• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to say something that isn't accurate (as I'm essentially pulling this out of my ass), but I'd assume it might have been something like S-E wanting non-union voice actors.

That already happened with RE2 Remake this year iirc.
Or could be that whatever VA theyre getting for these characters are going to be long term commitments and Jet's actor is 75 years old. I think that had a lot to do with it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Okay, can someone explain this to me? Looking at the tweet chain in the OP.

tweet1qhk3w.png

Yeah, pretty sure more than just the account he's replying to is notexactlylegit

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of stuff regarding Barret has always been problematic. Not surprised at all things still are. Ugh. Square Enix you a fucking non-Japanese branch. Talk to them. Get them to actually look over some of this stuff.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Or could be that whatever VA theyre getting for these characters are going to be long term commitments and Jet's actor is 75 yeard ols. I think that had a lot to do with it.
Yeah, I was surprised to learn his age the other day. He looks so much younger.

However, Cloud's VA (and Aerith's and Sephiroth's?) isn't the same, so maybe they just wanted a clean slate. Although the Japanese cast is the same, apparently.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was surprised to learn his age the other day. He looks so much younger.

However, Cloud's VA (and Aerith's and Sephiroth's?) isn't the same, so maybe they just wanted a clean slate. Although the Japanese cast is the same, apparently.
They shuld've never hired star talents to voice these characters. Hiring Mandy Moore and Rachel Leight Cook couldnt possibly be sustained for the long term.

The only reason Kingdom Hearts sort of pulls somthing like this off is because Disney's involved and owns the IP.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He looks black in the trailer. Lighting might give the impression to some people that he has a lighter skin tone, but I'd say it isn't the case.

And if the artist decided to give gim a slightly whiter tone, would be ok. As if they decide to give him a darker skine tone. Artists always should be free to do whatever they want.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
But... why do I care what "some" people think? Also, do people not know what lighting does when its shined on you?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
A lot of stuff regarding Barret has always been problematic. Not surprised at all things still are. Ugh. Square Enix you a fucking non-Japanese branch. Talk to them. Get them to actually look over some of this stuff.

You should read the thread. There's nothing problematic about Barrett in what's been shown of FF7 Remake.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Release date, 12 hours later

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Fans complain about Cloud's crossdressing scene.

Book it.

Putting aside that the "some fans" framing is a little too conducive to threads about random Twitter people, the fact that there is gonna be so much to discuss about the remake is one of the more exciting things about it. There will inevitably be people who don't like the execution of the crossdressing scene, yes. You're maneuvering around ridiculous amounts of nostalgia and investment, around a scene that resonates a bit differently today than it did back then, around the inherent weirdness of translating all those 90s sensibilities (technical and otherwise) into a modern game. The possibility that SE will straight up fuck something up is fairly high; the possibility that SE will disappoint some group of people is even higher. :P

Some in this thread seem to be priming themselves to react with indignation when they see people complain about this or that, but come on. SE's take on modern FFVII being scrutinized from a million angles is both inevitable and part of the whole fun of it.

(Not that all complaints are equal. A handful of Twitter uses complaining that Barret looks white = dumb. Wishing Barret's hair was less straight = perfectly fine.)

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the other thread. Folks need to learn about how light works. I took a screencap from a clip in the new trailer that was close to the lighting of the 2015 trailer and the skin color looks the same.
ff7lightinguxkev.jpg

A) Barrett looks *fucking awesome* ... like Blade on 'roids...

B) He definitely does not look "white" or like he has had his blackness faded out... oof this is gonna make people look silly.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It's not just the lighting. The hair and facial structure seem a little off, especially considering the obvious Mr T inspiration in the original character. It's not worth getting angry over but it's definitely noticeable.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Fans didn't need a public forum for their opinions on everything. Dude looks like a black person. Arguing about him being "black enough" is the same trash I had to listen to as a kid, with my lighter skin and manner of speech straight out of my (mostly white populated) suburban upbringing. The qualifiers need to go.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i hope nobody complain that cloud hair look like other colour than yellow lol

I'll be shocked if there's a single thread that complains about any character who isn't female or a PoC. At least from a design standpoint.

You're sure as shit not going to see any "Fans complain about Vincent" threads.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
*sigh*

Between this and the people complaining Aerith's face being too long, I am really growing tired of the pathetic/idiotic people complaining all the time.

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, can someone explain this to me? Looking at the tweet chain in the OP.

tweet1qhk3w.png

Then you look into this dude's tweets:

tweet23rj7p.png

Going back to the tweet chain, looking at another person:

tweet3eqjud.png

and going into their tweets:

tweet4mnk21.png

This isn't just me, right? This is some weird shit?

Goes without saying these days that GamerGate, 2016 (and coming soon 2020!) election meddling, anti-vaxxerism are all emanating from the same place, using these bots.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Bro, you picked posts with like 4 likes.

Uhhh

Oh dang, we've been had!

Actually, I really should have known this conversation was gonna be spurred on by a vocal minority. That trailer was a massive big deal, you'd think they would be breaking 2 digits if so many people agreed!

While I appreciate getting some light shone on some of Barret's design, I totally agree, this was blown up way out of proportion.

C'mon, OP. you didn't have to take a bunch of minimally viewed twitter posts to take the heat for a conversation you wanted to start. I get not wanting to get dog piled, happens a bit too much these days, but now we got a thread with everyone fired up for no reason.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off presumptive, I'm just disappointed in yet another thread where everyone just dunks on obviously disagreeable outrage.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, you picked posts with like 4 likes.

Uhhh

...and a random Reddit post with 0 karma in which 90% of the commenters (like 6 people) disagreed with the OP.

Hair is questionable but he looks fine. Wasn't aware that all black characters had to fit stereotypes

The idea that Barret looks white/not black is dumb, but I don't know that this is necessarily about stereotypes. Colorism, whitewashing, etc. are problems; developers frequently being bad about things like common black hair types (and curly hair in general) is a problem; and seeing as Barret is an established character, it's definitely fair to keep those problems in mind as you scrutinize the ways in which the new design strays from the original.

This just happens be a case where a handful of random people on social media apparently got confused by the concept of lighting and were a little quick to pull out the "why isn't Barret black anymore?" card.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it's the lighting being used in those scenes.

I doubt SE would be stupid enough to willingly open up a can of worms with this game in particular being what it is.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Making stupid ass threads about "some fans" complaining about stupid ass things is giving these stupid ass "fans" the relevance they seek

ffs