• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Have they announced how much the Yuffie Episode is for those upgrading from a PS4 copy?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This looks a nice upgrade from the original. FFVII R Part 2 is probably going to look insane. Hopefully they are going UE5

The slums still look pretty rough with low textures from the snippets.

Too bad i cant buy the dlc with the ps4 version.

Looking at 4k slums seem upgraded from original. Textures improved but lighting is the biggest difference.

OP
OP
Xenosaga

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
4Evfx3o.gif

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Yuffie looks ridiculously fun to play as.

Even more than Tifa and Cloud.
I feel like a dumb dumb, but maybe I never GOT how Tifa played, because she always felt underpowered and not that fun to play for me. Same with Aerith. I really only ever had success with Cloud and Barrett, and in hindsight, that makes me feel like an idiot.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I never played a FF game before (except for the FFVII demo), but what is exactly up with her outfit? She's an elite operative wearing that? Or is it something with the lore or typical JRPG stuff?

You got a lot of replies to this but I feel like you didn't get a full one.

Yuffie is a comic relief character whose is portrayed as highly confident, decently competent, but also clumsy and childish. She is portrayed as immature and unworldly but dedicated to her personal goals of returning resources stolen from her homeland. All of her strange behavior is just attributed to her being "quirky."

I wish she would button her shorts.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Afraid not.

Bought the game? You get a free upgrade to the PS5 version (DLC still needs to be bought though)
Got the game through PS+? You only get the PS4 version. No free upgrade, have to buy the PS5 version.
we still cant preorder the dlc yet? i have the deluxe PS4 ordered at launch

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The DLC is supposed to be on a code right?

I have the PS4 version digitally and have a digital ps5 but would like one boxed ps5 game so it would work out nicely for me if so

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
My god, this game looks fantastic! I still find the idea of having a remake of FFVII quite incredible, even more so with this graphic fidelity. ^-^

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a dumb dumb, but maybe I never GOT how Tifa played, because she always felt underpowered and not that fun to play for me. Same with Aerith. I really only ever had success with Cloud and Barrett, and in hindsight, that makes me feel like an idiot.

Aerith is one of the most fun support characters ever. she was great to use for shields, especially against Jenova and some of the bosses in the Shinra tower. The game has so much flexibility and utility between each character. I don't think anybody is underpowered because everybody has so many different things they can contribute.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Tifa is actualy the most overpowered character and great fun to play once you assign her special attacks to controller shortcuts you can almost play her like a fighting character. ;)

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Tifa is all about speed, she has really high dps since you can build your ATB bars very fast. She's also the best fit for parry materia (works like a fast dodge) and deadly dodge materia (since you can cancel her animations with a dodge and follow immediately with a attack). It's all about linking abilities quickly, for example her divekick ability (I think you have it at the start) can follow directly after a uppercut (triangle button).

Some cool combos: https://mobile.twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1258089135648190469 / https://mobile.twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1255978614891393024

She was my favorite character to play as until end game when you get the last weapon ability with Cloud that lets you counter-attack almost everything.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
They've done a stellar job so far with the way each character handles in combat but I think they have their work cut out with Red. I can't remember his stats in the original game. Would it make sense to make him more magic focused, like a more mobile Aerith?

OP
OP
Xenosaga

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Aerith is one of the most fun support characters ever. she was great to use for shields, especially against Jenova and some of the bosses in the Shinra tower. The game has so much flexibility and utility between each character. I don't think anybody is underpowered because everybody has so many different things they can contribute.

Aerith with Magnify felt so good.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
If you finished the game on the PS4 edition you'll have to do that bullshit thing of running the PS4 version of the game, "uploading" your save to the cloud, and then downloading it on the PS5 edition if you wish to carry over your saves. Hopefully that means at least you can quickly double dip the platinum trophy if you got on PS4. I don't think the patch that lets you upload your save is out yet but I dunno, haven't run the old version in a long time. Hopefully the PS+ edition lets you upload your save (it accepted it just fine from my disc based run).

Gamestop is also the only retailer in the USA that has the exclusive steelbook for integrade

Wouldn't your save have just transferred over when you did the PS4->PS5 storage transfer?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm a rebel that's not going to transfer my save over because I want to play it all again

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
So far a lot of the Ps4 to PS5 upgrades require you to upload the file from the PS4 version of the game first, then download it on the PS5 version of the game. It is stupid

I get it, but what I'm saying is wouldn't you have already done that when you first purchased your PS5? I transfered over all my data/files through that data transfer thing.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I get it, but what I'm saying is wouldn't you have already done that when you first purchased your PS5? I transfered over all my data/files through that data transfer thing.

Nope it is a different process from that. So if you want to run through the steps.

1) Transfer save from PS4 to PS5 using data transfer or PS+
2] Install PS4 Version of FF7R (they will patch the feature so make sure it's updated)
3) Install PS5 Version of FF7R
4) Start PS4 version of FF7R
5) Convert PS4 save to PS5 save in the game itself
6) Start PS5 version of FF7R
7) Play game with newly converted file

The main thing is that your PS4 save file does not get converted automatically . You need to run both versions of the game to do the conversion.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

unfortunately the PS5 is very different than xbox. The latter uses smart delivery so its one product no matter if its a native Series X or BC One game.

PS5 games are a new title, so Final Fantasy 7R-PS5 edition is a completely seperate game from the PS4 edition, with all new trophies (that are all exactly the same). And a completely different save file. Games on PS5 (PS4) cannot read another titles save file, some security feature or something I guess. So nope, a game can't read its PS4 edition of a save game, only the PS5 edition. You still HAVE the PS4 version of the save file on your PS5 after you do the initial transfer, and its on the PS+ cloud as well, but both are completely inaccessible to the PS5 version of the game.

The "solution" has been the PS4 version of games requiring a patch that adds a "Upload save to cloud" feature, which puts some version of your PS4 save data into a cloud storage, somewhere (Sony? Amazon? who knows). Then the PS5 version can "import" that data and create a new save file with all the save data intact.

Its happened with Hitman 3 and a few other games, its annoying as hell. Most games don't even support it, like if you started the PS5 version of Yakuza 7 there is no way to import your PS4 save. Man Eater, Control Ultimate Edition, Yakuza LAD, etc had no options but to restart from scratch. I think TLOU2 lets you transfer.

Its complete trash, like just about every PS5 game I have on my PS5 has a PS4 version of the game that I can accidently install and play too with a seperate save. For the first few months PS5s would do all kinds of funky things without showing you what version you are running, defaulting to the PS4 version, etc which was messy as hell. Its better now and they try to default you to the PS5 version of stuff and warn you if you are running the PS4 version.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Nope it is a different process from that. So if you want to run through the steps.

1) Transfer save from PS4 to PS5 using data transfer or PS+
2] Install PS4 Version of FF7R (they will patch the feature so make sure it's updated)
3) Install PS5 Version of FF7R
4) Start PS4 version of FF7R
5) Convert PS4 save to PS5 save in the game itself
6) Start PS5 version of FF7R
7) Play game with newly converted file

The main thing is that your PS4 save file does not get converted automatically . You need to run both versions of the game to do the conversion.

So regarding step 1 -- my save data is already on my PS5. I'd still need to do this via the cloud? That's where my confusion lay, which is why I was asking if we couldn't have just done this with data transfer when we initially got the PS5. I transferred over all of my data/saves/files initially and am just tryna confirm if I don't have to do this again lol

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So regarding step 1 -- my save data is already on my PS5. I'd still need to do this via the cloud? That's where my confusion lay, which is why I was asking if we couldn't have just done this with data transfer when we initially got the PS5. I transferred over all of my data/saves/files initially and am just tryna confirm if I don't have to do this again lol

you will have to run Final Fantasy VII-R PS4 edition once they put out a new patch (in the next 2 weeks)
there will be a new option in the main menu, "upload save to cloud". This cloud has nothing to do with the FF7-R save that is already in your PS+ cloud
you will have to do that
then close the game
then run the PS5 version of the game and "import save from cloud". It can only download from the cloud upload you do in step 2, it cannot download from your PS+ cloud (why? dunno)

You cannot skip any of the above steps, which means you'll need to have both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game installed. You can then delete the PS4 version of the game after you are done. Thats only if you want to transfer the save, if you want to start from scratch you can just do that.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
you will have to run Final Fantasy VII-R PS4 edition once they put out a new patch (in the next 2 weeks)
there will be a new option in the main menu, "upload save to cloud"
you will have to do that
then close the game
then run the PS5 version of the game and "import save from cloud"

You cannot skip any of the above steps, which means you'll need to have both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game installed. You can then delete the PS4 version of the game after you are done. Thats only if you want to transfer the save, if you want to start from scratch you can just do that.

Oy vey. And you need PS+ to utilize that patched in feature?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oy vey. And you need PS+ to utilize that patched in feature?

Nope. So long as you have your old save on your PS5 you are fine. Just make sure your PS4 version is installed so that you can do the conversion.

Now I'm wondering if I should replay the whole game too or stick to hard mode. šŸ˜‚