• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF7R character

• Cloud

Votes: 278 18.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 518 34.0%
  • Barret

Votes: 257 16.9%
  • Aerith

Votes: 471 30.9%

• Total voters

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not crazy. Cloud, Aerith and Tifa all looked a little weird to me in the CG cutscenes.

Don't get me wrong, those scenes look incredible overall, but a few of the character models seemed off.
The only thing that stood out to me was suddenly everybody became Asian in the CG scenes.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I only have two trophies left, which is all chapters on Hard and the Pride and Joy one.

I keep banging my head on the latter, still losing to the 4th wave of the fight.

At this point I could use a good Materia setup, especially to know if I need to max out more HP ones or otherwise. I'm also swapping between Barret and Aerith, since Barret can do more ranged damage and take more hits but Aerith has deadlier magic attacks.

I just want this done so I can platinum the game.
I went for the safe route with Cloud/Aerith/Barret and aggressive casting. Works for all the fights but I'll explain the Bahamut one since it's the hardest. Use Cloud and Aerith as offensive casters, with Barret for support. For Cloud I used the Mythril sword for magic attack, but you can use Twin Stinger too if you want Reprieve. Have First Strike on Cloud and use it to give Aerith haste. Then cast Arcane Ward asap. Get on that twister mat with both Cloud and Aerith and cast firaga. Each spell will hit twice, so you do a 4x Firaga combo which will do some serious damage. You can use Barret to cast Pray (no mp spent) and cast manawall + magnify (the reason you want to save that mp). You can run around with Barret as bait for Bahamut while Cloud and Aerith do their casting. Make sure you have a manawall + heal once Bahamut is down to '1' on his Megaflare counter. With enough health you can tank Megaflare if you have Manawall up.
High level mp and hp ups are recommended for everyone you're using. Aerith was at 7900 for me and both Cloud and Barret 8-9k ish.You can put magic ups on Aerith so she does even more damage. One or two characters need lightning for Levi as well. What's also really useful is to put a fire + max. elemental on your armor, which will make ifrit heal you instead of doing damage! I only had one for Cloud, if you have 2 it's even better. That way, you can ignore Ifrit and continue wailing on Bahamut. I used to think magnify+cure wasn't worth sacrificing but with Bahamut it's a lifesaver. Just use pray and individual cures/chakra for mid battle healing.

Or you can try to replicate the setup in this video which goes even harder on pure offense. Fury rings on all characters, ATB boosting materia and no hp ups at all.

If you're not gonna use that strategy it's at least worth a watch because he destroys the gauntlet with ease.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Chapter 9 and the visuals are crazy. When this game hits its stride graphically it is a sight to behold! The difference between significant character models and random npcs is very big though. Looking forward to in the next game where the consistency increases greately. This game already has a vibrant feel to it which I think will transfer very well to the improvements made in next gen.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Anyone know if the free demo theme was ever released? I don't see it on PSN.

Yeah, I have all of them apart from the butterfinger/JP only Tifa theme (the video on the twitter post is the one that I use, I also have it as my lock screen on the PC). I think you needed to have downloaded the demos for both FF7R and FFXIV to unlock it as the theme alternates images from both.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have all of them apart from the butterfinger/JP only Tifa theme (the video on the twitter post is the one that I use, I also have it as my lock screen on the PC). I think you needed to have downloaded the demos for both FF7R and FFXIV to unlock it as the theme alternates images from both.
Only the FFVIIR demo was necessary for the theme in that tweet. The VIIR/XIV theme is something else entirely. As it mentions, the cutoff point was May 11th.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Honestly hp isn't useful. Run mp, take advantage of 50% mp back every fight, and spam spells.
Yeah there's a lot of avoidable mechanics in the game that you don't need to have super tanky characters. Also with normal HP you can fully heal people with Curas.

I'm wondering when we see this on PC will materia modding be a thing. Like a more fleshed out version of enemy skill for instance. Or a provoke materia that's actually useful (maybe by making it a yellow)

Apr 27, 2020
So I'm not crazy. Cloud, Aerith and Tifa all looked a little weird to me in the CG cutscenes.

Don't get me wrong, those scenes look incredible overall, but a few of the character models seemed off.

Aerith looked the most "off" imo, especially during the last CGI cut scene in the game. Her face there compared to her in-game face is totally different.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Am I playing this game wrong? I am in chapter 12, and the past few chapters, i've felt like combat mostly consisted of healing every 30 seconds. Get a couple attacks in, oh shit gotta heal the whole team, get an attack in, oh shit Aerith is KOd. I just feel like I'm CONSTANTLY having to heal and revive people, and it makes the combat a huge bummer for me. I keep hearing people saying how much they love the combat but I feel like we're playing different games. I don't think I'm underleveled or anything, I did all the side quests.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Am I playing this game wrong? I am in chapter 12, and the past few chapters, i've felt like combat mostly consisted of healing every 30 seconds. Get a couple attacks in, oh shit gotta heal the whole team, get an attack in, oh shit Aerith is KOd. I just feel like I'm CONSTANTLY having to heal and revive people, and it makes the combat a huge bummer for me. I keep hearing people saying how much they love the combat but I feel like we're playing different games. I don't think I'm underleveled or anything, I did all the side quests.

Have you been upgrading your weapons?

Chapter 12 has some difficult parts, for sure. I died more than once in normal fights. Camera is hampering in some parts.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Have you been upgrading your weapons?

Chapter 12 has some difficult parts, for sure. I died more than once in normal fights. Camera is hampering in some parts.
yeah I've been upgrading each time I level. Idk, I haven't found the game too hard, I don't die a lot, but I also feel like I spend most of my time just trying to fill ATB so I can heal, and I'm starting to not find it very fun. I dropped the game for like 2 weeks when I got to the horse boss. I played up to the chapter 12 boss yesterday and am just really underwhelmed right now. Just a lot of spongey enemies that aren't fun to fight, and completely focusing on having enough attack points to heal and use items. I don't get how people are finding this fun l feel like I must be playing wrong.

Rods

May 1, 2020
yeah I've been upgrading each time I level. Idk, I haven't found the game too hard, I don't die a lot, but I also feel like I spend most of my time just trying to fill ATB so I can heal, and I'm starting to not find it very fun. I dropped the game for like 2 weeks when I got to the horse boss. I played up to the chapter 12 boss yesterday and am just really underwhelmed right now. Just a lot of spongey enemies that aren't fun to fight, and completely focusing on having enough attack points to heal and use items. I don't get how people are finding this fun l feel like I must be playing wrong.
Most common mistake is to stay on 1 character too long, you want to keep switching every 3-10sec, always abuse skills and magic that pressure enemies.
Generally humans will be weak to fire and robots to lightning, as soon as they get pressured use focused attacks to build the stagger gauge.
No need to overuse blocking, you can dodge a lot of attacks by simply running around.
Honestly this game plays a lot like CRPG, and on games like this offense is your best defensive, but you gotta make sure you are using the right attacks.

snakaotic

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Easy mode is more fun for me. I hate long boss fights.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

Blocking is a good thing to do, and if you feel that you just can't find openings reliably, it might be worth trying to block a bit more and use steadfast block materia for building atb instead. Much like player characters, enemies have big abilities they throw out once in awhile. Properly minimize damage from those by movement or blocking, understand exact weaknesses of enemies by assess (for your example, you should immediately be aware that if you dodge a single melee attack from helitroopers they are basically dead), and go after correct targets (if there are 2 riot and 1 grenadier, dive for the grenadier after drawing the riots away from him, stuff like that). In normal mode where MP is not an issue and basic attacks from enemies do not stun, you should always use everything available. There is no need for reservation, and positioning is not as critical.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in chapter 14 right now. While I enjoyed the main story so far, the many side quests in this chapter somehow kill the pacing for me.
Is there anything essential I would miss if i just skipped them? All my characters are Level 24 at the moment ...

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in chapter 14 right now. While I enjoyed the main story so far, the many side quests in this chapter somehow kill the pacing for me.
Is there anything essential I would miss if i just skipped them? All my characters are Level 24 at the moment ...

Weapons for Barret and a few materias. I can't recall anything else.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
You get a second Elemental materia for beating all of the Chapter 14 sidequests, which is a pretty big reward IMO

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
No, just do them on hard for the weapon upgrades.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Most of those quests have nice rewards, like manuscripts that give characters 10SP, etc. The Corneo stashes have huge amounts of treasure. Doing all of them will get you an extra Elemental materia (but remember to pick it up off the ground before using your grappling guns to ascend the wall).

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

If you're not already, make sure you're blocking in punisher mode with Cloud for the counterattack and if you have counterstance, learn to use that. Use assess to learn enemy weaknesses because it usually staggers them really quickly. If they're staggered they can't attack you.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only at Chapter 8 but I love the battle system. Only thing I don't like is that most battles end too fast IMO (I'm playing on Normal), so when you have 3 characters in the party it becomes a bit of a waste because you never have the time to really switch characters and experiment with them.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I4H6CLS.gif

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Oh my god the Trypapolis are BY FARRRRRRRRRRR the worst enemies in the game!!!

Even when you use the correct method and use an ability on them when they're dancing they still take for-fucking-ever to kill

99% of the time you have to wait for them to Screech, then use Aeroga, then they Dance. Then you have to kill their doppelgänger. And then you have to do that 2 more times!!!

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
Most of Ch.12 is Cloud fighting alone. Yeah I remembered having to heal a lot in this particular chapter too. You're not the only one, and the Helitroopers are no pushovers. If you want quick battles: First Strike Materia and Magnify+Fire. I had a self-imposed challenge of using as little items as necessary, but if you don't have tha,t go ham on the Ethers.

I'm only at Chapter 8 but I love the battle system. Only thing I don't like is that most battles end too fast IMO (I'm playing on Normal), so when you have 3 characters in the party it becomes a bit of a waste because you never have the time to really switch characters and experiment with them.
Dude, Why haven't you been able to play it earlier? As far as I am concerned, you look like a big FF7 fan.

Oh my god the Trypapolis are BY FARRRRRRRRRRR the worst enemies in the game!!!

Even when you use the correct method and use an ability on them when they're dancing they still take for-fucking-ever to kill

99% of the time you have to wait for them to Screech, then use Aeroga, then they Dance. Then you have to kill their doppelgänger. And then you have to do that 2 more times!!!
HAHAHAHA....TAKE THAT. (I know what you mean, but I enjoyed it in a sadistic way.)

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Agree, as I like the design of the characters much more on the in-game model.

It's crazy tho, that we're having a discussion how some people think the in-game rendering looks better than CG cutscenes. SE did it. They made a game where the visuals outperform Advent Children.

Yep, not to mention the games that do render their cutscenes in-engine tend to age a lot better too. I always find it jarring when there's a huge disparity between the two.

It seems a lifetime ago, that the CGI cutscenes were the actual 'reward'.

I can quibble all I want about small inconsistencies in the presentation, textures, etc, but I genuinely did have to gather myself on more than a couple of occasions whilst playing this - I'm so damn appreciative that we actually got to play this thing!

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
wtf, someone playing piano music in costume is cringe?

I think that says more about the viewer than the video

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
wtf, someone playing piano music in costume is cringe?

I think that says more about the viewer than the video

I think a lot of people misappropriate the use of the word 'cringe' nowadays, basically using it as a catch-all term. If they don't like something, or it doesn't fit into their view of what is expected, then it's 'cringe'. It's fine to dislike something, but I really doubt it's making you feel that strongly.

Not to single out the OP of the comment, but it's just something I noticed happening more regularly, especially around these parts.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people misappropriate the use of the word 'cringe' nowadays, basically using it as a catch-all term. If they don't like something, or it doesn't fit into their view of what is expected, then it's 'cringe'. It's fine to dislike something, but I really doubt it's making you feel that strongly.

Not to single out the OP of the comment, but it's just something I noticed happening more regularly, especially around these parts.

It's just weird to see how ironic it is to dunk on people doing geeky things when you made an account on a video game forum to talk to other video game enthusiasts.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
It's just weird to see how ironic it is to dunk on people doing geeky things when you made an account on a video game forum to talk to other video game enthusiasts.

Therein lies in the problem, because if they like it, odds are that they don't consider it 'geeky'.

Anyway, I'm just going to enjoy some good music!

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I finally started this today. Is there anything important I should be aware of, like powerful missable items, for example?