• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as i can skip all side quest and still chug along, im good.
That's what I'm hoping, I don't want to see things like "finish 5 more quests to get your mercenary group to level 3 before you can progress to the next chapter"

or "finish 10 more materia quests to get the bahamut materia"

stuff like this is game design at its worst

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That's what I'm hoping, I don't want to see things like "finish 5 more quests to get your mercenary group to level 3 before you can progress to the next chapter"

or "finish 10 more materia quests to get the bahamut materia"

stuff like this is game design at its worst

The second thing is totally fine imo. Locking strong spells or stuff like that behind optional content is a staple of the franchise and something I honestly want from it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What if the secret is that this is a full remake of the entire game and thus no "Part 1" needed on the title? 🤔

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The second thing is totally fine imo. Locking strong spells or stuff like that behind optional content is a staple of the franchise and something I honestly want from it.
That is not a staple of the franchise, some of the best stuff is usually behind 1 single hidden quest, not a grind of multiple quests

some of the summons you even found lying on the ground out in the open that you find just from exploring

alot of times you didn't even realize you were doing a side quest

example, getting clouds ultimate weapon was a single side quest but it didn't feel like one

Last edited:

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I AM curious about is how magic will be handled. In XV it was just limited to Fire, Ice, Lightning and Ring magic....I hope we get the usual varied FF magic buffet cause I gots to have me some Ultima amongst others.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if the secret is that this is a full remake of the entire game and thus no "Part 1" needed on the title? 🤔

*As Sephiroth is going to make his cliffhanger leave, he slips and falls down the stairs breaking his neck*

Cloud: Oh well, I saved the world!
Tifa: is over?
Cloud: is over
*grabs Tifa and kisses her*
Aerith: But how is this possible...what about my calling as Cetra?
Cloud: Is ok, no need for that!! I saved the world!!
*grabs Aerith and kisses her*
Barret: But you didn't do anything...
Cloud: Oh shut up you dummy!
*grabs Barret and kisses him*
RedXIII:....I'm out of here...
Cloud: No you don't...now you are all married to me!! I'm your husbando!!
*grabs RedXIII and kisses him*
*Somehow Yuffie and Vincent are also there looking at the scene speechless*

THE END.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That is not a staple of the franchise, some of the best stuff is usually behind 1 single hidden quest, not a grind of multiple quests

some of the summons you even found lying on the ground out in the open that you find just from exploring

Every FF has hidden strong stuff behind optional content. Be it weapons, summons you name it.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

example, getting clouds ultimate weapon was a single side quest but it didn't feel like one
VII had some really grindy stuff. KOTR was gated behind the chocobo breeding and rating. A whole bunch of high level materia and Omnislash were gated by the Battle Square. I guess technically each of those may count as one sidequest, but it's not like the game was devoid of grind.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You are me almost. Same although I never platinum'd FFXV.

I liked Lightning at least but not enough for me to finish the game.

I didn't even like Lightning. I couldn't understand what anyone saw in her - she's like an even grumpier version of Advent Children Cloud who somehow has an even stupider haircut.

The entire time I was playing that game my internal monologue was just "WHY NOT VERSUS". Eventually the boredom caught up to me and after like 10 Cie'th Stone quests I just got bored and started playing something else.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I AM curious about is how magic will be handled. In XV it was just limited to Fire, Ice, Lightning and Ring magic....I hope we get the usual varied FF magic buffet cause I gots to have me some Ultima amongst others.
I wouldn't be super surprised to see the summons kinda broken up from game to game to create a sense of escalation from one to the next (Bahamut as the ultimate summon in this one, Neo-Bahamut in part 2, Bahamut ZERO and KOTR in part 3, et cetera).

Magic-wise, I feel like we're obviously gonna see fire/ice/lightning/cure/life/protect/shell/haste and so on, but I bet stuff like Comet/Contain/Ultima/Quake and so on will be reserved for later games. It's possible

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
See I thought the opposite. My first thought when they showed the redesigns was so that they can sell the old costumes back.

Tbh, I wouldn't be totally against this. It might shut up the "omg censorshiiiiiiiiiiip" crowd.

Releasing the old designs would probably add more flames, considering the characters will never look like some people think, not sure SE wants to touch that can of worms. Also I dunno if scenes are fully in-game or in-engine or even some CG, that will make it impossible too.

*As Sephiroth is going to make his cliffhanger leave, he slips and falls down the stairs breaking his neck*

Cloud: Oh well, I saved the world!
Tifa: is over?
Cloud: is over
*grabs Tifa and kisses her*
Aerith: But how is this possible...what about my calling as Cetra?
Cloud: Is ok, no need for that!! I saved the world!!
*grabs Aerith and kisses her*
Barret: But you didn't do anything...
Cloud: Oh shut up you dummy!
*grabs Barret and kisses him*
RedXIII:....I'm out of here...
Cloud: No you don't...now you are all married to me!! I'm your husbando!!
*grabs RedXIII and kisses him*
*Somehow Yuffie and Vincent are also there looking at the scene speechless*

THE END.

now I will be dissapointed if this is not the ending.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VII had some really grindy stuff. KOTR was gated behind the chocobo breeding and rating. A whole bunch of high level materia and Omnislash were gated by the Battle Square. I guess technically each of those may count as one sidequest, but it's not like the game was devoid of grind.
When you compare to most rpgs today it sure feels like it was devoid of grind

I rather find clouds ultimate weapon by finding a boss flying in the sky than, finish all these quests on this list to get clouds weapon

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Yep .
Kill 10 monsters in a quest or kill 10 monster in the area all the same to me .

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I didn't even like Lightning. I couldn't understand what anyone saw in her - she's like an even grumpier version of Advent Children Cloud who somehow has an even stupider haircut.

The entire time I was playing that game my internal monologue was just "WHY NOT VERSUS". Eventually the boredom caught up to me and after like 10 Cie'th Stone quests I just got bored and started playing something else.

It was mostly the novelty of having a female edgelord as the protagonist along with her having a nice English voice. Also she won me over when she punched Snow in the face.

What's wrong with Lightning's hair? It looks pretty mundane compared to most hairstyles in FF.

latest

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Yep .
Kill 10 monsters in a quest or kill 10 monster in the area all the same to me .

In the end, it really only matters if it's fun.

I think that, in the end, if you didn't find XIII or XV fun to play just with battles or exploring, the rest of it was going to not look very good to you.

I've discovered that as I returned to WoW this last time, I really just only prefer doing the things I like doing, without having to grind to get to the position where i can do those things. It's the South Park line from the WoW episode after they've killed the griefer: "What do we do now?" "We play the game. (sic)"

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will gladly take the battle stuff, chocobo races, very basic RTS and other minigames, over the shitty 'hunts' and other fetch quests that plagued FF in the recent years.

Minigames >>>>> shitty fetch quests/hunts from XV and others

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, it really only matters if it's fun.

I think that, in the end, if you didn't find XIII or XV fun to play just with battles or exploring, the rest of it was going to not look very good to you.

I've discovered that as I returned to WoW this last time, I really just only prefer doing the things I like doing, without having to grind to get to the position where i can do those things. It's the South Park line from the WoW episode after they've killed the griefer: "What do we do now?" "We play the game. (sic)"

Very true .
Once i find the battle system fun or other aspects i like to do all the side content no matter how it's done .

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy quests and optional content tends to be very mechanics-driven to me. Sometimes you get a mostly/entirely story or dialogue-heavy quest or scene about inconsequential but interesting stuff, but it's not really the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the core side content in Final Fantasy. I mainly see fans talk about and get excited for stuff like ultimate weapons, mini games, secret rooms/areas, super bosses, and hunts too, so that seems to be what a lot of people have come to look forward to from the series in this area. If a lot of FFVIIR's side content is oriented around the combat and other gameplay systems it wouldn't really be that out of place in the series to me.

I get the impression that that's just how they like to approach things in this series for the single player entries (for now, maybe FFXVI will take a different approach and have more elaborate optional sub plots and NPC interactions). Compared to a number of RPGs out there, there's not a lot of room for story information to get lost in optional quests and conversations in the average mainline Final Fantasy game.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a slim blonde guy with a giant sword
a big dude with a prosthetic machine gun
a big talking moogle
a talking lion

"hmm, that kid doesnt look right in ff7 world"

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I will gladly take the battle stuff, chocobo races, very basic RTS and other minigames, over the shitty 'hunts' and other fetch quests that plagued FF in the recent years.

Minigames >>>>> shitty fetch quests/hunts from XV and others

I can agree with this.

Something I've scratched my head over while reading this thread though is a few seem fine with XII's Hunts but don't seem fine with the equivalent in XIII/XV.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was mostly the novelty of having a female edgelord as the protagonist along with her having a nice English voice. Also she won me over when she punched Snow in the face.

What's wrong with Lightning's hair? It looks pretty mundane compared to most hairstyles in FF.

latest

It looks like she cut it herself. I just think it's ugly, especially the combination of the hair color and the weird uneven lengths.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I can agree with this.

Something I've scratched my head over while reading this thread though is a few seem fine with XII's Hunts but don't seem fine with the equivalent in XIII/XV.
I wouldn't have minded the hunts in XV if everything in that game wasn't a chore and if I enjoyed the combat. Never played through XIII to the point that I got sidequests, so I can't speak to that one.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I rather find clouds ultimate weapon by finding a boss flying in the sky than, finish all these quests on this list to get clouds weapon
Honestly, I hope that the final game in this series is treated sort of like FFVI's World of Ruin or like Chrono Trigger's post-Epoch endgame. I don't want grindy meaningless stuff to get ultimate weapons OR for them to just be lying around in a missable chest if you bring the right party member to the right story sequence.

I'd love for the final game (the third one, I assume?) to give each cast member a fleshed-out sidequest to power them up that's just as good as the optional Wutai stuff for Yuffie and the optional (very well-hidden) Lucrecia stuff for Vincent.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I wouldn't have minded the hunts in XV if everything in that game wasn't a chore and if I enjoyed the combat. Never played through XIII to the point that I got sidequests, so I can't speak to that one.

Ah yeah, I think enjoying the combat/gameplay could be why, then. I didn't care for either XII or XV, so I didn't really care for the hunts in either. I liked some of the Cieth Stone quests in XIII because I liked the combat.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fetch quests are a part of any game with huge hubs or an open-world. They're less noticeable in some games because you get more story-driven quests, but you'd be out of budget before end of development if they all were like that. And if you don't have them, people will say the game feels empty in some regions.

Having fetch quests is great, but their best design is to make the player feel they can skip them without hurting their experience.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fetch quests are a part of any game with huge hubs or an open-world. They're less noticeable in some games because you get more story-driven quests, but you'd be out of budget before end of development if they all were like that. And if you don't have them, people will say the game feels empty in some regions.

Having fetch quests is great, but their best design is to make the player feel they can skip them without hurting their experience.
Yes xenoblade 1 and 2 did that well imo, xenoblade Torna didn't though

but I don't agree about fetch quests being needed

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't think of a worst Chocobo-related follow-up to IX's lovely Hot & Cold.

There are a lot of reasons why I think FFX was the beginning of the FF franchise's decline that still persists today.

Chocobo balloon collecting is one of those reasons.

Also ONLY HAVING FOUR ELEMENTS YET HAVING ICE AND WATER BE SEPARATE ELEMENTS GOD DAMN IT TORIYAMA