• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
You're not a fan if you think he looks white? Crazy

Compare this
latest

to the newest trailer and he looks a lot lighter to the point where I'd make a case but I think the worst part is the beard
Why he look like Malcolm Jamal Warner? Lol

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone needs to come up with a good tag line that signifies the upcoming shitstorm to come in June.

Because this right now? This is barely the beginning.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Things like this make me wonder what the reaction to Cloud beating the ever living shit out of Aerith is going to be.

Aug 29, 2018
And people wonder why companies like Nintendo try to circumvent anything political for as long as possible (unfortunately including identity politics and representation). They might just not be as familiar with what an accurate representation would be. All i see that is off though is the hair?

Barret along with every other representation is spot on to me

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
he literally doesnt look white at all...i will say that erasure of lighter skin tone black people is a huge problem even if he was lighter tone

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh.

Oh god

Front page of Era is gonna be stacked wall to wall

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, I'm out

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is out, I'm out

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, but it's not racy enough they toned it down

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee is in, oh my god my eyes

Final Fantasy VII Remake: IT'S ALL OFFENSIVE FUCK SQUARE

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Honey Bee Inn, I want to choose my own underwear, they should do DLC
Don't forget the whole cross dressing part. You know there will be someone complaining about how they handled that. It's a lose lose situation.

At this point I have to wonder if Square is wondering if this game will be worth all the trouble.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, not this talk again.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
I don't see it in his skin tone. Looks black to me. However, I'm one of the people that would appreciate the natural curly hair and even the fuller lips/round nose. Right now I'd have to agree and say he looks like a tanned biker guy.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget the whole cross dressing part. You know there will be someone complaining about how they handled that. It's a lose lose situation.

At this point I have to wonder if Square is wondering if this game will be worth all the trouble.

I genuinely think financially it will do solidly for the company even if a moderate hit and it's of good quality overall

Episode 1 (Full price, PS4, PC, XB1, standard and limited editions, PS5 and XB2 souped up versions likely at full price)

Episode 2 (Full price, PS4, PC, XB1, standard and limited editions, PS5 and XB2 souped up versions likely at full price)

Episode 3 maybe? (Full price, PS4, PC, XB1, standard and limited editions, PS5 and XB2 souped up versions likely at full price)

FFVII Remake Complete editions (PC, PS5, XB2, standard and collectors editions

However more than any other Dev team that I can remember, they really have my sympathy - the scrutiny they are going to come under even for the slightest nuance or contextual change or non change is going to be fucking insane

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Barret hair is acurate to his old model. Its pushed up, militair style. Just has a more modern look now. Complain moar at 11.

hunter-mortenson-screenshot000.jpg

Want to complain about his "white voice"? Blame the black voice actor that is voicing Barret. (I actually think his voice is fine as well)

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are people insane??? Of course he's back. Dear lord I'm already tired of FF7 reactions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Some people really dont have no other issues.....he isnt black because he uses a relaxer ? WTF.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it in his skin tone. Looks black to me. However, I'm one of the people that would appreciate the natural curly hair and even the fuller lips/round nose. Right now I'd have to agree and say he looks like a tanned biker guy.
"He doesn't look what I think a black man must look like ergo he's just some guy with a tan".

And I assume by "biker guy" you were saying a white biker guy, weren't you?

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that. Did that change was kept for the subsequent mobile and PC releases?

I'm not sure actually! The FF Wiki only says that it was because the original FFVI came out before the CERO rating system (the Japanese equivalent of ESRB) was created.

The scene where Celes is being tortured by the Empire was removed for the Game Boy Advance release of Final Fantasy VI. This is because the original Final Fantasy VI was created before the Japanese ratings board, CERO, existed. Violence is rated strictly in Japan, and Square wanted a CERO A rating for the Game Boy Advance version, which would have been impossible if a game depicts violence against a restrained human.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think it's just lighting
They did race change Noctis's dad though for FFXV, i have no idea why they did that.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He looks like a very typical japanese depiction of afro-americans. It's like he's caucasian except his skin color is black but he has none of the features that are common associated more with black people.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
it's the straight hair more than anything.

Yup. The skin is a super non-issue. Kinda unnecessary debate, and was already hashed out in the trailer thread, so I don't see a point beyond "get annoyed at internet outrage".

Shit's gonna happen with everything they reveal from this game.
"He doesn't look what I think a black man must look like ergo he's just some guy with a tan".

And I assume by "biker guy" you were saying a white biker guy, weren't you?

He probably meant "tanned biker guy" who happens to not have black facial features and curly hair.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'm so confused.

What the fuck is "non-con multi-play"? It sounds videogamey. Like no controller multiplayer.

Non-Consentual Mutilation-Play. I don't think he's quite into that!
1301236951697576004.gif

Anyway, back on topic, I feel like this is a little overblown, but this is also people on twitter making skin tone judgments based on inconsistent lighting, so I feel discussion on this angle might not be fully warranted.

I do appreciate, however, discussion on how his design was realized in this new engine, and I feel like they sorta toned down the exaggerated features in a good way. I look forward to using him in the game, and I hope we can get better renders to check out. Some design stuff with him definitely deserves inspection, like him having a straight fade.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it strange that some people can't see that new Barrett (based on what little they have shown) has some Caucasian-ish (not necessarily white) facial features when compared to the original model. That seems a little "one drop rule" like to me to not notice the difference at all.

I'm not someone outraged by this as I don't have much interest in the remake but it's a notable difference in design. I think a lot of characters in Japanese-made artwork end up looking mixed race for some reason and this is one of those cases.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It just looks like lighting to me. But Barret is pretty fucking dark skin so when more scenes come out we'll have to see if he retains the same complextion

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the skin concerns are just a result of the lighting, but I am concerned about his hair and voice from what I've seen and heard so far.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it strange that some people can't see that new Barrett (based on what little they have shown) has some Caucasian-ish (not necessarily white) facial features when compared to the original model. That seems a little "one drop rule" like to me to not notice the difference at all.

I'm not someone outraged by this as I don't have much interest in the remake but it's a notable difference in design. I think a lot of characters in Japanese-made artwork end up looking mixed race for some reason and this is one of those cases.

As somebody who is a mixed race black person with lighter skin, I'm actually interested in a distinct "mixed" vibe, even if it's just because of the art style. But there's no harm in pointing it out or saying you expected something different. Agreed, it is strange when people want to say "I see no difference", but they really just mean that they like the look, which is okay. Don't need to say things like "oh its white people trying to be woke on black people's behalf"... that really is a 'bad look'.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
hair was definitely modeled by somebody who hasn't been around any/many black people in their life. but other than that looks like a modern Barret more or less

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
He looks lighte skinned but I think it is ridiculous to claim he looks white skinned. I also think this is a clickbait topic...