• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
They said they wanted to put it in parts because the original game is too big, not that they wanted to make everything bigger.

Original Midgar as is is a massive undertaking for them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Prove it. Kitase and Nomura said that is why they want to put it in parts.

I'm sorry, but the game was supposed to be out a month from now. If they were going to do eight entirely diverse, fully explorable sectors, they would be talking about that and showing it off. They have not shown anything new aside from a very brief glimpse of a suburb.

Link? I seem to remember them saying they put in in parts so as to cut as little as possible, not to make Midgar fully explorable.

Yeah, that is what they said. Not that they were going to make Midgar an open-world city.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
All eight sectors are not going to be explorable. We'll be lucky if we get to see four. If the plan was to make Midgar a full open-world city they would be screaming that from the rooftops.
I believe they will with two discs of content, I am not saying it will be open world but the whole city will be visited. SE has been marketing on the nostalgia value so far leaving the new content to be explored.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
They said they wanted to put it in parts because the original game is too big, not that they wanted to make everything bigger.

Original Midgar as is is a massive undertaking for them.

That too but they also wanted to fleshed out Midgar as well. So if you guys think it going to be 20hrs with large FMVs like PlanetSmasher thinks.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

For those worried about the voice acting, I think this video shows how fun the banter has been from footage that is available so far (note, this contains some footage from the leaked demo). I think the performances are overall really good.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
That too but they also wanted to fleshed out Midgar as well. So if you guys think it going to be 20hrs with large FMVs like PlanetSmasher thinks.
They said they wanted to avoid a 'summarised' remake. So they will have to flesh it out cause you cant just make a 4 hour remake. But yeah, I can see the main story being 20 hours. With these sidequests it will look more like 40-60. So not too dissimilar to FFXV

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know the cool thing about side quests? If you don't like them, you can fucking skip them.
If your able to do that without progressing the story or missing some of best materia and gear then that will be great

the only rewards for all these quests should only be exp and money and no main story gating hopefully

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I believe they will with two discs of content, I am not saying it will be open world but the whole city will be visited. SE has been marketing on the nostalgia value so far leaving the new content to be explored.

It won't be. Trust me when I say this. If you're expecting all eight sectors, you're going to walk away disappointed. The amount of crowbarring they'd have to do to the story to justify that would completely break the narrative.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I would take Square at their word here. If every sector of Midgar were explorable, I'm very certain we would know if by now. Im one of the more optimistic people in this thread but I would worry that being so sure of this would be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I would take Square at their word here. If every sector of Midgar were explorable, I'm very certain we would know if by now. Im one of the more optimistic people in this thread but I would worry that being so sure of this would be setting yourself up for disappointment.

May be not. If we look at everything we know about the game it is surprisingly little. I have heard very little call for what's new but lots of "I want to see the Honey Bee Inn" and "I want to see Tifa's Bar" so far everything is nostalgia.

Hopefully the previews will enlighten us whenever the embargo lifts.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
They said the game would be on two discs, no? Not that it has two discs of content. I imagine one of them will be a data disc, like with RDR2.

Definitely do not see a fully explorable eight sectors. As it is, I'm not even seeing how they're going to feasibly stretch this content into a 30 - 40 hour game.

EDIT: That being said, WHAT the fuck is up with Carbuncle and the chocobo chick.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
They said they wanted to avoid a 'summarised' remake. So they will have to flesh it out cause you cant just make a 4 hour remake. But yeah, I can see the main story being 20 hours. With these sidequests it will look more like 40-60. So not too dissimilar to FFXV

FFXV was an embarrassment to the franchise. I think it will be longer than that maybe 80 to 100hrs to platinum.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV was an embarrassment to the franchise. I think it will be longer than that maybe 80 to 100hrs to platinum.

I really, truly think some of y'all have hopes way too high for this game. 100 hours doing what? If there was all this brand new hidden content they would be marketing it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
They said the game would be on two discs, no? Not that it has two discs of content. I imagine one of them will be a data disc, like with RDR2.

Definitely do not see a fully explorable eight sectors. As it is, I'm not even seeing how they're going to feasibly stretch this content into a 30 - 40 hour game.

EDIT: That being said, WHAT the fuck is up with Carbuncle and the chocobo chick.

Still look at the amount of content RDR2 provided even with an install disc and visually astounding.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm sticking with my prediction of a 25-30 hour main story and maybe ten hours of side content. Maybe a little more side content given that it looks like each chapter has a decent chunk of it.

The thing is, no Final Fantasy game except maybe XII has that coveted 50 hour main story I've seen some people expecting. Even all of FFVII itself can be mainlined in about 30 hours. The only FF game that really attempted to do the "huge open world packed with content" thing was XV, and it suffered pretty greatly for it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I dont really know why people want such a long game tbh. What I see happening is it'll be like Crisis Core but with new game + and lots of materia to unlock or something.

I bet playthroughs will be double or more for people who do sidestuff, just based off the fact that there's sidequests for every episode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshooting this and saving it for future references.

They've never, at any point in the game's marketing cycle, said they were going to allow you to explore the entire city. If that was the plan they would absolutely be screaming about it from the rooftops because it's a huge selling point.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I think we've only heard one English line out of him so far and it did not sound like Matt to me.

To be fair, outside of the Witcher almost no modern RPGs have good sidequest design.
Your inability to tolerate anything that isn't a third person over the shoulder rpg throws suspicion on that statement

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The side quests images is giving me strong Lightning Returns vibes.

Its being made by the same team, after all

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
They've never, at any point in the game's marketing cycle, said they were going to allow you to explore the entire city. If that was the plan they would absolutely be screaming about it from the rooftops because it's a huge selling point.

Pretty sure they have been tight lip for a reason Showing the same places and scenes. I remember reading a interview where they wanted to expand the amount of places that you could explore, they said they will expand the city.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they have been tight lip for a reason Showing the same places and scenes. I remember reading a interview where they wanted to expand the amount of places that you could explore, they said they will expand the city.

They said they would expand it. They never at any point said they were going to let you see the entire city. There is an entire multiverse of difference between "we added a new dungeon or two" and "hey guys we added SEVEN ENTIRELY NEW SECTORS all full of brand new content".

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Occams razor, they haven't shown new sectors yet because they aren't in it.

Anyway there is expansion of stuff in the new trailer:wreckage of sector 7 plate. Probably there'll be more stuff like that. I think also we get to see what Barrett is up to while Cloud, Tifa and Aerith are crushing Don's balls.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
May be not. If we look at everything we know about the game it is surprisingly little. I have heard very little call for what's new but lots of "I want to see the Honey Bee Inn" and "I want to see Tifa's Bar" so far everything is nostalgia.

Hopefully the previews will enlighten us whenever the embargo lifts.
Yakuza-like Tifa's Bar minigame.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
- Red looks absolutely perfect. Wow.
- It's going to an effort to not want to play as Tifa all the time,just kicking and punching the shit out of everything. Her move set/abilities continue to look amazing.
- ...the less said about Carbuncle and the Chocobo chick the better. (They're terrifying, send help.)
- Add me into the nervous about the side-quests camp. The implementation of the side-quests in Lightning Returns and FFXV was frustrating filler.

Yes, this. After FFXV and KH3, with Square it seems like if they're not advertising it, it's not going to be in the game - regardless of whether it's character/plot/exploration. They didn't even hold back one of Jenova's forms or Red from advertising.

Pre-FFXV: Luna's going to have an awesome role, that's why they're not spoiling it!
Post-FFXV: ...oh. Sigh.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i loved everything so far that we saw from this game but goddam this picture gives me FF XV Vibes....and i'm scared

EQqjmzMUYAAtaFI
But unlike FFXV, you're actually surrounded by a likeable cast with substance in FF7R. Tifa has more personality in her finger than Gladio and Ignis combined.

The hyperbole is strong.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Red looks good.

The chocobo and carbunkle abominations are on the other hand...
Kill it with fire asap please.

Last edited:

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
You're exactly right, in my opinion. Coupled with the whole no Part 1 on the front of the box situation, I think it's fair to keep expectations low. They want as many sales as possible and are intentionally making the part-based nature of this game obscure. Initial discussion about this game was all about how massive Midgar would be since it's all we're getting.

Well we're a month or so out and nothing suggests anything like that. I'm incredibly skeptical about Square Enix's plans for remaking the entire original narrative of FF7.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're exactly right, in my opinion. Coupled with the whole no Part 1 on the front of the box situation, I think it's fair to keep expectations low. They want as many sales as possible and are intentionally making the part-based nature of this game obscure. Initial discussion about this game was all about how massive Midgar would be since it's all we're getting.

Well we're a month or so out and nothing suggests anything like that. I'm incredibly skeptical about Square Enix's plans for remaking the entire original narrative of FF7.

I would love to be wrong. I would be very happy if they actually manage to do what seems impossible and turn a 4-hour chunk of game into a full RPG with a ton of new, varied, MEANINGFUL content that justifies the asking price and the three-year wait for most of the good parts of the original VII.

But they're really making it hard to believe it's going to happen considering how little new stuff they've shown.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
at what point did this go from universal praise to a pile of negativity? these new screenshots & people finding out there's sidequests?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
at what point did this go from universal praise to a pile of negativity? these new screenshots & people finding out there's sidequests?

I think the closer we get many just too scared to put much faith for fear of being let down severely. Its just one of those games.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that, and before the last few months of released art/leaks I'd have said this could never live up to expectations, but wow I'm just amazed at what we've seen so far. It really seems like they are pulling it off.

I'm saying that being fine with it being split into parts, and possibly padded with side quests though. I can understand the point the point of view of someone who is annoyed this isn't the entire story in 1 release or whatever.

But wow, I just think everything looks so great so far.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bold Prediction: the added "content" expanding Midgar into a full-length game is vapid, uninteresting and bloats out the game's previously tight pacing.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Lmao @ people saying that opening is a spoiler. I'll just never will connect with most people.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Bold Prediction: the added "content" expanding Midgar into a full-length game is vapid, uninteresting and bloats out the game's previously tight pacing.
People seem to have been fine with the added stuff so far (as in, the more seamless nature & the party banter during it), based on preview impressions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People seem to have been fine with the added stuff so far (as in, the more seamless nature & the party banter during it), based on preview impressions.

The question is, will it work outside of a curated setting designed to provoke hype in preview audiences? Will it work for 30+ hours? Is there enough substance to it?

This is the kind of stuff you really can't get out of advance press previews.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
When anything (literally anything) goes from concept to finished product, there's more to analyze and dissect at gets closer and closer to completion. The more information that comes out about FFVIIR, the more there is to discuss and the more there is to react to.

Take BOTW2 for example. We know absolutely next-to-nothing about the sequel other than the fact that it's being made. The hype and excitement is through the roof. As we get more content, discussion will increase and folks will become enthusiastic about some of reveals they see and concerned about other reveals they see.

It's just part of the natural concept to product cycle in an enthusiast forum. Personally I'm happy that people here are willing to dissect the footage and screenshots critically instead of high fiving, waving banners, and singing songs about the glory of the upcoming release.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The question is, will it work outside of a curated setting designed to provoke hype in preview audiences? Will it work for 30+ hours? Is there enough substance to it?

This is the kind of stuff you really can't get out of advance press previews.
Some of it will, some of it probably won't. We can just hope it's on the side of the working more than the not working, or that atmospheric exploration, fun combat encounters, and at least a few higher quality optional quests & mini-games will carry through those rougher parts.