• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
That sequence was very special and creepy to me for two reasons

The fact that we hadn't seen Sephiroth yet.
&
This

Not sure how they're gonna handle that sequence in the remake. I would have really wanted them to not show Sephiroth in the first game, but that's just my opinion. This is not a 1-1 Remake so who knows what's gonna happen.

I just like the fact that Square put John Carpenters alien from The Thing and made it the central antagonist. Not an evil emperor, not a demon, a shapeshifting biological life from that absorbs others and turns them into its slaves. When you think about it, this game has more in common with a sci fi horror flick then a typical fantasy story. Even outside of Midgar, you see some of the failed cronenberg experiments roaming the world. IT really was never just about some blonde spikey haired dude fighting a silver haired anime killer. Not to mention, most of the time you fight Sephiroth, it's not him but Jenova taking the appearance of him and mutating into a grotesque freaky monster thing. It's just after playing the compilation, I think the developers forgot what made FF7 unique and special so I apologize if I seem a bit critical.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I just like the fact that Square put John Carpenters alien from The Thing and made it the central antagonist. Not an evil emperor, not a demon, a shapeshifting biological life from that absorbs others and turns them into its slaves. When you think about it, this game has more in common with a sci fi horror flick then a typical fantasy story. Even outside of Midgar, you see some of the failed cronenberg experiments roaming the world. IT really was never just about some blonde spikey haired dude fighting a silver haired anime killer. Not to mention, most of the time you fight Sephiroth, it's not him but Jenova taking the appearance of him and mutating into a grotesque freaky monster thing. It's just after playing the compilation, I think the developers forgot what made FF7 unique and special so I apologize if I seem a bit critical.
I don't expect this to happen (especially since post-FF7 media has done a lot less to leave it up to the player to figure out whether it's Jenova or Sephiroth in control of things, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the assorted Jenova fragments temporarily taking Sephiroth's shape just be... battles against Sephiroth).

But.

I'd love it if this remake would lean in on the body horror angle and take some inspiration from Parasite Eve when it comes to basic body horror stuff, even while it has to aim for a T rating instead of an M.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Hell House is the deciding variable here. If that thing makes the cut, anything is possible in the remake ;)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect this to happen (especially since post-FF7 media has done a lot less to leave it up to the player to figure out whether it's Jenova or Sephiroth in control of things, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the assorted Jenova fragments temporarily taking Sephiroth's shape just be... battles against Sephiroth).

But.

I'd love it if this remake would lean in on the body horror angle and take some inspiration from Parasite Eve when it comes to basic body horror stuff, even while it has to aim for a T rating instead of an M.
I'm Crossing my fingers for a M rating, its rated pending for now

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the game's early plans JENOVA was going to be a renegade part of the human genes instead of an extraterrestrial being, so yeah the connection to Parasite Eve makes a lot of sense.

Lavos, JENOVA, and Mitochondria Eve are pretty much all variants of the same entity.

Oct 25, 2017
If they do that, I will be pretty disappointed. I loved the alien look to them.
images

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

I sure hope they get Tifa and Aeris right because the changes to Jessie I'm not a fan of. She liked Cloud in the original but every time I see her talking I'm like "cool so she's just cheerful waifu set to die #28979879"

That sequence was very special and creepy to me for two reasons

The fact that we hadn't seen Sephiroth yet.
&
This

Not sure how they're gonna handle that sequence in the remake. I would have really wanted them to not show Sephiroth in the first game, but that's just my opinion. This is not a 1-1 Remake so who knows what's gonna happen.

This is where I'm at. I would have wanted them not to show Sephiroth at all but at this point I have to distance myself from the original. If they botch the big scenes like that one though I'm going to be super depressed that all the nuance and slow parts of the original are gone. Even when the creepy music continued while you were fighting it helped nail down what was happening and I don't know if they're going to take it that direction.

But.

Same. I really want the scifi horror angles to stay in and it not just be more Advent Children nonsense where we're just building up to Cloud vs Sephiroth.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
"No Part 1 in title?!?! False advertising! Preorder cancelled/returned!"

Look, people ain't gonna give a fuckity-fuck come March.
The game will drop with a 92 meta, people will be digging into Midgar, and then holding their empty bowls out for the second game... stars in their eyes!

I, for one, greatly look forward to the inevitable "I was SO wrong about FFVIIR" post by PlanetSmasher. 😉
Are you serious with this

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So it's TGS week. I wonder when they will drop the FFVIIR trailer....
Unless they drop it early before actual TGS starts, I assume it would go up in the morning of the 12th...

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
No one is screaming false advertising or saying they're going to cancel their preorder though. No one is even saying the game is going to be bad (well, maybe PlanetSmasher was, I haven't read all of the posts). I'm really looking forward to it and I don't mind it just being Midgar (I've been in plenty of threads arguing for, basically, the need to do this in parts).

It's just misleading if they aren't going to put it clearly on the box that it's part 1 considering the title is "Final Fantasy VII Remake". We can argue about how many people will be affected by it, but it's childish and defensive as fuck to make a response like that where you basically lie about what people are saying and respond with a strawman that the game will do well and get a high metacritic which has nothing to do with anything lol

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, unless there's something obviously wrong with it, it's difficult for me to imagine it getting lower than a 91.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The potential source for negative reviews are:

-part 1 only being Midgar (regardless of game's length)
-some reviewers not liking new additions to the story (like the Keepers of Fate stuff)

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

-some reviewers not liking new additions to the story (like the Keepers of Fate stuff)

We don't know the full story to.....

Sorry. It is Nomura it is going to be on some wacky adventures stuff.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
"No Part 1 in title?!?! False advertising! Preorder cancelled/returned!"

Who is even talking about cancelling their pre-orders? Obviously everyone here gets that this only covers the first part of the story, the concern is about whether or not the more casual gamers having a game from the store will understand, as the title is misleading and the blurb is not as straightforward as it could be.

No one is screaming false advertising or saying they're going to cancel their preorder though. No one is even saying the game is going to be bad (well, maybe PlanetSmasher was, I haven't read all of the posts). I'm really looking forward to it and I don't mind it just being Midgar (I've been in plenty of threads arguing for, basically, the need to do this in parts).

It's just misleading if they aren't going to put it clearly on the box that it's part 1 considering the title is "Final Fantasy VII Remake". We can argue about how many people will be affected by it, but it's childish and defensive as fuck to make a response like that where you basically lie about what people are saying and respond with a strawman that the game will do well and get a high metacritic which has nothing to do with anything lol

This.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Now that you guys mention it, Sephiroth not showing up in the game would me amazing. That buildup.
I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Sephiroth will show up quite a bit. Especially when they've already shown him in a trailer, even if it was just a hallucination.

At least it's highly unlikely that we'll fight him.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Sephiroth will show up quite a bit. Especially when they've already shown him in a trailer, even if it was just a hallucination.

I think he'll appear in brief moments when Cloud is having one of those moments. They can keep him out of the spotlight if they really want.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I think he'll appear in brief moments when Cloud is having one of those moments. They can keep him out of the spotlight if they really want.
You know they're not going to. He's been extremely prevalent throughout the material, and we've seen his full design in a trailer that shows the earlier parts of Midgar. They're not showing restraint.

Knowing the types of games Nomura makes, they're going to embellish his "rivalry" with Cloud. I don't think there's really anything there between the two to begin with if you look at the original game. I think it's going to be a big focus in this game.

I don't think they're going to go for that mysterious angle like they did with the original. If they try to, it won't be as effective at least. I think they know that everybody knows Sephiroth now so they don't feel like they have a reason to hold back. The remake's definitely being made with long-time fans in mind, but we'll probably lose a bit of what made the original great in the process.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean much. He was featured in a lot of the original promotional materials too. He is the main villain after all. Speaking of...

images

When are we gonna get this scene remade with updated models? Before or after Episode 2?
But that was for the full game. He is the main villain for FF7 for sure, but for the part 1 of the remake that only takes place in Midgar?
I think what people are saying is he will show up a lot more in the Midgar part of FF7 then he originally did (which I am completely fine with personally)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping they just use him when Clouds having his seizures. I think it's a good way to have him there for fans who are expecting him

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
But that was for the full game. He is the main villain for FF7 for sure, but for the part 1 of the remake that only takes place in Midgar?
I think what people are saying is he will show up a lot more in the Midgar part of FF7 then he originally did (which I am completely fine with personally)

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean now. Hadn't thought about that. I just assumed the marketing would be building up his position as antagonist more so than the game itself since he isn't revealed as a threat until the end of the Shinra Tower sequence. We'll see, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
You know they're not going to. He's been extremely prevalent throughout the material, and we've seen his full design in a trailer that shows the earlier parts of Midgar. They're not showing restraint.

Knowing the types of games Nomura makes, they're going to embellish his "rivalry" with Cloud. I don't think there's really anything there between the two to begin with if you look at the original game. I think it's going to be a big focus in this game.

I don't think they're going to go for that mysterious angle like they did with the original. If they try to, it won't be as effective at least. I think they know that everybody knows Sephiroth now so they don't feel like they have a reason to hold back. The remake's definitely being made with long-time fans in mind, but we'll probably lose a bit of what made the original great in the process.
While I do appreciate that the remake is having long-time fans in mind, what about the new fans? Kids who haven't grew up with FF7, our current generation. Shouldn't they experience the suspense and thrills we had to go through when playing the game young? I feel that removing a lot of those elements kinds of ruins the atmosphere and story of the game. By showing him early, people already expect he's going to stir up shit at Shinra, especially when you get in-prisoned. Answer me this, did Nomura have a large part of creating the story for the original?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

I could see an IGN review lamenting that they didn't change enough(depending on who gets to review it).

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Considering part 1 is just Midgard, it should mean lots more Avalanche. My favourite part is seeing more Jessie <3

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Considering part 1 is just Midgard, it should mean lots more Avalanche. My favourite part is seeing more Jessie <3
I always felt Midgar was incredibly rushed (more from a "I think the things happening here and the characters interacting with what is the most important city in the world deserve much more time" perspective than a pacing-related one), so, while I'm still a bit concerned about how they're going to pace themselves in this first game (and not too happy about having to wait however many years for the second installment), I'm very excited about this expansion.

Anything that happens with and to AVALANCHE now is going to be much more impactful and built up. I liked them quite a lot in the original (especially Jessie as well), but they had little character, really. Very stoked about seeing more of them, loving their renditions so far.

Maybe even having their own personal "missions" (optional or not) where you get to know them better as Cloud. I honestly think the bike chase we saw might be one of them, rather than the Bombing Run escape:
IkiLGyy.jpg

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt Midgar was incredibly rushed (more from a "I think the things happening here and the characters interacting with what is the most important city in the world deserve much more time" perspective than a pacing-related one), so, while I'm still a bit concerned about how they're going to pace themselves in this first game (and not too happy about having to wait however many years for the second installment), I'm very excited about this expansion.

Anything that happens with and to AVALANCHE now is going to be much more impactful and built up. I liked them quite a lot in the original (especially Jessie as well), but they had little character, really. Very stoked about seeing more of them, loving their renditions so far.

Maybe even having their own personal "missions" (optional or not) where you get to know them better as Cloud. I honestly think the bike chase we saw might be one of them, rather than the Bombing Run escape:
IkiLGyy.jpg

Will be great practice at the bike before the end of the game haha :P

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a confirmed (or assumed) time for when the next trailer hits?
No. It will be either

-When TGS starts. They usually post the trailers in the morning of the first day(12th Japan time).
-Saving up the trailer for the Sony stage event on Saturday.
-some random time Nomura feel like.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unless JENOVA taking his form is the final boss of Part 1. I would prefer Rufus Shinra as the final boss, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.