred or important is pretty laughable, too. It's easily one of gaming's most iconic scenes. If there's one thing they're going to treat as sacred, it'll be that.

If you don't want to tell VII's story, probably don't remake the game.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only change i could see happening of someone surviving is someone from avalanche surviving.

aerith and zack must die

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wedge will turn out to be a Turk mole and survive

/s
I would kill for a recreation of the final scene of The Usual Suspects, but with Wedge.

He rips off a fat suit and hairpiece, changes the way he walks, and disappears as the realisation hits everyone.

FF7 was a story Wedge told some random cop, inspired by a cloud he saw through a window, and uhh, Aerith brand stationary and whatever else.

10/10, give me the game equivalent of an Oscar.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing about people thinking they could let Aerith lives in the remake is that they will be surprised again when she dies.

MeteoraVII

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
If they change Aerith's fate, or any other event in the story for that matter, then this game is automatically garbage.

There's no need for them to waste resources on "alternate scenarios" either.

Of all the things that are outdated about the original, the story, scenario, events and characters are absolutely not among them.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
In the sense that it's more than one game, yes. But it was always a series of full games, not episodes as that implied.
This game is a full length expansion of the Midgar portion

Well, poop. I was hoping they scrapped that. Hopefully the rest of the game doesn't take forever to release.

(yeah, I didn't mean episodes as like Telltale episodes or whatnot. Bad wording on my part. My bad)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the preview for next week's famitsu seems to say "latest information on FF7R" so we might get some new info...
Also animate (Big Japanese game/anime store) has teased some sort of collaboration reveal next week... so I guess they might kickstart promotion for the game in Japan next week.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still a bit annoyed that the PAL boxart is also based on the originals NA boxart.
Have we seen the Japanese one? Is it the same?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Still a bit annoyed that the PAL boxart is also based on the originals NA boxart.
Have we seen the Japanese one? Is it the same?
71DIPMJCusL._SL1500_.jpg

it has reversible cover which we don't know how it looks right now.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Must be close to the finish line now in terms of development (providing there's no delays, which I'm 95% confident there won't be). Maybe finishing in the run up to January before going gold at the end of January?

Oct 31, 2017

TLDR
Would add replay-ability

Go play a WRPG. Enjoy your extremely unpolished presentation

JKGQ2013

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah SE has been doing this in recent years, i got one with the Dragon Quest XI Collector's last year. I have the FF7 1st class edition preordered so i guess i'm getting this lanyard too. Awesome Square-Enix!

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean no red in the game?
he will be in the game, but i think the chance of him not being playable is very high, all the promotional content is about aerith, tifa, barret, cloud, i think they would have revealed by now to sell red xiii stuff, and since he's a dog/cat/lion, i think his stuff would be quite popular to sell.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
So Part 1 won't even get to finish Midgar?

I'm a bit confused now. We've definitely seen Shinra HQ, and there isn't much between that, Red XIII, or even end of Midgar.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Double post but.. whatever.

Tifa is gonna be such a blast to play as.
Is this the first time we've heard Omnistrike?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
7k2cgzN.png

we did see Omnipunch in E3 trailer... not sure if how different it is from Omnistrike but I wouldn't be too surprised if they changed the name from Omnipunch to Omnistrike since you see her kicking during Omnipunch lol..

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7k2cgzN.png

we did see Omnipunch in E3 trailer... not sure if how different it is from Omnistrike but I wouldn't be too surprised if they changed the name from Omnipunch to Omnistrike since you see her kicking during Omnipunch lol..
i think not, by kitase words it looks like omnistrike is a temporary buff that changes your attacks to more powerfull ones and it can be used twice in a row until unbridled strenght mode buff

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
i think not, by kitase words it looks like omnistrike is a temporary buff that changes your attacks to more powerfull ones and it can be used twice in a row until unbridled strenght mode buff
yeah that could be the case. Tifa's abilities translate quite differently from Japanese to English so it's hard to match which one is which atm...

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this game or The Last of Us 2 will win the most wanted game for 2020 in Reset Era. Probably TLoU 2.

Also first time ever FF VII will be allowed to participate lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.