• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
There are a lot of reasons why I think FFX was the beginning of the FF franchise's decline that still persists today.

Chocobo balloon collecting is one of those reasons.

Also ONLY HAVING FOUR ELEMENTS YET HAVING ICE AND WATER BE SEPARATE ELEMENTS GOD DAMN IT TORIYAMA
Even more frustrating when you see some of the praise that X gets. They turned overworld & airship exploration into picking locations from a menu. Dungeons became corridor crawls. Bleh, I dislike it so much.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
So, uh, is there a reason people are being so melodramatic about a sidequest menu? I've read this entire thread now and I really don't see the issue with the game adding in sidequests.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, is there a reason people are being so melodramatic about a sidequest menu? I've read this entire thread now and I really don't see the issue with the game adding in sidequests.

The main issue is more that it's reminding people of the extremely cookie-cutter side missions in FFXV, Crisis Core and other modern RPGs yet we've seen very, very little actually new SUBSTANTIAL content in the game.

When one of Square's main excuses for cutting the game at the end of Midgar is "we wanted to flesh it out as much as possible", the presence of a bunch of disposable side quests but not much new content kind of starts to make that excuse ring hollow.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
The renders just made me wonder for the first time... Who accessorized Red? He has no opposable thumbs. Is Bugenhagen all about fashion?

Also:

022.jpg

023.jpg

8edd46dd9b16b95a60b9d5a19ca83f0a.jpg

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
My friend pointed this out but now I can't unsee it every time I see Carbuncle from FF7.

unknown.gif

a slim blonde guy with a giant sword
a big dude with a prosthetic machine gun
a big talking moogle
a talking lion

"hmm, that kid doesnt look right in ff7 world"
Part of that is the change from styles that came with Advent Children and FFXV pushing realism but stylized character models. I would have much rather the whole game be built around this aesthetic,
hunter-mortenson-screenshot000.jpg

but I know it wouldn't sell as well because "cartoons"

But part of the problem is that you had a game that for all intents and purposes was super anime/2D inspired and chibis and now we're juxtaposing a lot of "real ass" looking people. Like the big guy in FFXV was kinda unsettling to me because he felt very out of place.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I saw a photoshop of someone shrinking the head on carbuncle and it looks perfect that way. Change it, Square.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm convinced the ruby is the actual eye and the rest of its face is painted on to lure prey

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
i loved everything so far that we saw from this game but goddam this picture gives me FF XV Vibes....and i'm scared

EQqjmzMUYAAtaFI

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
everytime i look at choco chick i cant help but think of Howard the Duck.
howardtheduck.jpg

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Again, I'm not sure what's making people go all doom and gloom about a single screenshot. Like, I understand that other FF games had dumb sidequests, but I don't get what the big deal is with this screenshot in particular.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Game was always gonna have shortcomings. Not gonna waste energy catastrophizing. Still looks like a great time overall.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Part of that is the change from styles that came with Advent Children and FFXV pushing realism but stylized character models. I would have much rather the whole game be built around this aesthetic,
hunter-mortenson-screenshot000.jpg

but I know it wouldn't sell as well because "cartoons"
Damn, I would KILL for a FFVII Remake to look like this. Sometimes it feels really frustrating to have preferences like this when most other people are jacking off to cutting-edge realism while simultaneously wiping their asses with "cartoony, kiddie BS", as if it was disposable 1-ply toilet paper.

But unlike FFXV, you're actually surrounded by a likeable cast with substance in FF7R. Tifa has more personality in her finger than Gladio and Ignis combined.
I don't know, I thought FFXV's cast was pretty likable. The bros personalities and such weren't my problem with FFXV.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If VII were remade in a less realistic aesthetic, I'd prefer it look more like its concept art than comic book style.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I thought FFXV's cast was pretty likable. The bros personalities and such weren't my problem with FFXV.

Ignis' complete meltdown when the black chocobo stole his glasses, and Noctis' hysterical laughter in response to Ignis whining about it, was such a great character moment. It's the most realistic dialogue exchange in ANY Final Fantasy game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I would KILL for a FFVII Remake to look like this. Sometimes it feels really frustrating to have preferences like this when most other people are jacking off to cutting-edge realism while simultaneously wiping their asses with "cartoony, kiddie BS", as if it was disposable 1-ply toilet paper.
Yeah it sucks cause stylized stuff tends to stand the test of time better. Where cutting edge realism ends up looking dated in 5/6 years

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Christ, this just proves it. There's no place left to go to discuss video games without it being completely overrun with negativity.

You know the cool thing about side quests? If you don't like them, you can fucking skip them. Just lay off and let the rest of us enjoy the game.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am going into this being completely optimistic which is something from a negative person.

There seems to be people with complete lack of imagination on what I believe they are planning to do. There are too many thinking it is a straight up remake only 10 hours of content and anything that strays from the critical path is filler.
I am seeing this as a full fledged Final Fantasy title like the last few it will take 80 to 100 hours to Platinum.

If this game was not a remake but an original title people would not be batting an eye. All the main story beats will be there but there will be new ones as well which will be resolved in Midgar before leaving. The original game didn't even go to two sectors. The 8 sectors used to be 8 towns and I expect each will be visually different but since they joined together a commonality in them.

As for the summons I think the preorder ones will be used on normal enemies. Look at the cactuar screenshot, it is fighting a Hedgehog Pie a normal enemy in the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am going into this being completely optimistic which is something from a negative person.

There seems to be people with complete lack of imagination on what I believe they are planning to do. There are too many thinking it is a straight up remake only 10 hours of content and anything that strays from the critical path is filler.
I am seeing this as a full fledged Final Fantasy title like the last few it will take 80 to 100 hours to Platinum.

If this game was not a remake but an original title people would not be batting an eye. All the main story beats will be there but there will be new ones as well which will be resolved in Midgar before leaving. The original game didn't even go to two sectors. The 8 sectors used to be 8 towns and I expect each will be visually different but since they joined together a commonality in them.

As for the summons I think the preorder ones will be used on normal enemies. Look at the cactuar screenshot, it is fighting a Hedgehog Pie a normal enemy in the game.

All eight sectors are not going to be explorable. We'll be lucky if we get to see four. If the plan was to make Midgar a full open-world city they would be screaming that from the rooftops.