• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I also think it would be really bizarre if Sony didn't push for a huge PS5 edition of this game before the exclusivity is up. It would be super smart to keep that deal rolling as long as possible. Ideally I would have said FFVIIR PS5 edition at launch day, but we've not heard anything about it and maybe that's unlikely at this point.
Good point. Even if it's not out at launch it will definitely get a new push right before Part 2 is released in 2-3 years time.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Comparison to 15? I only see two numbers reported, 2.6M first week, Xbox and PS4 and 8.9M as of December 2019, including consoles and PC (1M+).

FFXV
Nov 16' - 5M day one
Jan 17' - 6M ~45 days later
www.gematsu.com

Final Fantasy XV total shipments top six million

Total shipments and digital sales for Final Fantasy XV have exceeded six million units, Square Enix announced.
Jan 18'- ~7M ~ 15 months

FFXV had deals (50% off) in december 2016 and for example, FFVII has greatly outsold FFXV in Japan at full price. FFXV had to sell at bargain prices to empty its first shipment.

www.techradar.com

You can snag Final Fantasy XV Day One Edition for $35/£35 today

Choco-bro! This Final Fantasy XV price drop is outrageous

Let's see how well FFVII sells for the rest of the year but FFXV shipped huge numbers.

Last edited:

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As expected. Tensaiya Nomura is the one true tensai.

SE saw that clown thread yesterday and said let's turn that user into a full time clown.

Oct 25, 2017
The tensai memes in final fantasy threads always fucking kill me lmao. Also this is thoroughly well deserved, my second favourite game this year.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I also think it would be really bizarre if Sony didn't push for a huge PS5 edition of this game before the exclusivity is up. It would be super smart to keep that deal rolling as long as possible. Ideally I would have said FFVIIR PS5 edition at launch day, but we've not heard anything about it and maybe that's unlikely at this point.

Maybe they will when FFXVI is announced. They might use that moment to talk about FFVII Remake on PS5.

PEVO

Mar 15, 2019
Outer Heaven
Very impressive result. They will sell a lot more with the part 2 (if it will be as great as this) and then even more with all the collections.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this a lot less than KH3 and FFXV? I think I remember KH3 shipping 5m in a week and FFXV in a few days

Anyways they seem happy with it so I'm looking forward to part 2

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, a frontloaded mess, so much so that it's already been discounted on PSN.

xKLpno2.gif

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The game will sell gangbusters when it will be released for Xbox/PC/PS5. Also it will see another wave after PT2 gets released.
The game will easily surpass XV.

I think some of you definetly need context:

OG FF7: 10 Million ( PS1 Alone in 10 Years )
FF15: 8.9 Million ( All Platforms in 3 Years )
FFX: 8.5 Million (PS2 Alone in 12 Years)
FF8: 8.15 ( PS1 One Alone in 10 Years)
FF12: 6 Million (PS2 Alone in 3 Years)
FF9: 5,5 Million (PS1 Alone in 16 Years )

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
deserved. It's a goty. Physical copies were very scarce and you could sell the game for same price or higher after you beat the game for a long time.

Masterpiece.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Lol...

I also love it when people go "SE has weird expectations" when the last example of this was the Tomb Raider reboot before Wada left. They even changed their stance after that.

tombraider.tumblr.com

Official Tomb Raider Blog — A Special Note from Head of Studios Darrell...

A Special Note from Head of Studios Darrell...

(It is apparent an official tumblr page, when tumblr was still a thing).

Post Wada SE is no longer the same.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'll be honest, I was kind of expecting more. I know it's just one platform compared to two on launch for KH3 and FFXV but I was expecting 5m to be have been reached earlier given the hype surrounding it.

Still good numbers of course and easily a success for SE, I just thought it would have done even better by now.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That's nice for SquareEnix, they'll make money with other episodes and that's fine but I'm sure the complete game would have sell bigger imo

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like there wasn't a pandemic when those two came out.
Isn't the pandemic being shown to have been good for game sales (look at Animal Crossing for example)?

These are solid sales, and I'm glad the game turned out well! I'm still not a huge fan of the episodic release schedule, but hopefully parts 2 and 3 actually happen.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
This is not really good.

This is the most requested remake of all time, of one of the most beloved games of all time, and it needed 4 months to sell what a new entry sold in 3 days?

It's not because of COVID. Other games have been breaking records.

It's not because of exclusivity. It's not like XV sold that much on XBOX to justify the huge difference.

I think they failed to communicate the whole "episodic" nature of it. I know that some people think it's a Walking Dead kind of deal, but I doubt they would make a significant number given that it's named "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and all.

I'm sure it will hit much higher numbers eventually once it's on PS5 & PC... but.. yeah.

5M isn't bad for now... but SE are idiots if they weren't expecting more from the remake of Final Fantasy VII.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

The Massacre in March: Animal Crossing vs Final Fantasy 7 Remake

The face of chaos. The harbingers of all doom. So come March there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Doom Eternal's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Bloodlines 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Half-Life Alyx is tentatively slated for that month...

Your early morning read.
lol - this is much worse than i remember.
For some stuff era just cant be objective xD

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a change in tone from the Tomb Raider was disappointing sales talk. Personally I would have thought this would have sold more, but I'm happy that they're happy.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is not really good.

This is the most requested remake of all time, of one of the most beloved games of all time, and it needed 4 months to sell what a new entry sold in 3 days?

It's not because of exclusivity. It's not like XV sold that much on XBOX to justify the huge difference.

I think they failed to communicate the whole "episodic" nature of it. I know that some people think it's a Walking Dead kind of deal, but I doubt they would make a significant number given that it's named "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and all.

I'm sure it will hit much higher numbers eventually once it's on PS5 & PC... but.. yeah.

5M isn't bad for now... but SE are idiots if they weren't expecting more from the remake of Final Fantasy VII.

FF15 didn't sell 5 million in three days. It shipped that much. It was heavily discounted during the holidays so that initial shipment didn't sell all the way through quickly. FF7R sold 5 million in this much time at a higher price point, and a larger digital split so they made more.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV had deals (50% off) in december 2016 and for example, FFVII has greatly outsold FFXV in Japan at full price. FFXV had to sell at bargain prices to empty its first shipment.

Let's see how well FFVII sells for the rest of the year but FFXV shipped huge numbers.

Yeah if it one thing FFVIIR hold it price much long than FFXV and also had a much higher DD share.
So they most likely made much more money of off FFVIIR if we compare time frames.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
FF15 didn't sell 5 million in three days. It shipped that much. It was heavily discounted during the holidays so that initial shipment didn't sell all the way through quickly. FF7R sold 5 million in this much time at a higher price point, and a larger digital split so they made more.
To be fair, we don't know the actual sold number for FF7R either. We know it sold a minimum of 2m but the overall numbers are also shipped so we don't know the physical sell through.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is not really good.

It's most requested for jRPG fans... We are in 2020, Final Fantasy as an IP isn't as strong as it was in early-2020, and jRPG aren't also as big sellers. Gaming has changed a lot.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019

Sorry but this isn't really true.

VIIR went on multiple sales starting with May, a month after its release. The most recent one is running rn with 34% off.

Meanwhile, in a month since its release, FFXV shipped an extra million for a total of 6M.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, we don't know the actual sold number for FF7R either. We know it sold a minimum of 2m but the overall numbers are also shipped so we don't know the physical sell through.

FF15 was heavily discounted at this point. FF7 Remake is still full priced. I can't see them having a lot of stock. I'm pretty sure sold-through number is close to 5 Million.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This is not really good.

New entry ship in 3 days not sold and at a much higher ASP since FFXV was discounted fast .
Also even if this a beloved game it's still FF even after years of being on and on many system FFVII only around 14 million .

Sorry but this isn't really true.

VIIR went on multiple sales starting with May, a month after its release. The most recent one is running rn with 34% off.

Meanwhile, in a month since its release, FFXV shipped an extra million for a total of 6M.

That is just Ebay with Limited quantities and only 10 dollars off .

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
New entry ship in 3 days not sold and at a much higher ASP since FFXV was discounted fast .
Also even if this a beloved game it's still FF even after years of being on and on many system FFVII only around 14 million .
I dont think XV got discounted much faster than 7R. Maybe on Xbox in markets where the Xbox isnt relevant - but even then i cant see there being a big difference.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Somehow FF7r theads end up having a thinly veiled FF7R vs FF15 wars lol

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Seems like a good number, FFVIIR is still at full price right? iirc FFXV got overshipped/ discounted quite quick :P

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Console Warring
To put into perspective AC did 20 million with half the userbase... without discounts.

I am ready for the crows, serve it to me.

JYO1bXS.gif

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
FF15 was heavily discounted at this point. FF7 Remake is still full priced. I can't see them having a lot of stock. I'm pretty sure sold-through number is close to 5 Million.
Oh for sure, I'm certain SE has made more money from the Remake compared to XV when comparing their first 5m units thanks to the digital split alone. Only point I was making was that you emphasised shipped for XV and then said sold for Remake

Makr

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While these sales are really nice and put to shame yesterday's meme thread, seeing these numbers I can't help but recall an even more meme-y thread. Yeah, this one:

www.resetera.com

The face of chaos. The harbingers of all doom. So come March there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Doom Eternal's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Bloodlines 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Half-Life Alyx is tentatively slated for that month...

Your early morning read.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Your early morning read.

Wasn't Mario Kart the best selling Switch like at 20mil? Animal Crossing is crazy, might be the best selling first party game this gen.

Edit: it still is at 26mil but I wouldn't be surprised if AC passes it at this point.