• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aerith design differences compared to the original:

wArleE5.jpg

The new dress is gonna be a lot easier to animate, especially for battle, compared to the stiffer looking on of the OG. The og worked until now because in all CG appearances it was in, she had limited movement

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess to compensate for the less form-fitting dress they gave her a wider cleavage.

The Crisis Core secret ending literally had a butt shot (with no panty lines).

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The new dress is gonna be a lot easier to animate, especially for battle, compared to the stiffer looking on of the OG. The og worked until now because in all CG appearances it was in, she had limited movement

Ahh, nice catch. I never think about details like that. I just checked the trailer, the bottom of her skirt flows when she's doing her staff attack, but it looked like the middle/top portion stayed still.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Two questions:

-do we know if SE cometely rebooted the project after bringing it internally or did they keep some CC2 assets?
They were never clear about it and nothing looks different from the previous iteration. One thing for sure is they never mentioned it or implied that they were going to reboot it, it was mainly about milestones and overall production. It looks like CC2 was not reaching targeted milestones.
Hamaguchi said:
but the company has decided to shift to an internal setup, including mass production and quality, because we want to control everything, including quality, on a stable schedule

Despite much mocking at the time by users here, they had stated on several occasions after that it was ahead of KH3 in certain aspects and the game would release in the next 3 years or so. It was likely already in mass production.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, nice catch. I never think about details like that. I just checked the trailer, the bottom of her skirt flows when she's doing her staff attack, but it looked like the middle/top portion stayed still.
its different too its a leather jacket now, its bigger and different design, and there's metalic details on the shoulder the color is the same only, also her pendant is new

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely bodes well for a Tifa skort or shorts and a longer shirt
while changes to designs have been made, they are still only updated looks and still aiming to be as close to the original looks as possible. I doubt they are gonna get rid of Tifa's skirt. Skort maybe, but I doubt they will make it very noticeable it is one unless the camera is peeking that way. Just saying don't get hopes up too much. Aerith and Barret haven't been updated in a long time. Tifa's been the same in every iteration except her AC outfit.

Anything is possible for sure. Just a lot of people are getting their hopes up based on Aerith and Barret, who while had alterations, were mostly just updated with vastly similar clothes thats still the same look in concept.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the remake can be good. Or I should say I don't think the remake can capture the density of the environments, the absurdity of the scenarios, the quirkiness of the plotting, and stay true to the original and be good. Replaying it now...I'm in Cosmo Canyon. I love this game so freaking much. I just think it's going to need to be heavily edited to be stylistically consistent and it makes me sad. I hope not though. I want to see so much of this weird shit.

Most important is the lack of transition between some areas that keep things fast. Gold Saucer makes no sense; it's like a Dark Souls II level. Everything is connected via tube in like an infinite loop.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

wArleE5.jpg
Aerith's Remake design is what I'd call a "third version". It's different than the original 1997 era design, and is considerably different than the FFVII Compilation redesign (even though it keeps changed bangle bracelets and sleeve belts). FFVII Compilation's jacket and dress were more closer to the original. The key difference between those and the Remake jacket (other than the waist belt) is the collar:
latest
CxmLKcx.jpg

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said this in my own Tifa Speculation thread, but I wanted to share it here for additional input (and in case the other thread closes):

I already theorized this when the last teaser hit, but I'm pretty much convinced that the main reason they held off showing Tifa in the last teaser is that they want to use her to showcase the new action-focused battle system.

Ask someone what their favorite scene was in Advent Children and you'll almost certainly get "the Tifa fight in the church" as the answer. I even recall claims back then that the official CG image of her in the church was the most Google searched image at the time.

Pretty ladies destroying hordes of enemies have always been a big media grab, but it's especially a big draw now after blockbuster hits like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel (contrary to the hilariously pathetic cries of manbabies online). And considering there's a pivotal moment where Tifa becomes the main playable character AND pulls Cloud out of his emotional slump, I really do believe that when this Remake is concluded that her status as the most popular character after Cloud and Sephiroth will be cemented....and I wouldn't say it's impossible she rises above one or both of them. I've recently seen streams from popular YouTubers who love the crap out of FFVII and was surprised to learn that they've chosen Tifa as their all-time favorite character, even after Cloud.

That's why it's so very, very important that Square makes sure she gets an accessible design appreciated by almost everyone, instead of specifically catering to the hentai side of the fandom. I really hope they got their priorities in order.

While I still don't think the majority of fans (or Square) think this, there is a significant chunk that consider her "the boob girl" of Final Fantasy, and that's always a bummer for a legitimately well-written character.

It's one of the main reasons I wanted a Remake so badly; if Lara Croft can get a makeover that makes her a more respected female icon, then Tifa is capable of the same (and without needing such a drastic redesign either: the skirt can stay, her chest can still be ample, just don't go too far that it looks like a shitty Skyrim mod).

I really hope Square reads the room on this one. If she isn't the most popular female character in the franchise, she's almost assuredly going to be after this Remake.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of the three characters the only one thats 1:1 to the original is cloud i believe, i can't remember any difference

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

wArleE5.jpg
I'm slightly disappointed about this specific nitpick, because she had a very 90s fire outfit that showcases something of a half-sexy half-biker look whereas the new one seems to target more on her perceived "pureness" with a flowy dress and regular jacket.

Ironically the old one feels more modern than the new one in my mind.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not happening.

They literally replaced Aerith's form-fitting slit dress with a wide non-slit dress. They also made her jacket longer (it goes all the way down to her belly instead of stopping at the bottom of her breasts).

The dress is a big change because let's face it, if you google Aerith fanart a lot of artists emphasize her hips and butt with the original tight dress (which they won't be able to do with this new design).

Based on all that, I don't see how Tifa shorts and longer shirt can't happen. Skirt to shorts is a way smaller change than Aerith's dress. In many gameplay shots you wouldn't even notice a difference (but it would be more realistic for a fighter and would avoid any potential upskirt problem).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly disappointed about this specific nitpick, because she had a very 90s fire outfit that showcases something of a half-sexy half-biker look whereas the new one seems to target more on her perceived "pureness" with a flowy dress and regular jacket.

I think the look you're citing there was unintentional. Nomura really just liked drawing studded rims on things for his VII designs back then, hah.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think the look you're citing there was unintentional. Nomura really just liked drawing studded rims on things for his VII designs back then, hah.
It's very fashion-inspired in my mind and even if he didn't want to give that vibe about her I just hope it isn't a sign to come that they're going to retro-actively change Aerith into this innocent, pure angel when...she wasn't

But then again the compilation worked overtime to make it appear that way.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
of the three characters the only one thats 1:1 to the original is cloud i believe, i can't remember any difference

Aside from the material the fabric is made of, its never been really changed in any of its appearances. Like Tifa. though Cloud and Tifa are the only ones getting constantly getting updated art out of the playable cast

They literally replaced Aerith's form-fitting slit dress with a wide non-slit dress. They also made her jacket longer (it goes all the way down to her belly instead of stopping at the bottom of her breasts).

The dress is a big change because let's face it, if you google Aerith fanart a lot of artists emphasize her hips and butt with the original tight dress (which they won't be able to do with this new design).

Based on all that, I don't see how Tifa shorts and longer shirt can't happen. Skirt to shorts is a way smaller change than Aerith's dress. In many gameplay shots you wouldn't even notice a difference (but it would be more realistic for a fighter and would avoid any potential upskirt problem).

I doubt they changed Aerith's dress because of how it looked. If anything it was changed because it was a lot easier to deal with in animation. Especially in battle

That being said. Of course they could change Tifa. Doesn't mean they will. And I highly doubt SE cares much about the implications of her clothes considering they not once altered her outfit. Not even for the updated anniversary CG art.

Its always possible. Don't get too hyped for it

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Placing bets. Who is gonna be the worst (barring Cait Sith) and best to play?

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Best will probably be Cloud, if we were to ignore Cloud then I'd say Tifa. I sadly suspect Red XIII will be the worst as well, mainly because I think his movement will feel off.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Cloud will be the primary character that the combat system is built around, and everyone else will basically be more of a support role/situational factor.

For instance, i dont think it will be a deal where you just take control of Barrett and play as him the entire game ,but we'll see.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
This really needs ta not be full on 3rd person behind the back view the entire way through. There's too many good locked camera angles in the original that add to scenes and even just getting around. Have a feeling full 3rd person'll make the game feel really linear, keeping in mind that the original is as well. But the topdown and other random views make things feel larger.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that's been bothering me about the gameplay footage is that Cloud moves like a noodle instead of having his wider more powerful stances from Advent Children.

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that's been bothering me about the gameplay footage is that Cloud moves like a noodle instead of having his wider more powerful stances from Advent Children.

Well, let's consider that the Cloud we've seen on the trailers so far is not as powerful or experienced as AC Cloud.

AC Cloud, in his post-depression state is definitely Prime Cloud.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's consider that the Cloud we've seen on the trailers so far is not as powerful or experienced as AC Cloud.

AC Cloud, in his post-depression state is definitely Prime Cloud.
The animation in particular is what seemed off. Like too loosey goosey when it comes to his legs. Maybe its his pants idk lol.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

The things like that, more bulky iron pieces of costumes, seem to be eliminated more since the FFVII Compilation. To me, though, that stuff, like Aerith's studded iron sleeve braces, Barret's grungy iron waist band, and the old SOLDIER emblems were part of the "look" of FFVII's steampunk/dieselpunk/cyberpunk world. It wasn't supposed to be shiny and clean, which I got worried seeing the first Remake teaser at that one E3 where they show some REALLY modern, SLICK looking skyscrapers which, to me, feel out of place in Midgar, EVEN on the upper plate. That stuff belongs in Insomnia, NOT MIdgar. Midgar was never supposed to look "modern" (they made a conscious decision not to go that route) kinda looked more... noir-esque, more closely to major cities during the 1800s-early 1900s (while the most "modern" and sleek location in the game was Shinra HQ, for good reason, as they were hording all the wealth and technology). The REST of those on the upper plate weren't as advanced as the Shinra Corporation themselves, which shows the divide between classes, ESPECIALLY those on the tippy-top and everybody else).

And going FFVII's fashion, some of the style looked like it was fashioned out of junk, which was the point. FFVII's world was dirty, grimy, rusted and ruined for much of the people NOT living in luxury.

latest

Hell, Cloud and Sephiroth's SOLDIER emblems were slightly different (which is natural to differentiate between Cloud's 1st Class emblem and Sephroth's "a league of his own" class)
soldier_emblem_variants_wallpaper_by_zfshadowsoldier_dcvd4g5-fullview.jpg

(great art by ZFShadowSOLDIER)

iwSinM4.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
When the latest trailer for FF7 Remake was released, I noticed that Cloud and Sephiroth's voices seemed to be different from what I remember.

After looking around for information the most I could find is this tweet reply from George Newbern

In case you can't see the tweet a fan replies asking "Are you still playing Sephiroth in the latest FF7 Remake trailer?" to which George replies "Hmmm." There are more tweets where he just replies with emoticons.

This is strange considering Steve Burton and George Newbern have been providing vocal performances for these characters for a long time with the latest being last year's Dissidia NT.

Steve Burton's earliest role was in Kingdom Hearts (2002) and his latest is Dissidia NT (2018) so 16 years.

George Newbern's earliest role was Advent Children (2005) and his latest is Dissidia NT (2018) so 13 years.

I personally hope that the trailer voices are just placeholders even though I can't think of a single example of that ever occurring before.

In the event that it's confirmed that they're not returning then I have to wonder what changed considering we had prior confirmation that Steve Burton at the very least was reprising his role as Cloud.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the latest trailer for FF7 Remake was released, I noticed that Cloud and Sephiroth's voices seemed to be different from what I remember.

After looking around for information the most I could find is this tweet reply from George Newbern

In case you can't see the tweet a fan replies asking "Are you still playing Sephiroth in the latest FF7 Remake trailer?" to which George replies "Hmmm." There are more tweets where he just replies with emoticons.

This is strange considering Steve Burton and George Newbern have been providing vocal performances for these characters for a long time with the latest being last year's Dissidia NT.

Steve Burton's earliest role was in Kingdom Hearts (2002) and his latest is Dissidia NT (2018) so 16 years.

George Newbern's earliest role was Advent Children (2005) and his latest is Dissidia NT (2018) so 13 years.

I personally hope that the trailer voices are just placeholders even though I can't think of a single example of that ever occurring before.

In the event that it's confirmed that they're not returning then I have to wonder what changed considering we had prior confirmation that Steve Burton at the very least was reprising his role as Cloud.

I heard the voices are placeholders because they haven't really begun voice recording yet and didn't want to bring them in and pay just for a trailer, so they got similar sounding people

But we will see

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I just watched Advent Children today for the first time since 06, I think the Cloud and Sephiroth voices in the trailer sound the same.

Edit: I just rewatched the trailer for the first time since watching AC earlier today... Yeah I was wrong, Sephiroth sounds a lot different.

Last edited:

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
The hype is real with how many threads were created for this game just because that one minute trailer.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I heard the voices are placeholders because they haven't really begun voice recording yet and didn't want to bring them in and pay just for a trailer, so they got similar sounding people

But we will see

Idk why this matters to you all? They sound better besides Barret. Burton and Newbern are awful. They need to stay gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.