• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Poll:

Have the haters talked you out of buying the game yet?
Even the haters like myself are going to get it to see if we're (hopefully) wrong so I highly doubt it lol.

I'm hoping I get to wear a Giant L on my forehead after the game comes out. I really do. But just for "popcorn action flick" levels of graphic fidelity the game will sell millions alone. It's a looker and has one of the biggest names behind it in the business of one of the most popular RPGs. Nothing I say or do would deter people lol.

Hopefully they've given enough time to the Turks that adding a new char is fine. But I can see the concern. My wife has mentioned "Still no Elena......" during the last two trailers.

Even if Solder 1st Class was "best of the best" I still found it odd that Zack & Sephiroth were the only named ones. Granted, I don't need an entire enlistment dossier, but it would be nice to see more of them. Have they even verified which Class this new guy even is?

I really hope they remember that WEAPON was not tied to Sephiroth in anyway. They fought for the Planet and got in the party's way because, second to Sephiroth which they couldn't reach, they targeted the biggest threat they could perceive. Mankind.

As for embellishing on Aerith, I guess I've been fine with it thus far. I felt like Aerith learned a lot so fast in the later part of the og game and then she suddenly "just knew" what she had to do involving Holy and White Materia.

Added spoilers since I'm not sure on the rules on talking about future plot points in relation to the older game and stuff not shown in the trailers thus far.
I would assume new guy is 1st because he's wearing black and the uniforms are pretty...uh...uniform across anything lower than 1st class. That being said I could be wrong. They're probably going to put him opposed to cloud to take all the subtlety out of Cloud not really being in SOLDIER away, since the other dialogue that I've seen supports such.

WEAPON should stay as WEAPON was, but Sephiroth is already being jerked around to being AC:Seph so I have no faith in this writing team for that.

Aeris's development is well built across the beginning of the game. Sure they could flesh it out a bit but I don't think we needed ghosts fighting her or scaring her to nail that story beat. This girl was seeing dead people at age 8 when her adoptive mother's husband died in Wutai. I think the game assumes you're intelligent enough to deduce that she starts embracing her "gift" the minute they have the dialogue about the Promised Land when they're all caught in Shinra HQ and talking through the walls.

That being said they could build up her talking to the planet more sure, but I think the City of Ancients is where we would do that, since that's where a big part of her plot is and where she makes the decisions after the Black Materia fiasco.

EDIT: Sidenote Elena isn't allowed to even be a turk until Reno is hurt, but the compilation kinda murkied up those waters so who knows.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
It won't be like that. Summons have been confirmed only for specific fights you won't be able to use them during combat with normal enemies.

Really? Oof, not sure if I care for that. Though again, I'm not sure how feasible it would be for Ifrit to show up in some cramped space and try to find random grunts.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm just being optimistic for no particular reason, but when I see multi part rat quest, my first thought isn't "so I have to kill a couple of rats in five different spots", but further escalations of the battle with bigger and bigger rats, culminating in a boss fight.

If FFXV is any indication, I'm likely wrong on this. But on the other hand, some of the optional dungeons in FFXV (that had quests tied to them as well) were kind of amazing. "Get me this shit for your car", and you go down a complex dungeon and fight a unique cool boss to get that car part as a reward.

Hell, I had to go back to get the car part because I just did that dungeon exploring by myself earlier.

So who knows. Could go either way, or could even go both ways, like FFXV, which had both cool dungeons and shitty fetch quests.

I'm pretty sure when people talk about FFXV's shitty quests, they're not thinking of Balouve Mines, or Pitioss Ruins. They're just thinking of stuff as bad as "Cid wants you to kill some dogs while I fix your car". Which is, ironically, a main quest.

Pitioss is one of the coolest experiences I've had in a Final Fantasy game. I hope the VII Remake incorporates something crazy like that.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Though the sidequest screens make me groan a little bit. I know, it's expected.

It's funny, as during the SNES and PSX era, whenever there was a sidequest, it was like, "cool!" But these last two gens have really sucked the life out of doing side quests in an rpg.

My hope is that they at least try and include interesting flavor text, with some development of character involved. At least, on some of them.

Pitioss is one of the coolest experiences I've had in a Final Fantasy game. I hope the VII Remake incorporates something crazy like that.

I agree. The cool stuff like this made up for all the other generic quests in the game. I hope FF VII does something similar. There's an easy way to do it, you make a cool, intense dungeon for Knights of the Round.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the summons in this game just worked like the ones from VII - big explosive silly cutscenes. Having summons show up in the battlefield and dick around on their own for 30 seconds is so bland to me. I want crazy planet-destroying super moves, not "Ifrit punches a guy a couple times and then throws a fireball", y'know?

It's not like the summons from the OG FFVII were that silly for the early ones.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Really? Oof, not sure if I care for that. Though again, I'm not sure how feasible it would be for Ifrit to show up in some cramped space and try to find random grunts.

And that's precisely the reasoning. I frankly hated the eidolons in FFXIII and while XV's summons were spectacular, it was basically an IWIN button every fight that was only randomly usable. You basically just needed to get hurt and walk around avoiding the enemies long enough to summon.

Contrast that style with VII OG where the summons weren't particularly powerful up until Bahamut, but the MP use was prohibitively expensive so it was saved for bosses anyway.

Where people are going to get upset with this is the lack of freedom to blow that MP on say, a group of sahagins if they choose to do so.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
[
022.jpg

"Where is your God now?"

I laughed 🤣

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I wish the summons in this game just worked like the ones from VII - big explosive silly cutscenes. Having summons show up in the battlefield and dick around on their own for 30 seconds is so bland to me. I want crazy planet-destroying super moves, not "Ifrit punches a guy a couple times and then throws a fireball", y'know?
Hard disagree here. This makes summons actually feel like a separate mechanic from spells, which they should be since the concept is entirely different. Summons got better once they became something more than "flashy, powerful spells". Also, from the released Aps gameplay, we can see that the cinematic element of the summons is still there once their summon time expires.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take. This is a more interesting system than summons just being super powerful spells that you can use any time.
I don't mind they can join you in fights, but I mind how restrictive they are regarding what kinda fights they are allowed to participate in. Summons should be able to appear in ALL fights. They should also be expensive MP-wise. The choice is whether to allow a summon join you should be left up TO YOU, manually. If YOU want them to participate in a normal battle, that should be YOUR choice. By doing so, you are also fine in wasting so much MP on such a small skirmish, but still, that should be YOUR CHOICE.

Midgar will surprise many for how varied it will be :-)
It BETTER be. One thing I hoped for, with a first game being solely dedicated to Midgar, is the expanding of areas to explore. If they add new areas, they could also map unique quests TO those areas. Technically, there should also be slums located all around UNDER the plate, so in the original game, we only explore a bit of the slum area and a bit of the upper plate area. If they wanted to go crazy and expand the area, story-wise and quest-wise, they could.

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Are the preorder summons only available that way? Or does anyone if you can purchase them?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't mind they can join you in fights, but I mind how restrictive they are regarding what kinda fights they are allowed to participate in. Summons should be able to appear in ALL fights. They should also be expensive MP-wise. The choice is whether to allow a summon join you should be left up TO YOU, manually. If YOU want them to participate in a normal battle, that should be YOUR choice. By doing so, you are also fine in wasting so much MP on such a small skirmish, but still, that should be YOUR CHOICE.
They should be able to appear in all fights, across all versions of the game. The fact that some summons are paywalled and then only applicable to a handful of fights is dumb, and indefensible.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
ff15 had exclusive DLC too, but was available to purchase but at a later date i dont remember how much later

Still unsure on if I'm going to purchase FF VIIR, so don't want to preorder. But if I do buy the game, would like to have all the summons, even if I need to buy them.

Thanks.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Y'all tripping over this summons/sidequest stuff. Everything else about the game is really good. I get why they went the route they did with the summons and it doesn't bother me at all.

Just wait til it come out THEN judge

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still unsure on if I'm going to purchase FF VIIR, so don't want to preorder. But if I do buy the game, would like to have all the summons, even if I need to buy them.

Thanks.
i think chocobo chick is pre-order exclusive, so you will have to wait until the summons are available to purchase or pre-order.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Y'all tripping over this summons/sidequest stuff. Everything else about the game is really good. I get why they went the route they did with the summons and it doesn't bother me at all.

Just wait til it come out THEN judge
Are people not allowed to critically discuss the information we currently have about gameplay design decisions? On an enthusiast forum?