• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play the demo this morning at E3. Glad I got there a couple hours before doors opened for it cause the tickets ran out fast.
Few small fights in the reactor leading to the Guard Scorpion encounter.
  • Combat is so much fun.
  • Framerate was not great, but they got time for polishing and it's likely an older build.
  • Voice acting is fine to good.
Overall my already-through-the-roof-hype is now even higher.
Was the entire level seamless?

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Got to play the demo this morning at E3. Glad I got there a couple hours before doors opened for it cause the tickets ran out fast.
  • Combat is so much fun.
  • Framerate was not great, but they got time for polishing and it's likely an older build.
Anyway to access the start and character menus?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
What if they aren't letting any filming of the E3 demo because they will make it avaliable on PSN?

tenor.gif
My secret hope is that they're testing the waters with the E3 demo, judging the reaction, and deciding whether or not to release it to the public afterward.

I know it's a pipe dream, but a man's gotta believe in something

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
While the demo impression seems generally positive, because of frame rate issues I don't see them releasing PSN demo anytime soon, if ever.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how bad the frame rate is, it didn't seem to bad when they were showing it off. Wonder if we are talking dips into the 10s here

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
how does the movement feel? is it snappy/responsive?

To be honest, it was a little wonky out of combat. Little too sensitive on the turns maybe? In combat it felt fine.
Was the entire level seamless?

Outside of cutscene breaks, yes. Mind you this was the very end of that section. Few ladders and catwalks then the boss.

Anyway to access the start and character menus?

Didn't even try, sorry.

While it's sort of mindless mashing square, once you fill up that ATB it becomes way more interesting.
You can sort of queue abilities so you don't need to wait for one to finish first. You can also either straight up switch characters (will be necessary to exploit weakness) or just give them commands during ATB that they'll rattle off.
It felt way better than 15, and is probably the best way they could have updated the ATB system.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how bad the frame rate is, it didn't seem to bad when they were showing it off. Wonder if we are talking dips into the 10s here

Not gonna lie, once you get control and head down the first ladder it was bad enough for me to think, "yikes, that's bad." Probably dipped around 15 for a very, very brief moment. But it was still noticable. It didn't get worse than that, at least not that I noticed, but it was definitely not a stable 30.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not gonna lie, once you get control and head down the first ladder it was bad enough for me to think, "yikes, that's bad." Probably dipped around 15 for a very, very brief moment. But it was still noticable. It didn't get worse than that, at least not that I noticed, but it was definitely not a stable 30.
Cheers for the reply, hopefully they can squash that out, were you playing on a base PS4 or a pro?

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Saw this tweet from Cloud's VA and thought it was really encouraging. As much as I liked Steve, it felt like he was phoning it in on some of his later work as Cloud. This new guy, along with some of the other new VAs, seem really excited and honored to be the ones to lend their voice to these characters.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
www.gameinformer.com

Development Of Further Final Fantasy VII Games Won't Be Much Faster

They are also not quite sure yet how many more games there will be.

Big oof :(

I just ran the numbers in my head; FFVIIR was taken in-house sometime in Spring of 2017; assuming that CyberConnect2's work is basically a write off, that gives about a 36 month dev-cycle from start of actual production to release which is about standard for AAA games these days.

I don't think it's THAT bad, but I'm curious when they're going to cut off Part II. I think Aerith's death probably makes the most sense, because then you still have several meaningful events between that and the end of the whole game. I feel like drawing it out longer than a Trilogy is a bad idea, though.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  • Combat is so much fun.
Are party members visible, walking along with Cloud, outside of battles?

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can sort of queue abilities so you don't need to wait for one to finish first. You can also either straight up switch characters (will be necessary to exploit weakness) or just give them commands during ATB that they'll rattle off.

This gives me some hope about combat not being mindless button smashing. Could you try the tactical mode where time slows down? Is it possible to have characters auto attack until the ATB bar is full?

I guess this was on a Pro? If yes I don't expect a demo anytime soon.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just ran the numbers in my head; FFVIIR was taken in-house sometime in Spring of 2017; assuming that CyberConnect2's work is basically a write off, that gives about a 36 month dev-cycle from start of actual production to release which is about standard for AAA games these days.

I don't think it's THAT bad, but I'm curious when they're going to cut off Part II. I think Aerith's death probably makes the most sense, because then you still have several meaningful events between that and the end of the whole game. I feel like drawing it out longer than a Trilogy is a bad idea, though.

There's not many good spots to cut it off from after Midgar until then. And if they cut it off there like they should. There is not much left. Most of the world would have been already done in Part 2.

Part 2 is going to be the deciding factor in how many parts there will be, because that will contain probably the most amount of work building the world. And that is probably why they say they can't say anything atm

Saleal

May 24, 2019
well this e3 showcase has been very fulfilling. Tifa is just
d96.jpg
. Everything they have shown was perfect.
One thing that truly got me was the scale of Midgar, really sells me on why they chose to make the first part just this city.
We've truly come a long way.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

They have truly captured the scale of this megacity

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
There's not many good spots to cut it off from after Midgar until then. And if they cut it off there like they should. There is not much left. Most of the world would have been already done in Part 2.

Part 2 is going to be the deciding factor in how many parts there will be, because that will contain probably the most amount of work building the world. And that is probably why they say they can't say anything atm

Isn't there still a bit of North Continent that would still need to be done?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there still a bit of North Continent that would still need to be done?

that's why I said most. After the Forgotten City. All you got left really are: North Crater/Icicle area, Underwater zones, Mideel. After that its mostly smaller, side areas. And updating existing ones

The return to Midgar would reuse a lot of stuff

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this tweet from Cloud's VA and thought it was really encouraging. As much as I liked Steve, it felt like he was phoning it in on some of his later work as Cloud. This new guy, along with some of the other new VAs, seem really excited and honored to be the ones to lend their voice to these characters.

That moment when you realize the guy playing one of your childhood favorites is 4 years younger than you.....

He already seems like a much better VA than Steve was(who frankly, just had a cool tone that never changed in pitch). Glad to see how seriously he's taking the role.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one thing that i'm thinking is that maybe they will go with 4 parts.

if we get the time to beat ff7+extras (all side quests) https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=3521
its 55 hours, midgar is +/- 5 hours, so 1/11 of the content. There's still 50 hours of game. Lets assume ff7 remake part 1 is a 30 hour game and the remaing parts will be the same.
You would have 5 hours to the remaining 2 games to make new things, cutscenes, voiced dialogue, expand. So the games would be very close to the old game.

Unless each part is a 40/50 hours games, but that would be remarkable, imo

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of the japanese voices

I like barett more here.

I'm not fond of Bentley's over the top performance for Barret, mostly during intense situation. Masahiro is also often super ham but somehow he sounds more measured here, so he wins out.

I love what I hear of Baron as Tifa, though. She sounds tougher than anything I've ever heard from Ito's Tifa.

Everyone else I feel roughly similar as of now.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one thing that i'm thinking is that maybe they will go with 4 parts.

if we get the time to beat ff7+extras (all side quests) https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=3521
its 55 hours, midgar is +/- 5 hours, so 1/11 of the content. There's still 50 hours of game. Lets assume ff7 remake part 1 is a 30 hour game and the remaing parts will be the same.
You would have 5 hours to the remaining 2 games to make new things, cutscenes, voiced dialogue, expand. So the games would be very close to the old game.

Unless each part is a 40/50 hours games, but that would be remarkable, imo

40/50 hours seens exactly what they are aiming for for each part.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
kinda disappointed they didn't recast the japanese dub side.. I know they're iconic.. but there's never a lack of rising star talent. I want new and young blood given a chance. Sakurai would be over 50 when this thing conclude.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
well this e3 showcase has been very fulfilling. Tifa is just
d96.jpg
. Everything they have shown was perfect.
One thing that truly got me was the scale of Midgar, really sells me on why they chose to make the first part just this city.
We've truly come a long way.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

They have truly captured the scale of this megacity
Amazing damn.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
kinda disappointed they didn't recast the japanese dub side.. I know they're iconic.. but there's never a lack of rising star talent. I want new and young blood given a chance. Sakurai would be over 50 when this thing conclude.
I would be pretty pissed if they recast Takahiro Sakurai as Cloud, not gonna lie lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man if this game really ends at Midgar than the sequel has the potential to have one of the most effective openings ever:
77LPsBX.gif
qw9N0Pe.gif

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked a lot of what they showed during their conference. It feels like they really get what people want out of this remake. And I'm hoping that means that Barrett will be a better character in the final game. There's nothing wrong with having a black character be loud or obnoxious or using slang. But this portrayal is just a bad character. He sounds more like a 80s/90's pro-wrestler than somebody with an attitude.

It feels like they did nothing to redesign the character. It's pretty obvious that the original does a lot of caricaturization because of its crude graphics. Most characters are basically pantomiming whatever character qualities they are supposed to have. But this remake looks like it's trying to be more subtle in most cases. Tifa is a good example of this. The original FFVII game was probably trying to represent what we are seeing in this remake, but crude graphics require exaggerated body dimensions. Every element of FFVII is toned down a bit because it's meant to be a more realistic illustration, and the pantomiming is no longer necessary. But Barrett feels like he is taken straight out of the original version unchanged. It sucks if he is like this because he actually has some important story-points that are going to be super awkward to hear from him if he's trying to sound like Macho Man Randy Savage.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah now that they have said it ends after fleeing midgar part 2 has to open with the flashback right? Would be great.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone see the Easy Allies impressions? Brad mentioned that characters have different stances? That seems interesting.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
They are fucking fantastic and I require Japanese audio as a mandatory option. If you understand a bit you also get better context from the Tifa and Sephiroth dialogue.

Dream come true game. Damn. Still excited after 24 hours.

Yeah I agree. Instead of "Don't let go of your hatred" Seph just straight up says "Don't forget about me" to Cloud at the end.

I really REALLY hope we have separate subs depending on the voice over language. Like Judgment will, for instance.

It's super jarring in games to hear the Japanese VO say one thing and the sub another.

Status
Not open for further replies.