• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see some crawling around in ceiling vents snooping on meetings MGS style.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Forget that guy, let him get hit by a bus
1301776762592067731.gif

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a stage show at the Playstation booth

These are the titles Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia will feature stage events for at the PlayStation booth, which will be live streamed on YouTube and Twitch. A full schedule will be announced at a later date.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (SIE)
Death Stranding (SIE)
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Bandai Namco)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix)
Gran Turismo Sport (SIE)
Nioh 2 (Koei Tecmo)
Project Resistance (Capcom)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So is a stage show more than just trailers? Lengthier gameplay demonstrations aka Nintendo's Treehouse thing? I hope they don't just do the E3 demo a third time >_>;

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It can really be anything from developers just talking to trailers and demos. As the event gets closer there should be a description of what to expect.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Last stage event at AGC Hongkong was bunch of nothing new.... but this is TGS so we could see new stuff.
I expect Kitase to be there of course, but Nomura already confirmed he won't be at TGS.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I was going to say that I don't expect a repeat of E3/AGC, but I guess they haven't formally introduced the combat to the Japanese audience. In any case, I hope it's more than that.

There's plenty of things we don't know about the combat system (the stances -which seem to be quite different for every character and I don't think are necessarily going to be stances-, the summons, the Materia system, the combos, gear...), not to mention seeing characters other than Cloud extensively shown. Aerith seems interesting combat-wise, for instance (and she seems to now be a long range attacker).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Just remember these kind of shows are usually focused on the attendance at the event, and they usually assume these attendance really haven't seen anything floating around on the internet.
Even if we get new stuff, I would still expect a lot of repeats of already known info.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Just remember these kind of shows are usually focused on the attendance at the event, and they usually assume these attendance really haven't seen anything floating around on the internet.
Even if we get new stuff, I would still expect a lot of repeats of already known info.
Yeah, at this point I'm expecting roughly the same we got in English and Chinese but in Japanese.

All I need to see is the menus tbh. I want to see that blue and that white glove. Please be there.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, at this point I'm expecting roughly the same we got in English and Chinese but in Japanese.

All I need to see is the menus tbh. I want to see that blue and that white glove. Please be there.

I'm pretty sure we'll also get some new interviews with Nomura/Kitase where we will get some information.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I just need this bad boy:

I'm pretty sure we'll also get some new interviews with Nomura/Kitase where we will get some information.
Yeah, that's the usual with them when their game has a sizable presence, especially during TGS. With Famitsu, particularly (which is why I've been expecting a CG render of Rufus and the rest).

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I think it will have something news like KH3 on Sony stage show last year. Tai Yasue appear on Stage, this year will be Kitase

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If they are showing the Turks i hope they play the Shinra theme.

Man, some aspects of this game are going to be soooo suited to current times.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Reno is the sociopath he was in the original game instead of the gold-hearted jokester he was in AC.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Reno was a sociopath really (at least when working within the confines of an exaggerated piece of fiction). He was more just an indifferent asshole with a job to do.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They've gotten every other personality right so far (that brief "Help me!" moment of Aeris notwithstanding), and gone against post-FFVII (or pre) characterizations that people dislike. Not sure why they'd take a huge departure when it comes to Reno. If he'll do all the stuff he did in the original, I don't really see how an Axel-like personality would work.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Advent Children is two years later after a bunch of shit happened. The remake characters will be more like their original versions if what we've seen of Cloud and Barret is anything to go by. Remember that Cloud started as an asshole too.

Reno probably softened up after, y'know, Midgar got destroyed and he was no longer an assassin/kidnapper/black ops guy and forced to help rebuild

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Advent Children is two years later after a bunch of shit happened. The remake characters will be more like their original versions if what we've seen of Cloud and Barret is anything to go by. Remember that Cloud started as an asshole too.

Reno probably softened up after, y'know, Midgar got destroyed and he was no longer an assassin/kidnapper/black ops guy and forced to help rebuild
I do agree with this. I just think with Reno, considering his immense popularity and how they are expanding Midgar, I expect to see more of him and see a bit of that softer/goofy side more in Midgar compared to original... but obviously not Advent Children level.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You literally catch the Reno and Rude talking about which girl they want to get with.

Elena is tells the party where to go by accident and she rolls down a hill like a clown.

Tseng is the only one played kinda straight

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
You know they are going to base a lot of the characters off their Advent Children personalities?
I doubt it tbh. Or at least Cloud being a proper asshole that's not constantly mopey in the E3 footage has made think that way.

So far, they've nailed the tone and the mood of the characters, so I hope they keep doing that for everybody else. Or at least I hope they don't take away any creepiness these characters had and turn them into Benny Hill motherfuckers like AC.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That is amazing. But also, FUCK I'm out of town and can't watch live. Would've been the perfect time for me.

edit: Wait, no. Time would've been absolutely awful for me.

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
So I guess the trailer could release sometime between Tuesday-Friday and then, during Saturday (well, Friday in the US and other places), we'll have the live stage presentation.

Unlike Gamescom and Hong Kong, we're getting new footage for sure (the trailer), so it'd be weird if they do a repeat of E3 but for Japanese people.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess the trailer could release sometime between Tuesday-Friday and then, during Saturday (well, Friday in the US and other places), we'll have the live stage presentation.

Unlike Gamescom and Hong Kong, we're getting new footage for sure (the trailer), so it'd be weird if they do a repeat of E3 but for Japanese people.
Well, unless they have Jump Festa, there's not that many big game shows between TGS and FFVII's release early next year (by next E3, it's already going to be out). So I'm expecting TGS to be a BIG showing and from here on out, steady info release until the game's release.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
I wouldn't say Reno was a sociopath really (at least when working within the confines of an exaggerated piece of fiction). He was more just an indifferent asshole with a job to do.

Yeah, the Turks were definitely more amoral than immoral. Just guns for hire with some slapstick humor thrown in. They were protective of their own, at least, considering they went out of their way to rescue Elena and helped the team get Yuffie back from Don Corneo.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Well, unless they have Jump Festa, there's not that many big game shows between TGS and FFVII's release early next year (by next E3, it's already going to be out). So I'm expecting TGS to be a BIG showing and from here on out, steady info release until the game's release.
Yeah, in terms of them getting exposure in Japan and outside, this is the last big thing (well, there's The Game Awards, but they don't allow for this kind of format they can get here, it'd just be a trailer there).

Crazy that it's been four months since they rerevealed this whole thing (and three since E3). Hope they deliver.
Huh, I didn't really have a probably w/ Advent's Reno. What didn't you like about him (other than being a bit too j-pop-ish)?
Yeah, one reason would be his design, as petty as that is tbh. In the original, he looked quite creepy and not conventionally attractive (admittedly, mostly in his battle model; not as much in the concept art). In AC he's really no different than your average shonen MC in terms of attractiveness.

Beyond that, I'm fine with him being a comical kind of character, but the game did take a different approach, whereas his AC demeanour is more of a physical comedy lovable goon thing (like, really over the top physical comedy iirc), which, along with his whole attitude (like making the same shocked expression over and over iirc or his very exaggerated body language), having received the pretty anime boy treatment and J-Pop mannerisms reeked of them wanting him to be a hearthrob kind of character (like Axel later on was).

I don't like acting as such a hater lol, but I just really dislike about every aspect of AC. Now, it's been ages, so maybe I'd appreciate it a tiny bit more now, including stuff like Reno.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, one reason would be his design, as petty as that is tbh. In the original, he looked quite creepy and not conventionally attractive (admittedly, mostly in his battle model; not as much in the concept art). In AC he's really no different than your average shonen MC in terms of attractiveness.

Beyond that, I'm fine with him being a comical kind of character, but the game did take a different approach, whereas his AC demeanour is more of a physical comedy lovable goon thing (like, really over the top physical comedy iirc), which, along with his whole attitude (like making the same shocked expression over and over iirc or his very exaggerated body language), having received the pretty anime boy treatment and J-Pop mannerisms reeked of them wanting him to be a hearthrob kind of character (like Axel later on was).

I don't like acting as such a hater lol, but I just really dislike about every aspect of AC. Now, it's been ages, so maybe I'd appreciate it a tiny bit more now, including stuff like Reno.
Nah, I get what you mean. Reno went from this super mysterious, intimidating, and aloof spy to just aloof by the time AC hit. I felt like by the end of the main game, everyone took him less seriously (especially compared to the bigger bad guy) so they really hammered the cool/lazy version of him in AC. I'm hoping he's as weird and scrawny looking as he is in the official art.

750px-Turks.jpg

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Nah, I get what you mean. Reno went from this super mysterious, intimidating, and aloof spy to just aloof by the time AC hit. I felt like by the end of the main game, everyone took him less seriously (especially compared to the bigger bad guy) so they really hammered the cool/lazy version of him in AC. I'm hoping he's as weird and scrawny looking as he is in the official art.

750px-Turks.jpg
I honestly have high hopes after E3 showed us what tone of the game would have. And now that you mention how his perception changed in VII, seeing the evolution of the characters in a trilogy or so could be very interesting, especially the bad guys like Rufus or the Turks. We've already had glimpses at the AVALANCHE members having a deeper characterization, after all. Like, I expect guys like Dyne and so having a more elaborate presence.

In any case, if we don't get a CG render of Rufus and the rest like in the concept art you posed next week might as well cancel the game though. I want to see that Visual Works magic.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen two things that seemed out of character compared to the original (North American) release so far: Aerith freaking out from the spirits and asking Cloud for help (not exactly unreasonable even if we think of Aerith as the confident & spunky girl she was, and we don't know the full context), and Heidegger (so far) being pretty serious and low-key.

That's pretty much been it, so I'm not really worried that they'll turn Reno into some kind of AC caricature.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
Spoke to some friends today who were hyped about this remake even though they never played the original. I talked to them a bit about the Midgar stuff and how people are unsure whether that's enough for a 'Part 1'. That had them concerned but then I talked a bit about the environmental message about the game and they thought that sounded really cool.

But then they were also wary because they were also hyped for KH3 and stopped playing around Frozen world lol. Let's hope this turns out better

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Been replaying the original again recently and man the Junon Weapon attack is something I can't wait to see. It's still awesome in the original.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
What if the Advance Game Special demo is the long one they showed behind the scenes? 🤔

Although even if it's 45 minutes long and the public demo is way shorter, they can still fill that time up while interviewing/debating/restarting the demo.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Been replaying the original again recently and man the Junon Weapon attack is something I can't wait to see. It's still awesome in the original.

I do wonder how the Weapon battles will be handled. I worry they'll just be huge spectacle things with QTEs. I did hear a cool idea that I think could work if it was mixed with lots of action and dodging - using multiple casts of Mini to shrink them down to FFXV Iron Giant size.

Status
Not open for further replies.