• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when everyone wanted FF7Re? Not this "they want this so bad let's milk the shit out of it" multi part game?

Also it's hilarious SE has found the best way to get bags of money from Sony, Epic and Steam.

-1yr exclusive from Sony.
-1yr exclusive from Epic.
-Release on Steam. (I don't know if Gaben has to cut them a check by then)
-Bag of cash from MS when they put it on Game Pass.
-Another Sony bag from PS+
-Maybe some more cash for PS Now release.
-Expect more cash from Google via Stadia at some point.

I really don't want to hear about Capcom bitching things are tough and they need to cut back making games. Sounds like they just want to milk it to make millions.
You forgot to add "get paid for PS4 version on PS+ and refuse to offer free upgrades to the PS5 version so they have to pay for it and the DLC that is exclusive to the PS5 version while people blame Sony, instead of Square Enix, for it not being free."

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp. Not paying $70 for this on Epic. Already paid for it on my PS5 you greedy fucks. Wake me up when it's cheaper and on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
… Can I ask what the big deal is about needing to buy this on Epic vs Steam? Who cares?
I can try to explain from a personal standpoint how FF7 in particular going EGS screws me and many others over.

Square Enix put up preorders for Forspoken today and FF7's pricing has been confirmed. In Canada they are both $93.49 and both EGS and Steam charge 15% taxes in my location so that jacks the price up to $107 CAD, Insane pricing I know.

However, Square Enix very commonly puts their games up for sale on 3rd party sites like GreenManGaming which do not charge taxes in lots of locations, Canada included. On top of this, they always do 20%-30% off discounts for preorders/launch periods. Forspoken went up on GMG a few hours ago with a 20% off discount for VIP members. With no taxes this brings the game from $107 to $74CAD, A VERY large discount, and a much more reasonable price.

This is where EGS exclusivity ruins everything, Epic has a very weird exclusivity clause where publishers cannot release their games on 3rd party sites. Some publishers like 2K, 505 and Tripwire are exempt from this clause however and can happily sell their EGS exclusives on sellers like GMG, Humble, Fanatical, etc (Likely due to some arrangement with Epic). Square Enix unfortunately for whatever reason, is not one of these publishers. This means the only place you can get KH, The World Ends With You NEO, Final Fantasy Origins and now FF7 is directly from EGS. Making these games significantly more expensive for people like me. If I want to get Forspoken and FF7 Remake, I have to pay $33 more for FF7 remake than I have to for Forspoken solely because Square sold out again

This is garbage, full stop. It doesn't benefit the consumer at all, FF7 was going to come to PC regardless and anything who thinks Epic brought these games to PC is delusional. People on here will defend it though like they do everything else. There are many reasons people don't like EGS, But this is definitely one of the biggest ones for me.

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Looking forward to the next epic leak and how much they've paid square over the last year to snip their pc sales to a fraction

At least egs will probably be dead by the time part 2 comes out in 2025

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
I was skipping all around and mostly skipped the speeches inbetween trailers, what makes it clear that it is actually a 1 year Epic exclusive?

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
waiting-finger-tapping.gif

Guess I'll be waiting for the steam release at half the price.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Wasn't even expecting SquEnix to release it on nothing but EGS first and I'm somehow still disappointed...

Sad XBOX owners can't play either.

Pricing is awful, fuck SquEnix

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to buy it at this price, not even if it were on Steam, so I can keep waiting.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah, no. 80 bucks to play the game on the EGS, it's not gonna happen.

I'll wait for the Steam release next year. Until then, the KH franchise should also release on Steam and it'll help pass the time.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wait is it ACTUALLY 80€? lol

I'm not buying a game on EGS. I'm not paying 80€ for a game.

I'm certainily not going to do both at the same time.

See you in a year, Square lmao

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gosh, Square Enix's addiction to timed exclusives followed by effectively releasing this exclusively on The Pirate Bay for 12 months. It's like they didn't learn anything from Kingdom Hearts PC.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
80€ Epic exclusive will go well with the PC crowd.
Remember that Kingdom Hearts was released on PC? Yeah, me neither.
Gosh, Square Enix's addiction to timed exclusives followed by effectively releasing this exclusively on The Pirate Bay for 12 months. It's like they didn't learn anything from Kingdom Hearts PC.
They need every cent they can get with each of their games seemingly in development hell.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

They likely made a package deal. But then again, SE is that dumb of a company. While every other publisher has seen a huge growth on other platforms, SE has actively reduced their userbase

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
£69.99 and EGS exclusive? Yikes. Will wait for a price drop on Steam in 12 months.

I'm guessing there's no data on how well the KH games did?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
They likely made a package deal. But then again, SE is that dumb of a company. While every other publisher has seen a huge growth on other platforms, SE has actively reduced their userbase

Yeah, package deal seems very likely, considering this was where Epic wanted to move according to papers from Epic v. Apple.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't KH games get sale like right when they launched? Probably means presales didn't meet expectations.

They did because it bombed yeah. I imagine that's what's going to happen.

In fact, for this specific release unless it has Denuvo, I expect the piracy numbers to be higher than the sales numbers.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
User Banned (3 Weeks): Admitting to piracy, previous infraction for similar behavior. Long history of other infractions.
I mean, I would never install EGS on my PC, but that price on top... LMAO. I will be playing this on PC this year, though, he he he.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've been waiting to play this ever since it was first revealed at that Sony E3 press conference years ago. The only reason I didn't buy it on PS4 was because I knew it would look and run better on my PC and I didn't think the timed exclusivity would last this long... smh.

The EGS exclusivity annoys me since EGS is really barebones. It doesn't have the community features like Steam has, nor the input flexibility. If I buy the game on EGS I know I'm going to want to double dip and buy the Steam version when that comes out, so the logical thing to do is wait. But my excitement to play this game might win out...

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
80€ for a 2 years late port
Denuvo
No cd key resellers

Yeah, I can wait until EGS gives it away for free or it pops up on Gamepass. Way to completely assassinate interest in a game. I have waited for 2 years already after the development hell that started back in 2016, I don't mind waiting for 2 more.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think Tim would be smart enough to offer exclusive FF7 characters on Fortnite or something. Even early unlocks would've entice people.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome to see it finally come to PC, but sigh, learnt nothing from KH launch EGS pricing, its ridiculous.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Get fucked, Square.

You already got me at full price on PS4. As much as I want to play the Intergade content, I'm not buying a PS5 or a PC to do so at full price again.

Square is aiming for that "Scummiest developer" moniker… it's just there's lots of competition for that title at the moment they don't have it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I am sure Square Enix is making a good short-term profit by taking every moneyhat that comes its way but their franchises will never be as big as they can truly be as long as they keep walling off customers for years at a time. We have plenty of examples of japanese games finding great success as multiplatform games, it's such a shame that Square's leadership seems unwilling to follow those examples.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
I thought $80 for a PC game was already pushing it, and now SE shows up with $100 Forspoken and FF7. =/

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So much for moving out of the disruptive phase that Timothy claimed like a year ago...