• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Non-Consentual Mutilation-Play. I don't think he's quite into that!
1301236951697576004.gif

How do you expect anyone to know that from your random abbreviations?

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He looks like a black dude to me. His character is not African American. What were people expecting? Jubilant Catarina? The black phenotype is incredibly varied. People need to chill.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
There was a classic Chappelle bit where someone is describing a suspect to police, and as soon as they say "black," the cop says "ah, got it, wide nose, big lips, dick hanging out. I'll just draw him from memory."

If your idea of a "woke" critique reminds me of this bit because you sound like the cop, you're probably fucking up.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Someone needs to come up with a good tag line that signifies the upcoming shitstorm to come in June.
FF7 Remake: "Some fans are putting FF7 threads on ignore for the sake of their sanity"

I haven't even watched last weeks trailer since they pretty much said there'd be an extended one in a months time. I'm patient like that. Patience, give it a try! Things may be seen in a different light come E3!

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the people saying the voice sounds like a racist caricature of a Black voice, and I agree that his hair doesn't really fit the character. I understand why people would be touchy about whitewashing as well but it looks like a lighting thing to me.

cyress8

Avenger
People need to actually go out into the world and actually mingle with us in the real world.

There are some really light skinned black folk on this planet and the pics above have Barret a hell of alot darker than some of the ones I know.

We come in a shit ton of hues, folks.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
There have been certain legitimate concerns pertaining to the portrayal of Barrett but this is jumping the shark. At least, to me, it looks like a matter of the skin shading andlighting from an reddish yellow light source (fire). That other split second shot of him using his gun underneath more neutral white-ish light gives a truer picture of his skin colour.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Using a relaxer is a thing though, I don't think it's entirely too far fetched.

Just being honest, do you really think they went through the thought process of saying "Yes Barret is the type of dude to use a hair relaxer" when creating this look?

I don't. Whatever the intent of the design, I doubt that it was how they approached it.
hair was definitely modeled by somebody who hasn't been around any/many black people in their life. but other than that looks like a modern Barret more or less
How I feel. That's not a slight on the Japanese designers at all though.

Maybe they said "Let's not make his hair super curly", could have been their choice for all we know.
Remember Me's an underrated game with a mixed black/white main character, if you haven't played it.
Looks cool! Adding it to my wishlist to wait for a sale.

Woke Bespoke

Banned
May 12, 2019
Holding my breath on this one. I hope it's just a lighting issue. If they actually whitewashed him I'm gonna have to sit this remake out.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Maybe I'm missing something but what's wrong with his voice? Just watched the trailer again and don't see the issue.

It's how I pictured him talking based on his character from 1997, just without the cursing. Sounds like someone with a deep voice.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
As a black man myself...why did none of those people notice the lighting? Did they think light just doesn't work on us or something?

Last edited:

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Holding my breath on this one. I hope it's just a lighting issue. If they actually whitewashed him I'm gonna have to sit this remake out.

It's a fine line. Somebody here said "Barret is not African-American" as a reason for him to not have a "stereotypical" look.

In USA, darker skin does get pushed aside in favor of lighter skin. Pointier noses and straighter hair. Whitewashing IS a thing.

But it's tough to apply that context to a Japanese designer for a fantasy video game.

Then most of us just want to finally play the damn game. Design choice discussions are all we have for now :(

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but what's wrong with his voice? Just watched the trailer again and don't see the issue.

It's how I pictured him talking based on his character from 1997, just without the cursing. Sounds like someone with a deep voice.
You can check that that particular trash fare over here https://www.resetera.com/threads/ko...asculine-cartoon-and-a-mr-t-facsimile.116785/

And the Some Japanese fans don't like Aerith's face fire over here https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...ans-complain-about-aeriths-new-design.117104/

And well you're already in to the Barret's not Black Enough, fire here.

A 1 minute 7 second trailer has spawned all this in less that 7 days. I can't wait for this game to release.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
People have the hardest time understanding the concept of different surfaces looking different color under certain lighting conditions. Dante's hair in DMC5 also sparked conversation because it didn't look white in certain scenes.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Just being honest, do you really think they went through the thought process of saying "Yes Barret is the type of dude to use a hair relaxer" when creating this look?

I don't. Whatever the intent of the design, I doubt that it was how they approached it.

Maybe it's my caucasity poking through here but I can't imagine anyone would bother to use a relaxer if they keep their hair that short.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's my caucasity poking through here but I can't imagine anyone would bother to use a relaxer if they keep their hair that short.

I don't think a dude running a mercenary group in the slums of one of the poorest areas in the game would bother with relaxer. lol

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1) not all of us black people look the same. We're very varied
2) that one shot is obviously lighting. As stated. The other shots his complexion isn't any lighter than before
3) devs still have a difficult time with hair texture especially curly coiled hair texture, which i hope they can try to work on better but that goes for the industry at large too. Not trying to make an excuse for that, but I'm just saying that since it's obviously a thing devs need to work on in the industry for real time realistic coiled hair texture I'm not shocked at the results presented to us.

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
He looks black to me. The voice is pretty shot, though.

Why didn't they get Jet Black again?
I really don't want to say something that isn't accurate (as I'm essentially pulling this out of my ass), but I'd assume it might have been something like S-E wanting non-union voice actors.

That already happened with RE2 Remake this year iirc.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I'm even more perplexed stuff like hair relaxers are a part of the conversation, have you seen Cloud's or Sephiroth's hair? Do you think they use any hair product? It's not like those don't (probably) exist in that universe but people have weird hair just because, looking beyond that sounds like overanalyzing to me.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a dude running a mercenary group in the slums of one of the poorest areas in the game would bother with relaxer. lol

LOL. You guys with the hard hitting insight. My point still stands that I doubt this was even a discussion among the FF7R design team. It would have been awesome though if somebody in that hypothetical discussion was like "Barret's got style though! Dude totally relaxed his hair!"

I'm even more perplexed stuff like hair relaxers are a part of the conversation, have you seen Cloud's or Sephiroth's hair? Do you think they use any hair product? It's not like those don't (probably) exist in that universe but people have weird hair just because, looking beyond that sounds like overanalyzing to me.

Somebody brought it up so I ran with it. :D

Good point about weird hair in this universe.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

According to Crisis Core, Sephiroth uses an entire bottle of shampoo and hair conditioner when he washes his hair. It's canon.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, I think about it because a lot of characters in JRPGs have a kind of idealized beauty, so when the decision is made on a black man to make it looks like he uses product in his hair, it's just another example of how people go out of their way to avoid natural hair on black characters. It's especially funny to me given how many people went to bat for Barret being modeled after Mr. T.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: this thread is about a dozen random Twitter people whose tweets got around 30 likes combined. (To be fair, a Reddit post was also included, which is sitting at...*checks*...0 karma.)

I remain uncertain that backlash to Barret "looking white" is an actual thing.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
According to Crisis Core, Sephiroth uses an entire bottle of shampoo and hair conditioner when he washes his hair. It's canon.
That's ok, I'm sure all the characters wash their hair. Doesn't explain the weird shape, though, which is the point lol.

Well, I think about it because a lot of characters in JRPGs have a kind of idealized beauty, so when the decision is made on a black man to make it looks like he uses product in his hair, it's just another example of how people go out of their way to avoid natural hair on black characters. It's especially funny to me given how many people went to bat for Barret being modeled after Mr. T.
I understand, but we'll never know. The hair texture might be a result of problems with rendering curly hair, or it might've been an adamant character design decision. All kinds of different people have different hair too, independent of race, and that doubles for a fantasy setting. I understand it's a matter of representation and it's a sensitive one but in the end, it's up to the devs.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, would they even attempt to whitewash Barrett? I know they're usually tone-deaf, but they wouldn't hear the end of it on this one, so this really seems like a non-story.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It seems like a lighting issue. Barret has made numerous appearances over the years, some very recent (he has an event going on in Opera Omnia right now), and they've never altered his skin tone to appear whiter.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, can someone explain this to me? Looking at the tweet chain in the OP.

tweet1qhk3w.png

Then you look into this dude's tweets:

tweet23rj7p.png

Going back to the tweet chain, looking at another person:

tweet3eqjud.png

and going into their tweets:

tweet4mnk21.png

This isn't just me, right? This is some weird shit?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
a10UYXk.jpg

June trailer, 2 minutes later

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Fans complain about Tifa's design

Book it