• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Debate about his voice aside, there is some surprising amount of complaints from some "fans" of Final Fantasy VII who are of the opinion that Barret looks too white for a black guy in the Remake:

Did they fucking whitewash Barret? #FFVIIRemake

Wait a second. I just rewatched this several times in a row and why TF does Barret look white? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is it my phone screen? What is going on here?

Also, what is up with Barret's hair? That shit looks relaxed and ain't no way Barret would use a relaxer or press. And I'm not even gonna get into his voice. That shit sounded like a white man try'na do a 'Yo, yo, yo!' black man's voice.

My self being a black man only concern with the trailer was why did they made Barret less black than he is. I want Barret to be a gruff black guy. Thats how I remember him.

Other quotes from Twitter:

Also on Reddit:

I've even seen complaint about this on ResetERA itself. What do you think? Should Square Enix have made Barret's skin darker and his hair more curly in the Remake?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
As a black person, he looks like a black person to me. Not like he isn't under some crazy, unnatural light conditions in the trailer.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That looks like a lighting thing if you ask me.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Not all black people look the exact same. Making him have stereotypical features would be just as bad.
Alot of black people are really light...

Oct 30, 2017
To me nothing is wrong with Barret... also nothing wrong with Aerith and there are fans calling her ugly.

Some fans will just complain about everything even when they are not true.

Nov 3, 2017
You're not a fan if you think he looks white? Crazy

Compare this
latest

to the newest trailer and he looks a lot lighter to the point where I'd make a case but I think the worst part is the beard

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread. Folks need to learn about how light works. I took a screencap from a clip in the new trailer that was close to the lighting of the 2015 trailer and the skin color looks the same.
ff7lightinguxkev.jpg

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm more disappointed that Barrett isn't gonna find an English equivalent to saying &$*%#^!+%# or whatever exact symbols he did in game

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, SE should just cancel this while they still can. They just can't get a win XD

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not trying to downplay concerns from black people but I always very much under the impression that it was the lighting, if anything.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
My complaint is his voice (as well as Cloud and Sephiroth's) seems to have changed

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
He is standing next to what is likely an explosion or a raging fire. He looks exactly as he did in the 2015 PSX trailer under "normal" lightning conditions.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not black so I can't really comment with authority on this but uh...qualifying black characters because they aren't black enough seems really off to me. Dude is obviously black. Maybe on the lighter side but Black is black.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we really need to highlight a small handful of tweets with like 5 likes and act like it's an actual conversation?

That being said, his hair looks off for sure.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Looks like a black guy to me. Seems more to me that some "fans" just like to have something to complain about. The white guys also dont look like a regular white ppl, its an anime art style mixed with realism.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
SMH, yeah lets just make him as stereotypical black guy as possible, I'm sure everyone will be much happier with that.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm willing to bet it's just lighting at this point (even Cloud looks kinda fucked in some scenes).

Now, if SE ends up pulling Virtua Fighter Vanessa type of whitewashing, then yeah, SE would deserve to get fucked for that

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really make a thread off a handful of people on twitter with like 5 likes each?

This is YouTube tier.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I cant wait for comers of the internet to be made they made FF7 remake too PC by making it about environmentalism.