• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
xrq9uzQ.gif

I think they did a pretty great job when it comes to hit impact when Cloud attacks. It was one of the things I was a bit worried about when it comes to the combat.
I am just hoping there is some variations to his attack strings (other than Punisher/Operator mode difference)

Oct 25, 2017
I have been replaying FF7 for the platinum.

The skill "magic hammer" that you get from the enemy skill materia is lowkey the best magic in the game.

For 3mp cost, you can suck out 100mp from ANY enemy and refill your own mp.

It literally turns bosses into babies.

I have 3 of my characters with it, and any boss I face, I drain out all their mp within like 2 rounds. Half the time the bosses resort to just physical attacks and when they try to use magic, it just says "skill power used up".

It kinda feels like cheating lol.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think Zack fighting alongside Sephiroth , plus the nibelheim sequence are both good choices for this game.
What would really sell the flashback scenes for anyone not in the know is having Cloud sheathe the Buster Sword how Zack does (backwards) in the flashback scene making people go "what is this weird glitch why is it different" and then having it go back to normal later with the pay off at the end of the crater.

If they weren't showing Sephiroth in the first hour or two I'd argue there's so many cool ways with new tech we could foreshadow the events of the game now, but I don't know if they'll know how to handle that subtlety.

I strongly believe Zack needs to be in the game to some degree or the flashback scene not optional for the plot to have more cohesion though.
I have been replaying FF7 for the platinum.

The skill "magic hammer" that you get from the enemy skill materia is lowkey the best magic in the game.

For 3mp cost, you can suck out 100mp from ANY enemy and refill your own mp.

It literally turns bosses into babies.

I have 3 of my characters with it, and any boss I face, I drain out all their mp within like 2 rounds. Half the time the bosses resort to just physical attacks and when they try to use magic, it just says "skill power used up".

It kinda feels like cheating lol.
That's what bums me out about the games that came after FF7. FF7 still had that FF6 and before feel where things could be "silly" and you could game the system a lot if you thought about it (materia being the ultimate example of that cheese).

It's part of why I still like FFXIV and why I hope future FFs go back to that. Seeing a upsized frog enemy use a magic hammer with a squeak noise hit your tank as a "tank buster" is a charm only FF and similar JRPGs can pull off, and I feel as we got "mature" we lost some of the charm.

There's so many cool tactics in FF7 like that. Even FF8, with its notoriously OP draw system had a great "idea" to it.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The idea that we are seeing Sephiroth this much means a fight with him by the end of this game. Cannot wait.
Really hope not.

I'm relatively fine with "him" (as it's Cloud's mind playing tricks) showing up so much (I honestly kinda like Sephi taunting him with Zack's last words, even if I'm still iffy on these sequences), but no more than that. I'm already eh at the whole "black feather" thing they still seem to be going with.
xrq9uzQ.gif

I think they did a pretty great job when it comes to hit impact when Cloud attacks. It was one of the things I was a bit worried about when it comes to the combat.
I am just hoping there is some variations to his attack strings (other than Punisher/Operator mode difference)
Yeah, it's something I noticed too. Particularly love the staggered effect in enemies and Cloud still beating the shit out of them.

Things like Barret's final burst and reloading or Tifa's combos are also really satisfying. The animation work is stellar and I can't wait to see what Red XIII looks like in combat.

Oh, and the VFX: the fire from the Sweeper, the sparks when the Buster Sword connects (and the blur from its fast movement), the spinning move from the Grunts

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea of including Sephiroth as a fight in this game. I'm not the biggest fan of including him at all but I at least understand why they're doing it.

The first exposure to him in actual combat should be during the flashback scene where he totally destroys everything compared to Cloud. Having a fight with him in the first game would either make him appear really weak or it would be a fight you can't win, which is a weird note to end on.

Also this is the first time I've been able to really check the thread in a while, I'm guessing I've not missed any new info since E3?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea of including Sephiroth as a fight in this game. I'm not the biggest fan of including him at all but I at least understand why they're doing it.

The first exposure to him in actual combat should be during the flashback scene where he totally destroys everything compared to Cloud. Having a fight with him in the first game would either make him appear really weak or it would be a fight you can't win, which is a weird note to end on.

Also this is the first time I've been able to really check the thread in a while, I'm guessing I've not missed any new info since E3?
Especially since Sephiroth proper doesn't even appear in Midgar at all :/

And I mean, Episode 2 should already have some nice Sephiroth moments without having to have the player battle him, what with the flashback (which will let us see him in action) and some other moments. Sure, it's probably going to be 2-3 (hopefully not 4) years until that comes out, but yeah, no rush, you don't want to lose any impact.

And nope, no new info! There's some concept art they've uploaded on the Twitter page, however:

And they showed Tifa and Aerith's Play Arts Kai figures at SDCC:
D_3GzH2UIAEfkuo.jpg

D_3GzH2U4AAr0Yg.jpg

Gamescom Opening Night Live is next week, so we might have something new there (iif not, at least S-E has already confirmed 74 demo stations for the event, which is a shitton). I wouldn't be shocked if we don't get new stuff until TGS, though.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like regardless we should get something new sooner rather than later then, which is great. I'm really curious what exactly they'll show off next, their E3 showing was fairly easy to guess but I feel like it's less obvious what they'll pick to show next.

That concept art also gave me chills, specifically the Shinra Building and Sector 8 ones. They've done such a good job modernising the look of FF7, it's like it was ripped from my imagination when I played the original.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow this one is fantastic.

Really nice!
xrq9uzQ.gif

blow that pic up on a bigger screen to appreciate the incredible fluidity of the animations. Wowza

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Considering that at E3 they told us that they have much more to show regarding combat, what other new additions do you guys expect? For me:

-"styles" other than Punisher/Operator;
-team-up attacks?
-summons?
-gambit-like system for party members?

Looks like regardless we should get something new sooner rather than later then, which is great. I'm really curious what exactly they'll show off next, their E3 showing was fairly easy to guess but I feel like it's less obvious what they'll pick to show next.

That concept art also gave me chills, specifically the Shinra Building and Sector 8 ones. They've done such a good job modernising the look of FF7, it's like it was ripped from my imagination when I played the original.

I want some exploration, like, more than a 1 second frame, i want to see Cloud strolling around the Slums.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zack will obviously be revived, hell he might not even die in this remake. If I apply the logic of the people who say that you will be able to save Aerith in this remake.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I want some exploration, like, more than a 1 second frame, i want to see Cloud strolling around the Slums.
This is probably what I'm hoping to see the most, after Red XIII anyway. Even if they don't actually show any extended exploration it would be nice to hear some information about how exploration will work and the games structure.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Really hope not.

I'm relatively fine with "him" (as it's Cloud's mind playing tricks) showing up so much (I honestly kinda like Sephi taunting him with Zack's last words, even if I'm still iffy on these sequences), but no more than that. I'm already eh at the whole "black feather" thing they still seem to be going with.

Yeah, it's something I noticed too. Particularly love the staggered effect in enemies and Cloud still beating the shit out of them.

Things like Barret's final burst and reloading or Tifa's combos are also really satisfying. The animation work is stellar and I can't wait to see what Red XIII looks like in combat.

Oh, and the VFX: the fire from the Sweeper, the sparks when the Buster Sword connects (and the blur from its fast movement), the spinning move from the Grunts
In this reimagining, there is no way it ends in March without some form of Sephiroth combat or fight , whether it is a dream thing or smoke and mirrors or a remnant, idk. But i have a feeling we will see him in action. We shall see.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Zack And Aerith, but they need to die.

I think the ghosts things Will be the final Boss, whatever they are.

They could expand Reeve in part 1 they have space for that in this game, but no sign of him And red xiii i think they wont do that in this game, If nothing is revealed until tgs.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth will be part of the final boss gauntlet of this episode, just after Rufus Shinra and before JENOVA-Fetus.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that at E3 they told us that they have much more to show regarding combat, what other new additions do you guys expect? For me:

-"styles" other than Punisher/Operator;
-team-up attacks?
-summons?
-gambit-like system for party members?
Technically, they haven't really talked about the modes at all to the public so they will go into the details on that.
There is also some sort of combo system with the party so they could talk about that as well. And magic/summon of course.
Not sure if they will have gambit-like system for party members though. I expect something more standard like ones used in KH.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I don't really expect more modes than Punisher/Operator for Cloud, but every playable character is bound to have two modes I assume, so that's something they can talk about.

The elemental combo thing too, and, obviously, big boy summons to be in the game as well, not just Chocobo, Carbuncle or Cactuar, so they could reveal Ifrit or whatever in a cool trailer.

I also expect them to have a breakdown of the Materia system (which they've only hinted at) even if it's apparently going to be similar (in essence) to the original one. They could show some new Materias unique to the more actiony battle system.
In this reimagining, there is no way it ends in March without some form of Sephiroth combat or fight , whether it is a dream thing or smoke and mirrors or a remnant, idk. But i have a feeling we will see him in action. We shall see.
Could be, but I actually think they'll be capable of restricting themselves and will leave such significant stuff for later.

In terms of seeing him in action, I could see some sequences in the Shinra building, although I really hope not: encountering everything soaked in blood not knowing who did that was really chilling in the original.

Oct 25, 2017
Like I mentioned, I've been replaying FF7 on PS4 and just have to beat Sephiroth right now.

I gotta say, after going through this game again, anyone who says SE should remake this game in one game is delusional.

I'm sorry, but yeah. After seeing the PS4 footage, its just, like......no. Just no.

It would be an absolute massive undertaking unless SE severely cut everything but the absolute bare essentials and even then I question if they have the ability.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Like I mentioned, I've been replaying FF7 on PS4 and just have to beat Sephiroth right now.

I gotta say, after going through this game again, anyone who says SE should remake this game in one game is delusional.

I'm sorry, but yeah. After seeing the PS4 footage, its just, like......no. Just no.

It would be an absolute massive undertaking unless SE severely cut everything but the absolute bare essentials and even then I question if they have the ability.

Yep. Been saying this for years and it remains just as true. Even if they went with just doing a more purely graphical remake - as in, using pre-rendered backgrounds with the exact same game design and ATB combat and everything - it would still be a massive project due simply the the higher fidelity involved. Doing it how they are will need probably 4 games - maybe 3 if we're lucky - due to the wide variety of locales they have to make.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense to have something planned for TGS. Does SE typically run any streams there or anything?
They do bunch of live events with guests, VAs and developers for games. Last year they had KH3 live event with some VAs, Tai Yasue and Nomura ad we got some new footage. Hoping we have something similar for FF7R this year.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
They do bunch of live events with guests, VAs and developers for games. Last year they had KH3 live event with some VAs, Tai Yasue and Nomura ad we got some new footage. Hoping we have something similar for FF7R this year.
That's good to hear, was hoping that would be the case. Lets hope FF7R gets a good showing at TGS then.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
That doesn't technically detract from the game being at Gamescom (TGS was always gonna have a new trailer and whatever S-E might have for GC should have been done a while ago), but I'm honestly expecting nothing next week.

At least we'll get Death Stranding and FF VII-R demo impressions guaranteed. And TGS isn't terribly far away.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
This actually makes me curious, why would VAs have to record something specific for an event if it was just a trailer? Wouldn't trailer just use the voices from the actual game recording? Unless the English VA recording is not far enough and they are recording specifically for the trailer first?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think Zack fighting alongside Sephiroth , plus the nibelheim sequence are both good choices for this game.

The thing is, where does this fit if this is just the Midgar chapter? If you do this, it really dampens the impact of the Sephiroth flashback - and reveals the truth about Zack/Cloud before it's meant to be revealed.

Sephiroth as a taunting presence, either through hallucination or magic, but not somebody you actually fight, works for this game, I think. If there's one thing that's good about this game just being Midgar, it's that it's going to give us the Nibelheim Flashback as a cold opening to the second game... y'know, the opening will be Cloud and Sephiroth fighting the dragon. That's a great opening, and also a great proper introduction to Sephiroth.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, where does this fit if this is just the Midgar chapter? If you do this, it really dampens the impact of the Sephiroth flashback - and reveals the truth about Zack/Cloud before it's meant to be revealed.

Sephiroth as a taunting presence, either through hallucination or magic, but not somebody you actually fight, works for this game, I think. If there's one thing that's good about this game just being Midgar, it's that it's going to give us the Nibelheim Flashback as a cold opening to the second game... y'know, the opening will be Cloud and Sephiroth fighting the dragon. That's a great opening, and also a great proper introduction to Sephiroth.
Yeah I feel playable Zack part would be great for the second game.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching several videos online about FF7R and lot's of folks are saying
that this game is not episodic.... I still don't get it.

If the game is not complete than is surly episodic, or part1, part2, whatever terminology you'd like to use.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching several videos online about FF7R and lot's of folks are saying

If the game is not complete than is surly episodic, or part1, part2, whatever terminology you'd like to use.
I think it's just semantics. These days when people talk about "episodic games", it's usually referring to shorter games (than normal $60 game) that release as a series.

This is the first definition that comes up in wikipedia

An episodic video game is a video game of a shorter length that is commercially released as an installment to a continuous and larger series. Episodic games differ from conventional video games in that they often contain less content but are developed on a more frequent basis.

If we go by this definition, FF7R doesn't really fit in since each game is a full-fledged game (at least that's what the devs are saying)

But if you consider episodic game as anything that doesn't tell the complete story in one game, then I guess you could say that.
I just don't like using the term "episodic" because a lot of people automatically assume it's shorter, smaller games.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Their point is that the game isn't "small episodes". They are full-fledged "games", which honestly is probably true considering that this first "game" has 2 blue ray discs. It's going to be large, but what exactly is taking up all that space? I want to guess that cut-scenes are the lionshare of what is taking up all that space (which, after FFXV, is totally fine by me). But hopefully Midgar is huge as well.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Anyone else been thinking about the E3 trailer showing an earlier motorcycle segment.. And with that, the shinra building exploration being in an earlier part of the game?

So you would be able to go into shinra way before the end of this games story ? Maybe you bust Red XIII out in a completely different part, earlier on somehow and

With this reimagining, for all we know.... Cloud can tell the story flash back at a different time.

However you are right, that sounds like a great opening to the second game as well.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else been thinking about the E3 trailer showing an earlier motorcycle segment.. And with that, the shinra building exploration being in an earlier part of the game?

So you would be able to go into shinra way before the end of this games story ? Maybe you bust Red XIII out in a completely different part, earlier on somehow and
I don't think the two are related. The motocycle segment in the trailer showed Cloud riding completely different bike, and it's completely difference scene to the one that was in the original game.
B292iYu.png

Bike Cloud is riding in the trailer

JxsxpPn.png

Hardy-Daytona in the remake.

Of course I am not ruling out that you might be able to go to the Shinra building earlier. I just don't think the bike sequence in the E3 trailer is any indication of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.