• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Final Fantasy VII Remake is playable at the Sony booth at Brazil Game Show. The same demo as always though.

It's also going to be playable at PAX Aus over the next few days but I doubt I'll get to play it. This always goes the same way - they let the first batch of people in, a whole bunch run and make a line, and that's all the days spots taken. Last year I went right after my nightclub work and was there before anyone else, right at the front, and I still had to wait in the RE2 Remake line for 20-30 minutes.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also going to be playable at PAX Aus over the next few days but I doubt I'll get to play it. This always goes the same way - they let the first batch of people in, a whole bunch run and make a line, and that's all the days spots taken. Last year I went right after my nightclub work and was there before anyone else, right at the front, and I still had to wait in the RE2 Remake line for 20-30 minutes.

This actually happened at BGS. They let people reserve time to play the demo and in just a few minutes they were all gone. People are really thirsty for this game

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

At 38:55, this designer/artist critiques FF7:R's location design (midgar) and provides some interesting comments. He also shows his own vision for certain parts of Midgar. I personally think FF7:R looks perfect as is but I still enjoyed this thoughtful video.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
Impressive work. I would agree that the remake doesn't look quite as idiosyncratic as the original.

A similar issue has also been raised with the NPCs. We haven't seen many of the punkish and outlandish-looking NPCs that populated the original Midgar so far. Hopefully we'll still get to see those kind of colourful and unique individuals in the final game.

---------

Also, for anyone who missed it:

Interesting theory about that Guardians of Fate scene, though I can see some being put-off by the use of that trope.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game needs to focus on Shinra. In the original game, the Midgar part was all about Avalanche vs Shinra; Sephiroth wasn't even important, and he wasn't even shown. He got mentioned once by President Shinra, and the next time he comes into play is when you see the corpse of President Shinra. The remake should respect that. I already don't like that Sephiroth is appearing in Cloud's mind to taunt him.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
The game needs to focus on Shinra. In the original game, the Midgar part was all about Avalanche vs Shinra; Sephiroth wasn't even important, and he wasn't even shown. He got mentioned once by President Shinra, and the next time he comes into play is when you see the corpse of President Shinra. The remake should respect that. I already don't like that Sephiroth is appearing in Cloud's mind to taunt him.
I can understand that. One of the aspects that made Sephiroth memorable was how he was slowly built-up, almost like a horror-story villian. Knowing he doesn't play a big part in the Midgar section, it does appear Square got worried and decided to rewrite his introduction. Hopefuly the change plays out great but I don't think it would have been too bad leaving him out until part two. He could even have been a selling point for the second game! But fanboys gotta squee now so screw the long-game.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

here in this video we can hear the opening bombing mission music, the last time they used was in the PSX 2015 afaik

so the musics we heard are

final fantasy vii theme
final fantasy prelude theme
2 versions of fighting (normal and minigame)
turks theme
new music
bombing mission
2 versions of makor reactor

i'm missing something?

edit: i should read the entire page

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess who's going to MCM Comic Con this month? FUCKIN ME!

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Would have gone had it been announced an appropriate amount of time before it was actually due to start. This is not enough notice :/

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

025_o.jpg

026_o.jpg

027_o.jpg

024_o.jpg

023_o.jpg

022_o.jpg

020_o.jpg

021_o.jpg

Tifa and Aerith look perfect.

I'm liking how sharp and bony , Cloud's face looks here. He looks very Link-esque.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get that feeling that Red XIII won't be playable till part 2. Think I need to crawl into the fetal position for a while.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When every installment of the complete remake is out, do you think they will keep it as separate apps (for digital releases)? Or will it eventually be combined into one, so you don't have to constantly go in and out of the PS5/ Scarlett UI?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
When every installment of the complete remake is out, do you think they will keep it as separate apps (for digital releases)? Or will it eventually be combined into one, so you don't have to constantly go in and out of the PS5/ Scarlett UI?
Unless they release separate complete pack or something, I don't see it happening.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The only way for this to happen is if they release a collection for FF VII Remake like they did for the KH games where you could just select the game you want to play from the start menu.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Starting to get that feeling that Red XIII won't be playable till part 2. Think I need to crawl into the fetal position for a while.

I still have faith. We've already seen almost everything up until the pillar collapse, save for anything they add before, and a little bit of the Shinra Building of Cloud running around. No Red XIII would be disappointing, and I'm pretty sure Square knows this: the Twitch stream for TGS was filled with people shouting for a reveal.

I'm more worried about this game not lasting more than 12-15 hours.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
when do you guys think is the next media blow out for this game?

Game Awards? Jump Festa?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
At this point I'd be ok with no more media blow outs, unless it's a blow out that gives an idea of the structure of this game. Like is it like Crisis Core, how you went on missions in that game and returned to Shinra HQ and stuff but now it's Seventh Heaven

The whole vibe I'm getting is still of a short-ish linear ARPG, rather than a massive JRPG like VII was. Which isn't necessarily bad but I'd like to know where to set expectations

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd be ok with no more media blow outs, unless it's a blow out that gives an idea of the structure of this game. Like is it like Crisis Core, how you went on missions in that game and returned to Shinra HQ and stuff but now it's Seventh Heaven

The whole vibe I'm getting is still of a short-ish linear ARPG, rather than a massive JRPG like VII was. Which isn't necessarily bad but I'd like to know where to set expectations

A shor-linear ARPG that takes 2 blu-rays of data.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who wouldn't say that? Still a dumb argument. Might as well say FFXIII's 4-discs on 360 was a testament to its wealth of content

It's not dumb. That's what they say, they expanded the game so much that they managed to fill 2 blu-ray disc. This is an statement of big content, since they indeed use it as a reason.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
In all fairness, Cloud's hearing voices and having mini-seizures right from the first bombing mission, Sephiroth is mentioned in a flashback as soon as you meet Tifa, and Cloud is clearly specifically hearing Sephiroth's voice during the Pillar mission.

I agree that it shouldn't be the major focus of this part of the game - fleshing out Shinra's villainy (and showing more of the company's various executives, Hojo, the Turks, et cetera) is what this segment of the story is and should be about. But there's plenty of Sephiroth teasing well outside the interactions with President Shinra.

I hope we don't see much of him, but I think it's justifiable to show him a *little* bit. I hope they're tasteful about it, though, and keep it largely to just a small amount of brief glimpses and teasing until the game's climax at Shinra HQ.

Agreed - they've done a good job of showing us areas from the original game, but I want to see more of what's *new*. I'd love to (for example) see stuff about how you can revisit earlier areas of the game, what sort of new sidequests are in there, whether you can visit every sector (and hang out in the upper plate), and so on.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah while I wouldn't say no to new media stuff on anything related to this game, what I want to know the most right now is how the game is structured, and how the explorations are done, if any.

They have been focusing mostly on combat and I understand why they do it since it's such an important part of the game, I am already sold on the combat so I don't really need to see too much more on it.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna know how the exploration (if any) will be in this game, if we will be able to travel throught the sectors using the train or something like that, and I wanna know about side quests too.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
A linear style 15-20 ish hour (mainlining it) RPG with a few hub areas could still be cool, and it's in line with what they have shown and also Midgar in the original was a very 'directed' experience.

I suppose Versus XIII was sort of looking like this in stages as well and this Remake project has felt like Versus XIII reborn in a lot of different ways.

It would be disappointing though if the little advert they showed at GC of the upper plate is just for that CG tho and we don't get to run around and see what upper plate life is like. Or maybe they save that for the return later on

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I'm ok with Persona 5 exploration style but pls don't linear like FF13.
FF7R was developed by FF13 team so I think they learn their mistake in First FF13 game

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It's not dumb. That's what they say, they expanded the game so much that they managed to fill 2 blu-ray disc. This is an statement of big content, since they indeed use it as a reason.

That reason could easily just be to sell the game after RDR2 proved you can sell a 2-disc game without issue. They could load the game up with 4K FMVs that balloon the install size, not bother working on the compression very much, and include only about as much game content as FFXV, and they would get away with it because you can't really define the "proper" amount of content for a 2-disc game any more than you can for a $60 game. That's why "the game is so heavily expanded it takes up 2 discs" shouldn't be treated as anything more than PR fluff for now.

I personally don't expect it to be that bad, though - I think we're looking at a big game incoming - but we'll need to wait and see for ourselves just how big.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That reason could easily just be to sell the game after RDR2 proved you can sell a 2-disc game without issue. They could load the game up with 4K FMVs that balloon the install size, not bother working on the compression very much, and include only about as much game content as FFXV, and they would get away with it because you can't really define the "proper" amount of content for a 2-disc game any more than you can for a $60 game. That's why "the game is so heavily expanded it takes up 2 discs" shouldn't be treated as anything more than PR fluff for now.

I personally don't expect it to be that bad, though - I think we're looking at a big game incoming - but we'll need to wait and see for ourselves just how big.

I'm just saying that expecting the game to be 15-20 hours is an overreaction. I'm not expecting the game to be bigger than every mainline FF, just to be about the same size, so 30-40 hours of content (main story). And I think people expecting tons of CGs are setting themselves to disappointment since I bet they will opt to real time cutscenes for most of the stuff

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'm just saying that expecting the game to be 15-20 hours is an overreaction. I'm not expecting the game to be bigger than every mainline FF, just to be about the same size, so 30-40 hours of content (main story). And I think people expecting tons of CGs are setting themselves to disappointment since I bet they will opt to real time cutscenes for most of the stuff

Agreed there, I mainly just wanted to make the point that 2 discs does not necessarily mean more meaningful content. My actual expectations are similar to yours.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I always though even main FF game's playtime varies quite a bit in the series. I do remember FFXV's main story being much shorter than previous ones from my personal experience.

I do think the game will have decent amount of playtime but I do agree that people shouldn't read too much into thinking "2 bluray discs = a lot of story/gameplay contents"

The only official words on why the game is on 2 discs is only a small part of Nomura's interview from E3 I guess.

There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn't changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn't have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-f...event-new-events-dialogue-options-and-enemies

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
This game is likely going to have 4K pre-rendered scenes lipsynced to multiple languages for scenes with dialogue. 4K is 4x the size of 1080p. The game will also have dialogue in multiple languages, and a ton of music like any other SE RPG.

FFXV was just over 50 GB as well, and that's just higher than the size of one BluRay disc. And FFXV had more concessions than FFVII since FFXV barely had any pre-rendered scenes (and they were in 1080p), and we know Nomura likes his pre-rendered scenes. So, FFVII requiring 2 discs isn't a surprise when FFXV was really close.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF XV is an open world game though, while I'm expecting tons of exploration in VII Remake I really doubt we will have a sandbox Midgar. At the same time XV had only like 3 or 4 pre-rendered cutscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.