• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought Red looked a little off in AC. Certainly not a huge deviation like some of the other characters, but not entirely like his original design either.

I think the main thing was that he just looked kind of chunky, which is probably down to trying to make him fit within a realistic setting. His fur was also really dark, but that's because AC has a really bland colour palette.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I always thought Red looked a little off in AC. Certainly not a huge deviation like some of the other characters, but not entirely like his original design either.

I think the main thing was that he just looked kind of chunky, which is probably down to trying to make him fit within a realistic setting. His fur was also really dark, but that's because AC has a really bland colour palette.

I could certainly see him being more colourful in this, for no other reason than the fact that the game is more colourful.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017

IMO pretty much everyone looked off in AC....

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit they showed a lot! Turks! Aerith in a red dress! Mini games! Sun light! I'm fucking hyped and I need to sleep!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but doesn't Red not appear until after the party leaves Midgar? Why are people expecting to see him?

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I won't lie the new Reno voice is throwing me way off. Also new soldier looks kinda cocky. Soldier confirmed to be a bunch of Zacks.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Christ that was an excellent trailer. The gym minigames made me gasp, and the action was amazing, especially those summons.

Something I was thinking of - what, in your opinions, are the chances of Noctis's warp-throw powers possibly being included in FFVIIR via materia? My friend, who had never played an FF game until FFXV - which he loves - is now planning on getting FFVIIR day one. I've explained to him in detail how the combat systems will likely be quite different, but I wonder if they might make some effort to add a bit of FFXV style for people like him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Christ that was an excellent trailer. The gym minigames made me gasp, and the action was amazing, especially those summons.

Something I was thinking of - what, in your opinions, are the chances of Noctis's warp-throw powers possibly being included in FFVIIR via materia? My friend, who had never played an FF game until FFXV - which he loves - is now planning on getting FFVIIR day one. I've explained to him in detail how the combat systems will likely be quite different, but I wonder if they might make some effort to add a bit of FFXV style for people like him.

I think they probably won't do that because warp-strike is so SPECIFIC to Noctis, it would be like taking away one character's shtick and making it into a gimmick for everybody. But there may be something similar like a teleport dodge passive-effect materia.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

vs

JIBQHM5.png

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Looks great, have to admit I'm a little unsure about Reno's VA too but I'll give it a chance. Guess they're keeping the crossdressing scene under wraps until release which is good.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So the new blonde SOLDIER character...I'm guessing he'll be a major recurring anatagonist and would put my money down on him being the final boss. He's gonna hunt you throughout the game and just when you destroyed Motor Ball and wanna leave he shows up for one final showdown.
The game needs some kind of big bad for you to face that has a presence throughout the game that isn't THE big bad (i.e. Sephiroth).
I think this guy is how they tackle the question of who you'll fight at the end.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think they probably won't do that because warp-strike is so SPECIFIC to Noctis, it would be like taking away one character's shtick and making it into a gimmick for everybody. But there may be something similar like a teleport dodge passive-effect materia.

I was actually thinking of a pair of materia connected by magic, where you have to put one into your armour and one into a melee weapon (I suppose only Cloud, Yuffie, Cid and maybe Cait Sith could use it, other characters would get something else), and that would allow for the warp-strike.

Fair point on it being pretty specific to Noctis, though they were still cool with the characters in Kingsglaive using it. I suppose it would come down to how much they want to appeal to FFXV's recent converts.

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So the new blonde SOLDIER character...I'm guessing he'll be a major recurring anatagonist and would put my money down on him being the final boss. He's gonna hunt you throughout the game and just when you destroyed Motor Ball and wanna leave he shows up for one final showdown.
The game needs some kind of big bad for you to face that has a presence throughout the game that isn't THE big bad (i.e. Sephiroth).
I think this guy is how they tackle the question of who you'll fight at the end.
I'm expecting him to just be a throwaway boss fight that they're putting in to one of the new sections of the game.

We already fought members of SOLDIER in the original, but they were just generic faceless enemies. This at least gives them some small amount of personality and makes them feel like a more substantial threat rather than just another generic enemy.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Agreed, and I'm pretty good with that - throwing down with a "normal" 1st-Class SOLDIER wasn't really in the original game, when it should've been. There was a 1st-class SOLDIER enemy but it doesn't really fit with their more unique appearances like in Crisis Core and whatnot - it's just a stronger Shinra grunt.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Nvm i don't know how twitter works.

So is that actually Mark Hamill as Corneo? Any confirmations?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Just taking shots here, but seems like Shinra is going to use Avalanche as a justification to rally their people against more war with Wutai by claiming them as Allies and maybe blaming the plate drop on Wutai by proxy instead of solely an act of terrorism by Avalanche?

Don't think that was ever a thing in the original.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just taking shots here, but seems like Shinra is going to use Avalanche as a justification to rally their people against more war with Wutai by claiming them as Allies and maybe blaming the plate drop on Wutai by proxy instead of solely an act of terrorism by Avalanche?

Huh? Where are you getting the Wutai connection.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Shinra literally claims them as allies of Wutai during the hologram speech
Oh now I can hear it. Was literally not intelligible to me before you said it. I heard Heideggar mention their role but just assumed it was the standard terrorist plot from the original.

"Now then Avalanche, henceforth allies of wicked(?) Wutai, our sworn enemy"

lol that is a weird angle to take. Why bother when the normal terrorism angle was sensible enough.

President Shinra "accuses" them of being Wutai collaborators, but in the sense that he knows its not true. That's "their role in all this". They're being played so Shinra can use them as scapegoats.
Yeah but they did that in the original anyway, just using them as terrorist scapegoats to blame the plate collapse on. I wonder why this Wutai connection is needed.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
New soldier will be Kunsel here to avenge Zack form the guy who obviously killed him and took his sword.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Why do I have a horrible feeling that they cut the crossdressing from the wall market sequence? I feel like you'll go through the same motions, but it'll be to dress up Aerith to infiltrate Corneo's mansion, then Cloud will just bust in when she's in trouble.

Cloud being in normal clothes in front of the mansion while Aerith is in the dress with fireworks going off in the background just makes me think that's the conclusion of that sequence

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Aerith looked beautiful, and the look Cloud gives her. CHILLS! I can't believe how emotional this trailer made me, lol.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I have a horrible feeling that they cut the crossdressing from the wall market sequence? I feel like you'll go through the same motions, but it'll be to dress up Aerith to infiltrate Corneo's mansion, then Cloud will just bust in when she's in trouble.

Cloud being in normal clothes in front of the mansion while Aerith is in the dress with fireworks going off in the background just makes me think that's the conclusion of that sequence

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
Can anyone predict at this point just how much of the FF7 story this particular release will cover?

It's no secret that they plan the FF7 Remake project to be episodic in nature, but I'm concerned it's gonna be dragged out over the course of several years before the whole story will be covered, and it's clear from all the coverage so far that this particular release will cover the 'Midgar Saga'.

At which point will the lifetime of the FF7 Remake project overlap with the PS5 lifetime? Is it maybe even worth waiting for some collectors set which will contain all the episodes?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Yeah but they did that in the original anyway, just using them as terrorist scapegoats to blame the plate collapse on. I wonder why this Wutai connection is needed.
What's really weird is at this point and time Wutai war ended back when Zack was still a thing and it has been occupied for a long while. The only way this makes sense is if there's some weird reason they want to make Wutai a bigger plot point which still seems weird to me.

At this point using Wutai as a "scapegoat" is like using Germany to explain American Terrorism way after World War II ended. It seems like a really weird bit of world building that sounded good in theory but doesn't really measure up unless they've changed the entire geopolitical landscape of Midgar.

It also makes it way more "over the top bad guy" than Shinra and stuff was. They don't need to have a tv broadcast with the audience going "THESE FOUL VILLAINS ALLIES OF THE BADMEN" when they control all television and have the entire city under control at this time. Even in the original you could watch the tv stuff and they already call them a terrorist group, any other political motivations are completely unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.