• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The ultra-limited party is part of what stings the most. Barret looks absolutely awful to use in combat and having the player only have four options for party members for an entire game just feels confusing, like they originally planned to go further than they are and then just cut everything where a fifth party member would be usable.

What's the point of even having a character selection choice if you only have four characters? Just bring them all out at once.

What the point of other party members in the old games.
This new battle system make the game much more strategic and even give a reason to use other characters aside from there limit break .
I am sorry but lack of characters not a problem when there much more to them now than just standing up and pressing x to attack or heal .

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
The combat completely blew my expectations out of the water. Now my main concern is the game being too linear, but I have not find any piece of information addressing that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What the point of other party members in the old games.
This new battle system make the game much more strategic and even give a reason to use other characters aside from there limit break .
I am sorry but lack of characters not a problem when there much more to them now than just standing up and pressing x to attack or heal .

What's the point of Barret in the remake? His attacks do no damage and when you play as him he's all auto-aim button-mashing. You can't even aim his shots.

Cloud and Tifa look fine, but Barret looks terrible. I don't understand what the point of setting him up to be even less useful than Prompto was.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of Barret in the remake? His attacks do no damage and when you play as him he's all auto-aim button-mashing. You can't even aim his shots.

Cloud and Tifa look fine, but Barret looks terrible. I don't understand what the point of setting him up to be even less useful than Prompto was.

He appears to have buffs/debuffs. Frankly I'm glad that they're making characters have somewhat unique abilities; in the original characters were largely interchangeable.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The combat completely blew my expectations out of the water. Now my main concern is the game being too linear, but I have not find any piece of information addressing that.
Yeah I'm also a bit worried about this. I'm hoping it will at least be a little open. Although the original wasn't really that open anyway

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

But that's just his chip damage. His actually damage where you use the ATB you still have to think what your next move is.

This isn't a third person shooter having to aim as Barrett would be terrible.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

I cant remember which site but I read that he is good against enemies that are unreachable with a sword.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

What ?
There are certain enemies than only Barret can hit which is already way more to him than the old game .
Also you can target which enemies you want and you can hold or press the button for different attacks.
Which build up the ATB to give you access to more powerful far range attacks.
He is far range character which already make him different than both Tifa and Cloud.
There is way more to him than the old game where characters interchangeable aside from limit breaks.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

He's not looking any more button mashy than the melee characters. And Cloud even vocalized the point of Barret in some of the footage - long range attacks.

Until we get long range materia that is. Then bye nerd. Keeping Vincent in my party though.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Must admit I was completely and happily wrong about this game. First time I saw it, I thought it was horrible, but they have really turned my opinion around.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I just got thinking. Why was Tifa's reveal so hyped? As why was she hidden unlike the other main characters like Aeris ans Sephiroth? Could it been seen that her role will be expanded? She is after all one of the few characters that witnessed what Sephiroth did.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Barrett is actually a button push for his gun if the Easy Allies are to be believed. You just hold the button and his gun goes to town, so his ATB gauge fills faster than Clouds

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I just got thinking. Why was Tifa's reveal so hyped? As why was she hidden unlike the other main characters like Aeris ans Sephiroth? Could it been seen that her role will be expanded? She is after all one of the few characters that witnessed what Sephiroth did.
I think she was hidden because of the potential boobs backlash.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa probably had the most controversial design from the original. I think most fans were afraid they would nerf/not nerf her sex appeal.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it was necessarily hidden, but they were just taking turns revealing character.
First they revealed Cloud, Barret. After that there was trailer focusing on Aerith (with Sepiroth tease). After that there was Tifa and Sepiroth.
For example if they revealed Aerith and Tifa at the same time, one (Aerith) would lose much needed attention.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
He's not looking any more button mashy than the melee characters. And Cloud even vocalized the point of Barret in some of the footage - long range attacks.

Until we get long range materia that is. Then bye nerd. Keeping Vincent in my party though.

Yep.
IMO if it's one thing i happy i won't see any more is people talking about strategic they old battle system was etc etc when that was BS.
The new one make things much better and make the characters less interchangeable at least early on .

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like we haven't seen Tifa since FF7. We already had an idea of what she would look like from AC, Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia. So the worry of how she would look seems weird.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
A bit of information that doesn't seem to be on the USA site. Might be old news so forgive me.

On the Japanese site it places a lot of emphasis on Cloud and Aeriths meeting, the meaning of the flower (which apparently means reunion) and the "guardians of fate/destiny" which refers to those black clouds it seems.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yep.
IMO if it's one thing i happy i won't see any more is people talking about strategic they old battle system was etc etc when that was BS.
The new one make things much better and make the characters less interchangeable at least early on .
There was some strategy with materia setups but the game was too easy so all the strategy was being done out of fun or interest rather than necessity. But yeah normal attacking in normal battles is mostly whatever so I think this system looks good.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Tifa is hella popular, especially in Japan.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's not like we haven't seen Tifa since FF7. We already had an idea of what she would look like from AC, Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia. So the worry of how she would look seems weird.
Because we haven't seen her for a while. AC was probably the last most prominent appearance and it's a long time. Also even Dissidia and KH was long time as well.
Also the in these days, at least in the West, there is a lot of talk about characters with pandering, and Tifa is the iconic pandering character of FF7. Also add in Sony' recent new policy (lol)

And in general Tifa is super popular character. Her reveal itself makes a huge headline.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
There was some strategy with materia setups but the game was too easy so all the strategy was being done out of fun or interest rather than necessity. But yeah normal attacking in normal battles is mostly whatever so I think this system looks good.

What is great about this new system is you can most likely still do the materia set up in this version .
They just have another layer to it combine with everything else.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

Just as "hyped" as all the other unrevealed party members are.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They will most likely expand her role .
If they expanding side characters they will do it for one of the most popular characters in the game.
Think people will be angry but i also expect them to expand on Sephiroth .

Hoechlin defintely sounds less outright evil than Newbern's take on the character did. Maybe they'll show more of him at Nibelheim, but I always kind of read Seph as always being kind of a dick even before he went insane. "High School star quarterback who believes his own hype" basically.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I hope you live a long and healthy life, but just in case (you didn't say in the remake!):

So beautiful.
The first time I played my game glitched and it went straight to the end movie. I didn't even know you could unlock it during normal gameplay. Only saw it for the first time on my second playthrough.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So beautiful.
The first time I played my game glitched and it went straight to the end movie. I didn't even know you could unlock it during normal gameplay. Only saw it for the first time on my second playthrough.

The first time I did that fight, I had put the controller down during the cutscenes so when the battle started I thought it was a cutscene too, like the battle cutscenes from FF6. The game is set up so if Sephiroth hits you even once, Cloud automatically counters him with Omnislash. I think it's the only time in the game you can counter-limit like that.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
if they can really flesh out the environmental, eco-terrorist message and storyline they could receive a LOT of plaudits because of how that has become more relevant than ever in contemporary times. It's an encouraging sign that that seems to be a focal point of the trailers so far, including the moral ambiguity of bombing reactors and risking innocent lives for the greater cause of saving the planet.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
if they can really flesh out the environmental, eco-terrorist message and storyline they could receive a LOT of plaudits because of how that has become more relevant than ever in contemporary times. It's an encouraging sign that that seems to be a focal point of the trailers so far, including the moral ambiguity of bombing reactors and risking innocent lives for the greater cause of saving the planet.
Hidden "fuck trump" message has to be included.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hidden "fuck trump" message has to be included.
rp6PxVa.jpg

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to gauge since the Reactor place is a literal 1:1 apparently (obvious larger) w/ added in places since there's no transitions now according to EZA. They've said they're not going to worry about whether it's a sandbox or open world, so I'm expecting the city to be varied in its design.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
She has a lot of fanboys and fangirls who feel Aerith overshadows her too much. The excitement makes a lot of sense.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they change the title before release. Although, I would find it hilarious if the following parts were called Remake-2, Remake-3 etc.

Imo they should go with FFVII Volume 1, FFVII Volume 2 etc or maybe FFVII Midgar, FFVII Gaia, FFVII Meteor.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Jim Sterling didn't particularly care for it. I don't usually agree with Jim on his game tastes. He loved FFXV whereas I wasn't able to get more than a couple hours into it. But it's always good to have a wide array of impressions!

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Please God no. It can have political themes without having to mention real world politics.
Probably just meme-ing. Would be pretty out of character for square.

Anyways was thinking for Pt. II, what sort of field activities should be added? I think having bounties would be cool, as well as new villages and optional dungeons. I sort of hope Kalm is slightly more modern; one of my criticisms of OG FFVII is if you live outside Midgar or Junon, there's no real reeason why you'd need Mako Energy. I get theres supposed to be a contrast, but I like the idea of Shinra's tendrils getting everywhere, and showing a bit more of the conflict between human progress and environmental sustainability

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they change the title before release. Although, I would find it hilarious if the following parts were called Remake-2, Remake-3 etc.

Imo they should go with FFVII Volume 1, FFVII Volume 2 etc or maybe FFVII Midgar, FFVII Gaia, FFVII Meteor.
FFVII Remake Estuans interius ira vehementi

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
D83aiKZU0AE_eg9.jpg

D83ajboUIAAMQk1.jpg

Dat nostalgia... ;_;

Also I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, the Japanese site mentions the game will have reversible cover.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
I better get a play arts kai of Remake Tifa so I don't have to stare at the 800+ dollar pricetag on her advent children pak on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.