• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Biggest overreaction to a trailer ever. Because he doesn't look like a total caricature of a black man like the first game, and the lighting is all in his face?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I've said it before, and i'll say it again, but this game is going to make the stars wars fandom sound sensible and measured by comparison.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, he doesn't look white. It's the damn lighting he is under. This crap is so out of control.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'd need to see more footage with different lighting before really forming an opinion on Barrett. Not a fan of the way he talked but again, it's too early to judge.

But I do agree with the tweet saying I wish they had gone with more stylized visuals. To me realistic Cloud will always look kinda stupid. I've never played Kingdom Hearts but the footage I've seen of him in it looked great.
Aerith was the only character I thought looked good in the trailer.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
sounds like white people complaining who don't know that black people come in more than one shade

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that looks "white" is his straight hair and beard. Should just be a short flat top.
Also why is his beard see through?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is a potential rash judgment based off limited information that people will try to use to shut down conversations they don't like.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This game was too highly regarded too long ago.

People's memory of the game isn't going to match with this new vision and they'll be mad.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Between this, the voice issue and the Aeris fan redesign, we should start a thread on "are FF fans the worst?" Man, let SE do their thing, is gonna sell like hot cakes no matter what cause that Gen X nostalgia is super lucrative these days (I'm a Gen Xer btw, remake my youth well enough and money will be thrown at you).

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Isn't that due to the lighting? What with a big ol' explosion going off right in front of him and everything.

Between this, the voice issue and the Aeris fan redesign, we should start a thread on "are FF fans the worst?" Man, let SE do their thing, is gonna sell like hot cakes no matter what cause that Gen X nostalgia is super lucrative these days (I'm a Gen Xer btw, remake my youth well enough and money will be thrown at you).

Yeah, it's getting a bit silly now. Nitpicking everywhere.

fuck real-time combat, go back to your turn-based roots!

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It is the lighting, of course Barret is black. This is just getting out of hand. People are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I thought his hair seemed a little odd at first but then I realized I was thinking of his Advent Children cornrow look.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Not every hot take on social media deserves oxygen. 4 or 5 people on Twitter having a problem with this doesn't translate into 'fans' in general sharing that view. Nor does it deserve articles being written about it. But I guess websites have to do what they can to get those clicks and views. *sigh*

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He still looks black to me but they definitely toned down some of his more impressionable features, his face looks a little more conventionally attractive (generally balanced out his head shape), and they notably tuned down his lips.

IpR2T5a.png

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I got real white washing issues to be mad at. And I condemn all those who accuse a property of white washing before its release. You saw maybe what could amount to 10% of all footage of the character and determined the devs are white washing? The reach is strong with some of you.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

I don't want to thread whine but... like... I'm sure someone, somewhere, honestly thinks that pigs fly. Do we need to make a thread to share that peson's opinion as if it was an actual conversation that was happening?

Barret isn't whitewashed. That's just ligthing doing lighting things. Everyone with two or more brain cells knows this. We don't need to entertain obvious trolling like this imo.

But if you think this is an actual conversation, sure, go ahead I guess

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, I remember seeing quite a few Japanese Tweets comparing him to prowrestler Masahiro Chono (of NWO Japan fame)

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Guarantee this game will cause the most fake outrage than any other game of all time.

Also as a black guy, he definitely looks and is black 1) its the lighting 2) even if it wasn't the lighting, there are different shades of black people

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
He still looks black to me but they definitely toned down some of his more impressionable features, his face looks a little more conventionally attractive (generally balanced out his head shape), and they notably tuned down his lips.

IpR2T5a.png
It's a very different artstyle, the remake is super realistic while this artwork is very cartoonish.

Also those aren't big lips, it's your average anime "big badass guy" mouth: