• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
But... why? Like, Square makes some bad decisions, I'll give you that. But what is the reason we believe that this would be one? Why would they cut a fan favorite character from the roster of a remake of their most prestigious game?

The decision makes sense in the first one because of Red's place in the story. But it would make no sense for him to not be playable in future games.

I don't mean to accuse, but it sounds like cynicism for the sake of cynicism to believe that.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm very cynical when it comes to Square. They've disappointed me so much in the last 15 or so years that I have virtually nothing but negative thoughts about them. I'm always expecting them to let me down, and they always do.

So yeah, don't worry about the accusation. It's completely, 100% right.

Like this:

That's like saying you expect Square to cut out Vincent because he wasn't in the first game. Literally no reason to think such unless you're just being negative for the sake of being negative.

And this:

why use resources for an already costly game for a character that is

A: only playable for a few hours at best

B: would not come close to having the same amount of things to do with as the others do

He'll be in future games. Come on now. Iirc he is even listed in playable, just isn't yet

And this!:

someone really said they don't think red 13 will be playable in the next game

the thinking of some people, yikes

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't notice it the first time around, reading about it sounds terrible but it's actually kinda dope. Wouldn't have minded if it was a tad more subtle or quieter but it doesn't overstay its welcome
It's REALLY dope, yeah, it was very tastefully done.

It's not terribly subtle, as you said, but from the perspective of someone playing the game for the first time, it likely won't stand out THAT much, just a somber tone to a scene where it's fitting. Scary alley, uncaring world, all that. And ending with a note of hope.

The music in this game will be fucking amazing.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. I'm very cynical when it comes to Square. They've disappointed me so much in the last 15 or so years that I have virtually nothing but negative thoughts about them. I'm always expecting them to let me down, and they always do.

So yeah, don't worry about the accusation. It's completely, 100% right.
Hey, I totally get it, man. I haven't liked a full fledged FF game since XII, and I haven't LOVED one since X or earlier. And I absolutely despised XV. I was completely cynical about this project until the re-reveal last year and they started showing decisions that I really liked.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Here:

It's beautiful.

Ah, I see what they did there. That works. I was expecting it to be a lot more in your face.

Too much Upper Midgar in the actual cinematic, though. I get that the opening always looked like that but making an unplayable part of the game world look that good is just frustrating after Versus.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They're already using it as leitmotif for the very first cutscene in the game. Starts at around 50 seconds into the game, IIRC.

It sounds kind of amazing, though.

EDIT: Correction, 35 seconds
I don't think it's meant to be a leitmotif. It's diegetic. Aerith is actually hearing the chanting. I think she's hearing some Sephiroth "clones" or the Lifestream is singing it due to Sephiroth infecting it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It makes zero narrative sense to end the game at the end of Midgar, too. It's the very end of the prologue - it'd be like stopping Kingdom Hearts 2 right when Sora wakes up at the end of Roxas' chapter.
Roxas's chapter is barely over an hour into the game, so no it's not the same at all.

As someone said itt, Midgar is about a third of the script for the entire game. It just goes by more quickly because the pacing is a lot slower post-Midgar with the dungeons.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they would cancel it but they really should try to do it in no more than three games. It just wouldn't be good to stretch this out too long, especially if it's mostly the same story

I wouldn't really be surprised if the plan is for the Final Fantasy VII Remakes to be a more streamlined, story-focused RPG, while FFXVI, FFXVII, and so on continues down the direction of FFXIV and FFXV and are more open, unrestricted RPGs.

Then they might be able to get the remakes out a little faster and at a more consistent pace, differentiate them from the direction the mainline series is going in, and keep the challenges of building increasingly large worlds as something for the core mainline series to deal with instead of trying to create a bunch of huge open world RPGs in multiple games at once.

I don't know, that just doesn't seem like very many bosses to me. Granted, I don't play a lot of modern games, so maybe it's the norm in this day and age. But when I compare it to the RPGs of the past, it doesn't seem like a lot.

If I'm counting correctly (with the knowledge that some of those enemies are going to be in the same fight) it appears to be about 19-21 story boss fights. Kinda light by JRPG standards, you can go back to the SNES era and find games with quite a bit more, but for a 20-30 hour game it's probably not too bad. Would amount to a boss fight every hour or two.

Overall it seems like a fairly...compact game. They were more literal than I expected when they said it's a remake of the Midgar arc of the original game, there's a few new fights in there and the last Midgar fight has been replaced, but there's nothing in the boss list that suggests they're going to take players on any massive detours from the sequence of events in the original story. You can make a rough but likely fairly accurate guess of when and where most of the boss fights happen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Roxas's chapter is barely over an hour into the game, so no it's not the same at all.

As someone said itt, Midgar is about a third of the script for the entire game. It just goes by more quickly because the pacing is a lot slower post-Midgar with the dungeons.

Again. The percentage of the script is not that important. Midgar has a lot of talking but almost nothing happens there. It's like five events. This talking point that people keep citing misses the point that CONTENT is more important than dialogue density.

And yes, Roxas' chapter is about two and a half hours, up to about three or four if you do everything. Midgar is about four hours, six if you're a very slow player. It's the same thing. They're both extended prologues.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Ah, I see what they did there. That works. I was expecting it to be a lot more in your face.

Too much Upper Midgar in the actual cinematic, though. I get that the opening always looked like that but making an unplayable part of the game world look that good is just frustrating after Versus.

upper midgar could be used in the return to midgar Mako Cannon mission. That could be expanded massively as it was hilariously brief in original you basically walk around a corner and your at the cannon.

plus they could have a FFXV style major boss fight with Proud Clod thought the streets and roofs of the upper plate

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't notice it the first time around, reading about it sounds terrible but it's actually kinda dope. Wouldn't have minded if it was a tad more subtle or quieter but it doesn't overstay its welcome
Must be pretty subtle if you and a lot of other people didn't notice initially. I definitely overlooked it until just now.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
The flashbacks at Kalm would be the best point to end the game.Finish off Midgar and move on to the hunt for Sephiroth.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
eah, pretty much. I'm very cynical when it comes to Square. They've disappointed me so much in the last 15 or so years that I have virtually nothing but negative thoughts about them. I'm always expecting them to let me down, and they always do.

You should probably not be fretting too much about Square releases in the future, or at least be willing to wait for reviews/discounts for future titles. If there was ever a company that I felt this way about I'd refuse to give them my money.

Doesn't make you any less of a FF7 fan - it's the opposite, really. End of the day SE is a corporation that wants to make money off of you.

I don't think it's meant to be a leitmotif. It's diegetic. Aerith is actually hearing the chanting. I think she's hearing some Sephiroth "clones" or the Lifestream is singing it due to Sephiroth infecting it.

First gut reaction to this if true is hate, but....Canonizing an aspect of a track into other parts of a game is a super sick trope that I can't get enough of. Hope they do it right

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I wouldn't really be surprised if the plan is for the Final Fantasy VII Remakes to be a more streamlined, story-focused RPG, while FFXVI, FFXVII, and so on continues down the direction of FFXIV and FFXV and are more open, unrestricted RPGs.

Then they might be able to get the remakes out a little faster and at a more consistent pace, differentiate them from the direction the mainline series is going in, and keep the challenges of building increasingly large worlds as something for the core mainline series to deal with instead of trying to create a bunch of huge open world RPGs in multiple games at once.
I can kind of get behind this, but I'm really digging the gameplay concepts that this game is introducing (just in concept, I haven't played it yet).

If this real-time/ATB mixture works, I think I would want to see future games adopt it for a while. I think FF needs a gameplay identity back, like it had from IV-IX. Not identical, but building on similar foundations.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
That was my first thought too, that she's hearing the clones/Sephiroth's presence in the Lifestream. If they can use those Latin chants as a motif the same way as Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec in FFVIII then that'd be sick.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of get behind this, but I'm really digging the gameplay concepts that this game is introducing (just in concept, I haven't played it yet).

If this real-time/ATB mixture works, I think I would want to see future games adopt it for a while. I think FF needs a gameplay identity back, like it had from IV-IX. Not identical, but building on similar foundations.

As long as they do the world a favor and GET RID OF STAGGER. I'm so sick to death of stagger gauge mechanics. Being unable to damage enemies significantly until you deplete another completely different gauge is just horrible design and I wish they left it to rot with XIII.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Not a fan of shoving a Seph fight into Midgar
I'm not a fan of it when taking the VII story as a whole, but I think it was kind of necessary for making this first episode a complete experience on its own.

At the very least, they were gonna have to give us a final boss with more narrative weight than the giant robot at the end of OG Midgar.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Again. The percentage of the script is not that important. Midgar has a lot of talking but almost nothing happens there. It's like five events. This talking point that people keep citing misses the point that CONTENT is more important than dialogue density.

And yes, Roxas' chapter is about two and a half hours, up to about three or four if you do everything. Midgar is about four hours, six if you're a very slow player. It's the same thing. They're both extended prologues.
Roxas' chapter is not 4 hours to do everything LOL. Of course I've played through it countless times, but even taking my time to do everything I clock in 2 and a half hours as my MAX (there's not really a ton of extras to go for). If I'm speeding through everything I can have it done in just over an hour. Definitely can't do that in Midgar without cheating somehow.

Although only time will tell, I expect a lot more deviation with the following episodes, and wouldn't be surprised if they outright removed some moments or rearranged them to speed up the pacing later on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Roxas' chapter is not 4 hours to do everything LOL. Of course I've played through it countless times, but even taking my time to do everything I clock in 2 and a half hours as my MAX (there's not really a ton of extras to go for). If I'm speeding through everything I can have it done in just over an hour. Definitely can't do that in Midgar without cheating somehow.

Although only time will tell, I expect a lot more deviation with the following episodes, and wouldn't be surprised if they outright removed some moments or rearranged them to speed up the pacing later on.

If they cut a bunch of shit from later installments, that would make them liars. Their whole argument for going episodic in the first place was that they would have to cut things to remake the game all at once and they didn't want to do that.

I mean, Square lies all the time, so that would track with their established history, but I would sincerely hope they aren't stupid enough to use "we don't want to cut stuff!" as their excuse for making this game into a $200 juggernaut and then still cut things anyway.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is it.

Sephiroth corrupting the Lifestream is cool and makes sense within the context of the story. I just hope they don't go overboard with having these "watchers," or whatever they are, everywhere. And they're going to have to be careful with how they portray Sephiroth's search for Aerith. In the original game, we had no idea that Sephiroth was hunting Aerith until literally moments before he killed her. Having him hunt her from the very beginning will take away a lot of the impact of her death. In the worst case scenario, it could even lead to a situation where Square changes the narrative so that we save her this time. Especially if they make her more of a damsel this time around.

But this is all 5-10 years away, so not much need to worry too much about it right now.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
... I didn't even think about that.

There will be so many youtube videos focused on beating Sephiroth with Aerith only, or something like that, hahahaha.
That reminds me, I'm actually really excited that there's a hard mode. Hopefully that means there's some real depth to the combat or character builds to play with.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
To make Sephiroth work they could copy Advent Children. Have this new Solider enemy use a Jenova piece and merge with it like Kadaj then is takes form of Sephiroth.
Then twist it further by only Cloud seeing Sephiroth like a hallucination and him losing control have screen flash showing it still the solider guy for a spilt second. They could then use that for when cloud goes mental and beats shit out of Aerith later.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
But it makes zero sense from a narrative standpoint. The remake should not be split up based purely on gameplay.
I always felt it would have been a great place in the story to end Part 1. It brings back the spooky feeling of shin-ra HQ and it traditionally was your first time seeing "Sephiroth" and battling Jehnova. Then the next part begins in the Sunny rays of Costa Del Sol with Hojo right after that crazy cryptic bloodbath (and Red XIII walking on two legs)

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
You should probably not be fretting too much about Square releases in the future, or at least be willing to wait for reviews/discounts for future titles. If there was ever a company that I felt this way about I'd refuse to give them my money.

Doesn't make you any less of a FF7 fan - it's the opposite, really. End of the day SE is a corporation that wants to make money off of you.
I can't even remember the last time I paid money for a Square game that wasn't a re-release of an older game. It's been a very, very long time.

I don't even have a PS4 (my friend does), so I won't be buying FF7R under any circumstances. If my friend likes it, I'll borrow it from him sometime in the future. However, I honestly don't plan to get too invested in this project until it's nearly done. I've been never been a huge fan of episodic content. I like my stories to be whole.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they do the world a favor and GET RID OF STAGGER. I'm so sick to death of stagger gauge mechanics. Being unable to damage enemies significantly until you deplete another completely different gauge is just horrible design and I wish they left it to rot with XIII.

I appreciate it (especially as it's not in your face and mandatory as 13 was).

When they brought the FF7 e3 Guard Scorpion demo (the one without triangle buttons) to a local con, I played it. When killing grunts on my way to the boss I remember getting worried that since there was a somewhat-disproportionate focus on the slashing/shooting over ATB usage for keeping up offensive, not only would enemies with large health pools (like bosses) be needlessly long and repetitive (whilst not having the same strategy a typical turn based game would have) but a LOT of casuals and reviewers would talk crap about it. Then they revealed stagger at the boss.

Stagger gives a reason to do more than slash and dodge all day, as it rewards players to experiment with Materia and exploit weaknesses (like a build up to SMT/Persona's Once More stuff). Also gives incentive to save your bigger attacks for a specific moment in the battle than to just throwing them all at the enemy right when the battle starts over and over.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

Damn you're going to freak when you see the actual upper plate cinematic.

It looks so good 😅😥

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
For how to split the game into multiple parts, I actually disagree on the most common suggestion on how to end part 2. To break it down, here's how I'd split the game into three.
  • Part 1 is Midgar, which is what we're getting here, so moving on.
  • Part 2 starts in Kalm, goes all the way through to the destruction of Mideel, leaving Cloud and Tiifa stranded in the Lifestream, and Cid leading a party he has no idea what to do with.
  • Part 3 starts with Cloud and Tifa revisiting the actual events of Nibelheim five years ago, and goes all the way to the end.
This split lets you have three easily available tutorials, one for each game. Bombing Run in Part 1, flashback as Cloud in Part 2, and flashback as Zack in Part 3. It also allows Aerith to feel missing in part 2, as you have to press on without her, meaning if you had relied on her heals, you have to readjust. If you just end in City of the Ancients, you lose this aspect. It also ends with the party at their lowest point, the Weapons running loose, and, of course, Meteor in the sky.

The major downside is that you need the entire world done by part 2. You will visit ALL locations there, except the final dungeons. However, I would definitely move all the Zack parts to part 3, finding out the truth and all that. Then fleshing out the Huge Materia parts, and finally returning to Midgar and the last showdown at the Northern Crater.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate it (especially as it's not in your face and mandatory as 13 was).

When they brought the FF7 e3 Guard Scorpion demo (the one without triangle buttons) to a local con, I played it. When killing grunts on my way to the boss I remember getting worried that since there was a somewhat-disproportionate focus on the slashing/shooting over ATB usage for keeping up offensive, not only would enemies with large health pools (like bosses) be needlessly long and repetitive (whilst not having the same strategy a typical turn based game would have) but a LOT of casuals and reviewers would talk crap about it. Then they revealed stagger at the boss.

Stagger gives a reason to do more than slash and dodge all day, as it rewards players to experiment with Materia and exploit weaknesses (like a build up to SMT/Persona's Once More stuff). Also gives incentive to save your bigger attacks for a specific moment in the battle than to just throwing them all at the enemy right when the battle starts over and over.

See, I think stagger makes fights longer and more repetitive itself. By making enemies incredibly tanky and your attacks do nothing unless you stagger them, it basically makes ANY action you take that isn't directly contributing to stagger damage completely irrelevant.

Like in SMT games, when you exploit a weakness, it's exploited then and there. You immediately see the benefit. But in games with stagger you have to KEEP DOING IT over and over and over again and then when the enemy is staggered you have to...keep hitting them. So all it does is just slow down combat significantly before you can do any real damage. If instead, a stamina break caused a huge amount of damage instantly, it wouldn't be problematic. There's a tangible reward for all your weak, pathetic plinky attacks.

But the fact that all staggering does is reduce the enemy's defense and make it so they can actually be damaged? That's shit.

For how to split the game into multiple parts, I actually disagree on the most common suggestion on how to end part 2. To break it down, here's how I'd split the game into three.
  • Part 2 starts in Kalm, goes all the way through to the destruction of Mideel, leaving Cloud and Tiifa stranded in the Lifestream, and Cid leading a party he has no idea what to do with.
  • Part 3 starts with Cloud and Tifa revisiting the actual events of Nibelheim five years ago, and goes all the way to the end.
This split lets you have three easily available tutorials, one for each game. Bombing Run in Part 1, flashback as Cloud in Part 2, and flashback as Zack in Part 3. It also allows Aerith to feel missing in part 2, as you have to press on without her, meaning if you had relied on her heals, you have to readjust. If you just end in City of the Ancients, you lose this aspect. It also ends with the party at their lowest point, the Weapons running loose, and, of course, Meteor in the sky.

The major downside is that you need the entire world done by part 2. You will visit ALL locations there, except the final dungeons. However, I would definitely move all the Zack parts to part 3, finding out the truth and all that. Then fleshing out the Huge Materia parts, and finally returning to Midgar and the last showdown at the Northern Crater.

Mideel is way, way too far into the game. By the time you get to Mideel EVERY SINGLE major location in the game except for the final dungeon will have already been visited at least once. They would essentially have to build the entire game for part 2, and they didn't even manage a shred of the game world for part 1. It just doesn't track.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

I'm a trilogy advocate too, but I think Mideel is too far for the second game. I'd say the City of the Ancients or the first trip to the Northern Crater for part 2. I'd prefer the latter, because it sets up a nice set of bookends for that game: Nibelheim Flashback to start, the truth about Nibeliheim to end. But even that's a lot of ground to cover for a second part.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Episode 1 ending with the escape from Midgar makes perfect sense.
It's self contained and has enough hook for the sequel where the real story begins.
Ep. 1 sets the stage and introduces the world and characters, while still having a 'bad guy' defated and the triumphant heroes.
It's like FFVII's A New Hope.
(assuming this is a 3 parts saga) Episode 2 should start directly with the Kalm flashback (cold open with Cloud and Sephirot in the truck) and end with the big reveal (so you have the opening/ending parallel), and if we were to keep the SW analogy, it should end with Sephirot's awakening in Northern Crater to have the perfect Empire Strikes Back effect, with the heroes defeated and a soking truth revealed.
Then of course Ep. 3 should open in Mideel and like Return of the Jedi, it is the heroes coming back together in full strenght for a final fight.

That reminds me, I'm actually really excited that there's a hard mode. Hopefully that means there's some real depth to the combat or character builds to play with.

Wait, there is a hard mode?

To make Sephiroth work they could copy Advent Children. Have this new Solider enemy use a Jenova piece and merge with it like Kadaj then is takes form of Sephiroth.
Then twist it further by only Cloud seeing Sephiroth like a hallucination and him losing control have screen flash showing it still the solider guy for a spilt second. They could then use that for when cloud goes mental and beats shit out of Aerith later.

Yeah, if it was up to me, i would have made this Roche guy another SOLDIER with Jenova cells, or maybe as you say he takes some himself or Hojo gives them to him in the Shinra HQ because "i need to be stronger!" or whatever, have him chase the party on the highway instead of Motor Ball, and after the chase he transforms in some sort of Jenova-Sephirot hybrid.
That would have been enough to set that there is something wrong with SOLDIERs while still keeping a veil of mystery, while giving the player a proper final boss. The idea of Cloud seeing Sephirot's image in his place is also a clever trick.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1 ending with the escape from Midgar makes perfect sense.
It's self contained and has enough hook for the sequel where the real story begins.
Ep. 1 sets the stage and introduces the world and characters, while still having a 'bad guy' defated and the triumphant heroes.
It's like FFVII's A New Hope.
And if we were to keep the SW analogy, (assuming this is a 3 parts saga) Episode 2 should end with Sephirot's awakening in Northern Crater to have the perfect Empire Strikes Back effect, with the heroes defeated and a soking truth revealed.

But the heroes didn't defeat anyone. They failed, the plate got dropped, they got captured by Shinra and then President Shinra got murdered by someone else. The heroes basically failed at everything they set out to do and had to run away from Midgar with their tails between their legs.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
But the heroes didn't defeat anyone. They failed, the plate got dropped, they got captured by Shinra and then President Shinra got murdered by someone else. The heroes basically failed at everything they set out to do and had to run away from Midgar with their tails between their legs.
But that's still a valid ending to the conflict. It's an escalating war between Eco Terrorists willing to kill innocents, and a MegaCorporation oppressing the poor and sucking the planet dry. Having no one come out on top is a pretty salient ending for that arc.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have the exact data, but I believe one of the leaks stated that you unlock hard mode and chapter select after beating the game once.

Good to know!

Hmm yes, i think you are right.
Maybe i am wrong in this, the heroes actually do not defeat the enemy and as you say they fail (although Shinra still kinds of gets messed up), but it still ends on some sort of positive note there on the highway, like "yeah it was a huge mess but we came out in the end", i guess?
Still, i think it is a solid note to end the first arc in a self-conclusive-yet-more-to-come-and-discover way.

Then again, maybe the Remake fucks up more and more things making our discussions moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.