• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Oh no is FF7R is now bad catching on?

I'm curious what area this even is. 😯
If they're smart it'll be Sector 7. But if not it's most likely Sector 5/6. My guess is it's early on after the first mission and it's Sector 7 expanded beyond what it was before and that's where most of the game will revolve around since they're adding missions/scenarios/etc.

Sector 5 and 7 will probably be the focal points for obvious reasons.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Are people not allowed to critically discuss the information we currently have about gameplay design decisions? On an enthusiast forum?
The summon stuff just seems like a small thing to nitpick on that doesn't affect gameplay or anything, but that's just me. I'm all for them applying some extra effort to make summons more interactable vs them just coming in to do an attack and leave. The trade off is of course I guess the "effect and scale" vs having a temporary NPC...but to each his/her own

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The summon stuff just seems like a small thing to nitpick on that doesn't affect gameplay or anything, but that's just me. I'm all for them applying some extra effort to make summons more interactable vs them just coming in to do an attack and leave. The trade off is of course I guess the "effect and scale" vs having a temporary NPC...but to each his/her own
Summons are controllable since final fantasy x, though...

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
In the same post you said that the summons don't "affect gameplay" and then described how they affect gameplay.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
"summon stuff doesn't affect gameplay"
Summons literally are part of gameplay....whut

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Haha why is that a bad thing?? FF15's cities and rando NPCs were pretty good if I recall right.
I like XV but the NPCs are quite bland. In fact, NPCs in Final Fantasy have been kinda bad for some time, so it's expected (not including XIV here).

But to comment on the "oh FFVII is bad now??" thing, I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just not liking the generic side quest stuff that SE has been putting in Final Fantasy lately. But everything else I like here. I really enjoyed XV despite some of its flaws, and I imagine it will be the same for VIIR.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
In the same post you said that the summons don't "affect gameplay" and then described how they affect gameplay.
I mean in the way that's making people bothered about it. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal is what I mean as far as effect on gameplay. I just don't see it as being inherently bad when you can actually semi control the summon and have them fight alongside you vs just doing some major flashy attack then leaving...I'd rather take the more "efforted" approach..if that's a word.

But like I said its just my opinion. We can agree to disagree

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There's very little about FF15 that is good
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few small summons (Carbuncle, Cactuar, and chocobo chick) are behind the special editions. If it's anything like Carbuncle for FFXV, they'll be pretty inconsequential gameplay-wise. Still lame though. I dislike gameplay exclusive gameplay content.
The crappy little baby summons (cactuar, carbuncle and Choco/mog) are preorder and/or deluxe edition exclusive.

Agreed, that is lame. inconsequential or not.. we've been waiting decades and but I think it's unfair to do this, honestly.
But.. it is SE.. you know how they can be with preorder bonuses.. Avengers, Deus Ex. :/

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It literally affects gameplay, making your original point still....wrong lol. And just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others.

You called it nitpicking and that it doesn't affect gameplay, and it very much does. Backtracking or shifting the goalposts doesn't really...change that. You're right though it is people's opinions and all that.

XV definitely is a flawed game, but it did have its merits. Of course, highly subjective.

Besides, if it truly was that bad then it probably should've sold worse than it did...but it actually did well
"Sales don't matter except when they support my argument"
See also: "reviews don't matter unless they support my argument"
Schrodingers Sales/Reviews

You can literally play FF15 from the very beginning until the very end with just potions and warp strike and not die, you don't need anything else
Oh I agree, I think FFXV is a garbage game with very little merit, beyond just looking pretty and having 2 good boss battles. But I was just joking because I saw people retorting you. People like XV for some reason.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this discussion about cities in final fantasy vii part 1 vs ff15 is weird, because the entire game is in one city

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
It literally affects gameplay, making your original point still....wrong lol. And just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others.

You called it nitpicking and that it doesn't affect gameplay, and it very much does. Backtracking or shifting the goalposts doesn't really...change that. You're right though it is people's opinions and all that.

"Sales don't matter except when they support my argument"
See also: "reviews don't matter unless they support my argument"
Schrodingers Sales/Reviews

Oh I agree, I think FFXV is a garbage game with very little merit, beyond just looking pretty and having 2 good boss battles. But I was just joking because I saw people retorting you. People like XV for some reason.
But how is what I'm saying a straight up bad thing? They literally make a cutscene attack into something more...I kinda feel like that's an upgrade just based on principle. I understand the nostalgia is there for a big flashy setpiece type move/magic cause I liked them too back then..... but having them out to fight with you PLUS finishing with a big flashy move kinda seems like they at least ATTEMPTED to appease both crowds.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
And....? Its not like item abuse ruins a game. The same happens in Nier Automata and its a great game.
Well that's because writers were involved in Nier Automata. But I digress this thread is about FF7 not another FFXV debate. :P

But how is what I'm saying a straight up bad thing? They literally make a cutscene attack into something more...I kinda feel like that's an upgrade just based on principle. I understand the nostalgia is there for a big flashy setpiece type move/magic cause I liked them too back then..... but having them out to fight with you PLUS finishing with a big flashy move kinda seems like they at least ATTEMPTED to appease both crowds.
And It's fine for you to feel that way. It's not fine for you to assume it's just nostalgia goggles but it's fine for you to like the new implementation more. But it affects gameplay and your preference is irrelevant to that objective fact.

And yeah they tried to appease everyone, although a simple programming of pulling the enemy into a cutscene would have been more scaleable and easier to do in the long run, I give them kudos for letting you use summons on....some...fights yeah nevermind it's still dumb that because of this concession we now can't use summons whenever we want, but we'll see how limited it is in the game.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really worried about this game since I've loved everything I've seen so far (Carbuncle aside), but npc's have been pretty blah for the series once every character had to have voice acting for the sake of realism, and the voice actors are usually noticeably worse than the main cast. I don't mind fetch quests at all tbh, I just miss going into a town and being able to talk to pretty much everyone instead of only being able to eavesdrop and get quests from a few of them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Being better than XIII in this aspect it's not much since it's worse in everything else.
It should come as no surprise that this game is drawing much more inspiration from XIII than from XV.

Probably why I'm not super enthused by it thus far. XIII was an absolute garbage game from top to bottom.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Haha why is that a bad thing?? FF15's cities and rando NPCs were pretty good if I recall right.
Wasn't a fan of how "normie" they looked. You had a group of bros with fantastic looks and fantastic hair, then NPCs that looked like generic, normies.

With FFVII, I think Square is taking for granted that the look of the main cast of characters (Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Aerith, Red XIII, even Biggs, Wedge and Jessie) aren't suposed to be visual exceptions to the look of other folk in the world. THEY ARE A PART of that world, other NPCs should reflect that. It isn't OUR world, there's no need to make people look normie or super realistically casual. The original FFVII had NPCs that looked like these:
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest

^^^ A world where everyday people look like this is the world that spaws heroes like these:
EQKeL5uXYAAPrfj.jpg
'
It's not a world of bland normies.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Well that's because writers were involved in Nier Automata. But I digress this thread is about FF7 not another FFXV debate. :P

And It's fine for you to feel that way. It's not fine for you to assume it's just nostalgia goggles but it's fine for you to like the new implementation more. But it affects gameplay and your preference is irrelevant to that objective fact.

And yeah they tried to appease everyone, although a simple programming of pulling the enemy into a cutscene would have been more scaleable and easier to do in the long run, I give them kudos for letting you use summons on....some...fights yeah nevermind it's still dumb that because of this concession we now can't use summons whenever we want, but we'll see how limited it is in the game.
Which is WHY I was like "y'all just wait til the game drop THEN judge"

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm not really worried about this game since I've loved everything I've seen so far (Carbuncle aside), but npc's have been pretty blah for the series once every character had to have voice acting for the sake of realism, and the voice actors are usually noticeably worse than the main cast. I don't mind fetch quests at all tbh, I just miss going into a town and being able to talk to pretty much everyone instead of only being able to eavesdrop and get quests from a few of them.
Yeah some of the best things about text based games were that everyone had their own little dialogues and flavor texts that changed over time. Not just some. That being said I just remembered JOhnny is in Midgar when you first arrive at FF7, I wonder if they're going to give that time too.

Which is WHY I was like "y'all just wait til the game drop THEN judge"
Right. After you said the thing that was wrong and then said because in your opinion it's better. That's why I'm moving on from said point.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And....? Its not like item abuse ruins a game. The same happens in Nier Automata and its a great game.
If putting in the least amount of effort can let me finish a game without even dying then I don't see any reason to put effort into anything else that's in it

I didn't use magic once the whole game because there was no reason to, that means I didn't bother to look for or craft the best magic

Oct 25, 2017
If putting in the least amount of effort can let me finish a game without even dying then I don't see any reason to put effort into anything else that's in it

I didn't use magic once the whole game because there was no reason to, that means I didn't bother to look for or craft the best magic
The game definitely has massive balancing issues. It could really use a Hard Mode. I was surprised it never happened in all of the updates.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Probably why I'm not super enthused by it thus far. XIII was an absolute garbage game from top to bottom.
I'm pretty happy that this is expanding on XIII by being a focused game that don't want to be everything and ends up being nothing like XV.
I wouldn't say XV is garbage because this is hyperbolic, it's just an incomplete game tied with 2 and 3 being the worst of the franchise.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017

I liked XV and I somewhat agree with this sentiment. It WAS a little easy with items working the way they did and magic did seem kinda not-necessary except for EXP buffing....and it doesn't help that it affected your teammates too, even though I thought the attention to that detail was pretty cool even if it was a slight annoyance at times.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The game definitely has massive balancing issues. It could really use a Hard Mode. I was surprised it never happened in all of the updates.
They were too busy making the story coherent.

That being said I wish they'd stick to action or turn based. I still prefer turnbased over Square's ideas of Action combat in 99% of their games (the 1% being a few of the KH titles). FF7 seems to be TRYING to find a happy medium between both.

I'd still prefer FF7 to just embrace cooldown mechanics since the ATB is literally just auto attack to fill a bar like XB2 was, and yet people hated that system, so I dunno. Maybe it's the presentation. I still think FFXV had one of the least effective fight systems in the game and it didn't make trudging through its world any better until they gave you god mode in the scripted battles.

FF7 is making a lot of people who played it happy, but I'm curious to see how it "Scales" as gameplay progresses.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty happy that this is expanding on XIII by being a focused game that don't want to be everything and ends up being nothing like XV.
I wouldn't say XV is garbage because this is hyperbolic, it's just an incomplete game tied with 2 and 3 being the worst of the franchise.

I'll put it this way: I think XV is an extremely, extremely flawed game, but I still managed to beat it and get the platinum and the ending gave me the strongest emotional reaction I've had to an FF game in over a decade.

I've never finished XIII. I got halfway through Gran Pulse and realized I didn't care at all about the world or any of the characters and I didn't enjoy the battle system or the music. There was literally nothing pushing me forward.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'll put it this way: I think XV is an extremely, extremely flawed game, but I still managed to beat it and get the platinum and the ending gave me the strongest emotional reaction I've had to an FF game in over a decade.

I've never finished XIII. I got halfway through Gran Pulse and realized I didn't care at all about the world or any of the characters and I didn't enjoy the battle system or the music. There was literally nothing pushing me forward.

You are me almost. Same although I never platinum'd FFXV.

I liked Lightning at least but not enough for me to finish the game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Wow, lots of complaints in this thread about the quest screenshot. Meanwhile, I'm totally here to get the platinum in all episodes. Let's go!

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm not a fan of their being a major quest system in the game, I'd rather have side quests be discoverable and not something that shows up on the minimap and is categorized in a menu.