• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling didn't particularly care for it. I don't usually agree with Jim on his game tastes. He loved FFXV whereas I wasn't able to get more than a couple hours into it. But it's always good to have a wide array of impressions!

I'm surprised Jim thought the battles were "busy", especially coming from XV. I felt like it was super easy to follow throughout the gameplay trailer. What I will agree with Jim is the soundtrack that played during Guard Scorpion. The trailer had the familiar battle theme in the background but the gameplay trailer had super generic orchestral music. I'm hoping it was just placeholder music, and that the OST is more in line with the original.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wow, the first part will take place all in Midgar and will have two discs worth of content.

This is interesting. Real interesting. This remake is a reimagining for sure now that will now be its own series.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
D83aiKZU0AE_eg9.jpg

D83ajboUIAAMQk1.jpg

Dat nostalgia... ;_;

Also I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, the Japanese site mentions the game will have reversible cover.

Make the logo for the black covered centered and a bit bigger, and I'm sold.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I still think they really need to add a subtitle or something to show that this isn't the full FFVII story. I was talking to my friend about this, who was really excited about it, and he had no idea it was a multi-game project.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Jim Sterling didn't particularly care for it. I don't usually agree with Jim on his game tastes. He loved FFXV whereas I wasn't able to get more than a couple hours into it. But it's always good to have a wide array of impressions!

Meh, like he said, he goes in cynical into these things.

I picked up an old save game of FFVII last night after getting hyped by these vids, and that game still holds up incredibly well, largely due to the fantastic soundtrack, memorable art direction, complex storyline, and punchy characters. Plus, I neeeeever get bored of the battle theme.

DA. DA. DA. DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA, DA. DA. DA.

DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAA!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see if this is because of length or more of an uncompressed data thing
Wouldn't be surprised if this game has 4k Fmv. Also wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of "in-game" cut-scenes are prerecorded too. Just like ff13 and kh3.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Jim thought the battles were "busy", especially coming from XV. I felt like it was super easy to follow throughout the gameplay trailer. What I will agree with Jim is the soundtrack that played during Guard Scorpion. The trailer had the familiar battle theme in the background but the gameplay trailer had super generic orchestral music. I'm hoping it was just placeholder music, and that the OST is more in line with the original.

Personally, as someone who LOVED Final Fantasy XV's combat to the moon and back, I have really liked what I've seen of the Remake's combat and I just can't wait to play it.

I DO have a couple of issues with what's been shown, and I've seen another user comment on the same: Barret's auto-lock attacks is one of them. After playing around with Prompto in XV and feeling the freedom of aiming my guns to whatever point I wanted, switching weapons on the fly and using grenades, Barret's style seems... restrictive, in a way, and over-simplified.

Again, this is just an opinion formed by watching the videos. Perhaps Barret will be very fun to play as (Even though I see myself as a future Tifa-user).

I do agree with Jim that there's just too much going on in the screen. I think they could tone down the excessive sparks produced by Cloud's strikes. They look cool, but it's just too many effects and they can become distracting.

Most of the rest looks really great and fun. I'm dying to try this new combat system.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

The boss gameplay had some remix/mashup of the bombing mission & boss battle theme.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
but the gameplay trailer had super generic orchestral music. I'm hoping it was just placeholder music, and that the OST is more in line with the original.
What?

It was a rather lavish arrangement of Those Who Fight Further and Bombing Mission that dynamically changed as the battle progressed. How can you think it's placeholder music?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if this game has 4k Fmv. Also wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of "in-game" cut-scenes are prerecorded too. Just like ff13 and kh3.

KH III has so few pre-recorded cutscenes. They went for a seamless cutscene -> gameplay transition and they probably will be doing the same for VII Remake.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

To each his own but that arrangement of Those who fight further was absolutely amazing in my opinion. Not generic in any way.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I figured out what they'll spend 30 hours of Midgar on. All the Deep Ground / Mako Reactor 0 stuff from Dirge of Cerberus no doubt ~

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Scorpion fight again: I think the camera during gameplay is a bit too low. Would be great if the game allowed you to change that and also zoom out a bit more

Deleted member 57718

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I just realised if the game is being split into parts how will the Golden Saucer date work?

Will it just default to Aerith if you don't have save data for the first part?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
The track is really bombastic orchestral so I could see how someone could miss immediately realizing that It's a remix of certain tracks.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The boss gameplay had some remix/mashup of the bombing mission & boss battle theme.
What?

It was a rather lavish arrangement of Those Who Fight Further that dynamically changed as the battle progressed. How can you think it's placeholder music?

To each his own but that arrangement of Those who fight further was absolutely amazing in my opinion. Not generic in any way.

Okay you all have a point, I take it back - I was too harsh calling it placeholder music. I could hear the overall theme of the track but the orchestral take on "Those Who Fight Further" felt overly epic, almost grandiose in nature, compared to the original. Just hearing the blaring horns and strings felt weird for me because the original track felt much more subdued and focused and in this trailer it sounded like it was meant to be much more intense than what we're used to with the Guard Scorpion - that is, an introduction to bosses in FFVII. It just felt weird listening to this super intense movie-style version while watching a boss I've wiped out 20+ times in the past.

Idk...the two just weren't gelling with me.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved the version of Those Who Fight Further in the demo. It feels appropriately cinematic and exciting.

I do hope there's another mix of it with guitars in the game, though. I always interpreted its opening notes as being metal guitar.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I think one thing I was struck by at the event is how big of a deal this is to Square. This probably is going to be THE FF game for Square besides XIV until the late 2020s. I was happily surprised with how much attention they're giving gameplay. I feel like Paradigms in FFXIII were the last time combat in FF was really anbitious.

Dumb Prediction, FFVII Part I will get an official subtitle at TGS. Probably with a cinematic trailer that also shows off traversal around Midgar.

I wonder if they'll allude to the fact that there was an AVALANCHE before Barret's.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think one thing I was struck by at the event is how big of a deal this is to Square. This probably is going to be THE FF game for Square besides XIV until the late 2020s. I was happily surprised with how much attention they're giving gameplay. I feel like Paradigms in FFXIII were the last time combat in FF was really anbitious.

Nah dude, they've had a big AAA title in production under Yoshi P for a whild now.
A lot of people more knowledgeable than me speculated this to be XVI.

My personal estimation for SE heavy hitters would be:

2020 - VII, Avengers
2021 - XVI, Ni3R
2022 - VII 2 (of 3), Luminous New IP
2023 - Team Osaka (either KH4 or a new IP), Avengers 2?

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Nah dude, they've had a big AAA title in production under Yoshi P for a whild now.
A lot of people more knowledgeable than me speculated this to be XVI.

My personal estimation for SE heavy hitters would be:

2020 - VII, Avengers
2021 - XVI, Ni3R
2022 - VII 2 (of 3), Luminous New IP
2023 - Team Osaka (either KH4 or a new IP), Avengers 2?

I reeeally don't think FFXVI will be out in 2021. I'd be surprised if FFXVI was *announced* by 2021. They've said they're treating the FFVII remake like its own numbered entry and I see no reason to not believe them.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
What if they gonna integrate parts of crisis core in the next parts?

The good parts i mean... angeal and (playable zack).

Exciting decade ahead of us brehs.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What if they gonna integrate parts of crisis core in the next parts?

The good parts i mean... angeal and (playable zack).

Exciting decade ahead of us brehs.
Nice ironic bait post but I don't think they'll be including anything beyond a reference here or there. Maybe some story expansions for zack x cloud x sephiroth's relationship.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So like, uhh, this was absolutely the game of show, right? Like, almost objectively speaking? lol.

A full-gameplay demonstration, followed by the wildest boss-battle I've seen in a long time (rivaling God of War & Spiderman), a super hype trailer full of the great, classic characters... I just can't believe how good this looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.