• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer:
What I'm trying to say here is that there is a scope to Final Fantasy 7 Remake that goes above and beyond what Square Enix could have happily got away with. You don't need me to tell you it's beautiful, but I'm pleased to be able to tell you it handles extremely well.

Gamespot:
We played the FF7 remake at E3 2019, and it feels like a dream version of the original game that never existed--and that has us excited.

IGN:
Like many people who are excited for Final Fantasy 7 Remake, the 1997 original is a vital component of my gaming past. As such, it's hard to truly say how this hands-on demo would go down with someone unfamiliar with Mako Reactors, Materia, and Shinra. I do know, though, that it has adopted the sort of approach that a lot of people are looking for. This is a remake that, at least from this tiny slice, feels on the same level as this year's Resident Evil 2. It's very clearly a reinvention; something that takes a classic world and builds upon it with modern ideas, rather than just re-building the same game with modern graphics technology. If that philosophy extends for the whole experience, then the years-long wait for Final Fantasy 7 Remake will have been worth it.

Metro:
Swinging Cloud's famously gigantic sword is enormously satisfying, slashing enemies with force in fast-paced, close quarters combat. And it's super simple, too. Though being strategic with battles is the way to master the game, you can unleash a basic attack with an easy button tap. But as Jessie tells players before our demo starts, 'It's not the size of your sword. It's how you use it.' Button-mashing a big sword will only get you so far. Your ATB gauge, a classic element of the Final Fantasy series, is the key to unleashing the game's most powerful moves in combat. For the unfamiliar, this charges up over time: when it has fully charged up ATB allows you to use your characters' magic and individual special powers.

Kotaku:
As a result of this system, it doesn't feel like a hack-n-slash action game. It's got a very, very different vibe than, say, Kingdom Hearts III. Just mashing the square button doesn't seem like an effective strategy in Final Fantasy VII's new combat system. You don't do a ton of damage with standard attacks. From what I watched and played, getting through fights requires frequent use of abilities and swapping between your characters—in this case, using Cloud to take out short-range enemies and Barret to gun down sentries from a distance.

Eazy Allies:
Timestamped:

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sounds amazing. My only concern is how long the parts after the first will take. I understand they're trying to get a whole game's worth of content out of Midgar though.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So excited for all of the party banter. I love that shit. going to love it even more with characters I adore.

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Kotaku article:

zEh2Zie.png

Oct 30, 2017
I always knew they would handle the Remake perfectly, even when mostly were being overly pessimistic ( as usual even were with REmake 2 ).

They are nailing everything with this game :-)

Royer

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds amazing, hope this first part is long enough to make the waiting worth.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean, I was super down on the combat until they sat down and explained it, it does some like it's good and honors the original in an action game style.

So now I'm less worried about that combat and more about when/how they'll finish the story and how much content/padding the game'll have.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It looks super smooth and lovely. I don't doubt the resources and care they are throwing at this

I just dearly wish they would be could be 100% clear about saying 'look it's going to be 2 / 3 parts and our ETA is this'

That they say they don't know at this stage bugs the hell out of me for a variety of reasons

I'll be in Day 1

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
really glad they are handling this well from hands on demo impressions. as long as this extends to the whole game and the games after, i think how they wil handle this overall project isnt one to worry about

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all know it would be amazing, the source material is great, what we don't know though and is more troubling for me is the amount of games they're going to split it up into and how all the locations will work/what will get cut.

I can not commit to buying this without knowing how many games I'll have to buy and how long this project will take to deliver the "full" game, SE need to figure that out.

Cipher

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what is that guy in the Easy Allies saying about Cloud hearing the Victory Fanfare?

Oct 27, 2017
That part about button mashing not working is bs (at least in the demo).

I loved it but I was able to kill everything easily mashing the square button. It was pretty much mash square them do ATB ability when it came up.

Then again it was just the demo. I imagine in the full game you won't be able to get away with button mashing.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds amazing. Seems like there's a lot of enthusiasm behind this project. I hope they keep this up till the finish line.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I'm so ready for this!!! I'm sad that the story will take place over multiple games, but damn are they doing a good job with it. Kinda hard to be salty.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough of this game will be through these remake releases so this is just a fucking huge thing for me

Oct 27, 2017
Gamekult:

Final Fantasy VII Remake may be limited to the Midgar chapter for this first episode, we can not wait to discover more fully this reinterpretation of an absolute classic of the Japanese RPG. If Square Enix dispels some of our doubts by optimizing the technique and ensuring a constant renewal of the game situations, we head for a tribute of quality, built on a system that we hope at least as solid as the Fists of Tifa.

OP
OP
The Last One

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The playable slice has also been compared to the MGS2 Sons of Liberty demo in terms of personal impact:

It seens they did a perfect mix of action and ATB. The gameplay ifself feels pretty unique and not just one more "action game" or "turn-based game".

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I guess I've lowered my expectations of SE over the last decade because I never in my wildest dreams thought the impressions would be this good. I wanted them to be, obv, but wasn't sure they'd deliver.

Anyway, will read more tomorrow, but the few impressions I've scrolled through sounded excited and impressed and that's what I've been hoping for.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the main worry at this point is just wondering if this entire project will finish in a timely fashion lol, everything else sounds glowing

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a rumor that a PS4 demo would drop? I think it's part of the rumor in which a lot has come true like Materia showing up on weapons, overdrive, etc.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow

The comparison to the resident evil 2 remake is music to my ears, that's an incredible game

So excited

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird that Square, of all things, seem to be nailing this. I'm not used to that from them lmao.
Super glad they are doing the best job here though!

Maximilian compared the game to the Style of Remake of Resident Evil 2 aswell and that makes me super excited. RE2 really was a masterpiece, just incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
Positive across the board. Small demo at E3 and it's already serving massive amounts of crow to everyone that's been crying about the combat before they had any details.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that Square, of all things, seem to be nailing this. I'm not used to that from them lmao.
Super glad they are doing the best job here though!

Maximilian compared the game to the Style of Remake of Resident Evil 2 aswell and that makes me super excited. RE2 really was a masterpiece, just incredible.

I think it's partly because they know how beloved the game is. Fucking it up is not an option given its their biggest game of all time with a very passionate fanbase behind it.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Good god I thought they would fck up the battle system but it is everything I wanted since FFXIIi. The perfect expansion of the xIII trilogies system in every way combined with classic FF and modern action combat.

Now the only concern is how are they paddig midgar out to 30 hours