• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This is a feature exclusive to resetera it seens. Everywhere else people seen to liking it.
An enthusiast forum will always have more critical people vs. masses that have no critical bone in their body when it comes to flashy things. At least we are critical of things that could be worth critique and not whining about Tifa's breast-size reduction like some other parts of the Interwebz.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An enthusiast forum will always have more critical people vs. masses that have no critical bone in their body when it comes to flashy things. At least we are critical of things that could be worth critique and not whining about Tifa's breast-size reduction like some other parts of the Interwebz.

Actually people were really critical to FF XV everywhere. Twitter, Facebook etc. This game is a complete contrast in relation to FF XV.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Actually people were really critical to FF XV everywhere. Twitter, Facebook etc. This game is a complete contrast in relation to FF XV.
XV in general seems to be a bit love it or hate it. I personally really disliked the game, but I've read a lot of comments that say it revived the series for them. What an odd game that is.

Sentiment around this one does seem to be more positive though, with peoples' trepidation about the splitting of the narrative being the one sticking point I keep hearing.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XV in general seems to be a bit love it or hate it. I personally really disliked the game, but I've read a lot of comments that say it revived the series for them. What an odd game that is.

Sentiment around this one does seem to be more positive though, with peoples' trepidation about the splitting of the narrative being the one sticking point I keep hearing.

I like the game actually, I'm talking about the consensus before its release btw. The E3 live demo was a mess, people everywhere were bashing it.

Now after the release it's just seens like it's a "hate" or "love" thing, but I guess this is true to every FF, people really have strong feelings about the main entries.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's almost like a remake of one of the most perfectly-nostalgia-targeted RPGs of all time is going to appeal to that sense of nostalgia for more people than a completely new title.

Like I'm sorry, but I'm not going to trust impressions from someone who literally started crying tears of joy when FFVIIR was announced. That's the definition of an emotionally-compromised viewpoint.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like a remake of one of the most perfectly-nostalgia-targeted RPGs of all time is going to appeal to that sense of nostalgia for more people than a completely new title.

Oof let's pretend that this actually wouldn't give the exact opposite feeling to people making them more critical to it since it's, as you said, a huge nostalgia-targeted RPG.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

Like I'm sorry, but I'm not going to trust impressions from someone who literally started crying tears of joy when FFVIIR was announced. That's the definition of an emotionally-compromised viewpoint.
I'm not gonna lie and say that nostalgia isn't a factor here, but if I saw a brand new FF with these production values, similar gameplay changes and largely glowing previews, I'd still be pretty damn hyped.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm extremely pleased with what I've seen from this with respect to the franchise as a whole, not just the nostalgia bait stuff for VII in particular.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oof let's pretend that this actually wouldn't give the exact opposite feeling to people making them more critical to it since it's, as you said, a huge nostalgia-targeted RPG.

I mean, you're talking to someone exactly like that. The reason I'm being as critical as I am is BECAUSE I've played FFVII through seven or eight times and taped the original ending onto a VHS so I could rewatch it on a whim. That's WHY I'm pushing and why I'm nitpicking because I want the remake to actually be the best game it can possibly be without taking a literal decade or more to finish.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're talking to someone exactly like that. The reason I'm being as critical as I am is BECAUSE I've played FFVII through seven or eight times and taped the original ending onto a VHS so I could rewatch it on a whim. That's WHY I'm pushing and why I'm nitpicking because I want the remake to actually be the best game it can possibly be without taking a literal decade or more to finish.

I'm sorry? But your nipticking and pushing won't make the game better lol It's perfectly fine if you don't like it, but the fact this is a beloved game makes people more critical than they would be about a new entry, but the opposite happened if we consider FF XV where people were way more critical to it than they are with VII remake.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of NPC fetch quests are almost always an awfully basic way of padding out a game.

They are but sometimes they can add a good bit of character and theming while just providing a good excuse to just set up a deliberate encounter.

I think the game, in general, is probably going to be fine and very impressive in some areas, a tad disappointing in others.

Last edited:

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I like the game actually, I'm talking about the consensus before its release btw. The E3 live demo was a mess, people everywhere were bashing it.

Now after the release it's just seens like it's a "hate" or "love" thing, but I guess this is true to every FF, people really have strong feelings about the main entries.

It's the FF cycle unfortunately. The newest game is always scrutinized until the next one comes out. Then people soften on the games over a decade or so, then you get people going back to the games and realizing they're good/great games.

People had a huge fit about FFXI being mainline and going MMO.

People had a huge fit about FFXII having Vaan and being "brown and ugly" and many complaining about combat.

People having huge fits about FFXIII being linear and "characters being unlikable" and "story making no sense".

People having huge fits about FFXIV that continued until Heavensward (but died down a lot with ARR) and people calling ARR a "WoW clone with FF paint".

People had a huge fit about FFXV "not being FF" because it wasnt turn-based. (Even though several mainline FF games were real time at this point XI, XII, and XIV) And that it didn't play out the way they thought it would in their heads.

I was around for each of these and while I'll admit that I shamefully piled on XIII, it's the popular thing to do for some. I think at some point people need to take a step back and realize that while we all care for the franchise, we don't need to nitpick every little thing. Constructive criticism is one thing. Hyperbole is another.

Give these games a chance to come out and go in with an open mind. Don't go in ACTIVELY LOOKING for something not to like. It wont be perfect, but goddamn if these games don't try their best.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

It's like taking Disney Employees reviews of Star Wars seriously or the people who have an entire playlist for trailer reacts. I'm happy they find joy in these things but I'm not going to take their critical opinions seriously in the slightest.

It won't matter. Any dissenting opinion is a "nitpick" or being "negative" because god forbid literally anyone have a critical opinion of anything.

I'm sorry? But your nipticking and pushing won't make the game better lol It's perfectly fine if you don't like it, but the fact this is a beloved game makes people more critical than they would be about a new entry, but the opposite happened if we consider FF XV where people were way more critical to it than they are with VII remake.
There are several people on multiple public forums and social media that think the game is being "faithful" while ghosts circle the shinra building and a dude does skater tricks while on a motorcycle.

Sorry but it's like the New Trek/New Star Wars stuff. People who like the story aren't here to watch a million polygons smoosh into each other and a bunch of particle effects. Some are solely here for story/world and those of us who know the track record of not only Nomura but Square lately aren't going to be persuaded because you keep nonsensically labelling any critique as nitpicking.

Honestly I wish people would learn how to stop using buzzwords to describe others critique when it suits them. Calling everything nitpicking because it doesn't matter to THEM is the epitome of lazy debate/discussion.

Even if we were to ignore FFXV's "critical view" it had a critical view because it was announced a million years before it was ready and every new trailer/demo changed what the game was and/or shown more stuff that never ended up in the final game, on top of the pipeline changes and multiple development issues that were made public along its production. The worst thing FF7 has done is change studios from CyberConnect to in house, but even that doesn't compare to the context and reason behind why people were critical of XV.

There are reasons and context as to why people are critical. Ignoring and/or handwaving them does not make them invalid.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

This is untrue. People were more critical of XV before release because it wasn't tickling their nostalgia boners over and over again for months at a time. And because it wasn't turn-based. And because there were no female characters.

If FFXV was a remake of a game from 20 years ago that everybody played when they were 10, most people would be too blinded by nostalgia to be critical of it UNTIL they got it in their hands. That's how hype works.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is untrue. People were more critical of XV before release because it wasn't tickling their nostalgia boners over and over again for months at a time. And because it wasn't turn-based. And because there were no female characters.

If FFXV was a remake of a game from 20 years ago that everybody played when they were 10, most people would be too blinded by nostalgia to be critical of it UNTIL they got it in their hands. That's how hype works.
You're really wrong. You don't need to go far to see people nipticking the opening of the game that released today. In fact the moment this game got announced people knew that we would get all kinds of hyperbole over every difference of the original because it's such a beloved game.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder what's a good counterfactual because this is kind of like arguing about a nonexistent FFXV.

I guess there's the Seiken Densetsu 3 remake which looks very good but no one played that in the US, (SD3 is a game that's very flawed in several respects)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's a good counterfactual because this is kind of like arguing about a nonexistent FFXV.

I guess there's the Seiken Densetsu 3 remake which looks very good but no one played that in the US.

There really aren't any good counter arguments, I would say. This is probably the most ambitious remake of all time, so there's no real precedent for it - especially given the way they took a relatively short RPG and split it into an unspecified number of full-price parts.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There really aren't any good counter arguments, I would say. This is probably the most ambitious remake of all time, so there's no real precedent for it - especially given the way they took a relatively short RPG and split it into an unspecified number of full-price parts.
I'd say the only close parallel is film with things like the Hobbit book being adapted or other things. Hobbit is the only comparison I can make where a piece of source material was elongated and stretched out using supplementary material to make it "more." And I wasn't a fan personally.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

I can agree with ambition. They're clearly trying to pull off something close to insane. I do think text tends to disguise how short an rpg actually is though when you bring in voice acting, though in the case of FF7, much of it is actually NPC dialogue and I wonder how that'll be kept.

I'd say the only close parallel is film with things like the Hobbit book being adapted or other things. Hobbit is the only comparison I can make where a piece of source material was elongated and stretched out using supplementary material to make it "more." And I wasn't a fan personally.

I will say, FF7R's scene direction looks miles ahead of FFXV's direction and seems to follow up FF12 and 13 in that sense. I want to be optimistic and not be too nitpicky until I play the game because the broad strokes look pretty solid especially since it looks like the kind of HD FF I expected to follow up something like FFXIII funny enough.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saying someone is wrong doesn't make it so. People "nitpicked" over FFXV for a multitude of reasons, and people "nitpick" FF7 because of the record of Nomura and KH3's abyssmal storytelling, on top of the fact that the Compilation has been 90% miss with its "interpretations" of the game's story.

You can keep saying people are being critical because "nostalgia" or that they're nitpicking but until you address literally any of their arguments you're just blindly defending something and that makes your perspective hardly worth countering in the future.

Why you keep quoting me after personal attacking me yesterday? I don't wanna prove anything to you and I couldn't care less If my perspective is worth countering for you in the Future.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I will say, FF7R's scene direction looks miles ahead of FFXV's direction and seems to follow up FF12 and 13 in that sense. I want to be optimistic and not be too nitpicky until I play the game because the broad strokes look pretty solid especially since it looks like the kind of HD FF I expected to follow up something like FFXIII funny enough.
Midgar is easy. It will always be the easiest thing they can do, and even that is going to be bogged down if the side content is required to get the good stuff in the game.

The bombing mission winning people over never won me over simply because it's the mission they've redone and redesigned like 5 times at this point. It's impossible for it to go wrong. I don't care about Midgar, because it's all they've done. It will always be bottom of the barrel to say the Midgar stuff is good. It's the action packed Bayformers section of the game. The rest is where it counts.

Why you keep quoting me after personal attacking me yesterday? I don't wanna prove anything to you and I couldn't care less If my perspective is worth countering for you in the Future.
Personally attacking? Really?

Wow.

Okay.

I'm out.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV is a pretty different situation. It was always hated by a portion of the fanbase (boy band, action RPG, Nomura) and had a lot of baggage

I think both FF XV and VII have lot of baggage for very different reasons. VII not only have the original's baggage as the whole compilation baggage which is controversial at minimum. XV's baggage is really heavy though because to this day people say the game was in development for 10 years.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Not liking what I read about the side quests. Midgar section of FFVII worked because despite it seeing Cloud and co travelling to different places and doing different things, the pacing was on point, and the side activities didn't feel like filler, but something that has purposes in grand scheme of things, for the most parts anyway. I guess they had to find some ways to pad out the gameplay to meet the hours quota.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar is easy. It will always be the easiest thing they can do, and even that is going to be bogged down if the side content is required to get the good stuff in the game.

The bombing mission winning people over never won me over simply because it's the mission they've redone and redesigned like 5 times at this point. It's impossible for it to go wrong. I don't care about Midgar, because it's all they've done. It will always be bottom of the barrel to say the Midgar stuff is good. It's the action packed Bayformers section of the game. The rest is where it counts.

That's true but at the same time they seem to be serious about modernizing elements like the Golden Saucer and Honeybee inn. It's the rest that's important yes, but I think the tower conversation between cloud and Tifa showed some real promise about capturing that tone as well. That being said, not a fan of what they're doing with sephiroth and the sidequests thing seem like a serious question mark, but the field conversations, the way they seem to be trying to flesh out more of avalanche seem great to me. While I think they'll fall short in capturing the whole tone of FF7, I do think they will make some good marks in making a solid work that'll reaffirm more people's confidence in mainline FF in general.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think both FF XV and VII have lot of baggage for very different reasons. VII not only have the original's baggage as the whole compilation baggage which is controversial at minimum. XV's baggage is really heavy though because to this day people say the game was in development for 10 years.

The thing is, while VII will always have people "nitpicking" little things like the position of Cloud's sword in a cutscene or Tifa wearing a sports bra and not a short skirt, there really hasn't been much criticism levied at the remake thus far, ESPECIALLY NOT by the press. Square has been curating the hell out of the experience thus far to make sure the previews are as glowing as possible (this is standard operating procedure for all publishers, not just S-E), and nostalgia is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that regard too.

People like me who are like "well we really don't know how much content there's going to be and Square refuses to show any majorly new content in any previews thus far, so are we supposed to trust that this is going to really be a full-length RPG worth making us wait 3+ more years to see Junon or the Gold Saucer" are the minority here. By comparison FFXV was being ripped apart constantly by just about everyone because no one could agree on what the damn thing was even supposed to be.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
That's true but at the same time they seem to be serious about modernizing elements like the Golden Saucer and Honeybee inn. It's the rest that's important yes, but I think the tower conversation between cloud and Tifa showed some real promise about capturing that tone as well. That being said, not a fan of what they're doing with sephiroth and the sidequests thing seem like a serious question mark, but the field conversations, the way they seem to be trying to flesh out more of avalanche seem great to me. While I think they'll fall short in capturing the whole tone of FF7, I do think they will make some good marks in making a solid work that'll reaffirm more people's confidence in mainline FF in general.
Well we can't speak to the Golden Saucer at this point for one thing but I imagine they're going to go overboard with it like FFXIV did.

There's a few things about the Honeybee Inn that work I suppose, even though I don't think to keep in line with the tone of the original it was needed it's fine for them to have some "Fun" with it.

The tone capture is something that's interesting because we have our own memories of those scenes so when we see the scenes that are capturing the same actions it looks legit, but then any "new" content seems misplaced. That's one of two things, our nostalgia or the lack of structure to rely upon. Like with Game of Thrones the writing took a sharp nosedive when they ran out of really solid book framework to work off of, and you can see that with the dialogue of Hojo, Sephiroth, Scarlett, and other things in the games writing if you read any of the leaked dialogue. The minute the original script isn't there we get things like "Arbiters of Fate" and OCs inserted where they weren't needed.

The issue I have with Avalanche is that even if it's not in the NEXT part they're going to bait the player/Cloud and Co with big deaths two times. They're giving Avalanche more importance which means if they drag out the final moments it not only changes the sudden-ness and blunt deaths of the original story and dragging them out, and with things like Jessie that means they might be doing the same trick twice by making a waifu and then killing them off. These changes seem minor when it's only in one part but fleshing out these characters wasn't really necessary and actually detracts from some of the interactions in the original game. The concept has some merit, but I'm wary of them dragging it all out.

The tone of FF7 will be not captured by this remake, if the current script and story is anything to go by. Sephiroth being there alone (even if he's a projection of Jenova as it seems to hint at in the trailer) is going to be cheese up the wazoo and completely recontextualize the journey ahead.

I think this will be a very VERY elaborately done and pretty fanfiction. People will say it won't hurt the original but I think calling it a remake and so many people calling it "faithful" does because it seems like majority of the elements being hammered in (Seph, Midgar, Shinra) are all surface level things that were small parts in a bigger story. I think exaggerating or focusing on those parts will take down the pacing and the tight narrative of the original, and that's not even speaking to the gameplay repercussions of the weapons being dragged from later gameplay parts into Midgar, materia growth over multiple parts and power creep, and how we're even transferring progress to begin with.

I'll end this post like I always feel I have to do because everyone thinks I'm a downer. I'm happy to be proven wrong, and unlike most people have no issues admitting when I am and I have been wrong before. I just have to mentally prep myself for people going "It's so amazing because it's just like the original but better" and people just really enjoying the spectacle of it. Here's hoping I and any of the dissenting opinions in this thread are wrong. I won't be posting about it again until I play the game I think.

The thing is, while VII will always have people "nitpicking" little things like the position of Cloud's sword in a cutscene or Tifa wearing a sports bra and not a short skirt, there really hasn't been much criticism levied at the remake thus far, ESPECIALLY NOT by the press. Square has been curating the hell out of the experience thus far to make sure the previews are as glowing as possible (this is standard operating procedure for all publishers, not just S-E), and nostalgia is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that regard too.

People like me who are like "well we really don't know how much content there's going to be and Square refuses to show any majorly new content in any previews thus far, so are we supposed to trust that this is going to really be a full-length RPG worth making us wait 3+ more years to see Junon or the Gold Saucer" are the minority here. By comparison FFXV was being ripped apart constantly by just about everyone because no one could agree on what the damn thing was even supposed to be.
Well and each trailer and new piece of content seemed to change what it was. Remember piloting mechs? Remember using your party members that was taken out and then added back in an update or DLC? Remember the Behemoth hunt? Remember when it was announced on the PS3? XV has plenty of reasons to be down on it, especially with the product we got.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think being worried about how much content there will be is a niptick though. This is a actual concern, it's hard to know how it will be besides them saying at E3 about being 2 blurays discs worth of content, but this could mean anything.

I'm talking about actual niptickings and hyperboles based on little to no evidence.

But talking about content again, the fact that they let the press play about 3-4 hours of playtime speaks positively about the game's lenght.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Ignis' complete meltdown when the black chocobo stole his glasses, and Noctis' hysterical laughter in response to Ignis whining about it, was such a great character moment. It's the most realistic dialogue exchange in ANY Final Fantasy game.
I don't get it when people say that the bros have no personality. They must have either played some other game or played with the volume off or something haha. I thought scenes like Noctis talking with Prompto late at night, Noctis being a wingman for Prompto, Ignis trying to get Noctis to cook, or just the general dialogue of the boys while wondering around. Easily the most fleshed out main cast, to be fair tho it's only four of them but hey. Quality over quantity I say.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
The Deadly Dodge Materia turns any attack made after evading an attack into a powerful melee strike. Any character can use it – not just Cloud.
Sounds like the Counter Slash ability from Kingdom Hearts except it's tied to dodge timing instead of guard timing.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
still mind boggles me on red taken straight out of the original concept art.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The renders just made me wonder for the first time... Who accessorized Red? He has no opposable thumbs. Is Bugenhagen all about fashion?

Also:

022.jpg

023.jpg

Jesus, FUCK. Kill it with fire.
What kind of abominations are that? 🤢

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

It's because it's a completely different genre. It's like if the next Avenger's movie was a straight up horror/slasher film and someone who hates superhero movies but loves slashers reviewed it:

"Well, I hated Avenger's 1-X because I hate superhero movies, but the new one is great because I love slashers! So I don't particularly care if the new movie practically has nothing to do with the established franchise, I want all Avenger's movies to be horror flicks now, old fans be damned!"

When reviewing games, people tend to live in their own little bubbles and like to ignore the context of the game; so long as the current game satisfies them at the moment they're happy. That's why it's so divisive; people who love flashy aciton games like KHIII will love it. People who like FFVII (Original) will hate it. Normally, such groups would self-censor and stick to the franchises they love, but when a franchiselike FF genre hops, this is what happens. SE wants gain new fans without having to give up the old established fans, and in the end they end up upsetting older fans that were basically bait-and-switched into buying a different type of game.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's because it's a completely different genre. It's like if the next Avenger's movie was a straight up horror/slasher film and someone who hates superhero movies but loves slashers reviewed it:

"Well, I hated Avenger's 1-X because I hate superhero movies, but the new one is great because I love slashers! So I don't particularly care if the new movie practically has nothing to do with the established franchise, I want all Avenger's movies to be horror flicks now, old fans be damned!"

When reviewing games, people tend to live in their own little bubbles and like to ignore the context of the game; so long as the current game satisfies them at the moment they're happy. That's why it's so divisive; people who love flashy aciton games like KHIII will love it. People who like FFVII (Original) will hate it. Normally, such groups would self-censor and stick to the franchises they love, but when a franchiselike FF genre hops, this is what happens. SE wants gain new fans without having to give up the old established fans, and in the end they end up upsetting older fans that were basically bait-and-switched into buying a different type of game.
I've actually seen largely positive reaction to VII-Remake from people who liked VII. I adore VII and I love what I've seen so far. The only real sticking point I've heard from lots of people is the narrative being split up between games, and we won't know how that works until the game itself releases.

I think the fact that this is incorporating some ATB elements into a new combat system is a really smart move.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
People who like FFVII (Original) will hate it.
That's a pretty silly statement to make. I played FFVII when it originally released in 1997 and I'm pretty sure I won't hate this remake. Most people aren't so hung up on whether a game is action-y or command-based, it's just hardcore turn-based/ATB-system fans who whine about this stuff.

A big portion of FF fans are fairly casual gamers who probably don't give a flying fuck about the move to being an action RPG. It's the world, characters and exciting audiovisual side that got people into these games, not the idea that they get to see characters stand in a row & picking commands from a menu. What happens (flashy, visually impressive combat) is more important than how it happens (people will enjoy seeing fiery explosions engulf enemies no matter if it's turn-based or action-based)

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

Ah, XV's main problems aren't that it strays too far from the "genre" of Final Fantasy (IMO, of course). And I would go so far as to say that a bulk of the criticism surrounding XV is decidedly not related to the ways it is different from prior games, but rather that it executes the tropes of the genres it's trying to emulate in rather mediocre ways.

As other people have noted, too: claiming that the 'old established' fans will be turned off by action combat (or whatever difference in game structure) is some of that 'bubble' thinking you're talking about. People like Final Fantasy for a lot of different reasons, and, speaking anecdotally, a large majority of the fans that I know aren't fans because of an attachment turn-based combat, but because of the aesthetic, the music, the recurring creatures, tropes, etc.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Ah, XV's main problems aren't that it strays too far from the "genre" of Final Fantasy (IMO, of course). And I would go so far as to say that a bulk of the criticism surrounding XV is decidedly not related to the ways it is different from prior games, but rather that it executes the tropes of the genres it's trying to emulate in rather mediocre ways.

As other people have noted, too: claiming that the 'old established' fans will be turned off by action combat (or whatever difference in game structure) is some of that 'bubble' thinking you're talking about. People like Final Fantasy for a lot of different reasons, and, speaking anecdotally, a large majority of the fans that I know aren't fans because of an attachment turn-based combat, but because of the aesthetic, the music, the recurring creatures, tropes, etc.
I think there's a mix here. I do think XV failed at what it was trying to do on its own merits. It was an open world action RPG with a boring open world, a bad action combat system, and poor RPG mechanics. But, to me, it also kind of rubbed salt in the wound that it didn't feel like anything I would have wanted out of a Final Fantasy game. The cast all looked similar (though I did like their characterizations), there was initially no control over your party members, no real strategy to the combat, and even the magic system was essentially changed into a grenade system to accommodate an action system. Chocobos were well designed and the summons were cool when they happened, but that's almost it.

So, to me, it was both. It failed on it's own merits, but it also failed to hit many of the Final Fantasy fan strings in me. Contrast this to the VII-Remake, which, despite being an action oriented combat system, is really hitting the right notes for me as an FF fan (even beyond it being a remake of the most important game in the series).

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I like the criticisms because it helps engage people with simpler minds (me) to sometimes expand upon their initial thoughts of something and start understanding it in a new light. Side quests are a perfect example of this: previously I was just happy to even have side quests, because I thought of them as more opportunities to go to other places of Midgar and explore the environments and art and all that, something I did a TON when I first played the original as a kid (I still remember the feeling of just WANTING more of that place to explore back then).

However, as I started to see people criticize and compare the side quests of The Witcher III, a game I still have not played admittedly, it kinda made me to check some of that game out to see what they were talking about. That game does indeed have some really meaty side quests, almost like episodes of a television show that would serve to flesh out the world and characters even more than the main plotline would have. And right now we really only know that the game has simplistic side quests like what you would find in an MMO. I'm... OK with the simple side quests but now that I know the possibility and potential for much meatier side quests is there, it's opened my mind a bit to how much better this game really could be. And it could have some of those side quests in there potentially!

But I get the worry over stuff like that, and it's understandable for people to really dig in and look hard for the Good Stuff™ like that, that they want in the game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The renders just made me wonder for the first time... Who accessorized Red? He has no opposable thumbs. Is Bugenhagen all about fashion?

Also:

022.jpg

023.jpg

While the chocobo chick looks weird but cute, Carbuncle looks bad through and through. The design, the proportions, the model quality. Does not look like the work of seasoned character/creature artists.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I think they were trying to go for some kind of designer animal vibe with Carbuncle and Baby Chocobo. At least Carbuncle makes me think of Pomeranian foreheads:

3xz6vOJ.png

But Baby Chocobo looks way too human in the face, like some bastardized Dreamworks-esque monstrosity. Either way, they both seem very out of place. 🤷‍♂️