• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Even FF10 segments would work. It would be less freedom, but it could still result into some interesting hubs and secrets. Highwind will would probably be just a fast travel solution.
I think they're pretty similar. XII seemed like the logical expansion of the FFX ideas. A bit more open and some additional paths but still linear enough.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
The official Remake Twitter is teasing a Kitase interview for next week, and provides some bit of info

Most importantly is sounds like the PR team has wrangled him away from the vague and concerning comments he gave regarding Part 2, offering us a clearer and more encouraging answer.

So as thought, they do have a rough plan and the work on Part 2 will be more efficient due to the already established workflow.

I think it's because journalists asked him if development would be faster and the natural assumption for him is 2 years and maybe less, which efficient doesn't really mean that lol

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
Just give the Highwind a warpdrive, though I demand to be able to explore it still
It's very important in proving the OTP is canon afterall

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Random thought but I'm very relieved they didn't map the lock-on to R1.

R3 for lock-on and R1 to block sounds ideal for what this game's going for.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I can't wait for people to upload to Youtube their own recreations of the new songs without dialogue and all.

I remember listening to XV's recreations from TGS 2014.
I'll take slow walking and dodging with an extended one arm shooting stance. So stylish...
That's cool too.

God it just hit me that he's going to be so much fleshed out here, seeing as everything is getting an expansion and he's most definitely not going to be optional in the Remake.
Random thought but I'm very relieved they didn't map the lock-on to R1.

R3 for lock-on and R1 to block sounds ideal for what this game's going for.
iirc in Easy Allies they talked about sprinting, so I wonder which button that is if R3 is for locking enemies on. Maybe you just get to sprint if you run enough time.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I swear people just don't apply common sense enough when it comes to FF.

Square bungles more often then I'd like, but I think we can give SOME benefit of the doubt that they have some idea on how they're developing their enormous multi-part billion-plus dollar Remake series beyond "Iunno, let's just wing it".

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that this remake keeps the dieselpunk aesthetic. The two bosses we saw make it look like they are keeping the older designs. I was worried that they were going to try and make things look more sleek and futuristic, but I think the big-engine clunky design of the machinery is important to the environmental story they're telling.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that this remake keeps the dieselpunk aesthetic. The two bosses we saw make it look like they are keeping the older designs. I was worried that they were going to try and make things look more sleek and futuristic, but I think the big-engine clunky design of the machinery is important to the environmental story they're telling.
Change nothing. In fact, keep some enemies with no textures.

0XKldYE.png

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't change Aeriths personality, the trailers have made her look meek when she was anything but in the original game.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't change Aeriths personality, the trailers have made her look meek when she was anything but in the original game.

Brought this up in Discord, but check out her expression when Cloud tells her to "get going".

She doesn't look scared, but determined. This leads me to believe this is the part where Cloud and Tifa send her off to pick up Marlene. She isn't being sent away because she can't fight. In fact, she has her staff out looking ready to fight her way to 7th Heaven.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Brought this up in Discord, but check out her expression when Cloud tells her to "get going".

She doesn't look scared, but determined. This leads me to believe this is the part where Cloud and Tifa send her off to pick up Marlene. She isn't being sent away because she can't fight. In fact, she has her staff out looking ready to fight her way to 7th Heaven.

This something that the REmako mod (I think that's the name) did. You got to the support and switch to Aerith who runs back to her house with Marlene.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

There's a part in the train graveyard and she's in there (it's when the trailer shows one of her special attacks), so I don't think Cloud would send her so early to get Marlene.

Or maybe he did (for whatever reason he wants to assure her safety before discovering AVALANCHE fighting Shinra and putting the slums at risk) and it's just that Cloud and Tifa eventually catch her up.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a part in the train graveyard and she's in there (it's when the trailer shows one of her special attacks), so I don't think Cloud would send her so early to get Marlene.

Or maybe he did (for whatever reason he wants to assure her safety before discovering AVALANCHE fighting Shinra and putting the slums at risk) and it's just that Cloud and Tifa eventually catch her up.

I've considered the possibility a bit back that certain sequences/areas could play out of order.

The train graveyard could take place before the sewers, for instance. Unlikely, but I still expect some moments that get shifted around for pacing reasons.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
The official Remake Twitter is teasing a Kitase interview for next week, and provides some bit of info

Most importantly is sounds like the PR team has wrangled him away from the vague and concerning comments he gave regarding Part 2, offering us a clearer and more encouraging answer.

So as thought, they do have a rough plan and the work on Part 2 will be more efficient due to the already established workflow.

PR must have been freakin out on his comments.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I've considered the possibility a bit back that certain sequences/areas could play out of order.

The train graveyard could take place before the sewers, for instance. Unlikely, but I still expect some moments that get shifted around for pacing reasons.
Oh, for sure. I also wonder about that, although I feel that that particular "sewers-->graveyard" order is going to be respected.

BTW, it seems (according to those who played the demo) that the layout for the first reactor is almost identical to the original game, but with new transitional places connecting the "old" areas (iirc the original did skip many of those "in-between" places). I wonder if that's going to be as frequent as they can make it, although we're bound to find exceptions. Like the sewers; they look massive now so that probably doesn't apply there that much.

I'm really curious about the transitions between inhabitable places tbat are relatively safe (slum villages and the like) and hellish landscapes with weird creatures roaming free (the graveyard, the abandoned park...).

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So I've been watching Strange Rebel Gaming videos and... Briana has a very friendly voice (but has enough sass to make it entertaining). Really looking forward to her portrayal of Aerith. I hope S-E's English VA director lets her have fun with it.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Something I really like about the battle system in this is that it really feels like it could be just as easily ported over to remaking FF8/9 or Parasite Eve. Reeeeeally great, flexible, modern-but-old-school interpretation of the old ATB system.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Just as the old atb was basically reused again in again with older FFs, I too see that being very possible for this with future projects.

This really satisfies seemingly most old atb fans while appealing to action oriented players, and it seems great. No reason to reiinvent the wheel anytime soon imo. This could definitley help get out FF games at a more regular pace.

Wrynnax

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they go full creepy and horror at the end of the shinra headquarters. I still remember playing that part and being creeped out by the trail of blood... and that music! Same for the train graveyard.
And another random thought: what if they incorporate the entire Kalm scene in part 1? Because for the rest of the game there's nothing to do in Kalm, you only go back there to hand over the desert rose. So I could easily see them replacing Kalm with a new sector in Midgar.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Guys what is happening, i literally cannot stop thinking about this since Monday.
Before i was 10/10 excited of course, but also kinda worried.
Now my brain remembers moments from the game like "Oh man i wonder how climbing the Wall will look like" and then goes "OHMYGODHOLYFUCKINGSHITTHEFUCKINGWALLDUUUUUUUUUDE".

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I was at first going to come in like "Anyone find it weird that items are tied to ATB...", but then I thought about it for 2 more seconds and was like.... That's lowkey genius.

I think this gives a bit more of a fair challenge that you have to wait for an ATB bar to be filled before using an item to prevent you from just spamming a bunch as soon as possible. And I guess that's sort of how it is in OG FFVII too. You can't do anything with a character until the atb bar is filled after all.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More about the how than the what.

I remember when the baddies stormed her church. She asked for help there, but she had a kind of strength and sense of humor about it. At least as far as I remember.

It does beg the question how they'll balance Aerith being capable vs requiring constant protection.

Like if she can whip out huge spells like we saw in the trailer footage, why would she need Cloud doing a Donkey Kong impression to rescue her from Shinra mooks?

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017

Oh there's a FFVII ERA Discord server? I'd be interested in joining.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I was at first going to come in like "Anyone find it weird that items are tied to ATB...", but then I thought about it for 2 more seconds and was like.... That's lowkey genius.

I think this gives a bit more of a fair challenge that you have to wait for an ATB bar to be filled before using an item to prevent you from just spamming a bunch as soon as possible. And I guess that's sort of how it is in OG FFVII too. You can't do anything with a character until the atb bar is filled after all.
yeah it's basically turn based but instead of waiting around you can do chip damage, evade/block attacks and move around. really like what they are doing. no spamming potions or ethers, no hacking and slashing your way to victory.
It does beg the question how they'll balance Aerith being capable vs requiring constant protection.

Like if she can whip out huge spells like we saw in the trailer footage, why would she need Cloud doing a Donkey Kong impression to rescue her from Shinra mooks?
that was her limit.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I hope they go full creepy and horror at the end of the shinra headquarters. I still remember playing that part and being creeped out by the trail of blood... and that music! Same for the train graveyard.
And another random thought: what if they incorporate the entire Kalm scene in part 1? Because for the rest of the game there's nothing to do in Kalm, you only go back there to hand over the desert rose. So I could easily see them replacing Kalm with a new sector in Midgar.

It has been confirmed by the guy who was on stage ( totally forgot his name, the translator ) the first part of this remake will end with the escape from Midgar.

Status
Not open for further replies.