• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Don't ellipses me because of semantics pls. She had 'garment or armor induced shoulder size enhancements' in the original.
You know what, I choose to support you in this crusade.

Bring them back you cowards.
bf6b1214ca55e019853e5326ff04bb6d.jpg

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
My man.

This isn't ironic though I actually do think they look good on her.
I wasn't being ironic either, I legitimately love them lol. That and the incredibly short jacket.

It really fits with the era the game came out around.

Love what they've done with the dress, though. Both the colour and the lack of buttons, nice compromise for a character that is to move and fight so much.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Why did Nomura only ever have one game where he drew like this? There are a couple things that tip me off that it's him, namely the hair shapes and hand language, but... he never drew like this again.
I love his later 90's artstyle too (FF VIII, Parasite Eve...), but yeah, there's something magical about the really stylized look of the characters there. I think there might be some of other games around the time that looked somewhat similar (well, close enough at least, as Mushashi was even more cartoony), but I guess a big motivation for such a simplistic look was due to VII being their first forray in 3D (for FF).

I quite dislike (comparatively speaking I guess) his current artstyle :( The one featured in Dissidia at least.
Lmao.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did Nomura only ever have one game where he drew like this? There are a couple things that tip me off that it's him, namely the hair shapes and hand language, but... he never drew like this again.
I'm pretty sure he said that he only drew like this in FFVII because of technical limitations (the 3D models had to be chibi and blocky).

Starting with FFVIII Square got better at 3D modelling so he reverted back to his SNES era art style.

Not-Squall in FFVI
p65W8sd.png

Not-Zell in FFVI
0eD8PN2m.jpg

Not-Seifer and co. in Front Mission
kO1RKiZl.jpg

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I quite dislike (comparatively speaking I guess) his current artstyle :( The one featured in Dissidia at least.

Lmao.
I don't like his Dissidia artwork that much either, but I do like his G-bike artwork (which actually is after Dissidia)
DZtMEwqU8AAOdMy.jpg:orig

except Yuffie's art which I am not really a fan of.

It's a real shame G-bike died so early that we never got Aerith artwork.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know if there's actually anything substantial on Remake in the new Playstation Official Magazine (UK)?

Obviously there'd be no new info inside, and I usually stick to my Edge subscription, but damn if that Tifa cover isn't tempting.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I believe is talking about a downloable demo on PSStore.
PS Store demo probably won't come out much closer to launch. They would want to milk the demo stations at all the different gameshows and event. Even RE2 demo ended up releasing very close to release, so I expect something similar IF they ever release a public demo on PS Store.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
M rated would be dumbzilla.

"I sure hope they keep all the whacky stuff that made the original game. Let's mosey!!!"
"Oh also turn the ShinRa HQ into a derivative resident evil hallway pls"

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
M rating wouldn't actually change much. It'd be a soft M if it gets an M at all. Similar to Arkham Knight.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
M rated would be dumbzilla.

"I sure hope they keep all the whacky stuff that made the original game. Let's mosey!!!"
"Oh also turn the ShinRa HQ into a derivative resident evil hallway pls"

Yeah, no. The best part of FFVII was that it knew how to do both of those things and do them right. "derivative resident evil hallway", give me a break - it's literally a trek through a building covered in blood and dead bodies. They would very likely need an M-rating just to faithfully present the scene as it originally was in the new visual engine. And Jenova is expressly supposed to be like the Thing.

M rating wouldn't actually change much. It'd be a soft M if it gets an M at all. Similar to Arkham Knight.

Yep. It would simply be needed to allow faithful reproductions of certain scenes.

What does this have to do with anything? Who is asking for this?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, no. The best part of FFVII was that it knew how to do both of those things and do them right. "derivative resident evil hallway", give me a break - it's literally a trek through a building covered in blood and dead bodies. They would very likely need an M-rating just to faithfully present the scene as it originally was in the new visual engine. And Jenova is expressly supposed to be like the Thing.
The gifs in the OP in that other thread were definitely more "derivative resident evil hallway" than anything the original came was implying, and it wasn't a "building covered in blood and dead bodies" it was like a couple of dead bodies and blood trails. The scene was scary because of the silence you wake up to + the creepy music mostly imo. The game doesn't need writhing grotesqueries. Make it M if needed but at most it should resemble this:

zJeuefy.jpg

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The gifs in the OP in that other thread were definitely more "derivative resident evil hallway" than anything the original came was implying, and it wasn't a "building covered in blood and dead bodies" it was like a couple of dead bodies and blood trails. The scene was scary because of the silence you wake up to + the creepy music mostly imo. The game doesn't need writhing grotesqueries. Make it M if needed but at most it should resemble this:

zJeuefy.jpg

The scene was scary because of everything in it, including the gory visuals. Something like the MGS hallway was what I was thinking too - and that would absolutely be M-rated, reinforcing the point.

As for the "writhing grotesqueries" - that is literally what Jenova was originally based on. I actually agree, that stuff wouldn't really belong in the Shinra halfway scene, keep that as blood, bodies and creepy music. For the actual appearances of Jenova herself, something Thing-esque would be appropriate but I assume it'll just be like the Mobius cards.

300px-Card_2621_EN_Jenova_BIRTH_FFVII_4.png

440px-Card_2622_EN_Jenova_LIFE_FFVII_4.png
440px-Card_2620_EN_Jenova_DEATH_FFVII_4.png

300px-Card_2623_EN_Jenova_SYNTHESIS_FFVII_4.png

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's a hard balance but I'd prefer something not really near a realistic and monstrous potrayal of Jenova et al. monsters, even if that's what they would look like a more 3D visual style.

QNXvdOS.jpg

Like this is easy to imagine as a reasltic looking Resident Evil enemy so it's not like it would be inaccurate, but something about the style in the original game makes me never want to interpret their designs like that. Maybe it's the texture-less polygons.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Type-0 is rated M in NA tho
yeah which is quite interesting. I don't know if anything from JP version of Type-0 was censored compared to NA, or that NA and JP just have different standard for rating regarding bloody scenes I guess? But I personally don't think SE would go M rating for the West.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura's character design is sometimes controversial, but his monster design has always been perfect. I have faith that Remake JENOVA will look amazing

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Been Chocobo racing for like 4 hours trying to get this dumb Sneak Attack materia ahhhhhh.

They should release a smartphone game that is just the Battle Arena. Add new enemies and ladders all the time, have people spend their BP on materia and equipment and etc.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Been Chocobo racing for like 4 hours trying to get this dumb Sneak Attack materia ahhhhhh.

They should release a smartphone game that is just the Battle Arena. Add new enemies and ladders all the time, have people spend their BP on materia and equipment and etc.
I played a shitload of that PC demo that was only the Battle Square before I had the full game. I played through the demo of Mt Corel just once, but then I kept going back to the Battle Square demo for a while.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
lol never knew such a demo existed, that's funny.
They put out a bunch of weird PC demos, at least 4 from this one's title. I don't know what the other 2 were, but the Mt Corel one started at the entrance right before the train tracks and went up to the Gold Saucer cable car.

Also that awful original PC music gives me the worst kind of nostalgia, because that's how I had to play the game for the first time. It definitely negatively impacted my opinion of the game, because FF7 didn't actually become my clear favorite game until I replayed the PS1 version years later and heard the music properly.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They put out a bunch of weird PC demos, at least 4 from this one's title. I don't know what the other 2 were, but the Mt Corel one started at the entrance right before the train tracks and went up to the Gold Saucer cable car.

Also that awful original PC music gives me the worst kind of nostalgia, because that's how I had to play the game for the first time. It definitely negatively impacted my opinion of the game, because FF7 didn't actually become my clear favorite game until I replayed the PS1 version years later and heard the music properly.

Demo giving you Heaven's Cloud is cool. Also it's funny that the music matches the first group of monster's attacks.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

zJeuefy.jpg
Its a lot more blood in the original ff7. The name of the music is trail of blood even, there's nothing like that in the mgs pic. The thing is that the lego SD graphics breaks the horror immersion and thats why It still received T in recent ports.

images

PLAYSTATION--Final%20Fantasy%20VII_Mar24%2017_06_43.png

Status
Not open for further replies.