• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
lol some are expecting FFVII-2 to be released in 2022?

It took them 5 years to make FFVII-1 with Midgar only.

Don't expect FFVII-2 anytime sooner than 2023 if we were LUCKY.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. I wasn't being ironic.

I loved crisis core back in the day.
This was the only good thing in CC imo

I'm pretty sure I read that fan-fic.
0pGGQQ2.png

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017

Well work really only started in 2017. It looks like it'll ultimately have a 36-month production schedule, which is pretty reasonable for AAA games.

Curious, has anyone compared gameplay from this new reveal and the original gameplay demo from 2015?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Nah part 2 should come out faster .
For one they already got the battle system down .
The already have assets they can reuse over and already start planing part 2 .
Now i not saying that mean it going come out super fast or anything like that but 3 to 3 half years sound about right.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

The team are already working on the follow-up game and it's expected to take less time than the first instalment, which has been in development since 2015: 'Whilst the development team finish the first game in the project they are planning the volume of content for the second. Due to the work already done on the first game, we anticipate the development of the second game will be more efficient.'

This gives me a lil bit of hope.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nah part 2 should come out faster .
For one they already got the battle system down .
The already have assets they can reuse over and already start planing part 2 .
Now i not saying that mean it going come out super fast or anything like that but 3 to 3 half years sound about right.

The problem is, world design has been a serious weakness of Square's and Nomura's for the past two generations. They can't recycle any world assets for post-Midgar, so they're basically making an entirely new game and sticking the characters from this one into it.

Modern Square is terrible at building worlds, so that's going to take them a really long time and a ton of it will wind up missing.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they're planning to just release FFVII game after FFVII game for the next couple of years. It seems more like the plan is for the FFVII remakes to fill in these 5-6 year gaps between new mainline titles so they aren't going entire generations without at least one more high production value FF game.

FFXVI in 2021 is reasonable if they started in 2015/2016 as speculated, aren't suffering from the usual FF development curse, and aren't afraid to release something like that in the first year of next-gen (that's a lot of caveats I know lol). Then FFVII-2 can be in 2022 or the first half of 2023.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, world design has been a serious weakness of Square's and Nomura's for the past two generations. They can't recycle any world assets for post-Midgar, so they're basically making an entirely new game and sticking the characters from this one into it.

Modern Square is terrible at building worlds, so that's going to take them a really long time and a ton of it will wind up missing.

Yeah but i am not only talking about world assets .
I am talking about animation, back ground assets types etc etc .
Plus with next gen coming up i expect certain things to be easier to do.
SSD will make doing a open world much easier and if we get RT will also save on time.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

They can recycle the technology and that can do wonders for a sequel project.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think most of the hardest work is over.

They've got the majority of their principle characters' designs locked down, they seem to have decided on the tone and thematic elements, and the battle system will likely stay the same barring some modifications/upgrades down the line.

They clearly had many meetings and discussions over how to approach this behemoth. The remaining parts shouldn't take nearly as long.

Oct 30, 2017
What I'm curious about in terms of the multiple games is how it's all going to come together and be marketed.

How do you market your game in several parts to the average gamer? How does your progression carry over if it even does? Could you in theory play part 3 of 4 parts and never touch the other 3 games? How will new gamers see this when part 3 releases in 5 years? Will they even bother when it means having to buy several games just to experience the whole thing?

Its really interesting because theres a lot of marketing problems around this game. Especially when they can't even tell you how many games it's going to be. You have the potential to lose consumers with every additional game. Does the quality stay consistent or does it drop over time?

It's going to be interesting how well an entire story can work inside just the Midgar portion of the game. Adding dialogue, cutscenes and explorable areas will add to it, but to really flesh out a cohesive story with all the proper arcs that has to fit into the overall narrative has got to be a challenge. I really look forward to seeing how they handle all this.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
We have not seen clouds victory animation yet :(

It better be in there. I like what they've accomplished so far in terms of cinematic flair. The computer seems to take control of the camera for limit breaks and spells at some points. We need those close ups of the characters. We need to zoom in on Cloud's face to see his determination before he strikes. That was an important part of the characterization in the original and something that really hasn't been done as well since.

I'm not saying it needs to be at the end of every battle, but little things can be added without interrupting gameplay as well. The player could still be in control of Cloud while he spins his sword with a flick of his wrist before sheathing it. Cloud is a cocky motherfucker before his breakdown, and his mannerisms go a long way to establish this. Save the more dramatic, full cinematic stuff for after major boss battles while the victory theme is playing.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017

That mostly has to do with the Luminous engine being garbage. Games using UE4 such as Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest XI have fantastically realized worlds.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017

This is different though. Even with say a year delay internally due to switching development, they got it out within reasonable time for an AAA game. They've learned a lot from it and even if the assets will be new due to covering different areas, a lot of production should be much more efficient this time around.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the DL, this game is quite clearly a step above of FFXV visually. Materials, skin shading, eye shaders, etc. they all look a lot more convincing. Models seem to be higher poly too. But one thing I noticed is that the faces of the characters are more stylized. FFXV's team tried to aim for a higher level of photorealism when it came to the details compared to here, with more visible wrinkles and flaws. Interesting differences in art direction.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It better be in there. I like what they've accomplished so far in terms of cinematic flair. The computer seems to take control of the camera for limit breaks and spells at some points. We need those close ups of the characters. We need to zoom in on Cloud's face to see his determination before he strikes. That was an important part of the characterization in the original and something that really hasn't been done as well since.

I'm not saying it needs to be at the end of every battle, but little things can be added without interrupting gameplay as well. The player could still be in control of Cloud while he spins his sword with a flick of his wrist before sheathing it. Cloud is a cocky motherfucker before his breakdown, and his mannerisms go a long way to establish this. Save the more dramatic, full cinematic stuff for after major boss battles while the victory theme is playing.
Maybe it's just a silly taunt you can do by clicking the stick in whenever you want or something.

Copyrighted theory do not steal.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the hardest work is over.

They've got the majority of their principle characters' designs locked down, they seem to have decided on the tone and thematic elements, and the battle system will likely stay the same barring some modifications/upgrades down the line.

They clearly had many meetings and discussions over how to approach this behemoth. The remaining parts shouldn't take nearly as long.
I really hope they resist the urge to tweak/change/overhaul the battle or other systems with each subsequent release. Or alternatively, maybe the feedback for the first game will be good enough that they won't be tempted.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The escape from Midgar will be fucking bonkers in the remake. I'm expecting a huge spectacle.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the DL, this game is quite clearly a step above of FFXV visually. Materials, skin shading, eye shaders, etc. they all look a lot more convincing. Models seem to be higher poly too. But one thing I noticed is that the faces of the characters are more stylized. FFXV's team tried to aim for a higher level of photorealism when it came to the details compared to here, with more visible wrinkles and flaws. Interesting differences in art direction.
I prefer it tbh.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Just noticed that the Loveless billboard lists an opening date of 6/25 18:00. Which is a Tuesday. Sony updates PSN on Tuesday. Is it too much to hope for a demo on PSN in a couple weeks?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Rebuild of Final Fantasy VII.
Final Fantasy VII: 1. 0 - You Will (Not) Leave Midgar
Final Fantasy VII: 2.0 - You Can (Not) Explore The Overworld Map
Final Fantasy VII: 3.0 - You Can (Not) Revive Aerith
Final Fantasy VII: 3.0 + 1.0 - ???
under-appreciated post.

if they have a solution for the world map and pending on how much work they've done for part 2 we could see it in 2022. I wouldn't expect to see it any sooner though.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know if they actually explode everything the way they are with Midgar, I can actually seeing there being five parts.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
so now that we know, the first game is playing solely in Midgar, what are your wishes in terms of additional content? what would make sense? If its intended to be a 20-30 hour RPG Game, there is room for a lot

For me:

Driving around with the bike. outside of missions aka Days Gone
good written Side Quests (not hopeful on this one tough)
new Mini Games (races with the bike, a card game, illegal underground tournaments)

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that the Loveless billboard lists an opening date of 6/25 18:00. Which is a Tuesday. Sony updates PSN on Tuesday. Is it too much to hope for a demo on PSN in a couple weeks?
I noticed that too and am secretly hoping it means something. Very curious where we'll get more info next. Gamescom perhaps? giving a demo to people that pre-ordered would be cool.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they resist the urge to tweak/change/overhaul the battle or other systems with each subsequent release. Or alternatively, maybe the feedback for the first game will be good enough that they won't be tempted.
I mean, I think they should update and add new things over each release haha. I don't think it'll be absolutely perfect either.
Trust in Mitsunori Takahashi.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Normally I'd say maybe but since a lot of impressions seemed to say performance was iffy then it's probably not going public :(
I'm satisfied with S-E uploading a direct-feed walkthrough of the demo tbh.

Really loved the Scorpion battle, but the quality is shit :( I also want to see some exploration, even if it's minimal in the demo.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
So how will they do things for game 2. There has to be a way to carry over data as if you normally continued your playthrough but how will things work.

What will they do with Materia? Sure most people playing the game will have played the first one but you can't design the game without people just picking up the 2nd game in mind.

Do you give people who don't carry over data all Materia found in the first game?

Or do you have the player find all those Materia again. But what about people who carry over data? Will a chest that gives a new player a Materia also found in the 1st game give a replacement reward? A bunch of chests just containing gil or potions while a new player gets a new spell would suck

Or do you have shops sell Materia from the 1st game, but that would suck for a new player when you just buy a lot of stuff instead of finding it

For levels you could probably have max level 30 for the first game or something.

For the 2nd game players who carry over data will continue leveling from 30 to maybe 60 while a new player starts at lvl 1 with lvl 30 stats and levels to lvl 30 with lvl 60 stats

So stats will be the same but displayed differently

Oct 27, 2017

signal

Oct 28, 2017
So how will they do things for game 2. There has to be a way to carry over data as if you normally continued your playthrough but how will things work.

What will they do with Materia? Sure most people playing the game will have played the first one but you can't design the game without people just picking up the 2nd game in mind.

Do you give people who don't carry over data all Materia found in the first game?

Or do you have the player find all those Materia again. But what about people who carry over data? Will a chest that gives a new player a Materia also found in the 1st game give a replacement reward? A bunch of chests just containing gil or potions while a new player gets a new spell would suck

Or do you have shops sell Materia from the 1st game, but that would suck for a new player when you just buy a lot of stuff instead of finding it

For levels you could probably have max level 30 for the first game or something.

For the 2nd game players who carry over data will continue leveling from 30 to maybe 60 while a new player starts at lvl 1 with lvl 30 stats and levels to lvl 30 with lvl 60 stats

Purposely don't cater to the six people who would buy FF7 remake part 2 and not part 1 imo

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

Sequels, they're making sequels to a video game. People are very familiar with this premise. progress doesnt carry over in sequels, this isnt a tell tale game.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
so now that we know, the first game is playing solely in Midgar, what are your wishes in terms of additional content? what would make sense? If its intended to be a 20-30 hour RPG Game, there is room for a lot

For me:

Driving around with the bike. outside of missions aka Days Gone
good written Side Quests (not hopeful on this one tough)
new Mini Games (races with the bike, a card game, illegal underground tournaments)

Millions of side quests taking me to all corners of Midgar.

I still think DLC expansions would work better. That way you can just carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.