• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I was thinking about Lightning Returns and how technically that game takes place in one big setting (Nova Chrysalia). I think Part I being only Midgar will play something like that. I dunno :/

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
so now that we know, the first game is playing solely in Midgar, what are your wishes in terms of additional content? what would make sense? If its intended to be a 20-30 hour RPG Game, there is room for a lot

For me:

Driving around with the bike. outside of missions aka Days Gone
good written Side Quests (not hopeful on this one tough)
new Mini Games (races with the bike, a card game, illegal underground tournaments)
I'd like to be able to explore every sector of the city by train.

Given that this Midgar centric game looks like it's effectively going to promote Jessie/Biggs/Wedge to almost-main characters (albeit likely not full party members like Cloud/Barret/Tifa/Aerith), I'd love to be able to e.g. visit their home neighborhoods and get more backstory on them. Lots more backstory on the Turks and on the assorted Shinra Corporation executives would be great.

Minigames, absolutely (I could see the Wall Market/Honey Bee Inn area of Sector 6 kinda turning into the main minigame area).

I hope Red XIII is in the game and that there's somehow a period of being able to explore Midgar with him as a party member before being forced to escape the city.

Also, since this is effectively going to be a standalone entry, some sort of optional superboss(es) absolutely need to happen.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Can't wait to hear the remake's rendition of the submarine. Just the thought of leaving the crashed ship and coming face to face w/ Emerald upon exit gets me super anxious.

aIvJq2x.jpg

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The problem is, world design has been a serious weakness of Square's and Nomura's for the past two generations. They can't recycle any world assets for post-Midgar, so they're basically making an entirely new game and sticking the characters from this one into it.

Modern Square is terrible at building worlds, so that's going to take them a really long time and a ton of it will wind up missing.

I feel modern square is terrible at world building mainly due to poor creative direction and because they clearly don't priotize this aspect during development.

Its not really due to technical shortcomings or time limitations. They just don't really take this aspect seriously.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to be able to explore every sector of the city by train.

Given that this Midgar centric game looks like it's effectively going to promote Jessie/Biggs/Wedge to almost-main characters (albeit likely not full party members like Cloud/Barret/Tifa/Aerith), I'd love to be able to e.g. visit their home neighborhoods and get more backstory on them. Lots more backstory on the Turks and on the assorted Shinra Corporation executives would be great.

Minigames, absolutely (I could see the Wall Market/Honey Bee Inn area of Sector 6 kinda turning into the main minigame area).

I hope Red XIII is in the game and that there's somehow a period of being able to explore Midgar with him as a party member before being forced to escape the city.

that sounds great and makes sense. Jesse, Wiggs and Wedge offer a lot of potential when it comes to additional story content.

i can't wait to see how RED XIII plays in this game - Him, Tifa and Vincent are my most anticipated ones when it comes to Gameplay

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think they should update and add new things over each release haha. I don't think it'll be absolutely perfect either.
Trust in Mitsunori Takahashi.
I just don't want them to end up in some sort of analysis paralysis or whatever funk they were in between '15 and '17. They need to work smarter not harder, not just changes for changes sake. It really should just be scenario and world building taking up most of the time. The battle staff should be moved over to make mini games for Gold Saucer lol.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
You know, I was thinking about Lightning Returns and how technically that game takes place in one big setting (Nova Chrysalia). I think Part I being only Midgar will play something like that. I dunno :/

Well Midgar is part of one big world that they'll keep exploring in the sequels so.... yeah. Am I missing something? What are you concerned about here? Lol

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there a screenshot album posted somewhere, anyone have it?

Also there was some remake to original environment comparison post

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

Lightning Returns is very different though. Its a super open game and the structure doesn't fit the kind of story that FF7R is trying to tell.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
Well Midgar is part of one big world that they'll keep exploring in the sequels so.... yeah. Am I missing something? What are you concerned about here? Lol
I'm not really concerned about anything lol. I was just making a comparison how you can make a final fantasy game that takes place in one big location that doesn't feel like padding if that makes any sense.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
BTW, silly nitpick incoming:

I think they've kinda done Hardedge dirty :/ It just looks way too big now:
image_final_fantasy_vii_remake-40499-3287_0002.jpg

For comparison (I think it was around this size in-game too):
latest

Could this be to accomodate to the Buster Sword's reach? They probably don't want to account for different sizes for the characters (I think KH3 has shorter keyblades, but I can't remember for sure now).
How many years until we get to play as Vincent and Yuffie (._. )
Who cares about those two, gimme Cid now.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Because we're starting to speculate part 2... How do they handle the over world? DQXI like areas, or an actual over world you can walk on like in the original. in another thread i was thinking that they could maybe go for a diorama look for the over world so it would look realistic but as if the towns and characters were miniatures. would allow for the different vehicles and then when you get near towns or explorable locations it would then take you to those individual areas. same for like random encounters.

thoughts?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Me and anyone with good taste.
maxresdefault.jpg

For real though, I'm very interested in seeing Yuffie and Vincent too. That'd be two long-range characters beyond Barret, and it seems this game really values positioning and reach.

Vincent's transformations have some nice potential too. Hopefully, they look like in the original and not like in DoC. That'd be atrocious.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
BTW, silly nitpick incoming:

I think they've kinda done Hardedge dirty :/ It just looks way too big now:
image_final_fantasy_vii_remake-40499-3287_0002.jpg

For comparison (I think it was around this size in-game too):
latest

Could this be to accomodate to the Buster Sword's reach? They probably don't want to account for different sizes for the characters (I think KH3 has shorter keyblades, but I can't remember for sure now).

Who cares about those two, gimme Cid now.

I assume all the swords will be the same size now of animation purposes? Idk

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For real though, I'm very interested in seeing Yuffie and Vincent too. That'd be two long-range characters beyond Barret, and it seems this game really values positioning and reach.

Vincent's transformations have some nice potential too. Hopefully, they look like in the original and not like in DoC. That'd be atrocious.
I want my agile and cool Vincent from AC

I believe Cid is talking to his wife.
Party answer above was right. And he's not married to Shera!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, check. It has been ages, I mostly remembered that he was an ass towards Shera, hehe
Yeah minor point I think most remember her as his wife or something from their interactions. And he's an ass to everyone! His best moment is punching Cloud to stop him from abusing Aerith.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
The official Remake Twitter is teasing a Kitase interview for next week, and provides some bit of info

Most importantly is sounds like the PR team has wrangled him away from the vague and concerning comments he gave regarding Part 2, offering us a clearer and more encouraging answer.
Yoshinori Kitase said:
Due to the work already done on the first game we anticipate development of the second game to be more efficient. We have our own internal schedule and plan, but for now we'd like to focus our information on the first game in the project.
So as thought, they do have a rough plan and the work on Part 2 will be more efficient due to the already established workflow.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The official Remake Twitter is teasing a Kitase interview for next week, and provides some bit of info

Most importantly is sounds like the PR team has wrangled him away from the vague and concerning comments he gave regarding Part 2, offering us a clearer and more encouraging answer.

So as thought, they do have a rough plan and the work on Part 2 will be more efficient due to the already established workflow.

Cool. I guess it could be a lot less work. They could sort of 'linearize' the Overworld into an FFXII style thing as some have suggested, and then just build the towns and such.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Cool. I guess it could be a lot less work. They could sort of 'linearize' the Overworld into an FFXII style thing as some have suggested, and then just build the towns and such.

Even FF10 segments would work. It would be less freedom, but it could still result into some interesting hubs and secrets. Highwind will would probably be just a fast travel solution.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The highwind could be like the Whale in DQ11

fly all over the world but only land in specific locations

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Well that sounds much better good to hear. So I guess 2022 is a possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.