• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Got Sneak Attack after like 7 hours of chocobo racing. It doesn't work with Flash materia though so I wasted all of that time.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

I don't like his Dissidia artwork that much either, but I do like his G-bike artwork (which actually is after Dissidia)
DZtMEwqU8AAOdMy.jpg:orig

except Yuffie's art which I am not really a fan of.

It's a real shame G-bike died so early that we never got Aerith artwork.
Yeah, even if I still prefer either the VIII/PE or the VII style, G-Bike has really nice art, quite like it. I really want to see Nomura's concept art for Remake (it's a shame that the artbook in the special edition is probably going to be short as hell :/).

On that note, I wonder if we'll ever get this as an optional outfit:
tumblr_p3b28vL4rD1qgxh8fo3_500.jpg

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, even if I still prefer either the VIII/PE or the VII style, G-Bike has really nice art, quite like it. I really want to see Nomura's concept art for Remake (it's a shame that the artbook in the special edition is probably going to be short as hell :/).

On that note, I wonder if we'll ever get this as an optional outfit:
tumblr_p3b28vL4rD1qgxh8fo3_500.jpg

I think that's the worst cloud design I've ever seen

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I have been in absolute awe of the animation every time I see the remake, but the one thing I'm wondering about is if Cloud's casting animation will make a return somehow. We've seen him cast spells in trailers already and he doesn't use his original battle animation to do so, he just puts 1 open palm out real quick. I'm thinking maybe he'll use the original animation for Summons.

bVQ0gVx.gif

EDIT: It kinda looks like he's farting out bubbles here, maybe I should have GIF'd a different spell, lmao.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Do you guys think they've changed Aerith's face?

This was the original when she was first revealed.

She looks a lot more softer.
I preferred the earlier one though, Im getting bored of playing perfect looking heroes and the original Aeirth look something quite unique for Square.
SE changes face models like underwear. Even Advent Children cycles through a bunch of different models for Cloud's face within a single film.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017

I preferred the earlier one though, Im getting bored of playing perfect looking heroes and the original Aeirth look something quite unique for Square.
I believe the former is in-engine (real-time) render while the latter is pre-rendered. That's why the latter looks softer.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Have they revealed the rest of the cast yet ?, like red XIII, maybe Vincent will look like in his game ?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's the worst cloud design I've ever seen
d47gtxx-6dfc0b0a-286c-41ec-a5f2-75e3271436d8.jpg

In engine vs. prerender. 👍

SE changes face models like underwear. Even Advent Children cycles through a bunch of different models for Cloud's face within a single film.
We talking about the same studio that used the same Chain of Memories Sora model for more than a decade? On other characters no less... 👀

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember how conflicted i was about Kingdom Hearts when i was a kid (it came out when i was in Jr High), I thought Cloud looked bad ass, FF was my favorite franchise, but the instant i saw a disney character it was so jarring and took me out of it so much that i never bothered playing them.

Really glad i grew out of that.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the opening pre-rendered Aerith scene, it also changed a bit from State of Play to E3.

SoP
KQdQycp.png

E3
d1xLZMG.png

SoP
XUA0hM9.png

E3
6FRj6Mp.png

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So, what are we expecting from the Hong Kong event? It looks like they'll have a 30 minute presentation, so we're gonna see and hear some new stuff, right? I'm already hyped again.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It's just another lighting pass, not exactly a HUGE change
The CG part is small change like I mentioned, but other things are quite different as well that's why I said huge gap. The opening scene is the most noticeable one.
45vNCUv.gif

The environment, lighting, Cloud's sword not cliping through his arm anymore... For a month difference, it does feel quite huge imo.

SoP
EAKbl8uUcAAaUp7

E3
EAKbl8sUYAAJVX2

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how old the build of the SoP trailer is, as that might be to much change for just a month as Xenosaga said.

If you noticed it, the Command Menu was activated with ⭕ and not ❌, even in some of the footage they showed this E3 IIRC.
A lot of UI elements are different from SoP to E3, like the text "mode" being added to Punisher/Operator, Character portraits added, and HP/MP/ATB text visible now (although I feel this was hidden intentionally for SoP trailer)
As for O/X buttons, it's going to be different from JP and West version so maybe they were thinking of keeping it the same, but decided to change it.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So, what are we expecting from the Hong Kong event? It looks like they'll have a 30 minute presentation, so we're gonna see and hear some new stuff, right? I'm already hyped again.
Not expecting much tbh. Maybe small new stuff in the same area we saw, but I don't expect anything major new. That is for either Gamescom or TGS I think. But considering Kitase himself will be on the stage, I could be wrong and they could show something new.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I wonder if they'll adjust how steal works in the game. The original formula for working out steal success was designed by a god damn insane person.

((((40+your level-enemy level)*512)/100)*item constant)/256 and then roll a 63 sided dice and it has to be over that

They've not used anything even CLOSE to this complicated before or since FF7 original

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll adjust how steal works in the game. The original formula for working out steal success was designed by a god damn insane person.

((((40+your level-enemy level)*512)/100)*item constant)/256 and then roll a 63 sided dice and it has to be over that

They've not used anything even CLOSE to this complicated before or since FF7 original
It's a weird numerical choice, but it's not complex, purely linear. 512*256/100 is just times a single constant, another constant to be able to control how hard an item is to steal, and a baseline 40 that goes up or down depending on level difference. It's honestly how I might code it, albeit I would probably use a 1000 sided die, not 63. Maybe weird limitations of random number gen at the time, I dunno.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
It's a weird numerical choice, but it's not complex, purely linear. 512*256/100 is just times a single constant, another constant to be able to control how hard an item is to steal, and a baseline 40 that goes up or down depending on level difference. It's honestly how I might code it, albeit I would probably use a 1000 sided die, not 63. Maybe weird limitations of random number gen at the time, I dunno.
A 1000 sided die? That seems a little harsh. Let's use an example from the wiki;

Cloud is lvl 50
Enemy is lvl 25
Item to steal is a Turbo Ether which has an Item Constant of 8
This puts the chance number to compare to the RNG number at 10, meaning there is a 17.2% chance of stealing
If you made the RNG number go to 1000, that would put the steal chance at 1.01%.

Seems like an unfairly low % for a common item on a much lower level enemy.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A 1000 sided die? That seems a little harsh. Let's use an example from the wiki;

Cloud is lvl 50
Enemy is lvl 25
Item to steal is a Turbo Ether which has an Item Constant of 8
This puts the chance number to compare to the RNG number at 10, meaning there is a 17.2% chance of stealing
If you made the RNG number go to 1000, that would put the steal chance at 1.01%.

Seems like an unfairly low % for a common item on a much lower level enemy.
(shakes head) The 1000-sided die isn't "unfair". It's to give you fine-grained control over the chances of something dropping. With a 1000-sided die roll needing to be less than a number determined via a formula, you can have the drop percentage be any percentage to a tenth of a percentage point; i.e., a 9.7% chance of dropping, or a 78.3% chance of dropping. A 63-sided die means you only have 63 available "percentages" to assign...which is probably okay, in the end, it's just weird.

The formula (the numerical constants, specifically) would change, of course, when using a 1000-sided die versus a 63-sided die. I'm just saying the general technique isn't that strange.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
(shakes head) The 1000-sided die isn't "unfair". It's to give you fine-grained control over the chances of something dropping. With a 1000-sided die roll needing to be less than a number determined via a formula, you can have the drop percentage be any percentage to a tenth of a percentage point; i.e., a 9.7% chance of dropping, or a 78.3% chance of dropping. A 63-sided die means you only have 63 available "percentages" to assign...which is probably okay, in the end, it's just weird.

The formula (the numerical constants, specifically) would change, of course, when using a 1000-sided die versus a 63-sided die. I'm just saying the general technique isn't that strange.
Ok, yeah I understand using the 1000 sided to have accurate percentiles, I just assumed you were dropping the 1000 sided die into that particular formula.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so you're telling me that the "Dexterity" stat had nothing to do with your chances to steal an item .........

i need to sit down.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That Cloud looks GREAT!
Yikes

I have been in absolute awe of the animation every time I see the remake, but the one thing I'm wondering about is if Cloud's casting animation will make a return somehow. We've seen him cast spells in trailers already and he doesn't use his original battle animation to do so, he just puts 1 open palm out real quick. I'm thinking maybe he'll use the original animation for Summons.

bVQ0gVx.gif

EDIT: It kinda looks like he's farting out bubbles here, maybe I should have GIF'd a different spell, lmao.
Literally stop copying me https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...ion-thread-open-spoilers.117768/post-21907952

so you're telling me that the "Dexterity" stat had nothing to do with your chances to steal an item .........

i need to sit down.
I tihnk it's just relevant for ATB speed and evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.