• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
I think the whole "not significantly faster" thing is just Kitase pointing out it's another full game. Just because a lot of the stuff will carry over from part one doesn't mean they'll pop it out in 18 months, I think the guess of 3 years for part 2 seems fair. I bet the fastest game to come out will be the last one, because a lot of the world assets would be done by then.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think the whole "not significantly faster" thing is just Kitase pointing out it's another full game. Just because a lot of the stuff will carry over from part one doesn't mean they'll pop it out in 18 months, I think the guess of 3 years for part 2 seems fair.

Probably, although my hope is that the part of the team responsible for content creation (along with new hires) begin producing the second part while the first is being polished and optimised. It would be cool if the game really did take 3 years, but starting earlier than we expect.

I bet the fastest game to come out will be the last one, because a lot of the world assets would be done by then.

If the penultimate game ends with the release of the Weapons, then at that point they really will have created the whole world, so you might be right. Though they might decide to take advantage of that and do another load of expansion for the sidequest-laden endgame.

And I bet the Weapons are going to be a big part of the final marketing campaign.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Who said there were 3 parts?
-->
I think the whole "not significantly faster" thing is just Kitase pointing out it's another full game. Just because a lot of the stuff will carry over from part one doesn't mean they'll pop it out in 18 months, I think the guess of 3 years for part 2 seems fair. I bet the fastest game to come out will be the last one, because a lot of the world assets would be done by then.
Unless "the last one" implied there would be multiple other parts between part 2 and the final one.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Well, we don't really have a detailed overview off their workflow and how they planned each scene and background rendering back there, but I would assume that they must have moved some scenarios or created new ones even after they had already rendered the backgrounds. That´s why you have places with a lot of detail (but nothing going on, no real NPCs, no chests, anything) and other places such as Aerith´s house where the house configuration doesn't match the scene.

Also. RE-bathroom syndrome (where are the bathrooms?)

Both RE remakes were fantastic to fix that syndrome, I'm hoping Square follows through as well :)

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
Only thing wrong with the ending is the sort of ambiguiity about what holy is and what it is doing against meteor vs. what the lifestream ends up doing.

I didn't find any ambiguity there. Holy was a force meant to protect the planet, so it "had the opposite effect" and was attempting to wipe out all of humanity for the sake of the planet. Aeris' conciousness within the lifestream, through her connection with the planet as the last of it's indigenous people, used her influence to give people another chance. The time skip showed Midgar overgrown and abandoned. That can mean two things: either the people were able to learn a new way of life that didn't rely on destroying the planet in the process or they all died out. It was the perfect ending.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Well, in one of the interviews they did mention how every character would be stronger against specific enemies, so I could see that happening. I just hope it doesn't devolve into something like FF10's battle system where there is only one or two enemy types for each of the characters. That made it the most overly simplified and tedious combat system of the entire series for me. I remember reading in an old issue of EGM where one of the reviewers compared it to a game of chess. Lol no.

There need to be more variables that determine damage rather than matching speed attacks vs. agile enemies or strong characters vs. armored enemies, etc. Final Fantasy 10 is the least replayable entry in the series for that reason.

Yeah party member swapping should be to make combat more fun and dynamic this would also allow you to maybe really specialize characters with materia who you can bring in when you want.

And I agree if character swapping was a thing because "I am fighting this enemy so I absolutely need to switch to this character" it would become tedious.

Like you have Barret vs flying enemies. Don't make it so using Fire or other projectile magic instead with another character is really ineffective. Let me cast Gravity on a flying enemy and pull it to the ground.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't find any ambiguity there. Holy was a force meant to protect the planet, so it "had the opposite effect" and was attempting to wipe out all of humanity for the sake of the planet. Aeris' conciousness within the lifestream, through her connection with the planet as the last of it's indigenous people, used her influence to give people another chance. The time skip showed Midgar overgrown and abandoned. That can mean two things: either the people were able to learn a new way of life that didn't rely on destroying the planet in the process or they all died out. It was the perfect ending.
There's nothing about the blue stream thing that is meant to be holy that erupts from the north crater being meant to wipe out all of humanity, as Midgar citizens (Marlene at least) are shown to be alive despite holy engulfing the entire city. And even the ff wikia has some junk about meteor's gravity unfocusing holy which I don't think most people are understanding during that cinematic. It's ambiguous enough.

Also imo it's also borderline illogical to have holy and the lifestream function as different things as planet protection mechanics. The lifestream can be its own thing but when you show holy as nothing more than a similar-ish bright stream of energy or whatever, might as well have just given the role over to the lifestream.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think they can do just 1 more part but I also think they cant do just the eastern continent in the next one either unless they really really expand upon it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Or 1, and they're pulling our legs masterfully :p

I'd lose my mind but I don't think they could possibly get away with it

It would be one of the greatest twists in the industry if they were just lying about how much was in the game and people got through Midgar and then the game just kept going

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, although my hope is that the part of the team responsible for content creation (along with new hires) begin producing the second part while the first is being polished and optimised. It would be cool if the game really did take 3 years, but starting earlier than we expect.

If the penultimate game ends with the release of the Weapons, then at that point they really will have created the whole world, so you might be right. Though they might decide to take advantage of that and do another load of expansion for the sidequest-laden endgame.

And I bet the Weapons are going to be a big part of the final marketing campaign.
Yeah, I think things might line up well for the Weapons. A lot less environmental assets to create (in theory) means they might really go all out with those fights.
-->

Unless "the last one" implied there would be multiple other parts between part 2 and the final one.
I mean, I didn't even say three parts--only 2 parts total just seems impossible to me, but beyond that I have no idea so I just tried to be as vague as possible.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I didn't even say three parts--only 2 parts total just seems impossible to me, but beyond that I have no idea so I just tried to be as vague as possible.
I mean, I know, but saying part 2 followed by "last part" with no mention of the dev time of other unmentioned parts implies 3. It's not some personal attack, most people think, probably accurately, it will be 3.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I know, but saying part 2 followed by "last part" with no mention of the dev time of other unmentioned parts implies 3. It's not some personal attack, most people think, probably accurately, it will be 3.
Yeah, I wanted to respond with a joke but everything I thought up just made me sound like an asshole, so that's what I went with haha.

It was kinda like trying to think of an dramatic death scene and coming up with Cait's sacrifice.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
There's nothing about the blue stream thing that is meant to be holy that erupts from the north crater being meant to wipe out all of humanity, as Midgar citizens (Marlene at least) are shown to be alive despite holy engulfing the entire city. And even the ff wikia has some junk about meteor's gravity unfocusing holy which I don't think most people are understanding during that cinematic. It's ambiguous enough.

Also imo it's also borderline illogical to have holy and the lifestream function as different things as planet protection mechanics. The lifestream can be its own thing but when you show holy as nothing more than a similar-ish bright stream of energy or whatever, might as well have just given the role over to the lifestream.
88-C105_185.jpg

This quote, from Barrett I believe, means to imply that holy wasn't working as intended and would've resulted in a world ending catastrophe. This is where Aeris, as the heiress of the Cetra, decides to overpower the lifestream, intervene and give humanity another chance. The only thing left open, in my mind, is whether or not people made the most of that and survived past the next few centuries into the flash forward with Nanaki.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This quote, from Barrett I believe, means to imply that holy wasn't working as intended and would've resulted in a world ending catastrophe. This is where Aeris, as the heiress of the Cetra, decides to overpower the lifestream, intervene and give humanity another chance. The only thing left open, in my mind, is whether or not people made the most of that and survived past the next few centuries into the flash forward with Nanaki.
I just dont think the holy / lifestream split and aerith having sudden power over the planet's use of the lifestream is that clear. So much of the plot is dedicated to her using holy and having to defeat sephiroth so holy can be used, that her portrait flash at the end of the game makes it seem more like holy was just the planet's ability to utilize the lifestream in a way to defend itself rather than a blue stream of whatever that fails within moments of it being used. Could be wrong as I'm just assuming what the audience thinks but :cloudshrug:

Yeah, I wanted to respond with a joke but everything I thought up just made me sound like an asshole, so that's what I went with haha.
It was kinda like trying to think of an dramatic death scene and coming up with Cait's sacrifice.
I wonder if they'll try to make that scene "sad" again or just joke about it. It's not like you don't know he's just a puppet by that point in the game lol.

Saleal

May 24, 2019
i hope cait sith gets a drastic redesign and perhaps, a young Scottish accent and some sass to boot. they really need to endear us to the character before betraying us. and after the sacrifice, he is out of the party until the junon/weapon scene.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
I'm calling it now; Cait Sith is going to surprise people by being so likeable that they won't even know why they didn't like him in the first place.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
I just dont think the holy / lifestream split and aerith having sudden power over the planet's use of the lifestream is that clear. So much of the plot is dedicated to her using holy and having to defeat sephiroth so holy can be used, that her portrait flash at the end of the game makes it seem more like holy was just the planet's ability to utilize the lifestream in a way to defend itself rather than a blue stream of whatever that fails within moments of it being used. Could be wrong as I'm just assuming what the audience thinks but :cloudshrug:

Yeah, maybe that's just what I inferred. It's basically the power that Sephiroth was after the entire game, so I imagined that through death and Aeris' purity she was able to obtain it where he failed. "Chosen of the planet" and all. And if not, it doesn't really make sense that her face appears when the lifestream pours out of the planet and Marlene suddenly calls out her name.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, maybe that's just what I inferred. It's basically the power that Sephiroth was after the entire game, so I imagined that through death and Aeris' purity she was able to obtain it where he failed. "Chosen of the planet" and all. And if not, it doesn't really make sense that her face appears when the lifestream pours out of the planet and Marlene suddenly calls out her name.
I totally forgot about that weird jet that the Highwind turns into lol

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
here's some cool re-imagination of ff7 areas

wall market
wall_market_by_jordangrimmer_d6dn7zg-pre.jpg

sector 5 slums
sector_5_slums_by_jordangrimmer_d6caaie-pre.jpg

mideel
mideel_by_jordangrimmer_d6itzog-pre.jpg

source and more here: https://www.deviantart.com/jordangrimmer/gallery/44553094/Final-Fantasy-7-Re-Imagined
Only one that looks true to game is Mideel. Wall Market isn't shitty enough, as in it's supposed to look like shack clutters set up here and there, not Chinatown. If anything, it's more akin to a carnival/swap meet left to ROT in the darkness on a fairgrounds. Sector 5 Slums are supposed to be built within the scattered debris and crap on the ground, not favela-type structure in a large carved out pipe. Both locations (hell, most of the Slums) takes place on the dirt ground, very little paved streets and walkways (and if they are, the streets are FUCKED UP). These art pieces glam up the locations considerably, but these locations in the slums aren't supposed to be glamorous or cool architectural marvels. They are places people are FORCED to live in. Probably the most glamorous locations in the slums are the church and Aerith's house.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Only one that looks true to game is Mideel. Wall Market isn't shitty enough, as in it's supposed to look like shack clutters set up here and there, not Chinatown. If anything, it's more akin to a carnival/swap meet left to ROT in the darkness on a fairgrounds. Sector 5 Slums are supposed to be built within the scattered debris and crap on the ground, not favela-type structure in a large carved out pipe. Both locations (hell, most of the Slums) takes place on the dirt ground, very little paved streets and walkways (and if they are, the streets are FUCKED UP). These art pieces glam up the locations considerably, but these locations in the slums aren't supposed to be glamorous or cool architectural marvels. They are places people are FORCED to live in. Probably the most glamorous locations in the slums are the church and Aerith's house.

Personally I feel the slums should take inspiration from Kowloon Walled City. Just an overbuilt, claustrophobic mess.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I have never in my life thought about waiting until Disc 2 to get Yuffie, but I just learned she has different dialogue whether Tifa or Cid is leading the party when you fight her...

ySLHri5.png

I4AR4z5.png

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
That's gonna be interesting to consider in Part III or so, having portions where Cloud isn't the main PC.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope the game just lets you control any party member outside of combat. Wanting to focus on playing Barret or Tifa instead of Cloud in combat but needing to switch from Cloud at the start of every single fight would be dumb especially since Barret/Tifa/Aerith will have animations for out of combat anyway since I am pretty sure they follow Cloud around visible on screen and don't just appear in combat

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Replaying FFVII it's really apparent that there's a pretty clear three Act structure to the game. First you have Midgar, then chasing Sephiroth, then Meteorfall. I think it'd be very sensible for SE to split the remake up like that, with Game 2 ending at North Crater.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Replaying FFVII it's really apparent that there's a pretty clear three Act structure to the game. First you have Midgar, then chasing Sephiroth, then Meteorfall. I think it'd be very sensible for SE to split the remake up like that, with Game 2 ending at North Crater.

That works for the story, but the big problem is that part 2 would be a truly staggering amount of work. They'd have to make the whole world of the game apart from Midgar, without being able to split things up.

This is why I thought part 1 would cover the first continent.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
That works for the story, but the big problem is that part 2 would be a truly staggering amount of work. They'd have to make the whole world of the game apart from Midgar, without being able to split things up.

This is why I thought part 1 would cover the first continent.

I disagree, I feel like it makes more sense for the whole open world/interconnected zones element to be made all in one go.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I think most people already assume it's a 3 act story simply because it came on 3 discs, but it's more the way you said it. Act 3 really starts a few hours into Disc 2.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I disagree, I feel like it makes more sense for the whole open world/interconnected zones element to be made all in one go.
Exactly this, the world isn't so vastly different across FF7, plus at the climax of act 2 you still only have access to the tiny bronco and the buggy, there are a few areas that are still locked off to the user from even seeing until act 3... Also outside of Junon and the Gold Saucer, most areas aren't particularly large, or at least aren't supposed to be large.

Status
Not open for further replies.