• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt that.

Much like how we got (and suffered) AC Cloud for a good decade since that was the most "modern" version of the character, expect to see the Remake versions of the characters for about 99% of their appearances going forward.

Eh I wouldn't be 100% sure after that voice actor comment.

Also some of y'all gotta stop acting like every fan hates AC Cloud and co.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Those xbox screens made me realize they'll have to fill Midgar with a game's worth of achievements smh.

Complete that one dumb jump during the climbing of the rope to Shinra HQ in one try - gold trophy.
Marry Jessie - gold trophy

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
when I was a kid ( 13/14 yo ) and didnt knowa jack about English, I always thought Jessie was given Cloud a blowjob in the train scene, my mind blow away when I learned English and found out that she was just wiping his face

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Its still timed and still only announced for Ps4. If an Xbox version wasn't announced at E3 with the game being shown at SE's own conference there is no Xbox version coming day and date with the Ps4 version

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so would seem it's not timed exclusive anymore?

Thought that was reconfirmed at E3

It was

At the FINAL FANTASY VII: A Symphonic Reunion orchestra concert in Los Angeles, SQUARE ENIX® unveiled that the highly anticipated FINAL FANTASY VII® REMAKE will debut first on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system on March 3rd, 2020.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be available first for the PlayStation®4 system from March 3, 2020, with English, Japanese, French and German voiceover and English, French, LatAm Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, German and Spanish subtitles. For more information, visit: http://ffvii-remake.com.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Social media people make mistakes all the time. Even executives make mistakes as well (i.e. Nelson).

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Lakers-Fan-Takes-Off-Sunglasses.gif

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
You know what would be neat?

Escaping with Red XIII and having to roam or hide around a Midgar that is in red alert and lockdown. Extra troops and Turks searching for you. Kind of a nod to XVs blockades and imperial drops.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Watched Max's talkthrough of the demo. It's frustrating that everything he's saying sounds pretty perfect aside from the whole "this is all you're gonna get to see for the whole game" part.

It feels like they're doing everything right except the way the episodes are broken up.
it is a game on 2 discs. The story is practically guaranteed to be 40ish or more hours. IMO.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Sure. But I don't want 40 hours of Midgar.
You dont want 40 hours of OLD Midgar. Nobody does, there's not enough content there. But this isn't OLD Midgar anymore, this is something new and different. You're not going to do the exact same story beats but at a slower pace, they're changing things up, expanding and adding.

The fact that people are still in the mindset of "It's going to take 40 hours just to do what it used to take 5 to do" is ridiculous to me. Shows just how close minded people are being about the remake.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You dont want 40 hours of OLD Midgar. Nobody does, there's not enough content there. But this isn't OLD Midgar anymore, this is something new and different. You're not going to do the exact same story beats but at a slower pace, they're changing things up, expanding and adding.

The fact that people are still in the mindset of "It's going to take 40 hours just to do what it used to take 5 to do" is ridiculous to me. Shows just how close minded people are being about the remake.

Not quite. I mean I don't want to spend 40 hours in the same town, ever. I want environmental and narrative diversity, and you can't get that if you're stuck in the same city for the whole game. There's a whole big world in the VII setting and being locked to one tiny fragment of it for an entire game gives me serious Dragon Age 2 vibes.

To be clear, I don't think it'll be anywhere near as awful as DA2, but I have never in any RPG felt satisfied when the entire experience is locked to one town. Especially considering you won't even have party members like Cid, Vincent or Cait in your team, limiting your combat options significantly.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Not quite. I mean I don't want to spend 40 hours in the same town, ever. I want environmental and narrative diversity, and you can't get that if you're stuck in the same city for the whole game. There's a whole big world in the VII setting and being locked to one tiny fragment of it for an entire game gives me serious Dragon Age 2 vibes.

To be clear, I don't think it'll be anywhere near as awful as DA2, but I have never in any RPG felt satisfied when the entire experience is locked to one town. Especially considering you won't even have party members like Cid, Vincent or Cait in your team, limiting your combat options significantly.
Not a fan of the Yakuza games then?

Plus I disagree that Midgar wont have environmental diversity. You can easily make different areas look and feel different just through aesthetics alone. Hell, take the original game. Wall Market, Sector 7, Train Graveyard, Shinra Tower, all in the same city, all with completely different tones to each other.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the Yakuza games then?

Plus I disagree that Midgar wont have environmental diversity. You can easily make different areas look and feel different just through aesthetics alone. Hell, take the original game. Wall Market, Sector 7, Train Graveyard, Shinra Tower, all in the same city, all with completely different tones to each other.

I love Yakuza. But part of the reason Yakuza works is because most of the games DO break things up with other cities and other locales.

It also helps that Yakuza is part city sim, so a large part of the series is about building the player's relationship and familiarity WITH said city, and view the way it changes and grows (and in some cases shrinks) as the protagonists' stories stretch across the years.

Midgar on the other hand is a place that is built specifically so you can leave it and see the rest of the world, and as such I do not understand the mindset behind dragging that part of the experience out as long as possible. You only go back once and it's for a very, very short time when the city is basically a war zone, so fleshing it out too much feels like a lot of work that can't really pay dividends in the future.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
it is a game on 2 discs. The story is practically guaranteed to be 40ish or more hours. IMO.

The 2 discs just mean it has a large data size. This doesn't necessarily mean a long game - it could mean a bunch of high-quality FMVs, or a lot of unique assets, or even just a lack of compression. In RDR2's case it was due to the game being long and detailed and loaded with a great number of custom assets, but this isn't guaranteed.

Like, did you know that while the original FFVII used 3 CDs to hold about 1.6GB of data, the actual game part was only 200MB? Each disc holds the 200MB game file plus FMVs, and the disc change points were decided based on the placement of the FMVs. For all we know, FFVIIR could be only a 20-30-hour game but with high-detail assets and 50GB of 4K FMVs (though I do think it'll be at least as long as FFXV).

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like she to a certain extent wants to 'present' as that but isn't. That's sort of what Nomura was talking about wrt appearances not matching reality.

Yep exactly. That said I think later interpretations might have warped people's perceptions a bit cause I've seen plenty of people think she was. Glad that SE is going back to the roots tho.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Sure. But I don't want 40 hours of Midgar.
I still think it won't be like this anyway

That scorpion boss fight was so lavish, I can't imagine a 40 hour RPG where every boss is so impressive as that.

But if they just remake every boss in the original Midgar and make it 20 hours or so then its easier to imagine how they can keep the production values so high.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still think it won't be like this anyway

That scorpion boss fight was so lavish, I can't imagine a 40 hour RPG where every boss is so impressive as that.

But if they just remake every boss in the original Midgar and make it 20 hours or so then its easier to imagine how they can keep the production values so high.

This is part of the reason I'm so frustrated by the whole episodic thing. I don't want to spend $60 for a 20 hour RPG no matter how pretty it is. But I also don't want to spend 40+ hours in the same town.

It's like a catch-22.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is part of the reason I'm so frustrated by the whole episodic thing. I don't want to spend $60 for a 20 hour RPG no matter how pretty it is. But I also don't want to spend 40+ hours in the same town.

It's like a catch-22.
I know its not usual for RPGs but lots of famous games are playable in only a town or place.
Mgs 1,2,3,4 resident evil 1,2,3,4,5,7 uncharted 1, GTA franchise etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know its not usual for RPGs but lots of famous games are playable in only a town or place.
Mgs 1,2,3,4 resident evil 1,2,3,4,5,7 uncharted 1, GTA franchise etc.

To be fair, GTA has consistently widened its scope from game to game to game to the point at which GTAV basically takes place in an entire chunk of a state rather than just one town.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, GTA has consistently widened its scope from game to game to game to the point at which GTAV basically takes place in an entire chunk of a state rather than just one town.
What they have to do is to create different and interesting scenarios, landmarks etc. within the city so It doesnt feel repetitive. Let's see If they managed that

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What they have to do is to create different and interesting scenarios, landmarks etc. within the city so It doesnt feel repetitive. Let's see If they managed that

I'm never gonna stop bitching about the fact Vincent and Cid won't be playable for possibly two more games because of this shit.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people have overly low expectations of how they're going to expand Midgar. New sectors are a given. Maybe even new reactors to destroy. New town areas with new characters with new problems to solve. Maybe we'll even go onto the plate and see how the 1% live.

While the original game tore through Midgar as an exercise of critical-pathing, I'm so excited for the opportunity to really delve into its dirty, cyberpunk nooks and crannies. It's such a wonderful opportunity and I'm glad they're exploiting it.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm never gonna stop bitching about the fact Vincent and Cid won't be playable for possibly two more games because of this shit.

Eh i don't think we would have ever seen this Game if it wasn't episodic. There is a reason square never wanted to do it. This episodic thing is the only reason this game is coming out at all.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder if there's going to be a daytime system in Remake 2 (I don't expect it in Midgar at all).

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Id rather have a more curated experience than open world for PT 2.

But I understand I am in the minority.
Nah, I want the same too.

So long as there's a healthy degree of exploration and discovery and the world feels properly big (both in terms of traversable space and window dressing).
Because the only fuck up was that they weren't supposed to post the ad so soon. No way they made this entire thing accidentally.
While it's entirely possible this is coming on Xbox One next year (I'm still betting on this being on Scarlet rather tho), there's no way this is coming out the same day as the PS4 version.

It'd be really weird considering how there's only been PS4 references in the game's relaunch this May and this E3 and how they'd be hiding preorders for a platform.

So there'd be a mistake at least in that particular point. PC and Xbox (whichever console it is) should come next, but not on the very same day.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I want the same too.

So long as there's a healthy degree of exploration and discovery and the world feels properly big (both in terms of traversable space and window dressing).

While it's entirely possible this is coming on Xbox One next year (I'm still betting on this being on Scarlet rather tho), there's no way this is coming out the same day as the PS4 version.

It'd be really weird considering how there's only been PS4 references in the game's relaunch this May and this E3 and how they'd be hiding preorders for a platform.

So there'd be a mistake at least in that particular point. PC and Xbox (whichever console it is) should come next, but not on the very same day.
I believe it is coming march 3rd. How can you fuck up twice? Get the wrong date, and post it by accident? No. The date is correct, the posting is the accident.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Because the only fuck up was that they weren't supposed to post the ad so soon. No way they made this entire thing accidentally.

But they did. The girl who was responsible for that responded on twitter saying the video was part of a Final fantasy Mash Up and they didn't check if it's exclusive.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
no way it's that exact day and I'm not convinced it'll even be 2020 but the fact that there was a team of people that made the decision to make and post that makes me believe it will be coming to Xbox. but if it's not coming to xbox, how the fuck does that mistake happen? I'm sure a marketing exec blew a gasket when this popped up.

EDIT: ah I see it was a part of a larger video and not just about FF7 Remake. that helps explain some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.