• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
The only way the Wutai connection makes sense to me is if Shinra is using it to disguise Avalanche's real motives for attacking them. It'd be easier to manipulate the public into believing they were just some small group of resistance fighters from Wutai than environmentalists and still have Shinra come out in a positive light.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Anyone else disappointed with the Turks Theme version of the trailer? It completely lost the shady and sleazy tone of the original... :(
I'm definitely a little worried about the soundtrack. It seems like they're making the music a lot more industrial rock-oriented in general, taking away from the vibe of some of the original tracks. Hoping this is just to make the trailers more exciting.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone predict at this point just how much of the FF7 story this particular release will cover?

It's no secret that they plan the FF7 Remake project to be episodic in nature, but I'm concerned it's gonna be dragged out over the course of several years before the whole story will be covered, and it's clear from all the coverage so far that this particular release will cover the 'Midgar Saga'.

At which point will the lifetime of the FF7 Remake project overlap with the PS5 lifetime? Is it maybe even worth waiting for some collectors set which will contain all the episodes?
We know that this first part will cover all of Midgar, more than likely ending right before you leave.

It's 100% going to take several years to have all the parts out, the most generous timeline is probably 3 years per game with it being 6 years before the last part is out. As a result the only part of the Remake that we'll see on current gen is the first part, and then part 2 onward will be on next gen.
I bet they use this connection as the excuse to make getting Yuffie mandatory.
This is what I'm thinking. Shinra branding Avalanche as allies of Wutai is likely going to tie into fleshing out Wutai village and Yuffie in subsequent parts.

At this point it's probably nothing more than putting the name in the players minds and providing a bit of background information about the Wutai war.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Currently in a feedback loop of wanting to see more but also wanting to go media blackout

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
I'll bet that SOLDIER guy will be the jobber of this game; all flash and taken out like a punk. At least I hope.

I noticed that during the Ifrit part, he has his own gauge above the party's. Seems like the summons will fight alongside of you?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It would be a shame IMO if they made Yuffie/Vincent mandatory, part of the charm was that you could finish the game never having them in your party. I feel like games don't do stuff like that much anymore, have secrets that aren't just hidden collectibles. I understand though that if they make a ton of story and program all that stuff, they are going to want it to be seen.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It would be a shame IMO if they made Yuffie/Vincent mandatory, part of the charm was that you could finish the game never having them in your party. I feel like games don't do stuff like that much anymore, have secrets that aren't just hidden collectibles. I understand though that if they make a ton of story and program all that stuff, they are going to want it to be seen.
They are a 100% going to be mandatory. But I'm sure there'll be other secrets

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
We know that this first part will cover all of Midgar, more than likely ending right before you leave.

It's 100% going to take several years to have all the parts out, the most generous timeline is probably 3 years per game with it being 6 years before the last part is out. As a result the only part of the Remake that we'll see on current gen is the first part, and then part 2 onward will be on next gen.

Agreed that everything following part 1 will be on next-gen (which is how I want it, design them around Zen2 CPUs and SSDs), but I actually don't think it will necessarily take 3 years for each part. We don't know how many there will be exactly, but if the final part starts just after Meteor is summoned, it would require very little in the way of new assets/environments being created. I could see 2 years for the final part, with the 1 or 2 covering the various locations of the world taking longer.

They simply have to make them mandatory, because if they didn't they'd need to make like 4 versions of every cutscene and they wouldn't end up doing much. Hopefully they don't just become mandatory, but are also more important to the story.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed that everything following part 1 will be on next-gen (which is how I want it, design them around Zen2 CPUs and SSDs), but I actually don't think it will necessarily take 3 years for each part. We don't know how many there will be exactly, but if the final part starts just after Meteor is summoned, it would require very little in the way of new assets/environments being created. I could see 2 years for the final part, with the 1 or 2 covering the various locations of the world taking longer.
For a game of this size and with how damn expensive part 1 looks I honestly feel like even 3 years is being generous. 3 years is a pretty quick turn around for a AAA game these days and given that future parts will be on next gen who knows what their development pipeline will be like by then.

If we assume that there's only 3 parts I could certainly see the final part having the shortest gap between releases though. The big challenge for Part 2 is going to be figuring out and implementing the open world which is something that will obviously carry forward and trim down development time somewhat for Part 3.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
For a game of this size and with how damn expensive part 1 looks I honestly feel like even 3 years is being generous. 3 years is a pretty quick turn around for a AAA game these days and given that future parts will be on next gen who knows what their development pipeline will be like by then.

I was thinking about how they already have the engine and gameplay systems set up (and it doesn't seem like the jump to PS5 will be very complex this time), plus the fact that it seems that the SSD is probably going to help with speedy development. It'll be easier when they don't have to work around HDD speeds. That said:

If we assume that there's only 3 parts I could certainly see the final part having the shortest gap between releases though. The big challenge for Part 2 is going to be figuring out and implementing the open world which is something that will obviously carry forward and trim down development time somewhat for Part 3.

You're quite right about the open-world complications. I do hope the SSD and procedural generation can help with that (like, maybe they can give an AI the basic map shape and it can make a basic land mass to build on, I know they already have AIs that can create and render basic cities from scratch). Part 2 is still going to be huge, but I really do think there will be 4 parts. Originally I assumed a trilogy where Part 1 would end at Junon and Part 2 ended at the Northern Crater, but now that Part 1 is only Midgar, I simply cannot see only 2 more parts. The final game should still begin after the Meteor summoning, but the idea of building everything from Kalm to the Northern Crater in 1:1 in a single game is ludicrous. That journey would need to be two games, and I feel like the first could comfortably end on the discovery of Nibelheim (though Cosmo Canyon might need some serious expansion).

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the gameplay.

One thing I hope they change is Baretts attack. Its being used like a sword attack. So you press to swing, or in this case, press to shoot. But the shooting only lasts for a second. So there is this start and stop to it that looks REAL ANNOYING.

It should be able to hold in the button to continuously attack. If they want to balance it, let his gun overheat if you hold it in for too long or something.

The way it is now with you having to press the button constantly looks like it feels wrong.

edit: Nevermind, the eurogamer girl was playing it wrong lol. Checked other previews and it looked fine.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So the Watchers of Fate were all over the place in that trailer. Guess they really are going to be something big in this.

Hope they aren't just following Sephs orders or something

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
some new info from TGS pamphlet.

-For summons, you can equip summon materia to use in certain battles
-Summons fight automatically, but you can also give commands for special abilities
-there is materia growth system.

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/23916

Sounds like it's pretty much the usual approach they take with summons then. Wonder if they'll tie it to the Limit gauge instead of ATB.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet that SOLDIER guy will be the jobber of this game; all flash and taken out like a punk. At least I hope.

I noticed that during the Ifrit part, he has his own gauge above the party's. Seems like the summons will fight alongside of you?
Summons that fight alongside your entire party (instead of dismissing some or all of your party) is what they should have done in 12 and 13. Sounds absolutely great to me.

Banned

Nov 10, 2017
man I'm loving everything about this remake , all the changes, music, new characters etc. I can't wait for march!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
some new info from TGS pamphlet.

-For summons, you can equip summon materia to use in certain battles
-Summons fight automatically, but you can also give commands for special abilities
-there is materia growth system.

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/23916
"certain battles" makes me think they aren't going to let you summon a big Alexander in a small elevator fight.

which would be lame.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
haha I mean it's to be expected when the summons aren't just a cutscene anymore.
I just don't want it to be like a FFXV or KH3 situation where the coolest ones are so restricted in their use they might as well not be in the game.

And the silly stuff that tends to happen when you use one way out of context is always a good thing.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want it to be like a FFXV or KH3 situation where the coolest ones are so restricted in their use they might as well not be in the game.

And the silly stuff that tends to happen when you use one way out of context is always a good thing.
I mean I hope the restriction is not as crazy as FFXV. I used summon like twice in my entire playthrough lol.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Just taking shots here, but seems like Shinra is going to use Avalanche as a justification to rally their people against more war with Wutai by claiming them as Allies and maybe blaming the plate drop on Wutai by proxy instead of solely an act of terrorism by Avalanche?

Don't think that was ever a thing in the original.
More likely it's just a way to (try to) turn the common folk to be against Avalanche. Wutai terrorists instead of rebels from within Midgar who are trying to save the planet.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Still not a fan of that boss music but I like the other music we've heard though I generally agree with the complaints of things being a bit too orchestrated. Hope we get a good variety of styles and stuff.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be bummed if all the music turns mostly orchestral/cinematic. :(

Talked about this earlier, but I really hope that isn't the case and they keep the original vibes of the different tracks. Oppressed People is one I really like to point out, because I dig the reggae/dub sound:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I hope the restriction is not as crazy as FFXV. I used summon like twice in my entire playthrough lol.
Some of the early shots of FFVII Remake had "Summon" as a permanent menu-command, IIRC. I don't think they are tying summons to limited elements in the environment. Probably will just have a "only one use per activated encounter without downtime between them"

Status
Not open for further replies.