• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I can see that too. But do you agree that it was Aeris controlling the lifestream at that point, or am I just reading too much into it in order to find meaning in her death?

I love the sort of visual storytelling that Square went for with the ending, though I know it was just a product of the time. It was basically a short silent film, with very abstract design but that's because voice acting wasn't very common at the time. It's almost like the Twin Peaks season 3, episode 8 version of Final Fantasy. The remake will go far more in depth, and there will be less left open to interpretation this time. I believe SquareEnix is still capable of moments of brilliance, but they ain't got Lynchballs.
I think aeris is directing the lifestream. I agree with that. Though why she didn't just do that earlier is up to you. :)

No I really think she summoned holy. Couldn't work because of sephiroth. He gets defeated and holy rushes to defend the planet. Isn't effective so aeris helps.

There is an ecoterrorist interpretation which is consistent with the themes of the game that holy was destroying midgar and not meteor since Midgar was also killing the planet but I don't believe this is consistent with the imagery of the ending though it is with the text. Or part of it. Red also implies meteor is going to destroy the entire planet so clearly the crisis is meteor, not midgar.

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Are these post-wiki reading answers
0pGGQQ2.png
What in the game indicates Holy can't work unless Meteor is at a certain distance

Holy sweeping through looks like it is clearly affecting Meteor but with Meteor already so low imo Holy just can't destroy Meteor quickly enough or focus itself under meteor so its just a thin layer being pushed aside. Aerith with the Lifestream pushes the Meteor back and stops it from crashing into the planet and Holy destroys it. That is how I see.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Are these post-wiki reading answers
0pGGQQ2.png
What in the game indicates Holy can't work unless Meteor is at a certain distance
There's nothing that indicates it can't work, but until we actually see it in action, no one really knows what Holy is even supposed to do. Or even what it is. Can you say you really understood what it was beyond, "Oh aeris went to go summon it"? I had no idea it'd be some blue wave of energy. So to me it's not really reading too much into things to see that it wasn't working until it got assistance from the lifestream. I do not think it had the "opposite effect" as Red XIII states...suggesting it is responsible for worsening the damage.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Holy sweeping through looks like it is clearly affecting Meteor but with Meteor already so low imo Holy just can't destroy Meteor quickly enough or focus itself under meteor so its just a thin layer being pushed aside. Aerith with the Lifestream pushes the Meteor back and stops it from crashing into the planet and Holy destroys it. That is how I see.
I dunno that seems oddly specific for fictional magic lol. It's the case in the end I guess, but applying weird constraints on Holy like meteor needs to be x distance away is not really any more logical than Meteor dissolving into nothingness the second it touches a layer of Holy no matter how thin.

I stand by thinking it's poorly shown / explained in the limited way it was explained in that cinematic.

There's nothing that indicates it can't work, but until we actually see it in action, no one really knows what Holy is even supposed to do. Or even what it is. Can you say you really understood what it was beyond, "Oh aeris went to go summon it"? I had no idea it'd be some blue wave of energy. So to me it's not really reading too much into things to see that it wasn't working until it got assistance from the lifestream. I do not think it had the "opposite effect" as Red XIII states...suggesting it is responsible for worsening the damage.
I agree with most of this. I mentioned earlier I thought the ending was pretty ambiguous, at least with regards to what Holy is / what it's doing, how it's different from the Lifestream, what the Lifestream is doing, what Aerith does / does not have control over, etc. We'll find out the true answers in the end of the remake saga in 203x [part 7]

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely ambiguous, that's for sure. It's been one of the most frustrating things I think about being teenage me beating it that I can remember...

edit: OH GOD I wasn't even a teenager.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I think the way WoFF did the overworld (or NI No Kuni 2) would work for FFVIIR as well, just a bit less cartoony.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
just don't show or tease FFXVI until its ready Square (1 Year before Release). Hope this time they finally learn
There's nothing here to learn they haven't already acknowledged. Most of their games are not announced until a more or less reasonable 6-18 months prior to release (some even just 3-5 months). They already learned this during the PS360 generation. They had their reasons for announcing some of the current gen games early, and even then all of these are different to games like FF Versus XIII being announced in 2006. FFXV, KHIII & FFVII were all games that had been in active development for some time by the time they were announced and would continue being priority projects that would be in active development throughout the years after their announcement vs. something like FFVsXIII & Agito/Type-0 that were hardly in production or more than a logo when they were announced and would be sidelined by other higher priority projects for many years after their announcement.

FFXV's (re-)reveal, KHIII & FFVII Remake were announced early to drive up interest in PS4 in Japan (of course worldwide too, but Japan specifically). It was SQEX's way of trying to do their part in not letting the Japanese home console gaming market dry up completely with the idea that people would take note of the approaching launch of PS4 (and XBone, lol). To give at least some of the ever-diminishing number of home console gamers in Japan a reason to have continued interest in owning a new batch of home consoles & their games on them (because even with the dropping numbers, getting some 1-1,5 million units sold in Japan is nothing to scoff at, even if they are further and further away from the top sales the franchises had during the PS1 & PS2 days or handheld sales monsters). You can, of course, disagree with what they are doing or question if it's doing the Japanese home console market any good, but the context & behind the scenes is a bit different with early SQEX announcements in 2006 vs. early SQEX announcements in 2013-2015.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I guess this would hardly be an original hope, but I hope they somehow take some of the classic minigames straight out of the original into whatever arcade machine they have at Golden Saucer.

You can have the Remake version of the bike chase (like a VR kinda thing) and the original VII minigame as some sort of retro machine!

Keep the fucking moogle minigame too.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if Part 2 of the Remake will also be announced early to drive up interest in PS5 in Japan.

🤔
Well, hard to imagine them announcing FFVIIR-2 at the PS5's (proper) reveal event, whenever that is, because I imagine it will be around end of 2019/early 2020, so the first part of the remake might not even be done. It's more likely they'll announce FFXVI than FFVIIR-2, if they announce anything at a PS5 reveal event. They might confirm the remake for next-gen console(s) fairly nonchalantly in some interview or small announcement and save a proper FFVIIR-2 reveal to a later date.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like many of you, I made a mad dash to the Square Enix Store on the day of the E3 showing to secure a pre-order for the ludicrously expensive First Class Edition. The problem is that, at the time, I had forgotten my Square Enix customer service ID and opted to check out as a guest.

I later remembered my login and made a SECOND pre-order. My issue now is that I can't find any way to cancel the order I made as a guest, or even look it up despite having two separate order numbers. I made both purchases with the same e-mail, so I don't know if the orders were "combined" into one, as only one entry is showing up in my Order history.

To compound matters, there doesn't seem to be a live chat or customer service number for Square's store, so I'd like some help here to make sure I'm not getting charged for two of these CEs.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Like many of you, I made a mad dash to the Square Enix Store on the day of the E3 showing to secure a pre-order for the ludicrously expensive First Class Edition. The problem is that, at the time, I had forgotten my Square Enix customer service ID and opted to check out as a guest.

I later remembered my login and made a SECOND pre-order. My issue now is that I can't find any way to cancel the order I made as a guest, or even look it up despite having two separate order numbers. I made both purchases with the same e-mail, so I don't know if the orders were "combined" into one, as only one entry is showing up in my Order history.

To compound matters, there doesn't seem to be a live chat or customer service number for Square's store, so I'd like some help here to make sure I'm not getting charged for two of these CEs.
your best bet is to fill out a request:

use the order number from your guest checkout. It's just another reason why I hate buying from the square store.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's solve this old mistery, since its a slow week, there's at least 2 avalanche members that smoke
images

There's 4 cigarret packs in the tabble, thats too much for 1, so at minimum 2 or more people smoke cigar in avalanche. Who is It?

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing here to learn they haven't already acknowledged. Most of their games are not announced until a more or less reasonable 6-18 months prior to release (some even just 3-5 months). They already learned this during the PS360 generation. They had their reasons for announcing some of the current gen games early, and even then all of these are different to games like FF Versus XIII being announced in 2006. FFXV, KHIII & FFVII were all games that had been in active development for some time by the time they were announced and would continue being priority projects that would be in active development throughout the years after their announcement vs. something like FFVsXIII & Agito/Type-0 that were hardly in production or more than a logo when they were announced and would be sidelined by other higher priority projects for many years after their announcement.

FFXV's (re-)reveal, KHIII & FFVII Remake were announced early to drive up interest in PS4 in Japan (of course worldwide too, but Japan specifically). It was SQEX's way of trying to do their part in not letting the Japanese home console gaming market dry up completely with the idea that people would take note of the approaching launch of PS4 (and XBone, lol). To give at least some of the ever-diminishing number of home console gamers in Japan a reason to have continued interest in owning a new batch of home consoles & their games on them (because even with the dropping numbers, getting some 1-1,5 million units sold in Japan is nothing to scoff at, even if they are further and further away from the top sales the franchises had during the PS1 & PS2 days or handheld sales monsters). You can, of course, disagree with what they are doing or question if it's doing the Japanese home console market any good, but the context & behind the scenes is a bit different with early SQEX announcements in 2006 vs. early SQEX announcements in 2013-2015.

Adding to this, Nomura did admit that they revealed VII Remake much too early. They're learning, and seem to be changing from their mistakes in the 2000s about revealing projects in pre-production or early development stages. That's not exactly the case for some of their games, though; Kingdom Hearts III was in active development, but it was announced in 2013 and didn't come out until 2019, FFXV was announced during development in 2013 but came out in 2016, and notably, VII Remake was announced in June 2015, didn't enter full development until later that year, and won't come out until next year.

Compare that to the ports of the PS1 Final Fantasies, The Last Remnant HD (announced mid 2018, came out late 2018), The Zodiac Age (announced June 2016, released July 2017), Octopath Traveler (announced Jan 2017, released July 2018), and TWEWY: Final Remix (announced 2018 iirc, released late 2018), it seems like they're learning, overall.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I thought FFU made some decent videos (or maybe I'm confusing them with another FF-centric channel), but this was some horseshit right here.

The crux of the whole video comes down to "different designs=different characters", which maybe would pass for Cloud vs AC Cloud, but in this case it's literally just another costume that Square can market a million times over.

And I don't know if that Team Ninja quote was legitimate, but they most certainly do not "bounce" from the videos I've seen.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I thought FFU made some decent videos (or maybe I'm confusing them with another FF-centric channel), but this was some horseshit right here.

The crux of the whole video comes down to "different designs=different characters", which maybe would pass for Cloud vs AC Cloud, but in this case it's literally just another costume that Square can market a million times over.

And I don't know if that Team Ninja quote was legitimate, but they most certainly do not "bounce" from the videos I've seen.

Her face is different though.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

can't see the video right now but I think the bounce comment was from the director when he was introducing her addition in the stream.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017

I thought it was good. I don't think they literally mean they're different Tifa's. I think the mean, much like with all the characters, they want to take her character development more seriously in FF7R.

Dissidia Tifa is original FF7 Tifa. FF7R Tifa's characterization is more nuanced so far, and her design was adjusted to match. Original Tifa was great, but much like everything in FF7, she's not as fleshed out. (Not bad, just simpler)

Now they're taking another look at her.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling it now; Cait Sith is going to surprise people by being so likeable that they won't even know why they didn't like him in the first place.

I'm rooting for this. Ironically enough, I think Cait Sith/Reeve is one of the highlights in Team Four Stars' FF7 Machinabridged series. Granted part of that comes down to the comedy in the series making it obvious that he's the spy in the team and making jokes that you can't really do in a proper remake of the game. However the series also does more work to make him a likable character as both Cait and Reeve by putting a stronger emphasis on his disgust with his co-workers at Shinra and actually having Cait be conflicted and feel guilt for betraying the team's trust.

Obviously the meta jokes can't be incorporated into the remake, but that stronger depiction of Cait as a character is something that I think S-E would be wise to implement into the remake.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

Will they have the demo there for attendants? Had forgotten SDCC was this soon, lost track of time tbh.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

Will they have the demo there for attendants? Had forgotten SDCC was this soon, lost track of time tbh.

Square has always had a booth at SDCC so it makes sense to have the bike there. I would be surprised if it was playable. last time i went square's booth was small and they didn't have any demos set up. more interested in if they have any panels talking about the game.

EDIT: seems their booth this year is pretty big. i know that display will take up a bit of space and they might have some demos set up but those demo stations could be for FFXIV or other games that are coming out soon or recently came out. They also don't seem to have any panels for Final Fantasy or Square Enix specifically.
Can check out the map at the link:

Last edited:

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017

It reads less like a different character and more like it going in the classic character design for fanservice reasons (In both sense of the word).

OTOH, it's not like the Dissidia Team would necessarily know what the VIIR team was planning so 🤷‍♂️

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

I feel this video is pointless. The remake designs are obviously only for the remake. Any other camoes or whatever are going to use original designs.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel this video is pointless. The remake designs are obviously only for the remake. Any other camoes or whatever are going to use original designs.

I highly doubt that.

Much like how we got (and suffered) AC Cloud for a good decade since that was the most "modern" version of the character, expect to see the Remake versions of the characters for about 99% of their appearances going forward.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
I highly doubt that.

Much like how we got (and suffered) AC Cloud for a good decade since that was the most "modern" version of the character, expect to see the Remake versions of the characters for about 99% of their appearances going forward.
From what? The only game i can thing of that used ac cloud was kingdom hearts 2? Dirge? Also that makes more sense they'd be used cause it was a sequel design.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what? The only game i can thing of that used ac cloud was kingdom hearts 2?

We specifically got his mopey character traits from it, and in most of his appearances the AC outfit is still an additional costume. Same thing with Tifa, though her personality wasn't that drastically different from the original game.

We've already got the biggest FFVII characters showing up practically every game with the words "Final Fantasy" in the title, but I suspect that's only going to increase even more following the Remake. The marketing writes itself, so I hope most of you aren't sick of seeing Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth and company all over the place.

It's going to get a whole lot more rampant.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Square has always had a booth at SDCC so it makes sense to have the bike there. I would be surprised if it was playable. last time i went square's booth was small and they didn't have any demos set up. more interested in if they have any panels talking about the game.

EDIT: seems their booth this year is pretty big. i know that display will take up a bit of space and they might have some demos set up but those demo stations could be for FFXIV or other games that are coming out soon or recently came out. They also don't seem to have any panels for Final Fantasy or Square Enix specifically.
Can check out the map at the link:
Oh, cool to know then. Thanks!

It'd be nice to have demos there so that we can get more impressions, but no big deal if there isn't one. We wouldn't really have anything new (although I'd love it if people were allowed to record themselves playing) and it's only been a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.