• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedWolfe

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
This reeks of non-black people feeling that they need to be enraged for black people because Barrett doesn't fit their stereotypical view of what a black person should look like.

It's actually quite ironic.

Oct 28, 2017
Outrage culture getting worse every day. It's like people aren't happy if they aren't constantly complaining about something.
giphy-28.gif

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not this again. Are these topics going to be weekly until we get definitive proof that he is not?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
FF7:Remake was a mistake. If people are nitpicking of this then I hope they don't release the game fan's just don't deserve it.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How do people creating media have the energy to put up with all this.

In the short amount of time since that trailer dropped we've had threads with complaints that Barret sounds too "stereotypically black", Aeris' face is too long, and now Barret's face isn't black enough?

Are people actually complaining more or are people complaining as much as they usually do and it's just getting signal boosted more by outlets needing click? I can't imagine the majority of normal people actually care about any of these things.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've seen this come up before and I'm with everyone saying it's just the lighting. And honestly I don't know how one couldn't see that.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
At what point do we stop giving attention to petty insinuations and focus on more serious infractions?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This must be one of those debates about skin lightness and curliness of hair that us whites will never ever understand.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think it might actually be a similar situation to the infamous dress:
TO9gtuN.png

Yeah I think part of the issue here is that since it's probably at nighttime the overall diffuse lighting is pretty dim but there are lots of extreme sources. So it's easy to read as almost like both cases at once.

This kind of does actually happen though, because colorism is a thing. Mental Floss definitely got, as they say, some side-eye for how much they lightened (since-disgraced sex pest) Neil Tyson for one of their covers for that reason, since it seems like it's meant to try to make him look more appealing.

neil-cover.jpg

It's like dude's skin is a source of fusion there's so much light coming off it

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Not every tiny group of bad takes on Twitter need to be turned into the faux outrage du jour.
This.

People need to wait until we get an official render or a shot where the lighting source isn't coming from every fucking angle before making an outcry about this.
Agreed. Especially when there's so many lights hitting him there at once including that really bright light from the front.
Not to mention it's not like we haven't gotten continuous art updates of these characters and that has never happened to Barret so I don't expect it to now, especially when they've clearly been trying to make the characters very fitting to their art so far in this mixed anime/realistic style.

Also especially since we can see how extra bright Cloud's face is too right there thanks to the light burst from the attack going off.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All black people don't look the same. Not every black person is dark skin.

This reeks of non-black people feeling that they need to be enraged for black people because Barrett doesn't fit their stereotypical view of what a black person should look like.

Yeah this.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wait until Honey Bee Inn is (included/not included) and different groups become upset.

Oh.

Oh god

Front page of Era is gonna be stacked wall to wall

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, I'm out

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is out, I'm out

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, but it's not racy enough they toned it down

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, oh my god my eyes

Final Fantasy VII Remake: IT'S ALL OFFENSIVE FUCK SQUARE

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee Inn, I want to choose my own underwear, they should do DLC

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's lighting lol, reminds me of when people thought Thanos was pink which was just the result of the lighting on Titan.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
...This kind of does actually happen though, because colorism is a thing. Mental Floss definitely got, as they say, some side-eye for how much they lightened (since-disgraced sex pest) Neil Tyson for one of their covers for that reason, since it seems like it's meant to try to make him look more appealing.

neil-cover.jpg

It's like dude's skin is a source of fusion there's so much light coming off it
On a side note, I thought PBS investigated the Degrasse Tyson allegations and cleared him to return to air? Is he still "disgraced"?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this about sums it up. I've seen black people who (generally) look like Barrett.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
On a side note, I thought PBS investigated the Degrasse Tyson allegations and cleared him to return to air? Is he still "disgraced"?

I mean if you gave me time to look up some of the old discussion threads I could definitely find some clips of him behaving in a manner consistent with what accusations claimed about him. That said, Fox and NatGeo have allowed him to return to the shows. I can't find anything on PBS, and I think the planetarium might still be investigating?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i wonder if white people think black peoples skin doesn't also change in tone when explosions are around them.

Oct 30, 2017
By that logic you can start calling a lot of people not black enough or black. Its absurd, there is a variety of of skin colors and features among black people.

However, saying you would like Barret to have less European features or that you prefer to see him be darker with certain features that you feel represent your view of him better is totally fine. I would prefer to see him darker and have less mixed features. It seems that black people are typically designed as lighter skinned and mixed in games, and it would be a nice deviation to not do this.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I mean if you gave me time to look up some of the old discussion threads I could definitely find some clips of him behaving in a manner consistent with what accusations claimed about him. That said, Fox and NatGeo have allowed him to return to the shows. I can't find anything on PBS, and I think the planetarium might still be investigating?
Fox and NatGeo is likely what I was thinking of, I wasn't certain of what network he worked for.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Why's his hair gotta be white washed. What if Barret is Asian (brown) now, you feel me?

Dude looks black. The voice acting is crap, but that's for every character. God knows why. FFXII was their one hit wonder.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
His hair is really the only thing that feels off about his character model. That, and the fact that his glasses don't cast a shadow on his face at all.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really make a thread off a handful of people on twitter with like 5 likes each?

This is YouTube tier.
No we don't and yet here we are. All those tweets combined barely scratch 20 likes.

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill over a few seconds of footage by giving these complainers a megaphone.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Twitter was a mistake. People who can't understand basic principles of lighting is the reason why stuff like the black/blue white/gold dress was a thing back then

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, people do realise that not every black person has a skin colour identical to every other black person?

It's quite funny that it actually becomes rather racist and/or at best ignorant that some people expect every depiction of a black person to be some sort of "black face" resemblance.

"Hey, this character isn't as black as shoe polish, this means they are basically white!".

There is nothing wrong with Barret's skin colour and the screens cherry-picked to throw this idiotic crusade around are conveniently those which involve gunfire flash.

But, please continue signal boosting idiots on Twitter.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Oh.

Oh god

Front page of Era is gonna be stacked wall to wall

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, I'm out

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is out, I'm out

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, but it's not racy enough they toned it down

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, oh my god my eyes

Final Fantasy VII Remake: IT'S ALL OFFENSIVE FUCK SQUARE

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee Inn, I want to choose my own underwear, they should do DLC

There is so much to talk about... Honey Bee Inn is just the iceberg.

I want Gifs of Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith threatening Non-Con muti-play with Don Corneo.

I want to see how nuts people go over Cowboy Tourism Tifa.

Cid giving Shera the buisness minutes before Heidigger gets hit by a truck.

Zack doing squats in the back of a pickup truck, arguing with the driver.

But most of all, endless Gifs of Cait Sith.

Oh, also Spooky Square.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It also reminds me a lot of all the white people feeling they needed to be enraged for Mexican people because Mario wore a poncho and a sombrero in Super Mario Odyssey (something something "cultural appropriation") when in reality we didn't mind at all and even embraced seeing Mario in a sombrero.

Mario looked cute af as far as I'm concerned and as a Mexican I honestly didn't give a damn.

Last edited: