• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to ask, but I am trying to mod FF7 on Steam, and can't find the Anxious Hearts music mod anywhere. When I try to find it, it says it is part of The Reunion mod now? But I installed The Reunion R05 and...it ain't there. This is frustrating how much I can't find with google. Anyone here have any experience with this that can offer guidance, please?

Never mind. I guess the creator pulled Anxious Hearts in prep for The Reunion R06, but he pulled it a full year or so before the release, and R06 still isn't out. And no tentative release date. So..that sucks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the open world world with vehicles could work in ps5 but i really doubt square has the men power to do that

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i think the open world world with vehicles could work in ps5 but i really doubt square has the men power to do that

Yeah. I think it is safe and fair to say that replicating the entire FFVII world in the same way that Square attempted to make FFXV's world is unrealistic and should not be an expectation anyone levies on them. The manpower and budget they'd need to do so would be astronomical and not economically viable.

It also wouldn't be a fun world to explore. Having an entire planet replicated at full playable scale is absurd, it would take even longer to get anywhere than it already did with Car Autopilot in FFXV.

This is why I think Square needs to find a new way to implement the classic FF overworld. Rethink the idea, redesign it, but preserve the essence of traversing an entire world with vehicles and Chocobos, with optional towns to find and secret areas to discover if the player looks hard enough.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Will this animation be in or not

g3B3vpa.gif

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Most of Midgar just really isn't that narratively interesting and outside of Wall Market's weirdness, none of it is interesting to explore. That's the biggest problem with Part 1 being limited to Midgar, they've dragged the part of the game I always rush to get out of as quickly as possible out to an insane degree.

You don't think they can make something interesting with all the current tech at their disposal?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think they can make something interesting with all the current tech at their disposal?

I don't think Midgar is interesting, no. Dark streets, gross sewers and rusty metal corridors for 40+ hours is not what I want out of an RPG. There needs to be more environmental diversity than Midgar is designed to be capable of delivering to make a full-length RPG not become a bland chore.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
My question is, how big does realized ffvii overworld actually have to be? I feel it can be done if you keep the towns/dungeons themselves as seperate instances.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably right. I'm guessing part 2 and 3 (if 3 is the last part) will both have a good balance of story and world to explore.
I think it's indeed tricky to balance the story and introducing new locations, like a jigsaw.

My guess on the pacing of the story.

Part 1
Final Boss: Redesigned Motor Ball with Rufus piloting it.

Part 2
Final Boss: Jenova Birth
Ending: Lovely view on the horizon with Gold Saucer in background. :)

Part 3
Final Boss: The Lost Number in Shinra Mansion (Who I think was a failed Sephiroth Clone)
Ending: Vincent joins, Cloud and Tifa remiscense over their family in this home town.

Part 4

A more lighthearted chapter with Rocket Town, and now a more important reason to go to Wutai which is now like a city and has small villages.

Final Boss: The Champion of The Battle Arena (who may be the turks)
Ending: After winning the kinstone, Cloud goes on his date, fireworks and activities.

Part 5
Final Boss: Jenova Death
Ending: Meteor cliffhanger

Next Final Part of story, loads of backtracking, loads more cutscenes.

Part 7 DLC Storylines

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Midgar is interesting, no. Dark streets, gross sewers and rusty metal corridors for 40+ hours is not what I want out of an RPG. There needs to be more environmental diversity than Midgar is designed to be capable of delivering to make a full-length RPG not become a bland chore.
Kitase said:
While many people may think that Midgar is very dark at first glance, we have a design aesthetic where the city has strong elements of colour and variety. The lighting and colouring we are using throughout Midgar accentuate what is unique about FINAL FANTASY VII's world. We decided not to use a photo-realistic approach with the design, but instead something more stylised, honouring the artistic designs and choices of the original.

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. My brother is happy that they get to flesh out Midgar more, but I'm left feeling like fleshing out Midgar is just dragging ass on getting to the parts of the game I actually want to see and replay.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think it is safe and fair to say that replicating the entire FFVII world in the same way that Square attempted to make FFXV's world is unrealistic and should not be an expectation anyone levies on them. The manpower and budget they'd need to do so would be astronomical and not economically viable.

It also wouldn't be a fun world to explore. Having an entire planet replicated at full playable scale is absurd, it would take even longer to get anywhere than it already did with Car Autopilot in FFXV.

This is why I think Square needs to find a new way to implement the classic FF overworld. Rethink the idea, redesign it, but preserve the essence of traversing an entire world with vehicles and Chocobos, with optional towns to find and secret areas to discover if the player looks hard enough.
I agree with this. For so many reasons, I think a massive open world is the wrong choice for this game, even if one imagines that it's a feasible solution in the first place.

I don't know what the "correct" solution is, though. I'd personally be okay with the same level of abstraction the original overworld had, but I suppose we've collectively decided as an industry that that's not the way to do things in a AAA Ultra High Definition Video Game™.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, okay. But still gotta survive that final attack. Ha.
If you're level 12 with the setup in the description you will 100% survive it if you have full HP. Was pretty cool to see you could get it so early.

My question is, how big does realized ffvii overworld actually have to be? I feel it can be done if you keep the towns/dungeons themselves as seperate instances.
Big enough to let us fly into Ultimate, that's it.

Part 2
Final Boss: Jenova Birth
Ending: Lovely view on the horizon with Gold Saucer in background. :)

Part 3
Final Boss: The Lost Number in Shinra Mansion (Who I think was a failed Sephiroth Clone)
Ending: Vincent joins, Cloud and Tifa remiscense over their family in this home town.
I think you have too many parts in general but Part 3 seems a bit unbalanced here compared to the minor stuff in 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I don't believe him. They haven't shown a thing that hints at any of this supposed variety.

This isn't a 1:1 remake. Chances are, Midgar will be interesting to explore in this remake.

The problem is, a lot of the best parts of VII come after Midgar. Nibelheim is after Midgar. The Battle Arena is after Midgar. Chocobo breeding and racing is after Midgar. Pretty much all the side content is after Midgar. I don't want to spend 40 hours doing a bunch of busywork for random chumps when I would rather be dicking around in the Gold Saucer or exploring the world at large, you know?

It also doesn't help that the sectors all look the same.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
This isn't a 1:1 remake. Chances are, Midgar will be interesting to explore in this remake.

Yeah, I mean, what, there's like four field screens TOTAL of Midgar that aren't set in the slums or in a Shinra facility in the original? So it's hard to say definitively that it's all dank and homogeneous. There's a huge dieselpunk megapolis to explore including gated communities of the plate's managerial classes and Edward Hopper-esque architecture around the entertainment districts. Loads of potential variety!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If you're level 12 with the setup in the description you will 100% survive it if you have full HP. Was pretty cool to see you could get it so early.

Big enough to let us fly into Ultimate, that's it.

I think you have too many parts in general but Part 3 seems a bit unbalanced here compared to the minor stuff in 2.
Part 2 Main areas: Junon Area, Kalm, Nibeleim flashback, fort Condor, Chocobo Ranch, and presumely they're multiple times bigger than orignals.

Part 3 Main Areas: Costa Del Sol, Corel, prison town, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Gongaga

Sounds about balanced to me.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Cut Motor Ball, Cloud taking on Rufus and Dark Nation at the same time Barret, Aerith, and Red XIII are fighting Heli Gunner in the elevator is a perfect "final boss". It could swap back and forth between the two fights in different phases, rather than one right after the other like the original.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Planet Smasher I don't think you are going to like this game no matter what happens.

The deck is very stacked against it, that's for damn sure.

Like, have we even talked about how much of a mess late-game combat is gonna be? How are you supposed to build up a big arsenal of abilities and spells and have access to them without getting your ass flattened mid-combat? Or are they just gonna make it so you only get to have one or two materia equipped at a time for the entire game?

Cut Motor Ball, Cloud taking on Rufus and Dark Nation at the same time Barret, Aerith, and Red XIII are fighting Heli Gunner in the elevator is a perfect "final boss". It could swap back and forth between the two fights in different phases, rather than one right after the other like the original.

I really don't see Rufus making a good final boss at all. It's the first time you meet the guy. It'd be like having the final boss of Kingdom Hearts 1 be the optional Hollow Bastion fight against Xemnas.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno; I'm certainly willing to see what they can do given the glimpses we saw and the tech now available to fully realize it.

I do think you're underselling it, but to be fair, we haven't seen anything really. So who knows!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno; I'm certainly willing to see what they can do given the glimpses we saw and the tech now available to fully realize it.

I do think you're underselling it, but to be fair, we haven't seen anything really. So who knows!

If they pull it out, i'll give credit where credit is due. But years and years of lies and empty promises about FF Versus XIII broke me and I no longer possess the ability to have any faith in Square Enix.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, a lot of the best parts of VII come after Midgar. Nibelheim is after Midgar. The Battle Arena is after Midgar. Chocobo breeding and racing is after Midgar. Pretty much all the side content is after Midgar. I don't want to spend 40 hours doing a bunch of busywork for random chumps when I would rather be dicking around in the Gold Saucer or exploring the world at large, you know?

It also doesn't help that the sectors all look the same.
Again, this isn't a 1:1 remake. You can't claim all the sectors look the same; we don't know that. For all we know, every sector will look and feel different. Maybe one of the plate sectors will house a giant Central-Park-like natural reserve. And as you have mentioned, Square has barely shown anything of Midgar, so you shouldn't, in the same breath, say that every sector looks the same. Also, the narrative will be expanded and elaborated enough that the game won't consist of 40 hours of busywork for chumps.

All of the things you are saying are assumptions based on the original, limited-in-scale Midgar.

edit: I get not trusting Square after XIII and XV, but keep in mind that a different team is making this, and unlike what happened with the previous two games, Unreal Engine 4 isn't going to compromise the workflow of the project, and there isn't a failed MMO that's around to cause Square to keep poaching away Nomura's employees in order to salvage it.

Last edited:

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017

Like, have we even talked about how much of a mess late-game combat is gonna be? How are you supposed to build up a big arsenal of abilities and spells and have access to them without getting your ass flattened mid-combat? Or are they just gonna make it so you only get to have one or two materia equipped at a time for the entire game?

And that is why they added tactical mode no? To be able to pause and get into the menus and pick and choose what you wanna do.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't make any sense tbh. Have you watched the gameplay video from e3?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody here suggested moving Jenova BIRTH to the end of Shinra Tower to be the final boss and I immediately fell in love with the idea.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense tbh. Have you watched the gameplay video from e3?

I saw Cloud picking one or two things from a menu in Tactical Mode. That in no way makes me think things like Enemy Skill materia or having a bunch of magic materia with 5 spells each equipped will be intuitive or fun.

It makes sense for the early game, but I don't feel like it's going to scale up well.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they stuck to this approach for the entire project:
About open world, We can't say anything yet, but we don't plan on fussing about whether it's a so-called open-world or sandbox. But since Nomura is more focused on the creation of the scenery, we want to express an environment character actions affect the scenery.
Doesn't matter if it's linear or open, just make sure it works and is good.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody here had the idea of moving Jenova BIRTH to the end of Shinra Tower to be the final boss and I immediately fell in love with the idea.
Ya, the 3 thoughts in my head for how they can end it are what I said about Rufus and Heli Gunner, a JENOVA fight, or a completely made up and out-of-place fight with Sephiroth (which would be terrible and I hope they don't do this).

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Cloud picking one or two things from a menu in Tactical Mode. That in no way makes me think things like Enemy Skill materia or having a bunch of magic materia with 5 spells each equipped will be intuitive or fun.

It makes sense for the early game, but I don't feel like it's going to scale up well.

It does makes sense though. Selecting something from tactical mode works exactly like the OG game. Besides we will have 12 shortcuts for actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.